Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by rambone 78 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Some are getting way ahead of themselves here. We aren't even 1/2 way through the conference schedule.
Being named the last 4 in by Lunardi is nice but I would almost rather we were listed on the first 4 out or
not at all. We don't need anyone on the team reading that crap and getting complacent.
There are 5 of the 10 games left that we could easily lose. We absolutely have to take care of business.
I am hoping for a split against Dayton, but we could easily lose both , VCU, Davidson and St. Louis. This teams
offensive dead spots really worry me as do Cyril and Harris's health.
Bingo!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago This is sad. Fans of a team that purport to want that team to be the bell cow of the conference...wants another team in the conference to remain ahead of them in the standings. I get it now...it's a beaten down fan base. My point is, why can't we BE Dayton now? The difference between us and Dayton in the conference could probably be flipped in less than 5 possessions...

But everyone wants to massage Dayton's joints to make them a "super duper quality win", or else "we might not" whatever... fear is a motivator, I guess, but c'mon, go for the gusto. Be best.
NO ONE WANTS DAYTON TO REMAIN AHEAD OF URI IN THE STANDINGS. BUT BEING IN FIRST PLACE IN JANUARY IS POSSIBLY THE DUMBEST GOAL IN THE HISTORY OF GOALS IN THE HISTORY OF ORGANIZED SPORT.

NO ONE IS ROOTING FOR DAYTON TO BE BETTER THAN URI.

We are all rooting for a 17-1 record. We're all rooting to win the conference at 17-1. To make that record matter even more to the NCAA committee, we are hoping that Dayton is 16-2 - maybe even 15-3 if VCU could get a win against them.

I literally can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse, sarcastic, or if you truly believe that the NCAA committee would care about a team who wins a conference with no elite teams.

I can't fathom how we've talked about this same topic for 3 pages.

No one is "settling" or "rooting" for 2nd place. No one is beaten down as a fan base. Thankfully most of our fans watch more basketball than just what happens in the A10 and understand the context of what being an NCAA team means.

No one wants to concede the conference. The goal has always been for the majority of these fans 1) NCAA at-large, 2) NCAA autobid. Period.

Anything outside of that means nothing. Beating a marquee Dayton team helps accomplish goal #1. Beating a "meh" Dayton team does not help accomplish goal #1.

Having a fellow A10 bubble team get a marquee win against Dayton puts us at risk for goal #1.

Being the team to stop a winning streak by a top 5 team helps accomplish goal #1.

Placing 2nd in a top 7 conference helps to accomplish goal #1 more than placing 1st in a top 12 conference.

God I can't wait for tip off.

Edit: I thought about it, ask yourself these questions:

Is the season a success if we win the A10 but don’t make the NCAA tournament?

Is the season a success if we don’t win the A10 but make the NCAA tournament?

Hint: the correct first answer is no. The correct second answer is yes.
Last edited by Blue Man 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only one Friday night game in the A-10 and it is a big one:

VCU at Rhode Island, 7 PM. On ESPN2!!!

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Cornell at Brown, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Manhattan at St. Peter's, 7 PM. On ESPN+.
4 x
SlamRam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SlamRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago Dayton is securely in. I believe they want to take care of their own business. I think they want to win all their games and hope that URI, VCU, RIchmond don't lose to lesser teams in the conference so that their wins against those bubble teams aren't diluted.
Dayton is NOT securely in. Granted, the chances of a Baronesque collapse are de minimus, but there's still an eternity left in the regular season.

I hold this post is a troll.

They are a billion percent in.
Learn your history.....Red is no troll....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saturday games in the A-10:

George Mason at St. Bonaventure, 4 PM.

Fordham at Dayton, 4:30 PM. On NBCSN.

George Washington at Richmond, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

Saint Louis at Saint Joseph's, 6:30 PM. On NBCSN.

UMass at Davidson, 8 PM. On CBSSN.

Ole Miss at #22 LSU, 12 Noon. On ESPN2.

Western Kentucky at Florida International, 12 Noon.

Kansas State at #12 West Virginia, 2 PM. On ESPN2.

Providence at Butler, 2 PM. On FS1.

North Texas at Rice, 3 PM. On ESPN+.

Middle Tennessee at UTSA, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Long Island U. at Merrimack, 4 PM.

Columbia at Brown, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

Arkansas at Alabama, 6 PM. On SECN.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Saturday games in the A-10:

George Washington at Fordham, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

Is Fordham playing split squad? Awesome!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hoops all day, all night, alright!
In addition:

UConn @ Memphis
Kentucky @ Auburn
Duke @ Syracuse*
Utah State @ SDSU

*Probably like a play-in game for the 'cuse. They win this one and they're most likely in, regardless of what happens the rest of the year. Because, well....Syracuse...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Hoops all day, all night, alright!
In addition:

