1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Re: 1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote: 4 years ago Gotta hear from EZBuckets on this one.

I was sitting in 304 and during the 2nd half I saw you chirping towards the VCU fans and even gave them the Italian chin flick gesture at one point.

What was going on down in the 200's???
think we witnessed some of these exchanges might be overstepping here but I saw some good natured ribbing when some VCU fans were being loud with Fatts at the line. The entire student section had a few "check the scoreboard moments as well". Wish I had given some thought to buying tickets in 103, obviously most of the VCU fans were in our area.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would assume a bunch of Santos Silva’s family and friends were there, short trip from Taunton.
Go Rhody
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

Now that was a first half.
Boo.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Also, randomly met Jacob and Obi toppins grandfather in line to get in tonight. Nice guy. Sounded excited about his grandson's matchup and was pumped about Obis dunk the other night.
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 4 years ago Please help me my wife is wearing a Kobe Bryant mamba shirt in VCU colors and will not remove it.
I give this a HUGE pass. Love to Kobe.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Where is everybody?! This team is en fuego!!!
At the f-ing game clapping with no cell service. Where ya been?
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RamFaninSF wrote: 4 years ago I was leaving the Waste Management Open as the game started and was only able to catch as much as I could via my phone, but from what I could tell, we jumped them from the start and could not be caught. Beating a VCU team that shot 56% from the field is as impressive a conference win as I can think of for a long time.
Waste Management Open? That sounds like the Dunkin Donuts Center.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Guy sitting next to me started complaining right away about Harris. I told him if he kept it up he was leaving. Harris played great and shit the guy up.

Great Win. Onto the next one
Thank you for that.

I am so irritated by anyone talking poorly of JH, especially at this stage of the season. I want to give these people a basketball and critique their granny shots since that’s probably their playing aptitude beyond their couch.
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

My favorite line of the night goes to vahill posting on the vcu forum site
“ I don’t want to say Rhody is our daddy, then I realize that’s where our last name comes from. Checks out.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

I took a deep breath doing better now. And happy, but that second half was not good offense was stagnant lapses on passes and got lackadaisical.
A lackadaisical 38 pt 2nd half?! Cmon man.
Just 3 pts in over 7 minutes. It was a very lackadaisical stretch. Like i said i love this team and coach. But we CANNOT have those stretches against top competition and in the tournament.
Have you ever followed the A10? VCU is top competition.
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

I struggle to understand why some people complain about this performance...WE ARE WHERE WE NEED TO BE!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I had a fsther/daughter dance and muted my phone so I didn’t get any updates. Planned on watching game on tape when I got home, but my wife had other plans and we were out with friends and their kids until now. Checked my phone and couldn’t believe uri was up 49-27. Come second half I would have thought we lost with how many of my friends sent angry texts on URI. I get it in that they must have played a terrible second half, but if coming into the game you could have told us URI would win by double digits, how many of you would have signed up for that? I plan yo watch the game tomorrow so maybe I will see why so many people are mad at the second half. Enjoy the win everyone!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

A lackadaisical 38 pt 2nd half?! Cmon man.
Just 3 pts in over 7 minutes. It was a very lackadaisical stretch. Like i said i love this team and coach. But we CANNOT have those stretches against top competition and in the tournament.

Yup since ~1992 lol. As i said took a breath i am ok. But it was still putrid stretch. I get it it happens. I just dont like the offense we go to with good size leads. It leads to unforced errors and bad shots late in the shot clock. We are better then that
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Did anyone have their phone out when Gina got booed?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yup since ~1992 lol. As i said took a breath i am ok. But it was still putrid stretch. I get it it happens. I just dont like the offense we go to with good size leads. It leads to unforced errors and bad shots late in the shot clock. We are better then that
I felt that Cox and the Staff did a tremendous job to prepare for VCU. On top of that, a very successful groups of recruits were managed plus nice to see several former players on hand. That said, I'd only say that Jeff Dowtin was so incredibly red hot and on his game I did not care for Cox sitting Jeff towards the end of the 1st half because he had 2 fouls. Then Jeff sat again in the 2nd half when he picked up his 3rd foul. Jeff finished with 3 fouls but ended up playing only 30 minutes. Thought we needed to see more of Jeff in the 2nd half, especially when VCU was rapidly shrinking the lead. I'd have played the risk of Jeff fouling out because he was as hot as I've even seen him.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

What putrid stretch are you even referring to? You realize you’re sounding ridiculously negative about one of the best home wins in recent memory. I’m glad I don’t subscribe to your negativity after a night like this. Oof there are so many things wrong with your post.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's a game of streaks as others have said. Let's not get too bogged down about VCU closing the gap some. In 80 minutes of basketball played Rams v Rams this season, the Rhody Rams had a lead for over 64 minutes and most importantly had the lead at the final buzzer twice, I'm ok with that.

