1/28 | George Mason | 7:00PM (YurView/Stadium)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 1/28 | George Mason | 7:00PM (YurView/Stadium)

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I'm telling you, it won't matter.

This team, the URI team, isn't going to all of a sudden become something they aren't. I know people, desperately, want them to all of a sudden, flip a switch, and decimate a lower ranked team, but it's not going to happen. And you can crunch the numbers all you want, but it's not based on numbers.

What started this 6 game win streak? Do you remember?

It was sitting Fatts to start the game. And very few people caught the significance of that. It still amazes me that so few people on here realize what was going on there.

Remember when someone said during LaSalle, that Cox, like Skinner, believes the second half "is the half that matters"? That's what is going on here. This team plays best, when it's behind. They came out like gang busters against Maryland, only to watch Maryland take the second half and pass them in the high speed lane.

Cox wants to be the team doing the passing, not vice versa.

He actually handicapped himself against LaSalle, keeping CL out the last 10 minutes of the first half, and allowed them to go ahead.

He did the same thing last game, as soon as Fatts got in foul trouble, he yanked him, for nearly the entire 10 mins before the half.

Watch for the same thing this game. Either CL, Fatts, Jeff, or the first starter to get into foul trouble, he'll pull for the duration of the half, let the team play handicapped for the rest of the half. It's kind of like drafting in NASCAR.

That's how this game will go. That is the game plan.

The game plan is: use the first half to size up your opponent. Scout them, check their tendencies, push them, pull them, find their pressure points, and then make a bunch of adjustments at half time and come out of the locker room like a completely different team.

I really think that was the major adjustment, when we lost against Brown and Richmond, and it was do something drastic, or risk watching the season go down the crapper.

Yup.

Cardiac kids baby - hell of a ride the rest of the way!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I just feel confident that we are going to bring it.

We can certainly lose.

Also, Fatts is going to want to go out there and honor Kobe.... said on instagram Kobe was his hero growing up.
Both Philly Kids.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This team, the URI team, isn't going to all of a sudden become something they aren't. I know people, desperately, want them to all of a sudden, flip a switch, and decimate a lower ranked team, but it's not going to happen. And you can crunch the numbers all you want, but it's not based on numbers.

It was sitting Fatts to start the game. And very few people caught the significance of that. It still amazes me that so few people on here realize what was going on there.

Remember when someone said during LaSalle, that Cox, like Skinner, believes the second half "is the half that matters"? That's what is going on here. This team plays best, when it's behind. They came out like gang busters against Maryland, only to watch Maryland take the second half and pass them in the high speed lane.

He actually handicapped himself against LaSalle, keeping CL out the last 10 minutes of the first half, and allowed them to go ahead.

He did the same thing last game, as soon as Fatts got in foul trouble, he yanked him, for nearly the entire 10 mins before the half.

Watch for the same thing this game. Either CL, Fatts, Jeff, or the first starter to get into foul trouble, he'll pull for the duration of the half, let the team play handicapped for the rest of the half. It's kind of like drafting in NASCAR.

The game plan is: use the first half to size up your opponent. Scout them, check their tendencies, push them, pull them, find their pressure points, and then make a bunch of adjustments at half time and come out of the locker room like a completely different team.

I really think that was the major adjustment, when we lost against Brown and Richmond, and it was do something drastic, or risk watching the season go down the crapper.
Isn't that kind of playing with fire though? It's great to be a second half team and all, but it almost sounds like they are purposely sucking in the first half by design (like a cat & mouse game). Eventually it may catch up with them.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We were fortunate at Bonnies to avoid losing guys to fouls in the 2nd half, since so many were called [right or wrong] in the 1st half.

Most of the team had 2 fouls at the half.

That's playing with fire for sure.