UConn @ Memphis
Kentucky @ Auburn
Duke @ Syracuse*
Utah State @ SDSU

*Probably like a play-in game for the 'cuse. They win this one and they're most likely in, regardless of what happens the rest of the year. Because, well....Syracuse...
Sixers at Celtics tonight too on ABC at 8:30.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Go SDSU and ....Go Duke
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Huge game for the Aztecs tonight against Utah State. They'll also be retiring Kawhi's jersey in a ceremony. I know they play pretty late for the east coasters, but if you havent had a chance to check out San Diego State at all yet you should definitely try. Really fun team to watch and they are definitely legit. Malachi Flynn who transferred from Washington State has been the difference maker.
Last edited by adam914 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Huge game for the Aztecs tonight against Utah State. They'll also be retiring Kawhi's jersey in a ceremony. I know they play pretty late for the east coasters, but if you havent had a chance to check out San Diego State at all yet you should definitely try. Really fun team to watch and they are definitely legit. Malachi Flynn who transferring from Washington State has been the difference maker.
Had not seen them at all until recently, but made it a point to catch some of the New Mexico game to see what the fuss was all about, and that one was over (20 to 2) in the first 5 minutes. Might DVR tonite's and whip through it while I'm waiting for the wife to get ready for church in the AM ;)
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brown won last night at home versus Cornell. Raised their record to 8-8 but one win was versus non D1 Johnson & Wales. Bears play Columbia tonight. Would be good for Rhody if Brown can stay above .500 to make that loss to them look less bad.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Brown won last night at home versus Cornell. Raised their record to 8-8 but one one was versus non D1 Johnson & Wales. Bears play Columbia tonight. Would be good for Rhody if Brown can stay above .500 to make that loss to them look less bad.
I hope you're right, but I kinda think Brown is Brown and that needle ain't moving unless they run the table and win their league bid...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Merrimack

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody Opponent LIU is at Merrimack tonight in an NEC game. This is Merrimack's first year in D1 and they are not eligible for the league tournament championship or any NCAA or NIT tournaments for several years during their transitional period.

Despite this being the first year in D1, Merrimack is currently leading the NEC at 8-1. Just as amazing as that is, the team recorded its first ever D1 win in just its second game and it was versus Big Ten opponent Northwestern on its home court. They are presently 14-8 overall. Quite a seamless jump to D1!
Screenshot_2020-02-01 https northeastconference org.png
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I saw that Merrimack was not eligible...why not? What's the point/purpose of that?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Huge game for the Aztecs tonight against Utah State. They'll also be retiring Kawhi's jersey in a ceremony. I know they play pretty late for the east coasters, but if you havent had a chance to check out San Diego State at all yet you should definitely try. Really fun team to watch and they are definitely legit. Malachi Flynn who transferred from Washington State has been the difference maker.
They are really good I saw them destroy Creighton and Iowa in Vegas and knew they were for real
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Merrimack

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Rhody Opponent LIU is at Merrimack tonight in an NEC game. This is Merrimack's first year in D1 and they are not eligible for the league tournament championship or any NCAA or NIT tournaments for several years during their transitional period.

Despite this being the first year in D1, Merrimack is currently leading the NEC at 8-1. Just as amazing as that is, the team recorded its first ever D1 win in just its second game and it was versus Big Ten opponent Northwestern on its home court. They are presently 14-8 overall. Quite a seamless jump to D1!

Screenshot_2020-02-01 https northeastconference org.png
That is really impressive. Were they DII or DIII? Bryant make a pretty good transition to DI as well.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I saw that Merrimack was not eligible...why not? What's the point/purpose of that?
Former D2 Merrimack is not eligible during their four year transition period. I believe this was the case when Bryant joined the NEC as well. Merrimack has some D1 experience as it has competed for several years at that level as a member of Hockey East. Hockey is one of the few NCAA sports that allows teams to compete at the D1 level while other sports compete in other divisions. Several schools such as RPI and Union are D3 in all sports but play D1 hockey.

Merrimack, located in Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts, will become a full member of the conference in 2023-24 upon completion of its four-year NCAA Division I reclassification period.

Merrimack will be incorporated as fully as possible into NEC athletic schedules beginning with the 2019-20 season. During its reclassification Merrimack will be able to participate in NEC championships in NCAA non-automatic qualifier sports (cross country, swimming and diving, and indoor and outdoor track and field) only.

Link:
https://www.eagletribune.com/news/merri ... a93ee.html
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I saw that Merrimack was not eligible...why not? What's the point/purpose of that?
Former D2 Merrimack is not eligible during their four year transition period. I believe this was the case when Bryant joined the NEC as well. Merrimack has some D1 experience as it has competed for several years at that level as a member of Hockey East. Hockey is one of the few NCAA sports that allows teams to compete at the D1 level while other sports compete in other divisions. Several schools such as RPI and Union are D3 in all sports but play D1 hockey.

Merrimack, located in Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts, will become a full member of the conference in 2023-24 upon completion of its four-year NCAA Division I reclassification period.

Merrimack will be incorporated as fully as possible into NEC athletic schedules beginning with the 2019-20 season. During its reclassification Merrimack will be able to participate in NEC championships in NCAA non-automatic qualifier sports (cross country, swimming and diving, and indoor and outdoor track and field) only.

