1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster I called it a putback in an earlier post ( the Fatts/Martin play) and Koch called it a putback. Sure looked like a shot and putback to me. Awesome play by Martin. It was a key play as it turned out.

And I agree on removing Dowtin while he was smoking hot. Didn't like it but understand the concept with the fouls.

So at the 5:30 remaining mark, URI huge lead was down to 69-60 and fans were getting restless. Russell shot the airball 3-pointer, Martin very alertly grabbed the errant shot, put it in and got fouled, making the old-fashioned 3-point play to put URI up a more comfortable 72-60. It sounds like DiSano is also referring to this play.

If it was an errant 3-point shot, then it was a heck of an alert play by Martin to go up and grab it, not waiting for a rebound that would never happen because it was not going to hit the rim. Russell got an assist on it, but it seems to me Martin should have gotten an offensive rebound for it instead. Not sure how official scoring works if a ball does not hit the rim.

On another note, in the 2nd half, Langevine shot an airball from the right side of the rim, went under the rim and caught his own errant shot and if I remember right he scored. It was very unusual looking but to me that should have been called traveling by the Refs. Only exception would have been if a VCU player had touched the ball as it left Langevine's hands - but I don't think they did. Anyone see this one?

Either way, Tyrese Martin is playing some very good basketball, especially rebounding the ball. Not so long ago I read posters wanting him out of the starting line up - how strong he is playing throughout this win streak

Yes, Chris was referring to the Lorenzo Charles play when he had a putback off of an airball. Of course, that put back by Lorenzo won NC St. a national championship. Will never forget the image of Jimmy V. running onto the court after that play at the buzzer.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

Yup since ~1992 lol. As i said took a breath i am ok. But it was still putrid stretch. I get it it happens. I just dont like the offense we go to with good size leads. It leads to unforced errors and bad shots late in the shot clock. We are better then that
I felt that Cox and the Staff did a tremendous job to prepare for VCU. On top of that, a very successful groups of recruits were managed plus nice to see several former players on hand. That said, I'd only say that Jeff Dowtin was so incredibly red hot and on his game I did not care for Cox sitting Jeff towards the end of the 1st half because he had 2 fouls. Then Jeff sat again in the 2nd half when he picked up his 3rd foul. Jeff finished with 3 fouls but ended up playing only 30 minutes. Thought we needed to see more of Jeff in the 2nd half, especially when VCU was rapidly shrinking the lead. I'd have played the risk of Jeff fouling out because he was as hot as I've even seen him.
On the bright side, Jeff played only 30 minutes and we won...save those legs.
Just did a quick re-watch. Cox had a sub at the table after Dowtin got his second foul. A VCU player missed a free throw keeping Dowtin in the game. He then hit 2 threes in a row leading to the VCU timeout and Dowtin got subbed out. Funny how that worked out.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Good win. AGAIN, uri is probably the most talented team we have had AND they have beat VCU damn near every game for years.

Awesome crowd.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Did anyone have their phone out when Gina got booed?
I didn't hear the announcement but heard the boo.
Just curious, but why so much booing for Gina?
Does that really help URI to do that? Wouldn't we want to positively acknowledge her presence? Several were upset that she attended the Brown-URI Game but then she comes to URI and gets roundly booed?

To be honest, I felt embarrassed for URI from the booing. Then again I don't like booing the current President, or ANY President at events like the Super Bowl, College Football Championship, World Series, etc. I'm just appreciative that any one of them takes in a Sporting Event.

Thoughts?
.......sure, do not think she has been a great gov, glad that our Coach is the highest paid state employee, not her as he had a better year......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Have you ever followed the A10? VCU is top competition.

