‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI ---> Charleston Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (Offer)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago We really need a serviceable big out of these
Remaining scholy's! Then a LIGHTS OUT SHOOTER!!
Just once sacrifice a little on the "great on ball defensive" and
Great athlete side for a passable defense great SHOOTER
Guy!! The great SHOOTER,great defender,great athlete package is a 5 star,
Usually ends up in P5! Jimmy Baron was a great SHOOTER and passable
Defense guy. Would he not be good enough to play for us now?

Well Leggett is a good shooter.

Sheppard is a great shooter.

Devale Johnson is a great shooter.

They will all play next year.

As far as next year is concerned we should improve quite a bit.
Leggett and Sheppard will be great additions. I don’t think Johnson ever contributes much of anything to URI. Just my feel. I don’t think he is an A-10 quality player
Probably not, but he is a great shooter.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago We really need a serviceable big out of these
Remaining scholy's! Then a LIGHTS OUT SHOOTER!!
Just once sacrifice a little on the "great on ball defensive" and
Great athlete side for a passable defense great SHOOTER
Guy!! The great SHOOTER,great defender,great athlete package is a 5 star,
Usually ends up in P5! Jimmy Baron was a great SHOOTER and passable
Defense guy. Would he not be good enough to play for us now?
I agree with this take 100% except for the claim that Jimmy Baron was a “passable defense” guy. He was not passable when he came here, he was passable by the time he left. There are guys out there who are available who may even go D3 that can shoot like Jimmy but are below average athletes (as far as college basketball players go) and get overlooked. I also think that Cox won’t put them on them floor because of how much Defense matters in the system. I actually wonder sometimes how much PT Jimmy would have gotten if his dad wasn’t the coach (and that is not a slight on Jimmy who was a freakin awesome college basketball player, I just don’t know what coach would have lived with having to hide the defensive liability that he was early in his career here).
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

My opinion? I don't know Cox any better than the rest of you, but if you think he's going to take a "pure shooter" ala Jimmy Baron, who can shoot the lights out but can't perform any other function on the floor at this level...

...over someone like Tres Berry, Bishop, Leggett, you're dreaming.

Do you see any of that happening on one of Hurley's teams? Have we seen that yet on a Cox team? That just isn't the plan.

These guys believe a defense is like a chain, meaning it's only as strong as your weakest link. That's why DJ was red shirted, who is apparently a Josh King like shooter.

Josh King would have been redshirted, by Cox or Hurley, for lack of defensive athleticism
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago My opinion? I don't know Cox any better than the rest of you, but if you think he's going to take a "pure shooter" ala Jimmy Baron, who can shoot the lights out but can't perform any other function on the floor at this level...

...over someone like Tres Berry, Bishop, Leggett, you're dreaming.

Do you see any of that happening on one of Hurley's teams? Have we seen that yet on a Cox team? That just isn't the plan.

These guys believe a defense is like a chain, meaning it's only as strong as your weakest link. That's why DJ was red shirted, who is apparently a Josh King like shooter.

Josh King would have been redshirted, by Cox or Hurley, for lack of defensive athleticism
I know that Cox LOVES length. An athlete with length will jump to the top of his charts because he believes the most important part of defense is shutting down passing and driving lanes. Tres definitely has that length for a guard.

To be fair Hurley did go and get a pure shooter in Four McGlynn, once he had his team in place. Unfortunately we never got to see what that team looked like because Four had to become the starter when EC went down.

I would expect Cox to do the same - IF - we have a deficiency there.

Fatts is very clearly a good shooter, and if he keeps getting better he could be a 40% 3 point guy. Sheppard has been reported to have a great shot. Leggett looks to have a stroke as well.

Either way, you never know how a shooter will be until they get to this level. Best to be more cautious and take the athlete who can do everything rather than the one-dimensional shooter.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree with Blueman. Would add that Sheppard proved himself at this level his Fr year averaging 9+ points in the American. He is the best outside shooter on the current roster.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RAMFAN wrote: 4 years ago Mentions the outside shot has improved

http://www.zachsmart.com/2020/01/stock- ... court.html
also mentions his 6'10" wingspan :shock:

Length: check
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love players like Tres hope we get him to commit
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

If I were an opposing team/coach I would feed Rhody a steady diet of zone until
we proved we could shoot over it. We are a streaky shooting team and Fatts
is the biggest example of streak shooter. When he's on he's virtually impossible to
stop and he's not he can't throw the ball in the ocean. Luckily he's been
on more often then not. He's a good free throw shooter and like it's been said
in the last 2-3 minutes of a game he's absolute money! If Berry can shoot I'm in, if
he's a slasher that can't shoot for S#!t move on to the next guy.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I would love a sharpshooter, but I'm not passing on a kid like this.

