[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Essam
Steve Chubin

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by Essam »

h yes, the highest paid state employee argument. If you want to make a case against being ignorant, that's probably not the best place to start.

He is also the second highest paid div 1 coach in RI.The little school in Providence takes top honors
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I understand why Hurley hasn't said anything. He hasn't been contacted and no one in their right mind would close a door without having a conversation first. But I also agreed with GBG: until Hurley says I'm not leaving, i'm a little nervous.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Billy, we had plenty of buzz while Harrick was here, and in 1988.
Same when Sly was here.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Until Rutgers names someone else as coach.......anything can happen....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I would think that anybody with any "clout" from Rutgers is not at the Final Four. With no AD and a President certainly not on stable ground things are not going to happen too quickly at RU except some transfer news.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Assembly investigation could drag on through the summer.
Barchi ruined himself today, with a pathetic performance, trying to laugh the whole
thing off.
Top story on ABC News the other night, and replaced Lebron as the number one ESPN SC topic.
Whoever get this job will be like taking the Penn State nightmare job after the
Sandusky mess.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Billy, we had plenty of buzz while Harrick was here, and in 1988.
Same when Sly was here.
The buzz was here from URI fans, yes, not from our own state or local media, at least when Sly was here.....the headline in the paper was something like "Rhode Island State Senate wishes the Providence College Friars good luck in the NCAA Tournament"...(We were in it too.)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The 88 buzz was huge. Top national sports story for a week during NCAA's.

So close we are. I am hopeful Hurley gets it. Family history certainly shows no evidence of chasing the almighty dollar. Heck, dad could have made millions.

Integrity.

Let's hope it shows up in this case. I am cautiously optimistic and all the pc agenda driven noise is easy to tune out.

....and I vividly remember how we got hosed in 78... I remember it all.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody74 wrote:I dunno, but the Post story reads like a story about a man who's thinking of leaving his wife for a beautiful woman but is confilicted by two facts:

1. He's happily married;
2. The other woman has syphilis
Rhody 74 Great!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

3wisemen wrote:Scine, would you leave your job after one year if a rival company offered to triple your salary and guarantee your job security for a longer time? If you say no, you're the real fraud. That's incredibly hypocritical.
again, the issue is what Dan said to uri, the players and recruits. If he did commit, and he leaves, he ruins his reputation. No getting around this.

He would be the same as all the other whores in the game.

If did not commit to transferees and recruits, then he is doing nothing wrong.

Of course, the odds are that the recruits and transferees had some assurance from him.

He is a good man, and he will stay!!!!!!!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:"Keep the faith with Dan - he likes it here, a lot and knows that there is so much more to accomplish and do but is so critical that we continue to supply him and the program with the tools they need to remain competitive - both on and off the court. I believe that we are and have a great plan going forward. "
This from someone who should know what's going on in Kingston.
In case you've been sleeping, there are many things in motion to accomplish getting us the program
to compete on a level playing field.
Rhody74, Munford, Biggie and Aaman are always going home for weekends. BFD!
This makes sense, Dan could be using this to better our program; it makes no sense for Dan to let the rumors linger and grow and hurt his own recruiting chances at uri for a mess and the possibility of maybe getting an offer from a yet to be names AD and maybe Prez.

Dan is a smart guy!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I 100% agree with Scine20 from previous post. Hurley should honor the commitment he made to the University and his players. You don't take a job promise the moon and leave before you have accomplished anything. 1 and done just looks bad to us and anybody else. URI is accomading him very well and it is now time for him to back it up with W's on the court. The money will always be there for Hurley wether its URI paying it or another school. The reality is if he leaves he has a record of leaving 2 schools in 3 years without accomplishing anything relevant. If it didn't work out at Rutgers he would really tarnsih any legacy he hoped to build. Karma is a bitch. He would be foolish to leave. I feel confident he will make the right choice and stay at Rhody.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

3wisemen wrote:You'd be making the same commitment to your co-workers and your boss. And then you would leave. Stop thinking like a fan and get serious.
3 wiseman u r wrong. your reputation is what sustains you. it is what you look for in people. it is lasting and does mean a lot.

I am and have been in business; u simply do not go back on your commitments. Period!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You have to honor commitments in this life.
I was managing a place and brought in a good friend to help do
something I knew he did very well. I also assembled my team from people I'd previously worked with.
A few months later, I was asked to return to my prior company, with a hefty raise, and
perks. They put the full court press on, wining and dining me with those who I was close to at that place.
It was very tempting, but I thought about the people I hired, who came there because of me.
I decided not to take the job offered.
Some of us have loyalties to people, and not the almighty dollar.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Something tells me DH doesn't have any Pitino in him
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

seanmc94 wrote:Something tells me DH doesn't have any Pitino in him
But waitresses do, for about 15 seconds anyway.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

Sweep the leg.... awesome pitino comment.

now on to the bad news. Heard from a very close source to the URI program that Hurley has already taken the job at Rutgers, for 2 Mill. Announcement to come Sunday/Monday.