Link:
I understand that there's a transition period that doesn't allow them to compete for championships/tourneys, but 'why'? Is it just so that the other schools in conference don't have to worry about them right away? In other words, do existing teams in conference do this "because they can", or is there actually another reason'?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Link:
I understand that there's a transition period that doesn't allow them to compete for championships/tourneys, but 'why'? Is it just so that the other schools in conference don't have to worry about them right away? In other words, do existing teams in conference do this "because they can", or is there actually another reason'?
I would guess it has something to do with scholarships.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Was Memphis a bubble team?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Link:

It's just an arbitrary bullshit NCAA rule like the rest of them.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Was Memphis a bubble team?
Yes. Two spots ahead of us on Bracket Matrix
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramsman75 wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Saturday games in the A-10:

George Washington at Fordham, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

Is Fordham playing split squad? Awesome!
Oops, should have read GW at Richmond
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In tonight's bubble game, the college basketball world will be focused on

Second to last bye VCU at LAST BYE RHODE ISLAND at 7 on ESPN2
URI with the big 87-75 win makes bubble teams 30-36 for the year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Was Memphis a bubble team?
Memphis is currently in most all brackets but many have it as one of the last at larges. Its overall record is 15-5 with just a 4-3 AAC mark and its NET is #50. It is therefore very much a bubble team with a month to go.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In today's bubble action

Fourth to last bye Memphis is hosting UConn now on CBS
Third to last bye Florida is at Vanderbilt at 8:30 on SECN
Third to last in NC State vs #6 Louisville at 2 on ESPN
Second to last in Alabama vs Arkansas at 6 on SECN
Last in Mississippi State vs Tennessee at 2 on ESPNU
First out Stanford vs #11 Oregon at 6 on PACN
Second out Arizona State at Washington at 10:30 on PACN
Fourth out DePaul at Marquette at 2
Sixth out Virginia Tech vs #5 Florida State at 4
Seventh out Richmond vs George Washington at 6
Eighth out Xavier won at #10 Seton Hall 74-62
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Big win for X
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

LSU protects its ranking by easily disposing of Ole Miss, 73-63, but Western Kentucky is fading in losing to Fla Int'l.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I hate to compliment PC but I actually have two: will be a big W at Butler, and also I really like the old school jerseys they wore today. Roughly 1000x better than the generic modern trash they wore against us.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Butler to me is overrated every single year.
4 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

All three ranked BE teams lost today!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Prov helping us out big time today!

That will put them comfortably in Q2 range.

Agree on the throwback jerseys they wore. Nice.

Big East is super tough this year. I mean nobody is bad.

Big Ten is ridiculous too.

Ohio State is in 12th place. Like what??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Our friends in North Texas have come back to tie their game with Rice with about 7 minutes left.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

West Virginia extracts revenge for a previous loss by beating back Kansas State, 66-57.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Our friends in North Texas have come back to tie their game with Rice with about 7 minutes left.
They lost the game in the last 4 min, brutal loss
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

North Texas just laid a nasty egg out of their mean green cloaca today, at 1-8 Rice.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Fordham is wretched offensively. Flyers up 19-6.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Wisconsin wins, NC state loses. Michigan up on Rutgers.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A depleted Memphis beat UCONN by 7.
Dan now starting his 3 heralded Fr. They shot a combined 6-28 FG in 93 minutes of action.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I hate to compliment PC but I actually have two: will be a big W at Butler, and also I really like the old school jerseys they wore today. Roughly 1000x better than the generic modern trash they wore against us.
Watching that game I wanted us to bring back the 99 midnights and the 89 blue and yellows.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Would love for Rhody to bring back some old school jerseys for a few games.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anyone remembers the white sleeved jerseys with pink trim few years back for the Davidson game?

Probably the most random one and done jersey ever.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes no BE team is bad.

But are any of them really good? Villanova was the standout for years, but they've come back to the pack a bit.

PC is playing better, but again how much of that is them, or are their opponents not really all that good?

The league's metrics imo are somewhat overinflated.....it's proven it lately when most of them lose in the early rounds in the dance.

I'll bet it happens again this year.

I also think we can play with any of them, at least this season.
3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Yes no BE team is bad.

But are any of them really good? Villanova was the standout for years, but they've come back to the pack a bit.

PC is playing better, but again how much of that is them, or are their opponents not really all that good?

The league's metrics imo are somewhat overinflated.....it's proven it lately when most of them lose in the early rounds in the dance.

Bingo.. the big East is overrated!! They are a better league top to bottom than a10 but they don't look like their upper half teams are superior by any means
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our top 5-6 can play with them this season.

Yeah the A10 weak sisters are crap, but they always are.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SJU leads LSU by a point midway through the 2nd half.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

SLU up 5 with 6 to play
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Up 7. SLU finally taking control
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Yes no BE team is bad.

Bingo.. the big East is overrated!! They are a better league top to bottom than a10 but they don't look like their upper half teams are superior by any means

Constantly have this debate with my PC buddies. BE teams are notorious choke artists in the dance. They get to many teams in and are seeded to high because of the "great" BE
0 x