Yup since ~1992 lol. As i said took a breath i am ok. But it was still putrid stretch. I get it it happens. I just dont like the offense we go to with good size leads. It leads to unforced errors and bad shots late in the shot clock. We are better then that
I felt that Cox and the Staff did a tremendous job to prepare for VCU. On top of that, a very successful groups of recruits were managed plus nice to see several former players on hand. That said, I'd only say that Jeff Dowtin was so incredibly red hot and on his game I did not care for Cox sitting Jeff towards the end of the 1st half because he had 2 fouls. Then Jeff sat again in the 2nd half when he picked up his 3rd foul. Jeff finished with 3 fouls but ended up playing only 30 minutes. Thought we needed to see more of Jeff in the 2nd half, especially when VCU was rapidly shrinking the lead. I'd have played the risk of Jeff fouling out because he was as hot as I've even seen him.
And that’s why you aren’t coaching the team. 😜 He didn’t need to risk Jeff getting his 3rd in the first half with a 20 point lead.
Jeff came out with 5:00 left in the half and the score was 39-19. Rhody score 10 more points and extended the lead to 22.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
RamFaninSF wrote: 4 years ago I was leaving the Waste Management Open as the game started and was only able to catch as much as I could via my phone, but from what I could tell, we jumped them from the start and could not be caught. Beating a VCU team that shot 56% from the field is as impressive a conference win as I can think of for a long time.
Waste Management Open? That sounds like the Dunkin Donuts Center.
It's probably one of the most fun sporting events in the country. It's playfully nicknamed the Wasted Management Open. It's a golf tournament in Phoenix where all the spectators just get trashed and have a good time with the golfers. There's actually one hole where the fans are allowed to heckle the golfers while they take their shots.
I know what it is. What I am pointing out is that the Dunkin Donuts Center is a complete dump. Dump = waste = garbage removal = waste management
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Where is everybody?! This team is en fuego!!!
At the f-ing game clapping with no cell service. Where ya been?
What can I say - I lead a charmed life. I keep getting Wifi @ the Ryan. :D
Tell me your secrets!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......this morning Team Rankings has us at 87% chance to Dance, they rank us # 58 in country, and giving us a 90% chance to beat their # 187 UMess......also they rank us # 3 in A-10!!......don’t know what metric they are using for that......gonna look up to see who they put ahead of us, stand by.....it seems they just take their overall Rankings and apply those to the conference where they still nationally rank VCU higher than us......they are losing credibility with me.....out
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I haven’t read the thread much. At the game and then 2 hour ride home. Not sure if this was mentioned - the four starters other than Fatts shot 20-32 FG with all four of them shooting over 50%. That is awesome.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's probably one of the most fun sporting events in the country. It's playfully nicknamed the Wasted Management Open. It's a golf tournament in Phoenix where all the spectators just get trashed and have a good time with the golfers. There's actually one hole where the fans are allowed to heckle the golfers while they take their shots.
I know what it is. What I am pointing out is that the Dunkin Donuts Center is a complete dump. Dump = waste = garbage removal = waste management
Plus...the center of a Dunkn donut is...'open'

Which is why I don't understand why the Dunk isn't referred to as The Hole. I mean, that's what a Dunkn donut center is...right?
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

On the bright side, Jeff played only 30 minutes and we won...save those legs.
Just did a quick re-watch. Cox had a sub at the table after Dowtin got his second foul. A VCU player missed a free throw keeping Dowtin in the game. He then hit 2 threes in a row leading to the VCU timeout and Dowtin got subbed out. Funny how that worked out.
Dowtin re entered the game with 38 seconds left in the first half- presumably for offense.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Did anyone have their phone out when Gina got booed?
I didn't hear the announcement but heard the boo.
Just curious, but why so much booing for Gina?
Does that really help URI to do that? Wouldn't we want to positively acknowledge her presence? Several were upset that she attended the Brown-URI Game but then she comes to URI and gets roundly booed?

To be honest, I felt embarrassed for URI from the booing. Then again I don't like booing the current President, or ANY President at events like the Super Bowl, College Football Championship, World Series, etc. I'm just appreciative that any one of them takes in a Sporting Event.

Thoughts?
I did not, nor would I boo her or any other governor. However, I sat across from her at the Brown game and saw her clapping for Brown several times. Perhaps others saw that as well, as most of those in attendance were RHODY fans.
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 4 years ago
Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote: 4 years ago Gotta hear from EZBuckets on this one.

I was sitting in 304 and during the 2nd half I saw you chirping towards the VCU fans and even gave them the Italian chin flick gesture at one point.

What was going on down in the 200's???
think we witnessed some of these exchanges might be overstepping here but I saw some good natured ribbing when some VCU fans were being loud with Fatts at the line. The entire student section had a few "check the scoreboard moments as well". Wish I had given some thought to buying tickets in 103, obviously most of the VCU fans were in our area.
Spot on. There was a group of 3 VCU guys in 203 who kept yelling during our foul shots and we were just messing back and forth with them. It was all in good fun - and was making me laugh since we were shooting something like 85% from the line.