An issue since we're likely to be playing with a 7 man rotation due to how long JH will be out or if he plays, how limited he'll be.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea shouldn't we see an update on Harris?
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know that I’m sold on a strategy that entails actively sandbagging the first half. I’m also not sure that is actually the strategy. It’s a positive that this team has showed resolve and has been a “second half team.” But I think if you asked the players and coaches, they wouldn’t exactly mind blowing somebody’s doors off for the full 40 minutes and not having to carry the constant stress of fighting off the ropes every second half. That’s the kind of thing that can wear you down over time. It takes a toll playing that many high leverage innings, to steal a term - both mentally and physically. We could use a couple laughers in the mix down the stretch here.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Isn't that kind of playing with fire though? It's great to be a second half team and all, but it almost sounds like they are purposely sucking in the first half by design (like a cat & mouse game). Eventually it may catch up with them.
It's more that Coach is making the adjustments at half. Fatts said Saturday at half Cox showed them a way to attack the Bonnies zone better and that's exactly what he did. Coach has been a little Belichickian at halftime.
3 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

We will put them away early.

The important thing is to get out of there healthy.

Win Friday and they might start talking top 25.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Cox is not throwing the first half of games as some sort of motivational tactic or master strategy. Probably about 95% of coaches in the country take out players with 2 fouls in the first half, are they all using this genius "handicap yourself so you can make a comeback" strategy?
9 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

What Maryland did to us, Cox is now doing to every team on our schedule. It's not a coincidence.

When we played VCU, that was the one game we went hard for 40 mins. And the announcers with about 10 minutes left in the second half were remarking about how the URI defense was so intense, there is no way they are going to be able to keep that up through the rest of the game, they are going to get gassed playing like that.

They DID manage to play like that for almost the entire game, but THAT is what will kill you as a team over a season, besides injuries. You cannot keep that up game after game.

Cox realizes that this team is capable of playing like that, bezserker, for one half per game. There is no sense having a first half lead if you are just going to give it up in the second half, and this team has show time and again that they have a hard time holding on to a large lead.

This is a second half team.

As far as George Mason goes, if we were George Mason, and they were us, we had their record, and they had ours, and they were coming to our building, alone the 2nd place team in the A-10, what would we do??

We would be like "we have nothing to lose! Go out there and kick their ass! Send that team from that tiny New England state back home with a big ole L, courtesy of US!"

That's how they are going to approach this game: with reckless abandon. This is their Superbowl, we wear a big bullseye on our chest from here on out, in every game except Dayton.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Cox is not throwing the first half of games as some sort of motivational tactic or master strategy. Probably about 95% of coaches in the country take out players with 2 fouls in the first half, are they all using this genius "handicap yourself so you can make a comeback" strategy?
I didn't read this take as an "intentional rope-a-dope" type thing that Cox is doing. That is most definitely not the case.

I read it as let your players be available for as many minutes as possible in the second half, while knowing you'll make adjustments at halftime. aka don't let them take an unnecessary 3rd foul when refs tend to loosen the whistles in the 2nd. If RF3K thinks we're intentionally throwing the first half because it helps win the game, I wholeheartedly disagree.

I just think Cox is incredibly cool under pressure and will just stay his course and not worry about winning the first half if it jeopardizes his overall game plan.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The 17 point drubbing by George Mason at the Ryan Center last year should be motivation enough for URI:
Screenshot_2020-01-27 George Mason vs Rhode Island - Box Score - 1 13 2019.png
A plus for Rhody is that three of the four GMU players that scored double figures LY will not be suiting up tomorrow.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I don't think he is intentionally throwing the game. When Bonny threatened to pull away at the end of the first half, he sent Fatts back in.

I just think, unless you are actually playing a "Jerry D" type team that has completely given up, the object isn't to blow the other team away in the first 20 mins, just merely keep the game in striking distance.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Also, that was the last time he unleashed the hounds for 40 mins: at VCU.