That is all I know. Nothing more or less. But the person I talked to made it sound as if it was a done deal already.

I personally find it hard to believe, but thought I would pass it on.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dick Vitale‏@DickieV10h
Ran into one of the great coaches in HS history @ hotel Bob Hurley a HOF er- told Bob his son Danny would be fantastic 4 RUTGERS!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RamJam wrote:Sweep the leg.... awesome pitino comment.

now on to the bad news. Heard from a very close source to the URI program that Hurley has already taken the job at Rutgers, for 2 Mill. Announcement to come Sunday/Monday.

That is all I know. Nothing more or less. But the person I talked to made it sound as if it was a done deal already.

I personally find it hard to believe, but thought I would pass it on.
Who hired him? Rutgers doesn't have an AD.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

RamJam how can they hire a coach if they don't have the AD to hire one??
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

o............m.............g
0 x
GO RAMS
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

twisted3829 wrote:RamJam how can they hire a coach if they don't have the AD to hire one??

The President has that authority, but may not be qualified to make athletic decisions. But, I'm sure has been getting input from people still close to the program.

2mil a year seems steep for him right now.

Unless the NCAA lets his recruits and transfers follow him without sitting a year, this would be a bad decision. But, if they do, and Dan leaves, it would cripple our program.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Let's hope this turns out just like the Thorr rumors did. I cannot see Rutgers giving 2 million dollars a year to an unproven coach who has never brought a team to the postseason and most recently won 8 freaking games out of 29.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:Something tells me DH doesn't have any Pitino in him
But waitresses do, for about 15 seconds anyway.
Possibly the quote of the year
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'll say it now, Ill dislike Hurley 10 times more than Baron if he abandons this program
0 x
GO RAMS
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

Like I said guys, I dont have any details as it was a brief convo, and not sure he has them either. So I cant confirm who made the hire and what not, or if in fact its actually done. But I was told 2 mil a year, done deal. Sunday/Monday announcement. FWIW, thought I would pass it along.

I think that's a very steep price as well, but Rutgers, at this point, has to save face and if they think hes the man, I wouldn't doubt they would over spend to get the guy they want.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RamJam wrote:Like I said guys, I dont have any details as it was a brief convo, and not sure he has them either. So I cant confirm who made the hire and what not, or if in fact its actually done. But I was told 2 mil a year, done deal. Sunday/Monday announcement. FWIW, thought I would pass it along.

I think that's a very steep price as well, but Rutgers, at this point, has to save face and if they think hes the man, I wouldn't doubt they would over spend to get the guy they want.
Obviously you won't name the source, but how exactly is this guy "close to the program"?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Dick Vitale‏@DickieV10h
Ran into one of the great coaches in HS history @ hotel Bob Hurley a HOF er- told Bob his son Danny would be fantastic 4 RUTGERS!
Dickie should mind his business
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I also don't get how he could be hired if Hurley was with a recruit Monday and flew to the final 4 Tuesday?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If this were a done deal, somebody would have posted it on Twitter...I don't believe this information one bit.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

twisted3829 wrote:I also don't get how he could be hired if Hurley was with a recruit Monday and flew to the final 4 Tuesday?
Rutgers could have flown someone to Atlanta to meet with him or spoke via video conference. They need a positive spin so badly, they may overpay and offer him the job sight unseen. And Gil might be able to go with him. Other than Ware, is there a more sympathetic athlete in sports than him? And what a story that would be, the triumph return of Gil to Rutgers to finish is career. The NCAA will bend over backwards to accommodate Rutgers to make this go away and play program savior. Especially, now the are in the Big Ten.

If Dan leaves, Thorr should be pissed. I think part of the reason he didn't go was of what they are building here. And now he may lose both Hurley brothers less than a month of his announcement he is staying. That my friends would be douchebaggy with a capital D.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Please be wrong...please be wrong...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, somebody emailed me with this pile of crap:
"Rod - Although I monitor the boards regularly, I hardly ever post so I figured I would send you this information to do what you want with. Unforunately, I have learned from a close source to the university and a former player with URI, that Dan has accepted a deal that would pay him $2 million a year with Rutgers and is going to accept. I guess it wont go public for at least a day or so or as long as Monday. What sucks even more is Thorr is gone too. Apparantley he has accepted an AD position somewhere. The school is unknown to this source but he is out too. I cant believe this shit but I guess it is reality. This source is very credible."
The Thorr part is what made me think that this is total April Foold crapola.

What former URI player is Dan a confindent of? Who at Rutgers is the hiring authority?
I call BULLSHIT.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RamJam wrote:Like I said guys, I dont have any details as it was a brief convo, and not sure he has them either. So I cant confirm who made the hire and what not, or if in fact its actually done. But I was told 2 mil a year, done deal. Sunday/Monday announcement. FWIW, thought I would pass it along.