Tres is the type of dude that will bully a one dimensional shooter on D and then dunk on him on the other end. Give me an athletic lockdown defender with an improving shot over a shooter who can't play D. That's just my style though.
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Have we ever had someone from Tennessee?
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Irv Chatman transferred from University of Tennessee.
Kuran Iverson and Dinno Daniels transferred from Memphis.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago I would love a sharpshooter, but I'm not passing on a kid like this.

Tres is the type of dude that will bully a one dimensional shooter on D and then dunk on him on the other end. Give me an athletic lockdown defender with an improving shot over a shooter who can't play D every day. That's just my style though.

agreed, and it's pretty clear based on the fact that one of our best shooters is red shirting a year when we are thin, that a sharp shooter that can't otherwise ball isn't getting PT.

Also if DJ is still in the plans for next year as well as sheppard, we may have the shooters needed.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Matthew Butler is from Tennessee.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rather have a guy with a developing shot that has a high athletic ceiling, than a sharp shooter that is a constant defensive liability.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Tres is going to see a very good game on Friday.
0 x
SlamRam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SlamRam »

I like this recruit.....have a great visit....
Last edited by SlamRam 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For anybody who would like to see Tres come here, you should follow him on twitter ahead of his visit. You don't have to tweet anything. These kids take notice on who follows them. https://twitter.com/tres_berry
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SlamRam wrote: 4 years ago He spells his own name wrong.....Norrance…. I don't like that in a recruit....
Please delete this. These kids read forums.
1 x
SlamRam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SlamRam »

I was just playing with Zach Smart and reckless jake….btw
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Matthew Butler is from Tennessee.
Ah right. Totally forgot about him
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Hopefully by this time next week this thread is pinned.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully by this time next week this thread is pinned.
I’d take that bet.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully by this time next week this thread is pinned.
I’d take that bet.
Confused. Didn’t see the bet offer. Are you saying you think that Berry will make a verbal commitment by next week?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I’d take that bet.
Confused. Didn’t see the bet offer. Are you saying you think that Berry will make a verbal commitment by next week?
Lol reading too much into it. I’m saying I think we have a good shot
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

If Berry and Odusipe both commit to URI, this team will be locked and reloaded next year. Oh man, watch out A10! I don't know how many spots are left, but getting Richards as well would be icing on the cake.
Friday is going to be nuts! Great game to attend!
Cox needs to be Yoda and basically say "come to URI you must. A Rhody ram you will be."
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Is there any concern bringing in a 3rd guard with Wood and Leggett already committed and Fatts set to be here another year?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Is there any concern bringing in a 3rd guard with Wood and Leggett already committed and Fatts set to be here another year?
No, we need at least 4.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Is there any concern bringing in a 3rd guard with Wood and Leggett already committed and Fatts set to be here another year?
There should be no concern at all if we can lock down a player of Berry’s talent. It would be a great start with Leggett and Berry in the same backcourt. It would be a lot different than the depth at guard we have this year with Dowtin and Fatts playing almost the whole game
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not to mention, Fatts will be a senior and so will Sheppard. So we will need a replacement to those guys.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Not to mention, Fatts will be a senior and so will Sheppard. So we will need a replacement to those guys.
Right. When Coach Cox gets hurt by a situation (last year having to rely on Fr and this year no backcourt depth with Sheppard ineligible) he vows to do everything he can to avoid that in the future. I am not saying he did anything wrong or that these situations are totally avoidable. If you use 13 scholarships effectively, you are going to have a backlog for a year sometimes at certain positions.