Gotta save that move for a few choice teams on the schedule, in no particular order:

Dayton
St. Louis
VCU
Davidson

URI was smoking Maryland in the first half of that game. But the Maryland coach, nor team, ever looked like they were shocked or panicked by it. They just came out like business as usual after the half and took over. I think that is the model here. I'll stop now.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I don't think he is intentionally throwing the game. When Bonny threatened to pull away at the end of the first half, he sent Fatts back in.

I just think, unless you are actually playing a "Jerry D" type team that has completely given up, the object isn't to blow the other team away in the first 20 mins, just merely keep the game in striking distance.
Fair enough if thats not what you meant. I guess the way it was worded was making it sound that way to me. This part in particular.

This to me makes it sound like Cox is purposely "handicapping himself" and "allowed them to go ahead" in the first half of games by sitting players so we will fall behind.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We havent really been sleepwalking in the first half.

We just execute better in the second, which is what most teams tend to do.

St Bonaventure had a ton of energy, belief in themselves and shot the lights out in the first half. We just didnt know how to deal with their ball screens. Figured it out at halftime and moved the ball around more.

I take solace in the fact that everyone is bought in on the team and if we find ourselves in a close one down the stretch, I like our chances to kick it up to a level GMU cant ascend to.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Their fans via their forum are predicting a double digit loss for GM. I hate that, more pressure on the Rams.
3 x
GO RAMS
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The 17 point drubbing by George Mason at the Ryan Center last year should be motivation enough for URI:

A plus for Rhody is that three of the four GMU players that scored double figures LY will not be suiting up tomorrow.
I know our depth is in the back of everyone’s minds given that we play with 8 guys. That being said, the skill level of our bench is much better this year than last. Nothing against last years subs but having Walker, Toppin and Long come off the bench and not notice a drop in production has been one of the keys to this years team. Thanks for adding last years box RF1.
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Like others have said, I don't think the uptick in 2nd half play is a planned or premeditated thing. Again these are kids, they can't be programmed, their play will ebb and flow. I don't think we are going out there saying "hey let's go at about 80% this half, keep within striking distance and then in the 2nd half we will put the pedal down and cruise to a win."

What I think you are seeing are the results of an experienced and battle tested team. And I think the fruits of that are showing up more in the 2nd half and in crunch time. We have 2 guards who have played in high leverage situations, many of them. They aren't going to get shook, and a single digit deficit is not causing them to lose their cool or focus. They are used to executing under pressure and it is showing. You are seeing a starting lineup that has now played like 50+ games together at this point...not sure any other A10 teams that can say that. We have an old team, with experience at key positions, and in the last 10 minutes of a game the benefits of that shine brightest.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Anyone heard anything about Harris?

Would much rather he be rested and fresh for HAVOC on Friday. Hopefully we won't need his body tomorrow night.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Their fans via their forum are predicting a double digit loss for GM. I hate that, more pressure on the Rams.
They know their team better than we do!
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I don't know the statistics but I believe we shoot FT's better in the 2nd half also. Fatts is money down the stretch and even Langevine, who usually misses his first 3-4 in the game is better in the 2nd half (at least by memory I think so).
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

It is likely that our eight man rotation with no safety net drives the strategy.
You can't wear your team down in the first half.
If you play all out, lock-down D in the first half you may not have legs in the second.
You also want to get out of the first half with limited foul trouble.

Once you get to the second half, release the hounds.
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I like the take. This is what I was getting at in the SB thread, but didn't put nearly the color or explanation around it like you did here. Well put.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

About the Langevine thing: I've seen his two-fouls-in-one-minute act enough times to know that in the first half, you get him the hell out of the game with two fouls. Period. Hesitate and he could have three before you know it.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Anyone heard anything about Harris?

Would much rather he be rested and fresh for HAVOC on Friday. Hopefully we won't need his body tomorrow night.

I think we gotta rest him.

He cant possibly be 100% just three days after going out immediately saturday.

Heal him for havoc!
3 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Anyone heard anything about Harris?