I don't pretend to know what's going on since I'm not in Hurley or his family's heads, but the idea that someone at Rutgers has been given the power to act with complete autonomy to hire a coach for more than double what the last coach was making, on the same day the AD resigned and the university president embarrassed himself at a press conference, and a guy walking around RI knows not only these facts but the exact monetary terms of the contract and the press conference schedule but nobody in the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area has even squeaked that the hiring search is ongoing despite the fact that the media has taken over the Rutgers campus, its so hard to believe I've just written the longest run-on sentence of my life.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:OK, somebody emailed me with this pile of crap:
"Rod - Although I monitor the boards regularly, I hardly ever post so I figured I would send you this information to do what you want with. Unforunately, I have learned from a close source to the university and a former player with URI, that Dan has accepted a deal that would pay him $2 million a year with Rutgers and is going to accept. I guess it wont go public for at least a day or so or as long as Monday. What sucks even more is Thorr is gone too. Apparantley he has accepted an AD position somewhere. The school is unknown to this source but he is out too. I cant believe this shit but I guess it is reality. This source is very credible."
The Thorr part is what made me think that this is total April Foold crapola.

What former URI player is Dan a confindent of? Who at Rutgers is the hiring authority?
I call BULLSHIT.
Is he sure they aren't just closing down the school to?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If this anonymous source knows people who supposedly "know"...then if it's true, others know too. If that is the case, it would have "leaked" online(not us) by now. I think someone is having fun with us, and in particular, Rod, who is so passionate about the subject.
Last edited by RIFan 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

BFC wrote:I don't pretend to know what's going on since I'm not in Hurley or his family's heads, but the idea that someone at Rutgers has been given the power to act with complete autonomy to hire a coach for more than double what the last coach was making, on the same day the AD resigned and the university president embarrassed himself at a press conference, and a guy walking around RI knows not only these facts but the exact monetary terms of the contract and the press conference schedule but nobody in the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area has even squeaked that the hiring search is ongoing despite the fact that the media has taken over the Rutgers campus, its so hard to believe I've just written the longest run-on sentence of my life.
Bingo! I'm glad somebody has a brain around here ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BFC is 100% right
Oh, and not ONE whisper on Twitter universe.
As for the crap passed along to me, look at the posts by Ramjam. It's the same information, Somebody is having fun.
Here's what I tweeted to Vitale:

@Midurafam @DickieV How about minding your own damned business!
We love Dan RIGHT HERE IN RHODE ISLAND! All you care about is BCS schools!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

And I tweeted to them, "Lets leave Dan where he is and watch him build a winner at URI!"
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

RIFan wrote:If this anonymous source knows people who supposedly "know"...then if it's true, others know too. If that is the case, it would have "leaked" online(not us) by now. I think someone is having fun with us, and in particular, Rod, who is so passionate about the subject.
Exactly. If it's even remotely true, not a shot that we haven't heard another peep about it somewhere else online from a so-called "expert". The "Thorr is gone too" comment pushes it over the edge for me...I'm calling b*llshit on this one.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good grief. This is getting fucking ridiculous.

Someone close to the program who was a player at URI?

Preston? Yeah sure.

If Dan were to announce he's leaving URI from the Final Four on Monday, he need not come back.

This is total bullshit.

Just end the crap, and say something, Dan! He doesn't have to wait for Rutgers to call him. He doesn't have to not say anything, just to protect Birutas and Carr, either.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Outside of Hurley being a self-centered greedy prick if he leaves, the thing that really pisses me off about this whole thing is the media treating URI like it doesn't exist. Vitale's tweet basically says it all. He is a member of the media and he shouldn't be politicking for a coach to go from one school to another. And these newspapers writing articles about why Hurley should go to Rutgers like URI is some annoying little bug that should be squashed and in essence doesn't exist. It shows what's wrong about the sport.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

There's nothing even on the Rutgers board. I tend to think that someone is screwing with ramjam and Rod.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am starting to get concerned that he hasn't publicly renounced these rumors. They cannot be helping his recruiting efforts. Or maybe they do...if you are following college BBall you are hearing his name a lot right now.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In determining the quality of a rumor always take two steps; first evaluate the source, and second, contact anyone you know who has intimate knowledge of the URI program to get a second confirmation.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just what I've done, and waiting to hear back.
Unfortuately, it's Friday night.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Billyboy78 wrote:Dick Vitale‏@DickieV10h
This is so far over the line, imagine if he tweeted, just ran into Mrs. Calipari, told her her husband would be great coaching the NY Knicks. This may need a separate thread but how do we bombard ESPN with complaints?
0 x
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

that is pretty bold for dickey v. but whats the difference between a member of the media saying that or anyone else?? everyone is entitled to an opinion
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm still supremely confident Dan's not going anywhere.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Vitale's comment is just a compliment to a father about his son, that's all. I mean, it's Dick Vitale, you guys.
0 x