Thanks to everyone who was in the house last night. I tweeted that it’s nights like last night that made me want to come back and keep doing what I do. There’s no better feeling in the world when we’ve got that atmosphere. Hopefully the recruits in the house felt it too.
13 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Ohhhhh, I get it now...I'm slow, sorry!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Awesome Game! Not sure I’ve ever seen us get up 30 on a Big DANCE team. If Dowtin keeps playing like he is we’re a top 25 team.

GO RHODY!
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Ohhhhh, I get it now...I'm slow, sorry!

Haha! NO worries. I will always refer to anything garbage/toilet related to Providence.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Still riding a high. Watched A 10 tourney game last year vs VCU and last night's game back to back this morning, very enjoyable. Been very fortunate to see some great back courts going back to Jiggy and John Nelson, and of course Silk and Tommy and Tyson and Cat. Fatts and Jeff are going down right there with those guys. Go Rhody!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago
RhodysRelevant wrote: 4 years ago
Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote: 4 years ago Gotta hear from EZBuckets on this one.

I was sitting in 304 and during the 2nd half I saw you chirping towards the VCU fans and even gave them the Italian chin flick gesture at one point.

What was going on down in the 200's???
think we witnessed some of these exchanges might be overstepping here but I saw some good natured ribbing when some VCU fans were being loud with Fatts at the line. The entire student section had a few "check the scoreboard moments as well". Wish I had given some thought to buying tickets in 103, obviously most of the VCU fans were in our area.
Spot on. There was a group of 3 VCU guys in 203 who kept yelling during our foul shots and we were just messing back and forth with them. It was all in good fun - and was making me laugh since we were shooting something like 85% from the line.

Thanks to everyone who was in the house last night. I tweeted that it’s nights like last night that made me want to come back and keep doing what I do. There’s no better feeling in the world when we’ve got that atmosphere. Hopefully the recruits in the house felt it too.
.......and there is nothing better than the EZ Buckets announcing the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem......classic
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This group of players enjoy their relationship with the Ruckus more than any RI team I have seen. They want to go over to thank and engage with the students.

3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Reagarding standing room tickets...I thought we couldn't do that anymore due to fire codes. Did that change?
The official capacity of the Ryan Center is 7,657. There have however been crowds several hundred larger than this over the years. The PC game just last month somehow had 8,052. This had to include people that did not have specific seat locations, be it in luxury suites or standing room.

I have opined before that I understood the elimination of standing room due to increased code regulations immediately after the Station Fire. The concern then per my understanding regarded the ability for people to quickly exit the building. At that time, there were no Meade Stadium stands and the arena had no eastern concourse direct exits. The later construction of stands with immediate outside egress from the east concourse level however changed the dynamics of the building. I have always thought standing room could reasonably be permissible given so many more exits were added.

Another over official capacity crowd of 7,896 last night versus VCU.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Reagarding standing room tickets...I thought we couldn't do that anymore due to fire codes. Did that change?
The official capacity of the Ryan Center is 7,657. There have however been crowds several hundred larger than this over the years. The PC game just last month somehow had 8,052. This had to include people that did not have specific seat locations, be it in luxury suites or standing room.

I have opined before that I understood the elimination of standing room due to increased code regulations immediately after the Station Fire. The concern then per my understanding regarded the ability for people to quickly exit the building. At that time, there were no Meade Stadium stands and the arena had no eastern concourse direct exits. The later construction of stands with immediate outside egress from the east concourse level however changed the dynamics of the building. I have always thought standing room could reasonably be permissible given so many more exits were added.

