What is or was the most important game in the Ryan Center?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

What is or was the most important game in the Ryan Center?

Unread post by Rhody83 »

One could argue that Friday night is the most important game ever played in the Ryan Center. If you believe the KB mantra “NCAA or Bust”.
I believe a win Friday night along with finishing in 2nd place in the A10 punches the Rams’ ticket.
In the last two NCAA Tournament years there really wasn’t one game that had this level of importance for an NCAA birth particularly this deep into the season (game 21). In 2017 Rhody’s only chance was winning the A10 Tournament. In 2018 Rhody started league play 13-0 (and a 16 game win streak), had beaten #20 Seton Hall and was ranked in the Top 25. On Jan 31st that year they were 18-3.

I am not including the Dayton game this year in March. It could surpass this game depending on how Rhody and Dayton play over the next month.

What do you think is/was the most important game in the Ryan Center?
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: What is or was the most important game in the Ryan Center?

Unread post by theblueram »

I would have to go back to that 2009 Umass game where most brackets had us in the NCAAT if we won and out if we lost. Unfortunately we lost.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I would have to go back to that 2009 Umass game where most brackets had us in the NCAAT if we won and out if we lost. Unfortunately we lost.
That was big and that one hurt. I have tried to blackout all the failed runs under Baron.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I would have to go back to that 2009 Umass game where most brackets had us in the NCAAT if we won and out if we lost. Unfortunately we lost.
That was big and that one hurt. I have tried to blackout all the failed runs under Baron.
But in regards to most important, that one is probably it. Yeah it sucked. The crowd just stood there in disbelief.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Matt Glass.

The moving screen that wasn't.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We’ve definitely had bigger games here - we just always ended up losing them until Hurley.

This is most definitely the biggest game of the Cox era (depending on the rest of the season and Dayton’s March 4 matchup).
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Jimmy Senior Day loss to UMass still pains me. We all know the story there. Some other ones that I think of similarly:

The next year, 19-3 Rhody loses to Richmond in a blizzard as Cothran’s three to win it at the buzzer bounced out - kicked off a stretch where URI lost 4 of 5 and went from looking like it was cruising to a tourney bid to a devastating free fall. Richmond went on to a 13-3 season in the A10 and made the tournament (playing in Providence as a 7 seed). Ironically that was the last time Richmond won here until earlier this month.

In 2014-15, Rhody was making a late season charge to a tournament bid and Davidson came in on a streak that would eventually reach 10 games. Gibbs’ late corner three put Davidson ahead by one and Jared’s buzzer beater missed. Davidson went on to finish A10 at 14-4 and make the tournament. URI finished one game behind at 13-5 and went to the NIT.

I believe winning any of those three games - all of which came down to the last play - would have resulted in NCAA tournament berths. Life as a Rhody fan for the almost 20 years between the Lamar/Harrick team and the 2016-17 team. It’s a new day now, so hopefully we can flip the script tomorrow.

If I had to pick a happy memory huge game just for karma’s sake, I’d go with Nebraska earlier in the 2014-15 season. In part because of the aforementioned Davidson game that didn’t end up being a part of a great tournament run, but in the larger arc of the program there aren’t too many that were bigger.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Davidson game, March 4, 2017. Senior Day for Hassan... Rhody needed a win to give themselves a shot at an at-large. Stan Robinson blocked the game-winning shot to send it to OT, Rams won 73-70. They probably don't win it all in Pittsburgh if they don't win that game.
4 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

The first home game against PC
0 x
Clapton is God
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago We’ve definitely had bigger games here - we just always ended up losing them until Hurley.

This is most definitely the biggest game of the Cox era (depending on the rest of the season and Dayton’s March 4 matchup).
I would say tomorrow is more important than any game at the RC when Hurley was coach. That Davidson game was great but it wasn’t getting Rhody an at-large bid.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago We’ve definitely had bigger games here - we just always ended up losing them until Hurley.

I would say tomorrow is more important than any game at the RC when Hurley was coach. That Davidson game was great but it wasn’t getting Rhody an at-large bid.
Tomorrow’s game isn’t getting us an at large either, UNLESS, we win 7-8 of our next 10.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

St. Joes. They came in ranked #2 I think.
Jameer Nelson player of the year
Delonte west.

Dickie V in the house!

Rhody had the upset but west hit a 3 at the end.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodysk wrote: 4 years ago St. Joes. They came in ranked #2 I think.
Jameer Nelson player of the year
Delonte west.

Dickie V in the house!

Rhody had the upset but west hit a 3 at the end.
Steve Mello rimmed out a game winning 3 at the buzzer
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago The first home game against PC
Bingo.

If there was ever a "being led to slaughter" game that was it. Finally got the glorified high school to leave the dump
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The Xavier game Feb 18, 2008. That year URI started off 14-1 with win at Syracuse. Xavier came in ranked 10th with 21-4 record and URI was 20-5. The game was tied 60-60 with 6:30 minutes left after big rams comeback. Xavier pulled away down the stretch and URI ended up 21-13 having lost 9
of their last 10. I can still remember that game and how loud it was when they tied it. Last good memory of that season. That was a Baron coaches team for you.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Agree on the Richmond snow game, the UMass Glass pick game, that Xavier game, all losses that kept those Baron teams from dancing. The UMass game was the worst. I told my son before the play that they needed to get the ball out of that kid (Lowe?)'s hands no matter what. Double team; triple team, whatever it took. Nope. He went all the way down the court and made the shot.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I can’t see tomorrow being close to the most important.

