1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: 1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by RIFan »

Whew!!! Got the W! Great game guys!
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Ok took a deep breath. We won by 10+ to a higher ranked team. That will help all of our metrics. And i am thrilled. But that was a painful 2nd half to watch
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

This is why coaches have gray hair and ulcers.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Great win! Fatts is the Man!
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Great win! It’s not possible (at least for us) to play how we played first half and early second half for the entire game.

What a luxury having guards that can close the game from the line. Fatts is so calm.

Onto the next one!
4 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Did walker get banged up? Or did he just play limited minutes because he wasnt playing well?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Yooooog win. But getting out of the parking lot onto 138 is impossible. It's ridiculous that there isn't a single traffic cop out here which results in utter chaos.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let’s pause for a second to give Cox & Co their proper credit!

What a performance.

We knew VCU wasn’t gonna roll over.

We took care of business.

Go Rhody!
12 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Ok took a deep breath. We won by 10+ to a higher ranked team. That will help all of our metrics. And i am thrilled. But that was a painful 2nd half to watch
Was thinking this on the last 3 point attempt !
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

Honestly it really is hard to play from up 30 with 15 minutes left. It’s good when the other team lays down, which happens a lot, but as silly as it may sound it is hard. Hold on here and it’s a learning experience.

No its not. Keep playing the way that got you there. Dont start running the clock with 15 minutes to go!
Easy to say from your couch

ETA: I hate to make excuses because I do agree that this should not have happened. But it’s not the most surprising thing I’ve ever seen. It is human nature to get comfortable and lose some intensity and focus in that situation. You have to learn how to not do that. I don’t think it was “running clock” but more just not treasuring possessions.
How about giving VCU some credit?

Jesus Christ fellas, VCU played well in the 2nd half, yet we did enough work to win. We weren’t beating up on ducks tonight.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s was a great win !!

I am ecstatic!!

Great job team and coach

NCAA or bust within our reach
5 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

No its not. Keep playing the way that got you there. Dont start running the clock with 15 minutes to go!

ETA: I hate to make excuses because I do agree that this should not have happened. But it’s not the most surprising thing I’ve ever seen. It is human nature to get comfortable and lose some intensity and focus in that situation. You have to learn how to not do that. I don’t think it was “running clock” but more just not treasuring possessions.

Jesus Christ fellas, VCU played well in the 2nd half, yet we did enough work to win. We weren’t beating up on ducks tonight.

I took a deep breath doing better now. And happy, but that second half was not good offense was stagnant lapses on passes and got lackadaisical.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

This is a PROGRAM win, 9 games left till the A10 tourney. Focus time!!!
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I took a deep breath doing better now. And happy, but that second half was not good offense was stagnant lapses on passes and got lackadaisical.
A lackadaisical 38 pt 2nd half?! Cmon man.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

9 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Just 3 pts in over 7 minutes. It was a very lackadaisical stretch. Like i said i love this team and coach. But we CANNOT have those stretches against top competition and in the tournament.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Wow what a game! They made me nervous for a few minutes there but we are pretty darn good team. Huge performance by all the guys. The first half was unreal; an awesome performance. Jeff was amazing. Cyril his usual force. Tyrese with that huge put-back late. Fatts 16-18 from the line plus that huge assist late in the game. The other guys all chipping in. Great job!!!

Wouldn't mind having Bones on our side; he's a good player.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

College basketball, just like the pros, is a game of runs.

We played great for 25 minutes, not good for 10, then good for the last 5. VCU got hot during that stretch, and we were not.

It was plenty good enough, though.

Look what happened to Dayton against Duquesne. The same thing happened to them late in that game.

During VCU's run, we had our bench in the game, with such a big lead. We have to spell our starting 5 at times, or else they will wear down to nothing later in the season.

Now to avoid a letdown against UMass, please. Keep it going!
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Just 3 pts in over 7 minutes. It was a very lackadaisical stretch. Like i said i love this team and coach. But we CANNOT have those stretches against top competition and in the tournament.
VCU is top competition
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just back man that traffic was a mess. Haven't read anything on the board yet.Talk about the tale of two halves. We kicked their ass in the first and they kicked ours in the second. But luckily we beat them better. Good, bad or ugly...............JUST WIN!!!!!! Awesome game and an awesome crowd.
4 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

back from the game and all i can say is jermaine harris was great! very high quality 20 mins

jefe on fire in the 1st

fatts with a james harden type game (FT's)

martin hitting his stride

short answer: our bigs played amazing defense (ie santos 7 pts) and our guards took care of the scoring
9 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Best first half against a quality team that URI has played in a long time. Cox's challenge is to keep the player's fresh for each game. I wish we could defend a little better inside but not if it means sagging off outside shooters. Tyrese does it all. Freshmen need to become Sophomores.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I might create an account on the VCU board just to troll the fuck out of them. God damn we have their number.

What a W.

That three from Cyril was biggest “fuck it we’re hot, I’m taking this” shot in the history of college basketball. I absolutely loved it.

(Also props to Harris, played very well, I only yelled at him once / so so much better than Walker.)
9 x
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Go Rhody!!! All the 6th men on there intramural and cyo coaches can take a break at their analysis for a day. Get some rest
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I loved the Cyril 3 as well...wide open, up 20, let er rip.
Great game, totally amazing first half.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Cyril’s 3 was the heat check for Dowtin - i laughed
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

That was certainly a lot of fun. I never imagined that Rhody would so thoroughly dominate VCU. We for some reason seem to own them. We are either a very bad match up for them or we are in their head. Talent is pretty comparable so no other way to explain it. On to the next opponent UMass. Got to keep this streak going.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I also think the foul trouble was a key in the VCU run. We have an 8 man roster, and they had some heavy fouls. They had to lay off on defense to stay in the game.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......can’t for tomorrow’s Team Rankings URI report, to see how they under rank us again....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Guy sitting next to me started complaining right away about Harris. I told him if he kept it up he was leaving. Harris played great and shit the guy up.