Another over official capacity crowd of 7,896 last night versus VCU.
That standing area beneath the scoreboard is an excellent vantage point to the court.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

At the f-ing game clapping with no cell service. Where ya been?
Tell me your secrets!
Find out where Pete sits and get tickets near him. WiFi is location dependent when it’s getting overloaded. I sit in the first row of 305 and it’s usually pretty good. If not I shut of WiFi and use my cell service.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago

Tell me your secrets!
Find out where Pete sits and get tickets near him. WiFi is location dependent when it’s getting overloaded. I sit in the first row of 305 and it’s usually pretty good. If not I shut of WiFi and use my cell service.
That’s the thing my cell service doesn’t even work. 🙁 Nothing sends or posts.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

I did not, nor would I boo her or any other governor. However, I sat across from her at the Brown game and saw her clapping for Brown several times. Perhaps others saw that as well, as most of those in attendance were RHODY fans.
She's a Brown alum...
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The official capacity of 7,657 is based on the number of fixed seats in the arena and the reason for attendance going beyond that is due to the later addition of folding chairs such as the pricey seats put along three sides of the court. Those type seats have also been added on the suite level in the corners outside the suites. To date ten sellouts have gone beyond the official capacity and only the Pitt game in '02 included standees which was allowed then.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

P. S. Gina did not go to Brown. She has a BA from Harvard, attended Oxford and has her JD from Yale. Yes, it was bad form to boo her at the game. And there is no justification for doing such and as a URI alum I am ashamed of that yahoo behavior,
4 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

God you're right. Her husband taught at Brown as an adjunct.

I'm a dope, ignore me.
1 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago P. S. Gina did not go to Brown. She has a BA from Harvard, attended Oxford and has her JD from Yale. Yes, it was bad form to boo her at the game. And there is no justification for doing such and as a URI alum I am ashamed of that yahoo behavior,
The mayor of Providence was booed as well. Maybe if Gina actually funded the state flagship University at say 35% so in-state tuition was affordable maybe the boos would be less. Until then, boo away.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago P. S. Gina did not go to Brown. She has a BA from Harvard, attended Oxford and has her JD from Yale. Yes, it was bad form to boo her at the game. And there is no justification for doing such and as a URI alum I am ashamed of that yahoo behavior,
The mayor of Providence was booed as well. Maybe if Gina actually funded the state flagship University at say 35% so in-state tuition was affordable maybe the boos would be less. Until then, boo away.
I get that the governor is a de facto avatar of the state government, but she is not responsible for the situation with respect to the state’s failure to appropriately fund the university. The situation far predates her and she also does not have the ability as governor to just write URI a check.

I don’t live in RI anymore and I’m not up on the day-to-day goings on, so I have no idea what the issues are with Raimondo. My perception from the outside is that the state seems to be doing relatively well compared to the last time I was a resident a decade or so ago. Just knowing her resume and seeing Obadiah’s summary of her academic credentials, it does seem like we are in the midst of a general, worldwide backlash against elites (which is not totally undeserving), and I’m sure that explains some of it. Still not really a good look for URI to boo the governor - from a distance it appears whatever failings she’s had are technocratic in nature, and as far as I know Raimondo has not engaged in the kind of rampant corruption or moral bankruptcy that explains why the President is booed whenever he goes out in public.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

This is exactly who she is right here in this Forbes article. May God have mercy on her soul. She lacks a moral compass.

Maybe she was trying to get some credibility by showing up to an event with us peasants last night.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardsied ... -as-usual/
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Back to basketball?
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
I get that the governor is a de facto avatar of the state government, but she is not responsible for the situation with respect to the state’s failure to appropriately fund the university. The situation far predates her and she also does not have the ability as governor to just write URI a check.

I don’t live in RI anymore and I’m not up on the day-to-day goings on, so I have no idea what the issues are with Raimondo. My perception from the outside is that the state seems to be doing relatively well compared to the last time I was a resident a decade or so ago. Just knowing her resume and seeing Obadiah’s summary of her academic credentials, it does seem like we are in the midst of a general, worldwide backlash against elites (which is not totally undeserving), and I’m sure that explains some of it. Still not really a good look for URI to boo the governor - from a distance it appears whatever failings she’s had are technocratic in nature, and as far as I know Raimondo has not engaged in the kind of rampant corruption or moral bankruptcy that explains why the President is booed whenever he goes out in public.
The fact that the dems have controlled this state forever and now fund the state flagship University at less then 10% forcing students to take loans to pay for IN STATE TUITION is the problem. She's just the latest to get the wrath. South County is pretty conservative.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago This is exactly who she is right here in this Forbes article. May God have mercy on her soul. She lacks a moral compass.

Maybe she was trying to get some credibility by showing up to an event with us peasants last night.