We win that’s great, but we’re nowhere near to locking up a bid if we even win tomorrow.

Still too many games left to play.
2 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Agree on the Richmond snow game, the UMass Glass pick game, that Xavier game, all losses that kept those Baron teams from dancing. The UMass game was the worst. I told my son before the play that they needed to get the ball out of that kid (Lowe?)'s hands no matter what. Double team; triple team, whatever it took. Nope. He went all the way down the court and made the shot.
Yup. It felt like everything was in slow motion as he came up the sideline past the pick/foul and scored the winning basket. You just stood there waiting for some type of call or something. I remember thinking no way is the game ending like this. No chance we are all leaving the Ryan Center with the game ending like this.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

You know what is the most important game? The next game.
7 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The game that had the biggest impact on URI post season was the umass loss. That was an NCAA team that was coached out of a bid.
Nebraska was a game that made the rest of the country look at URI for the first time in 15 years.
St. Joes was big, not for URI, but for St. Joe’s and their undefeated season.
Having PC come for the first time was big as it put a claim on not being a small time program.
Clinching the regular season championship for the first time in the A10 was a big home game as well.

Friday’s VCU game will be rocking and a benchmark memory for this season, but I think Dayton in March will be a bigger game regardless of a win or loss tomorrow.
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Tomorrow .
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This is the second time in this thread you've said we weren't getting an at large that year and you're wrong. The tournament committee said we were in once we made the championship game. If we lost to VCU we were headed to Dayton for a first four game. Our win bumped PC to Dayton. We were getting an at large bid that year
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, this is objective fact. The ‘16-17 team was an at-large team. They played themselves in. Winning the A10 tournament was awesome and one of the best moments here in a long time - and it also got us out of the First Four play-in situation - but in the end it wasn’t entirely necessary.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

This is the second time in this thread you've said we weren't getting an at large that year and you're wrong. The tournament committee said we were in once we made the championship game. If we lost to VCU we were headed to Dayton for a first four game. Our win bumped PC to Dayton. We were getting an at large bid that year
Correct RR2. The Davidson win was a huge win.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

Correct RR2. The Davidson win was a huge win.
You could be right. We will never know. I watched the Championship game replay on CBS last night. During the telecast they had Rhody on the bubble.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They did but the selection committee confirmed afterwards that URI was in the field win or lose, but had they lost they’d have been in the play-in game.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago They did but the selection committee confirmed afterwards that URI was in the field win or lose, but had they lost they’d have been in the play-in game.
That’s exactly right. They confirmed URI was in win or lose. Only the seeding would be impacted.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Yup, I remember we were in either way per the selection committee
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Correct RR2. The Davidson win was a huge win.
You could be right. We will never know. I watched the Championship game replay on CBS last night. During the telecast they had Rhody on the bubble.
Jesus dude. The committee straight up confirmed we were going to be in either way. We know.
1 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Correct RR2. The Davidson win was a huge win.
Jesus dude. The committee straight up confirmed we were going to be in either way. We know.
It did save us from having to play in the play-in game, which was pretty big.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It sent Friars to first four.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhody_JAM wrote: 4 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago

It did save us from having to play in the play-in game, which was pretty big.
Totally agree that it was a big game. Just responding to the annoying "guess we'll never know" if we would have gotten a bid, when we definitely do know.
1 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago The Xavier game Feb 18, 2008. That year URI started off 14-1 with win at Syracuse. Xavier came in ranked 10th with 21-4 record and URI was 20-5. The game was tied 60-60 with 6:30 minutes left after big rams comeback. Xavier pulled away down the stretch and URI ended up 21-13 having lost 9
of their last 10. I can still remember that game and how loud it was when they tied it. Last good memory of that season. That was a Baron coaches team for you.
That was the start of a week from hell for URI. I believe Xavier was Monday, UMASS was Thursday, and St. Joes was Sunday. All three were at home and if we won 2 out of 3 we were in the tourney and 1 out of 3 would have kept us in the conversation. Instead we lost all three.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Losing 9 out of the last 10 was beyond ridiculous.

That was the MONTH from hell.

I remember listening to Steve and Don when we lost at St. Louis which really started the downward spiral.

Then we barely beat Fordham.

After that it was look out below.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago It sent Friars to first four.

2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago It sent Friars to first four.

Print these out and laminate them. Then read them to your kids and grandkids for bedtime stories, read them to any Friar fans you encounter, hell read them to any random person you meet
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SlamRam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SlamRam »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago You know what is the most important game? The next game.
Only until it is over......then the next one.....then the next one....then
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While it is funny and ironic that our winning the A10 championship that year knocked the friars to the first four in reality Marquette was the team that the committee should have swapped.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

St. Joseph’s 2004. When you have a chance to beat an undefeated team at home in late February on national TV in front of Dick Vitale and put yourself into the national conversation for a tournament berth and you lose on a last second miss, that’s a big deal. Particularly after how far they’d come since 1999-2000. And the program didn’t recover for a while after that loss.
1 x