NET 2019-2020 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: NET 2019-2020 Season

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Updating the ESPN BPI-powered projections, right now they have URI as a 9 seed and finishing second in the conference. This is still projecting 4 A10 bids, but Richmond and VCU are hanging by a thread as 12 seeds.
As much as I'd love to see the A10 be a 4 bid, it's starting to look like 2-3 is where we'll wind up.

Unfortunately for us, in a conference with very dwindling prospects for Q1 wins, we're becoming one of the few. The basement, after what we thought was a strong OOC, is still the damn basement and they all continue to plummet.

VCU, Richmond, and us are going to be penalized playing them. Even worse, we'll be throttled if we lose to them.

VCU and Richmond are battling us for what could be only 1 spot after Dayton. We can't let VCU get a Q1 against us on Friday. We can't fall off the mountain and drop a lame one to GMU this week either.

The #2 seed and a Dayton split are CRITICAL. Have to sweep VCU.

The only path I can see to a very good feeling heading to Brooklyn is at MINIMUM 8-3 the rest of the way, with losses @ Dayton, @Davidson, and @UMass. Preferably 9-2 with losses only @ Dayton and @ Davidson.

Like others have said - Virginia and Xavier "haven't beat anybody" - well neither have we. And we have the bad loss like everyone else. Potentially a Q4 loss. We need Bama to become a Q1. We need PC to get back to a Q2. And we need to beat Dayton once, and VCU again - while hoping VCU wins out the rest of their games.

In that scenario - even dropping another Q3 to UMass and Q2 @ Davidson - 4-4 Q1, 5-2 Q2, 6-2 Q3, 8-0 Q4 would get it done. Plus that scenario probably gets VCU in as well making the A10 a 3 bid.

No matter what - GMU = MUST. WIN.

Agree with most of this, but not sure how we get to 4 Q1 wins. We have VCU on the road as one. I think Alabama is a long shot to become Q1 as is at Davidson. Don't think VCU will be Q1 unless they beat us at the RC so that doesn't help. We'll have 2 opportunities vs. Dayton. I think the most we could realistically expect is 2 (VCU on the road and a split with Dayton).

I actually think 9-2 and a second place finish is the only way to get it done. I think it was TP that brought up the scenario of 4 swing games (VCU, Dayton, at Dayton and at Davidson). I think we need a split in those 4 games (preferably beat VCU and split Dayton) and we MUST win all other games.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI needs to finish second in the A10. If they do that at 14-4 and beat VCU again they are in. It would be great to beat Dayton once but I don’t think it’s a requirement to get a bid. Two wins against VCU and second place clearly put Rhody ahead of VCU on Selection Sunday.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Updating the ESPN BPI-powered projections, right now they have URI as a 9 seed and finishing second in the conference. This is still projecting 4 A10 bids, but Richmond and VCU are hanging by a thread as 12 seeds.
As much as I'd love to see the A10 be a 4 bid, it's starting to look like 2-3 is where we'll wind up.

Unfortunately for us, in a conference with very dwindling prospects for Q1 wins, we're becoming one of the few. The basement, after what we thought was a strong OOC, is still the damn basement and they all continue to plummet.

VCU, Richmond, and us are going to be penalized playing them. Even worse, we'll be throttled if we lose to them.

VCU and Richmond are battling us for what could be only 1 spot after Dayton. We can't let VCU get a Q1 against us on Friday. We can't fall off the mountain and drop a lame one to GMU this week either.

The only path I can see to a very good feeling heading to Brooklyn is at MINIMUM 8-3 the rest of the way, with losses @ Dayton, @Davidson, and @UMass. Preferably 9-2 with losses only @ Dayton and @ Davidson.

Like others have said - Virginia and Xavier "haven't beat anybody" - well neither have we. And we have the bad loss like everyone else. Potentially a Q4 loss. We need Bama to become a Q1. We need PC to get back to a Q2. And we need to beat Dayton once, and VCU again - while hoping VCU wins out the rest of their games.

In that scenario - even dropping another Q3 to UMass and Q2 @ Davidson - 4-4 Q1, 5-2 Q2, 6-2 Q3, 8-0 Q4 would get it done. Plus that scenario probably gets VCU in as well making the A10 a 3 bid.