Great Win. Onto the next one
6 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That stretch in the first half where Dowtin hit 3 straight 3s was awesome.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago That stretch in the first half where Dowtin hit 3 straight 3s was awesome.
After he hit the second one, I said, "dang, he's hot AND fired up" and then right after that he stuck the third. LOVE to see that guy as pumped up as he was.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

just back from the game. looong night. drove from Mystic, CT to the Mews to meet a friend for dinner arrived at 5pm...sans my tix. UGH! back to mystic to get said tix and then back to the RC. arrived hungry 20 minutes before tip.

absolutely shocked as i'm sure most were by the way the game started. i thought we would come out too hyped and fall behind early. oops. phenomenal from box to wire. knew they would make a run. all good teams do. ONLY negative was what the hell was Cox thinking when they started making the run? Lead went from 29 to 12 before he called TO? Other than that, it's all good. :)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thought I was going to throw up in the second half but wow that was fun! KEEP RAMMING
2 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I watched the VCU a lot, he looked like he had no answers to go when late in the first half when it was getting away from them.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I might create an account on the VCU board just to troll the fuck out of them. God damn we have their number.

What a W.

That three from Cyril was biggest “fuck it we’re hot, I’m taking this” shot in the history of college basketball. I absolutely loved it.

(Also props to Harris, played very well, I only yelled at him once / so so much better than Walker.)
Stop making me like you....
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Who are you cheering for??
Do I get to root for a tie?

I'm sure the closer I am to the court, the more I'll cheer for URI. With the folk I'm going with, I don't think I have a choice.

In the last decade, the only times I've gone to the Ryan Center URI has lost. That in itself may be enough of a curse.
Can we start a go fund me page to pay RJ to stay away? I'll give $10.
Perhaps someone needs to buy me a season ticket because my interests remained undefeated in the last decade. Or a go fund me still works lol
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Awesome time at the Ryan Center! Rhody almost made Santos-Silva disappear in the first half. We look unbeatable when Jeff and Fatts both have it going at the same time. Tyrese and Cyril eating glass grabbing clutch rebounds. I am very impressed by tonight's performance.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am starting to think Jermaine and Antoine can handle things next season if we have to bring in freshman bigs until they get up to speed. No grad transfer needed.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

VCU is top competition
Exactly, this wasn’t Howard U.

Does anyone play a perfect 40 minutes?
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Hey. Few comments on VCU and the game...
- VCU fans are legit fans. They don’t trash their own team (except for the Vann kid). They have a loyal crew.
- Bones is going to be legit. He’s good. Going to be real good. If I’m VCU and I have Bones and McAllister (sp?) they’re in good shape.
- i’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. When we have Fatts and Dowtin going (and Martin) we can compete with anyone. Bring on Dayton.
- Cyril and JH dominated down low. Dominated. Well done. Completely changed the game.
LETS F’IN GOOOO!!! This was a statement win. This is a tournament team. Let’s keep it going!!!! Go Rhody!
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Life is so much better when the meltdown is on another team’s (way below the quality and ad free experience of KB) board.

The vcu fan who sat in 211 was very nice and blended well into the crowd. I know he post on the vcu board.

Apparently the refs overly favored URI and Uri will return to the unknown when Jeff leaves. They also hate Cox with a passion that even some on their board don’t seem to get.

The game tonight was fun, terrifying, and the best half of URI basketball I have seen in a hot minute.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That first half was the best half a URI team has played in quite some time. Both the individual and team defense were incredible. And the offense was really good too. When Jeff hit his last three in the half, I thought the roof was going to come off. One thing I hate is stall ball, especially with 15 minutes left in the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the win. I just don't like that, never have. Two minutes left and up by 10, fine! Anyway, a great night at the RC, love this team.
5 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Did walker get banged up? Or did he just play limited minutes because he wasnt playing well?
Yeah, what happened to him?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

8-1. 16-5. Just got home. Can't wait to read the assumed roller coaster game thread. Bottom line is an excellent win against a team battling us for an NCAA berth. Control our own destiny. Can't ask for more than that. Great time.. don't prescribe to Steve McDonald continuing to talk about the 2 Dayton games. Stay focused. 1 game at a time.. electric place the Ryan center is when full..
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Post show said Walker played less because of matchups. Long and Toppin are more guard-oriented and so is VCU. Harris was great down low so Walker was a tweener.
1 x
GO RAMS
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

- Best tweet of the night... ‘Refs we’re close to ejecting Langevine after his 3 point shot.’ Ha. Cracked me up. Where do they come up with these things?
- Funny watching these kids at the table getting interviewed after the game. What are they reading??? Whats on the paper????
- Let’s root for VCU the rest of the way. Need to pump up the A10!!
A few of my buddies (Villanova and Seton Hall fans) came over to watch the game. When we were up by 27, one said “this is a blow out, want to watch something else?” I was like BRO. RHODY DOESN’T BLOW ANYONE OUT. WE MAKE EVERY GAME INTERESTING. Enough said. I’m going to bed. Exhausted.
5 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Gotta hear from EZBuckets on this one.

I was sitting in 304 and during the 2nd half I saw you chirping towards the VCU fans and even gave them the Italian chin flick gesture at one point.

What was going on down in the 200's???
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Update on creating a troll account on their board, I couldn’t make my way around all the ads.

What a clusterfuck.
1 x
Go Rhody