Also let's drink in the fact that we are 8-1, that has to be one of our best starts in conference play, We're two full games ahead of the competition in 2nd place. If we just win the ones we're supposed to win ( I know one game at a time) we're going dancing!!! Time to get excited, start talking them up to your casual fan friends, We're for real and it's not even close, the best team in New England.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

5 minutes 30 seconds to play in the game, Russell put up a 3-point shot that missed madly with an airball. Martin alertly grabbed the errant shot and put it up and in, getting fouled to boot.
I looked in the box score when I got home to see how that play was scored. I was surprised to see that Russell got the assist while Martin got the basket. I would have thought Russells shot was a badly missed 3-point shot with Martin getting the rebound and put-back for 2 points. But it was scored an assist by Russell, basket by Martin.
Was it really a pass by Russell?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago 5 minutes 30 seconds to play in the game, Russell put up a 3-point shot that missed madly with an airball. Martin alertly grabbed the errant shot and put it up and in, getting fouled to boot.
I looked in the box score when I got home to see how that play was scored. I was surprised to see that Russell got the assist while Martin got the basket. I would have thought Russells shot was a badly missed 3-point shot with Martin getting the rebound and put-back for 2 points. But it was scored an assist by Russell, basket by Martin.
It definitely was not a pass. I'm guessing maybe because it never touched rim or anything before Tyrese grabbed it and put it back then it doesn't count as a shot? Not sure what the rule is there. Huge play.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Idk man, your posts are so haphazard. What putrid stretch are you even referring to? You realize you’re sounding negative about a signature win televised on ESPN. Team is getting top 25 votes. Maybe following this team isn’t for you if it upsets you that much after a win like this.
The 7 minute stretch where we were outscored 21-3. Is the stretch i am refering to. We are better then that. Dont care if we playing the best team in the country cant have that. We own VCU, regardless still a huge win at home. But the signature win was the 10 point dub AT vcu. We won a game where the opponent shot anove 55% there are lots of positives about this game on metrics alone. But again. You can not have lapses that amount to 3 points over 7 minutes and are outscored by almost 20 over that stretch. And i say this because we are better!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

As for "following this team isnt for me" go pound sand. Been to most NCAA appearances since Ty and Cat. Will never get over the stanford loss. Beating kansas that year was insane. Sorry was to young for the garrick years so wasnt at those games.

Sorry i upset you pointing out a putrid 7 minute stretch in the 2nd half.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think if Cox had put Jeff back in earlier [and called a TO to do so] then that VCU run would have been shortened, and we would have won by 20 or so.

But other than that what do we have to complain about?

It all worked out and Jeff got some needed rest.

Playing intense defense for 40 minutes will wear them all out.

Time to move on to the next must win game lol.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Ah, memories. You never forget your first.

I remember Tom Penders, Tommy Garrick, Silk Owens, Kenny Green, in the post season run, but that wasn't my first URI team. Not really, just on tv.

Your first URI team is when you are actually there in the stands, screaming your lungs out. Doing the stomp in the old Keaney Gym, like a freight train threatening to overtake the opposing team.

For me, that was Al Skinner, Abdul Fox, Andre Samuel, Carlos Cofield, Kyle Ivy-Jones, Michael Andersen, Ibn Bakari. Those were some buzz inspired halcyon days. Followed by the Al Skinner/Jim Harrick, Tyson Wheeler, Cat Mobley, Preston Murphy, Antonio Reynolds-Dean, Josh King, Luther Clay, David Arigbabu days.

That's where I got my Rhody street cred. I saw the Stanford game at home. With one minute left, I didn't want to look. I wanted to turn off the tv and watch the replay later. But like in the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark, I couldn't turn away from the horror than ensued. A bad ARD pass out of bounds. A non call foul on Mobley's arm by "King" Arthur and steal. Tyson tanking on all three free throws. Mark Madsen acting like a gorilla to the delight of the tv hosts.