Agree with most of this, but not sure how we get to 4 Q1 wins. We have VCU on the road as one. I think Alabama is a long shot to become Q1 as is at Davidson. Don't think VCU will be Q1 unless they beat us at the RC so that doesn't help. We'll have 2 opportunities vs. Dayton. I think the most we could realistically expect is 2 (VCU on the road and a split with Dayton).

I actually think 9-2 and a second place finish is the only way to get it done. I think it was TP that brought up the scenario of 4 swing games (VCU, Dayton, at Dayton and at Davidson). I think we need a split in those 4 games (preferably beat VCU and split Dayton) and we MUST win all other games.
Lost in my harebrained theory is the fact that if Bama goes up to the top 30, AND we beat VCU Friday AND they win most of the rest of their games AND get to the top 30 as well - we would now have 3 Q1 wins. Then add 1 Dayton win and voila - 4 Q1 wins.

A lot of hope and a lot of what ifs in there. But that's what a message board is for!

Either way. Beat GMU on Tuesday. That's all that matters.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think 14-4 regardless of how we get there and we are probably 80 % to dance
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Didn't see this mentioned yet - but YOUR Rhode Island Rams are now getting votes for the top 25.

6 AP votes.

Coaches poll not updated yet.

WELP. Huge week. LETS GO.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Big game Wednesday night...Alabama at LSU. Let's hope the fighting Saban's take out a little revenge on the Tigers. That would be a huge help to getting the Tide closer to Q1.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Andy Katz has URI at #29 in his top 36
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Andy Katz has URI at #29 in his top 36
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... er-36-mens
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

Lost in my harebrained theory is the fact that if Bama goes up to the top 30, AND we beat VCU Friday AND they win most of the rest of their games AND get to the top 30 as well - we would now have 3 Q1 wins. Then add 1 Dayton win and voila - 4 Q1 wins.

A lot of hope and a lot of what ifs in there. But that's what a message board is for!

Either way. Beat GMU on Tuesday. That's all that matters.
We will probably also get a shot at one in the conference tourney, and don’t sleep on Davidson. I see them going on a little run like we did at the end of last year and getting into Q1 range for the away game.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody now #2 in first four out (behind Bama). In 18 brackets on Bracket matrix

http://bracketmatrix.com/
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago

At Umass. This team cant lose that game. I think losing both games to Dayton is more realistic
I agree. UMass is the boogeyman under my bed tho.
Just need to be there in person to make sure it doesn't happen...there should be a bus...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They showed Lunardi bracketelogy on the Kansas game tonight he had 12 from Big 10 and no more than 5 from any other conference
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago They showed Lunardi bracketelogy on the Kansas game tonight he had 12 from Big 10 and no more than 5 from any other conference
This is exactly what the P5 conferences want with the move to 20 league games.

There should be a rule that no more than 50% of a conference can qualify for the dance. 12 teams from one conference is ridiculous.

Or at least a .500 or better conference record.

Just wait, there will be P5 teams going 8-12 or 9-11 and dancing.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Absolutely, cannot stand the Syracuse’s of the NCAA world.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We are second out on bracket matrix :)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Absolutely, cannot stand the Syracuse’s of the NCAA world.
easy there...easy....

It is kinda cool though that everyone knows what you mean. As in "pulling a Syracuse".... classic.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

KenPom hasn’t updated for our game yet but I’d expect we jump up to 53. Don’t think we’ll have moved the needle enough to catch Yale but will be in position to move into the top-50 with a win Friday.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KenPom up from 55 to 52.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I was wrong. Jumped over Yale. Went up more than a half a point in AdjEM.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

KenPom now has Rhody favored in all of their remaining games except the two Dayton ones. But the VCU game and the Davidson game are basically coin flips.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago KenPom now has Rhody favored in all of their remaining games except the two Dayton ones. But the VCU game and the Davidson game are basically coin flips.
Davidson was bound to bounce back with how talented Grady and JAG are.

Two of the top players in the league, our road game is gonna be a battle.