Wood (6’5”) and Berry (6’4”) could also be the 3 in a 3G offense later in their careers (like EC and Terrell).
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Not to mention, Fatts will be a senior and so will Sheppard. So we will need a replacement to those guys.
Right. When Coach Cox gets hurt by a situation (last year having to rely on Fr and this year no backcourt depth with Sheppard ineligible) he vows to do everything he can to avoid that in the future. I am not saying he did anything wrong or that these situations are totally avoidable. If you use 13 scholarships effectively, you are going to have a backlog for a year sometimes at certain positions.

Wood (6’5”) and Berry (6’4”) could also be the 3 in a 3G offense later in their careers (like EC and Terrell).
Bingo.

And when Fatts leaves, our smallest player will be 6’3. We will be BIG.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bingo.

We will also be losing one of the best players in URI history.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah to get three guards in here for next year will help a lot.

Rather run with three sophomores at guard in 21-22 than rely on freshman to do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Might still want a more experienced transfer in there for that season if its needed.

Although, we will still have Harris, Walker, Long, Toppin, maybe Devale and Tyrese at least for that season. We will still he seeing some big lineups from us, doubt we would need Wood, Leggett, and Berry to be out there all at the same time.

Get Berry and Akheem and we are looking great for the future.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Bingo.

We will also be losing one of the best players in URI history.
Agreed.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

I’m like the idea of the 3 (if Berry comes here) but I guess what I should have asked is how would Wood/Leggett be with it. The latest trend seems to be guys bailing after not getting playing time-see Hammond. With Fatts/Sheppard and possibly these 3, there’s not many minutes to go around next year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago I’m like the idea of the 3 (if Berry comes here) but I guess what I should have asked is how would Wood/Leggett be with it. The latest trend seems to be guys bailing after not getting playing time-see Hammond. With Fatts/Sheppard and possibly these 3, there’s not many minutes to go around next year.
Leggett is good with it. He knows who Berry is but doesn’t know him personally.
Fyi, Leggett is 6’2”. So he would be the shortest of the known players for 21-22 season.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago I’m like the idea of the 3 (if Berry comes here) but I guess what I should have asked is how would Wood/Leggett be with it. The latest trend seems to be guys bailing after not getting playing time-see Hammond. With Fatts/Sheppard and possibly these 3, there’s not many minutes to go around next year.
Leggett is not worried about losing playing time to anyone in this class. Wood is also ranked much much higher then Berry. I think this comment is better geared towards Berry he knows who Rhody already has and who the committed 20s are.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
Leggett is not worried about losing playing time to anyone in this class. Wood is also ranked much much higher then Berry. I think this comment is better geared towards Berry he knows who Rhody already has and who the committed 20s are.
Rankings aren’t going to dictate who gets the playing time if/when the 3 get here
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
Rankings aren’t going to dictate who gets the playing time if/when the 3 get here

No doubt but rankings are something a kid considering a school will look at. He is coming here knowing Ish and Wood have already signed LOIs and are ranked/rated above him.

I hope he has the mentality of IDGAF i am better and will prove that. Will be better for all 3 battling for PT.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago

No doubt but rankings are something a kid considering a school will look at. He is coming here knowing Ish and Wood have already signed LOIs and are ranked/rated above him.

I hope he has the mentality of IDGAF i am better and will prove that. Will be better for all 3 battling for PT.
The coaching staff will position so he clearly understands that 1) they want him and 2) no one is promised playing time; everyone earns it. There are several current roster examples the coaches can point to.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any IG handles for the guys to follow during their visit?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago Any IG handles for the guys to follow during their visit?
IG (neither post much there)
Akeem is aodusipe
Berry is tres.berry
AAU team is bmazeelite (they post more than the players)

Twitter
Akeem doesn’t have a Twitter account
Berry is @tres_berry (he does tweet some)
AAU team is @BMazeElite
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

But there will be 55-60 mins opening up their sophomore years. Need to sell them on the Fatts model.

As the team I like having all three because no matter how good they are in HS, there is no way all three are ready freshmen year to play tons of minutes on an A10 championship level team (which is what I think we still are next year with Fatts, Tyrese, Etc.)
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Berry and Akeem are on campus.
10 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Berry and Akeem are on campus.

Saw them behind the bench smiling on TV!
0 x
SlamRam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SlamRam »

I wonder if they are interested in playing with Fatts and Tyrese ?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I venture to say they will not see many better environments on any other potential visits.
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

What a game to impress recruits.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!