That's where my "finish the job" mentality comes from. That and a hundred other heart breakers by various URI teams over the years.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

The game is over

We won by 12 in a huge game

Great job by the team and to you guys who went to the game and gave us the 6th man !

Great job all around in getting this huge win !

Fired up RHODY fan

DAY SEIZED !
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RamFaninSF wrote: 4 years ago I was leaving the Waste Management Open as the game started and was only able to catch as much as I could via my phone, but from what I could tell, we jumped them from the start and could not be caught. Beating a VCU team that shot 56% from the field is as impressive a conference win as I can think of for a long time.
It's probably one of the most fun sporting events in the country. It's playfully nicknamed the Wasted Management Open. It's a golf tournament in Phoenix where all the spectators just get trashed and have a good time with the golfers. There's actually one hole where the fans are allowed to heckle the golfers while they take their shots.

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......heard in my section last nite.....’ if we end up on the bubble, the NCAA will take us into the tourney cause they will want the eyeballs to the screen that Fatts will bring......’
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......one more thing; already been out this AM; more bounce in my step, she looks better today, coffee tastes better, gonna attack the tread mill today, general up feeling.......not drug nor drink induced.....(yet).......big win last nite.....Go Rhody......happy place today......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster I called it a putback in an earlier post ( the Fatts/Martin play) and Koch called it a putback. Sure looked like a shot and putback to me. Awesome play by Martin. It was a key play as it turned out.

And I agree on removing Dowtin while he was smoking hot. Didn't like it but understand the concept with the fouls.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

The langevine 3 deserved the “no’s and groans” that Harris’ got a few weeks back. Cyril actually dribbled back to get behind the line.
Nice to see Jeff shooting arrows after 3’s again.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago 5 minutes 30 seconds to play in the game, Russell put up a 3-point shot that missed madly with an airball. Martin alertly grabbed the errant shot and put it up and in, getting fouled to boot.
From where we were sitting, with the play right in front of us, it looked like one of those things we call "a huge play at the time".
(Also, looked like a badly missed shot, missed so badly that I thought it either had to have been tipped or he was fouled...will have to check the replay later)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
It's probably one of the most fun sporting events in the country. It's playfully nicknamed the Wasted Management Open. It's a golf tournament in Phoenix where all the spectators just get trashed and have a good time with the golfers. There's actually one hole where the fans are allowed to heckle the golfers while they take their shots.

I've watched this one on TV a few times and have friends that have gone. All reports are (and it looks like) a Great time.
That par 3 where the fans boo players that don't hit the green is a lot of fun to watch.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago - Best tweet of the night... ‘Refs we’re close to ejecting Langevine after his 3 point shot.’ Ha. Cracked me up. Where do they come up with these things?
- Funny watching these kids at the table getting interviewed after the game. What are they reading??? Whats on the paper????
- Let’s root for VCU the rest of the way. Need to pump up the A10!!
A few of my buddies (Villanova and Seton Hall fans) came over to watch the game. When we were up by 27, one said “this is a blow out, want to watch something else?” I was like BRO. RHODY DOESN’T BLOW ANYONE OUT. WE MAKE EVERY GAME INTERESTING. Enough said. I’m going to bed. Exhausted.
Can you share the tweet?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago The langevine 3 deserved the “no’s and groans” that Harris’ got a few weeks back. Cyril actually dribbled back to get behind the line.
Nice to see Jeff shooting arrows after 3’s again.
Disagree...we were up 20, seriously rolling (we were truly having our way with them - like we have in few other games this year) and it's not like he's going to be firing them up in a close game. And just think of what the crowd response would have been if he had hit it. It might have been one of the loudest moments of the night... gets a pass that one time from me anyway.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster I called it a putback in an earlier post ( the Fatts/Martin play) and Koch called it a putback. Sure looked like a shot and putback to me. Awesome play by Martin. It was a key play as it turned out.

And I agree on removing Dowtin while he was smoking hot. Didn't like it but understand the concept with the fouls.

So at the 5:30 remaining mark, URI huge lead was down to 69-60 and fans were getting restless. Russell shot the airball 3-pointer, Martin very alertly grabbed the errant shot, put it in and got fouled, making the old-fashioned 3-point play to put URI up a more comfortable 72-60. It sounds like DiSano is also referring to this play.