(Hopefully Fatts hits a game winning pull-up 3 at the buzzer from that stupid volleyball line.)
3 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NET just updated. We are up to #45!
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

VCU jumped 6 spots with their win to #33.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago VCU jumped 6 spots with their win to #33.
Lose to us but beat Dayton and take care of business the rest of the way? Could be another Q1 win if we can pull off a win on Friday.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Lose to us but beat Dayton and take care of business the rest of the way? Could be another Q1 win if we can pull off a win on Friday.
This might be asking a lot, but it would be nice if us, VCU, and Dayton could all lock up NCAA bids before the conference tourney,

Of course Dayton is 99.99% there already,
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
This might be asking a lot, but it would be nice if us, VCU, and Dayton could all lock up NCAA bids before the conference tourney,

Of course Dayton is 99.99% there already,
If we beat VCU, and both URI and VCU beat Dayton (once) AND take care of business (no Q3/Q4 losses) - thats a very likely scenario with us having at least 3 Q1 wins.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

URI net report 01 28.png
Providence still creeping up may become Q2 win after all.

Bama still in range to become a Q1 win, they have 5 Q1 games left to play, if they just defend their home court in those games (2-3), go 3-1 in there Q2 games and take care of business with their remaining 3 Q3/Q4 games, they probably become a Q1 win for us.

We need the Bonnies to rattle off a few wins in a row to re-solidify the Q2 win, they are dangerously close to the cusp of Q2/Q3

put this together with Blue Man's Dayton, VCU, URI's split scenario and we could end up looking at

4-4 Q1
5-1 Q2
7-1 Q3
8-0 Q4
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The Dayton resume is actually much weaker than you'd think. That said, their ability to blow out teams, win the games they're supposed to win, and playing top 25 teams close away/neutral keeps their NET ranking near the top of the country.

They have no wins over teams guaranteed to make NCAA tournament (St. Mary's + home against VCU are top two wins) - St. Mary's is in a pretty good spot, but has recent losses to Winthrop, Santa Clara, and Pacific. I'd argue that our win @ VCU trumps any win on their schedule to-date.

I'm not saying they're not an incredibly talented team that has final four potential, because they are, but wins against Georgia and Virginia Tech don't move the needle that much. It will be really interesting to see how much weight the committee puts on NET. Would it be possible a top 5 NET gets dropped to a 4 seed?
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago URI net report 01 28.png

Bama still in range to become a Q1 win, they have 5 Q1 games left to play, if they just defend their home court in those games (2-3), go 3-1 in there Q2 games and take care of business with their remaining 3 Q3/Q4 games, they probably become a Q1 win for us.

We need the Bonnies to rattle off a few wins in a row to re-solidify the Q2 win, they are dangerously close to the cusp of Q2/Q3

put this together with Blue Man's Dayton, VCU, URI's split scenario and we could end up looking at

4-4 Q1
5-1 Q2
7-1 Q3
8-0 Q4
The good news is Osun has a concussion, not some long-term knee/back/ankle issue. I think they're a solid team without Osun and will be VERY dangerous when he's back.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

BTW,
does anyone know what KPI is?

if you look at the top of the team NET sheet posted above it has a list of metrics/ratings. NET, KPI, SOR, KemPom, BPI and Sagrins.
What the heck is KPI?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Finish in 2nd in A10 and we are in. A sweep vs VCU will put us in pole position for that, regardless of how we fare against Dayton.

Highly probable PC will become a Q2 win given the strong NET numbers for the BE and they should pick up the necessary wins to get there. Bama becoming Q1 would be huge.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KPI stands for Key Performance Indicator in business, maybe the same here?
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago URI net report 01 28.png

4-4 Q1
5-1 Q2
7-1 Q3
8-0 Q4
The good news is Osun has a concussion, not some long-term knee/back/ankle issue. I think they're a solid team without Osun and will be VERY dangerous when he's back.
He will reportedly be back this weekend.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Still so many games left. How many can we afford to lose?
Capture.JPG
0 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Still so many games left. How many can we afford to lose?

Capture.JPG
Can we all celebrate the fact we're done with standard definition Stadium network for the year?
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

ugh!
6 of our remaining games are on CBSSN and I have no way of watching those. :x
I might have to bite the bullet and buy a month of live TV from some service.
So no, lol, S104. I wish all of our games were on Stadium!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago BTW,
does anyone know what KPI is?

if you look at the top of the team NET sheet posted above it has a list of metrics/ratings. NET, KPI, SOR, KemPom, BPI and Sagrins.
What the heck is KPI?
Kevin Pauga. Another KP/Sagarin type of site.