OK, I don’t want to derail this thread with politics talk. Maybe she’s horrible, as I said I don’t know because I’m not in RI and I’m not tuned into what’s happening there. But I do know that she doesn’t personally set URI’s budget or the state’s level of support so if that’s why we were booing then it doesn’t make sense.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago This is exactly who she is right here in this Forbes article. May God have mercy on her soul. She lacks a moral compass.

OK, I don’t want to derail this thread with politics talk. Maybe she’s horrible, as I said I don’t know because I’m not in RI and I’m not tuned into what’s happening there. But I do know that she doesn’t personally set URI’s budget or the state’s level of support so if that’s why we were booing then it doesn’t make sense.
She signs it.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I think Dowtin has put it best when he said "we have work to do ". We are half way through the conference with some big games coming up. Let's not forget our past - the February swoons, the UMass blasts from the past, etc. Our record does include at intervals the blowing of big leads. It hasn't cost a game, let's keep it that way.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

The article refers to her own self-serving nature. RI has been failing long before her time. My booing (I didn’t boo because I was in the loo) wouldn’t have had any affiliation to the school, but as a middle class taxpayer.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Is someone gonna upload this game to youtube like they did with the PC one? :D
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I think Dowtin has put it best when he said "we have work to do ". We are half way through the conference with some big games coming up. Let's not forget our past - the February swoons, the UMass blasts from the past, etc. Our record does include at intervals the blowing of big leads. It hasn't cost a game, let's keep it that way.
Baron is no longer the coach here. Most of what you say does not apply.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I think Dowtin has put it best when he said "we have work to do ". We are half way through the conference with some big games coming up. Let's not forget our past - the February swoons, the UMass blasts from the past, etc. Our record does include at intervals the blowing of big leads. It hasn't cost a game, let's keep it that way.
Baron is no longer the coach here. Most of what you say does not apply.
Da process!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Is someone gonna upload this game to youtube like they did with the PC one? :D
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Gotta love YouTube:

0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Is someone gonna upload this game to youtube like they did with the PC one? :D
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Gotta love YouTube:

I appreciate it :)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Gina is a criminal who, as treasurer, stole the futures of thousands of R.I. teachers by moving their pension to her former hedge fund - tripling the investment fees and losing hundreds of millions of dollars.

Ignoring her smugness at under funding our flagship university.

Not only should she be booed, loudly, but she should be in jail.

Back to basketball: WE OWN VCU.

The switch to a 2-3 zone is why VCU got back into the game.

It seemed like Cox wanted to rest the legs a bit and try to wait VCU out with a 29 point lead.

We probably took the air out of the ball to early and the offense went stagnant as a result. Credit to VCU for not doing what 95% of teams would’ve done and packed it in.

More credit to us for taking on more adversity and having the stones to right the ship. Our leaders are battle tested. A lesser group of guys would’ve faltered when the game got to single digits. Our guys kept them away.

As much as Fatts gets the accolades (obviously well deserved) this team will still go where Jeff can take them. Fatts may end up being the greatest scorer in URI history. Jeff might be its best floor general depending on what the next 2 months has in store.

We’re ROLLING. Let’s GOOOOOOO
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are right about Jeff Dowtin. He is playing like a man on a mission right now. He is confident, handling the ball more than earlier in the season, playing incredible suffocating defense. Jeff is like a Coach on the floor, a Quarterback on the floor.

Last 5 games 37,38,40,37 and 30 minutes last night (foul trouble and the huge Rhody lead limited his minutes).
Last 4 games FG: 6-13, 5-12, 8-12, 6-9 for 25-46 for 54% plus 7-13 on 3Ps for 54%

His leadership capability is being demonstrated more and more.

One gets the feeling that Dowtin and Langevine are going to lead this team to great heights - pulling the other 6 players in the rotation with them. And Russell is truly demonstrating great talents. Dowtin and Langevine are displaying incredible defensive talent. Much attention goes towards offensive statistics but for this URI Team to play at it's best the Defense makes the Offense roll.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Gina supporting URI getting its own governing board was huge for the future of URI. The State reduced funding but gave URI greater control over its future. URI should be a research university first and foremost, the way other great State Universities are oriented.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Gina supporting URI getting its own governing board was huge for the future of URI. The State reduced funding but gave URI greater control over its future. URI should be a research university first and foremost, the way other great State Universities are oriented.
How noble that her heiness would let the school that has to fund 92% of its budget itself, have slightly more say in how those dollars are spent.