If it was an errant 3-point shot, then it was a heck of an alert play by Martin to go up and grab it, not waiting for a rebound that would never happen because it was not going to hit the rim. Russell got an assist on it, but it seems to me Martin should have gotten an offensive rebound for it instead. Not sure how official scoring works if a ball does not hit the rim.

On another note, in the 2nd half, Langevine shot an airball from the right side of the rim, went under the rim and caught his own errant shot and if I remember right he scored. It was very unusual looking but to me that should have been called traveling by the Refs. Only exception would have been if a VCU player had touched the ball as it left Langevine's hands - but I don't think they did. Anyone see this one?

Either way, Tyrese Martin is playing some very good basketball, especially rebounding the ball. Not so long ago I read posters wanting him out of the starting line up - how strong he is playing throughout this win streak

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What can I say - I lead a charmed life. I keep getting Wifi @ the Ryan. :D
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Have to say again that the defensive work that Jermaine Harris and Cyril Langevine did to shut down Santos-Silva was outstanding.
Both guys bodied up on Santos=Silva to neutralize his impact for VCU

and excellent game plan by the Coaching staff to neutralize Santos-Silva as well
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
What can I say - I lead a charmed life. I keep getting Wifi @ the Ryan. :D
You must have a magic seat location
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......speaking of Santos-Silva, is there anything more ugly than his free throw stroke?.......college coaching malpractice for a D1 staff to not correct that......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Did anyone have their phone out when Gina got booed?
I didn't hear the announcement but heard the boo.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Gotta love YouTube:

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Did anyone have their phone out when Gina got booed?
Just curious, but why so much booing for Gina?
Does that really help URI to do that? Wouldn't we want to positively acknowledge her presence? Several were upset that she attended the Brown-URI Game but then she comes to URI and gets roundly booed?

To be honest, I felt embarrassed for URI from the booing. Then again I don't like booing the current President, or ANY President at events like the Super Bowl, College Football Championship, World Series, etc. I'm just appreciative that any one of them takes in a Sporting Event.

Thoughts?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Does that really help URI to do that? Wouldn't we want to positively acknowledge her presence? Several were upset that she attended the Brown-URI Game but then she comes to URI and gets roundly booed?

To be honest, I felt embarrassed for URI from the booing. Then again I don't like booing the current President, or ANY President at events like the Super Bowl, College Football Championship, World Series, etc. I'm just appreciative that any one of them takes in a Sporting Event.

Thoughts?
Agree, public displays of boo like that are no fun for anyone. Her politics and mine don't align, but the wife and I met her at the beach a couple summers ago. Had a good 10 minute or so chat with her and she seemed like a regular human being. I know...weird, huh? I also wonder how many of the people that boo'd her...voted for her opponent. I'm sure there are some, but probably not that many. Check in if you are one that booed her and voted for her opponent, please... My guess is that MANY that booed her, didn't vote at all, but I could be wrong....
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Also it was awesome to see Deleon, Dawson Robinson and Will Leviton.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I felt that Cox and the Staff did a tremendous job to prepare for VCU. On top of that, a very successful groups of recruits were managed plus nice to see several former players on hand. That said, I'd only say that Jeff Dowtin was so incredibly red hot and on his game I did not care for Cox sitting Jeff towards the end of the 1st half because he had 2 fouls. Then Jeff sat again in the 2nd half when he picked up his 3rd foul. Jeff finished with 3 fouls but ended up playing only 30 minutes. Thought we needed to see more of Jeff in the 2nd half, especially when VCU was rapidly shrinking the lead. I'd have played the risk of Jeff fouling out because he was as hot as I've even seen him.
On the bright side, Jeff played only 30 minutes and we won...save those legs.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Thoughts?
Do you think if they applauded she would get us another 10% in the state budget? We can’t be offended or embarrassed over booing. If that’s how the people feel, then let them boo. Rhode Islanders are frustrated about the state of the state. One of the reasons I migrated south.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

While the second half was a downer - this game was over. A national TV audience on ESPN2 saw how good and exciting URI basketball is. This will help the perception of URI when it comes to ratings, recruiting and donors.
NCAAs or Bust!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

:D
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......speaking of Santos-Silva, is there anything more ugly than his free throw stroke?.......college coaching malpractice for a D1 staff to not correct that......no?
Wait to you see French from slu shoot free throws. Not a pretty sight