Website looks like it was made with geocities...
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Can we all celebrate the fact we're done with standard definition Stadium network for the year?
Huh? Stadium is crisp HD with professional production and commentary.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Section104
Art Stephenson

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Can we all celebrate the fact we're done with standard definition Stadium network for the year?
Huh? Stadium is crisp HD with professional production and commentary.
Maybe this is an issue for me only? I have Xfinity in Nashville and "Stadium HD" looks like I'm watching a replay of our 1998 NCAA tournament on Youtube even though it's through the cable package. I know some Dayton fans had the same issues. I agree with the commentary.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm just thrilled most of our games are televised. Wasn't so long ago we were hardly on. We've got a real program now.
5 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Agreed Pete, but I think some of that is due to the rapidly changing streaming industry and NCAA replay regulations.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree be nice if us Dayton and VCU have basically locked up bids going into Brooklyn that’s a possible scenario
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago The Dayton resume is actually much weaker than you'd think. That said, their ability to blow out teams, win the games they're supposed to win, and playing top 25 teams close away/neutral keeps their NET ranking near the top of the country.

They have no wins over teams guaranteed to make NCAA tournament (St. Mary's + home against VCU are top two wins) - St. Mary's is in a pretty good spot, but has recent losses to Winthrop, Santa Clara, and Pacific. I'd argue that our win @ VCU trumps any win on their schedule to-date.

I'm not saying they're not an incredibly talented team that has final four potential, because they are, but wins against Georgia and Virginia Tech don't move the needle that much. It will be really interesting to see how much weight the committee puts on NET. Would it be possible a top 5 NET gets dropped to a 4 seed?
It’s shows how important blowing teams out is. That’s the biggest adjustment I’ve seen Cox make since LaSalle. You can see him give the rolling hands signal to run the offense even when we have a comfortable lead late in the game (which is what we should be doing anyways regardless of efficiency numbers). Very few possessions of hold the ball until 10 seconds left on the shot clock.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Still so many games left. How many can we afford to lose?

Capture.JPG
It's not about how many - it's about to who.

There are 5 games we absolutely CANNOT lose. Anything in Q3/Q4. We already have 1 loss in that bracket and without a high amount of Q1 wins to back it up, that would end our at-large chances. IF we lose a Q3/Q4, we're looking at a must win VCU and 1 if not both Dayton games to balance out a resume with multiple bad losses.

Win out the rest of our home games is a must, and the Q3/Q4 road games. IF we do that - you can survive a loss at Davidson and at Dayton.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Capture.JPG
It's not about how many - it's about to who.

There are 5 games we absolutely CANNOT lose. Anything in Q3/Q4. We already have 1 loss in that bracket and without a high amount of Q1 wins to back it up, that would end our at-large chances. IF we lose a Q3/Q4, we're looking at a must win VCU and 1 if not both Dayton games to balance out a resume with multiple bad losses.

Win out the rest of our home games is a must, and the Q3/Q4 road games. IF we do that - you can survive a loss at Davidson and at Dayton.
I still think Davidson sucks and we can win that game on the road. They have the athleticism of a MAC team and one of our strengths is locking down opposing guards (their strength). I'm not as confident with the two Dayton games.

We can afford a slip up if we knock off Dayton. I prefer a loss to a UMass on the road and Dayton win to a UMass win and Dayton loss.
1 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Throwing this scenario out here from realtimerpi (RPI - i know i know out dated) they predict our remaining losses as @ Dayton by 17, vs. Dayton by 1, and @ Davidson by 3

My opinion if this holds true is we are in as an at-large bid at 22-8 but it will be a dayton play in game pending A10 tournament outcome. if we were to make it to the tourney finals i would say we make it out of the play in games and in to the "1st round"

** Bracket matrix just updated and we are the first team out (currently in 40 brackets) jumping 1 spot over Alabama**
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KenPom up to 47 from 50. The loss didn’t hurt VCU much, as they slide from 43 to 45.
0 x