Would welcome an FBI investigation into the last election - especially considering that Nellie Gorbea blocked the FOIA release of the voter rolls when requested by the ProJo.

Let’s instead not go here, and talk about how dominant URI basketball has looked in the past month.

Another consideration: you have to wonder how much the Tate departure affected the team at the time. It may have directly led to those losses. We seemed to have recovered and become galvanized since.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I dont understand how Santos Silva killed us in the A10 tournament last year and has basically been a non factor the 2 games this year. I honestly think that Jermaine got into his head early and he just couldn't recover, idk how else to explain it.
Also, I still cant stand Marcus Evans but man has he taken a step backwards. I did like to see after Jeff and him ran into each other around midcourt and it was a foul on Jeff that Jeff went over and tapped him as if to say "my bad, didnt mean to foul you there".
Also also, I really wish Bones Hyland would have come to URI or any other team because he is going to be a nightmare for the next 3 years. Thought Jeff should have been guarding him all game.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I dont understand how Santos Silva killed us in the A10 tournament last year and has basically been a non factor the 2 games this year. I honestly think that Jermaine got into his head early and he just couldn't recover, idk how else to explain it.
Also, I still cant stand Marcus Evans but man has he taken a step backwards. I did like to see after Jeff and him ran into each other around midcourt and it was a foul on Jeff that Jeff went over and tapped him as if to say "my bad, didnt mean to foul you there".
Also also, I really wish Bones Hyland would have come to URI or any other team because he is going to be a nightmare for the next 3 years. Thought Jeff should have been guarding him all game.
Dowtin is a class act.
3 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Gina supporting URI getting its own governing board was huge for the future of URI. The State reduced funding but gave URI greater control over its future. URI should be a research university first and foremost, the way other great State Universities are oriented.
How noble that her heiness would let the school that has to fund 92% of its budget itself, have slightly more say in how those dollars are spent.

Would welcome an FBI investigation into the last election - especially considering that Nellie Gorbea blocked the FOIA release of the voter rolls when requested by the ProJo.

Let’s instead not go here, and talk about how dominant URI basketball has looked in the past month.

Another consideration: you have to wonder how much the Tate departure affected the team at the time. It may have directly led to those losses. We seemed to have recovered and become galvanized since.
Blue man I was thinking the same thing with Tate's departure. Weather it helped start this current run or if it would have started since the PC game, what be his role right now, ect.

The two transfers make me wonder where this team would be right now had they stayed? 10 man rotation, hammond getting 5-7mins a night to rest legs a bit. These are my thoughts on non game days. Is it Tues yet!?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jaywin86 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Blue man I was thinking the same thing with Tate's departure. Weather it helped start this current run or if it would have started since the PC game, what be his role right now, ect.

The two transfers make me wonder where this team would be right now had they stayed? 10 man rotation, hammond getting 5-7mins a night to rest legs a bit. These are my thoughts on non game days. Is it Tues yet!?
The Loss to Brown and the Loss to Richmond could have been positives to this team moving forward. Adversity has a way of pulling teams together. Those two games revealed weaknesses that David Cox, his Coaches and his players have worked on.
Tate Stats were:
Freshman: 30.6% on 3P's, 53.3% FT
Sophomore: 13% in 3P's, 50% FT

He did not show shooting proficiency in his two seasons.

Toppin, Walker and Long have proven to be very adequate bench players. I would put those 3 guys ahead of any other A10 Team's Top 3 Players off the bench. All 3 are in their 1st season at URI - all 3 will continue to improve as the season continues on.

An 8 man rotation is fine. 10 man rotation can be a challenge to allocate minutes.

All is good with a wonderful 8 man rotation of 8 solid performers.

Maybe if we had won the Brown and Richmond game we would not be experiencing wins in the last 8 games???

All is good.

One game at a time.
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Immediately after Jeff picked up his second foul, I saw him put a hand out towards DC indicating “leave me in, I got this” and DC nodded his head. That’s him trusting his senior leader. I was glad he took him out soon thereafter, though, as I didn’t want him picking up a third first half foul with a big lead.

Hyland is going to be a handful for the next 3 1/2 years.
2 x