I think we gotta rest him.

He cant possibly be 100% just three days after going out immediately saturday.

Heal him for havoc!
Walker time!! Or maybe Toppin starts?

This doesn't help with the lack of depth, however Fatts and Jeff ar good for 37-40 mins. So I'm assuming extended minutes for both frosh

Walker with 25+ mins
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The 17 point drubbing by George Mason at the Ryan Center last year should be motivation enough for URI:

How do you come up with three out of four not suiting up? Livingston graduated and Kier is hurt but both Greene and Miller will be playing tomorrow night. Two out of four not suiting up I believe.

Interesting nugget about Miller. He was held out all last year by George Mason and only played in the Rhody game because of injuries. Rhody was his first game and he killed us. Now he is one of the better sophomores in the league but he was going to be redshirted last year. Hoping for the same result for Johnson.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obviously I cannot say for certain that Jermaine didn’t practice today, but I could not see him in the series of pics the team account put on IG today. Honestly, I’m not among the fans looking past this game but I’d rather have 75% Jermaine Friday night than 50% Jermaine Tuesday and Friday. If he needs some time, Walker and Toppin are among the guys currently on the roster with the freshest legs and best positioned to shoulder more of the load for one game.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Obviously I cannot say for certain that Jermaine didn’t practice today, but I could not see him in the series of pics the team account put on IG today. Honestly, I’m not among the fans looking past this game but I’d rather have 75% Jermaine Friday night than 50% Jermaine Tuesday and Friday. If he needs some time, Walker and Toppin are among the guys currently on the roster with the freshest legs and best positioned to shoulder more of the load for one game.
honestly if we need Jermaine tomorrow night, we've got big enough problems. This team should be able to beat GMU on the road without him.

We need all hands on deck for Friday night. HAVOC means running, means Cyril, Walker, and Toppin are going to be running. Even 10-15 of Jermaine can help keep everyone fresh.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Mostly because you're so adamant it won't happen...I'm going Rhody, wire to wire, by at least 25. ;) If you follow the ESPN Gamecast, you'll see the Rhody scoreline gaining bigger and bigger distance over GMU, and probability of winning never below 80% once we're 6 minutes into the game.

Start to finish - Blow. Out City. Cheers!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody got their asses handed to them last year at home by GMU. This team will remember that and continue on their revenge tour. If they take this game lightly they will lose.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We can lose to any Top 300 teams if we don't show up ready to play. So, any game in which we are favored is a trap game. That is why you need to have a one game at a time mentality and never overlook any opponent. That said, do we have to keep wring about each one of these games as being a trap game as of we are saying something insightful?
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago We can lose to any Top 300 teams if we don't show up ready to play. So, any game in which we are favored is a trap game. That is why you need to have a one game at a time mentality and never overlook any opponent. That said, do we have to keep wring about each one of these games as being a trap game as of we are saying something insightful?
This is one of the most efficient cliche' dumps I've ever seen. Worked in a whole bunch there, well done.
It would be much more 'insightful' and interesting to get ahead of ourselves and talk about how we could win 2, maybe 3 games at a time...
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

One of the best of all times, transcendent of all sports, and life in general. Play GM like it's your life on the line tomorrow.

1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

George Mason preview.
7 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Game also on Cox:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

College basketball message board world is sure a wacky and wild place.

Where grown men on their computers convince themselves a division one b-ball team and coach are deliberately sucking in the first half of games.

😂

How about just giving the coach credit for halftime adjustments? That’s a much more realistic scenario.
6 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

15 Year Lurker wrote: 4 years ago College basketball message board world is sure a wacky and wild place.

Where grown men on their computers convince themselves a division one b-ball team and coach are deliberately sucking in the first half of games.

😂

How about just giving the coach credit for halftime adjustments? That’s a much more realistic scenario.
Something else that sticks out to me is that coach Cox has mentioned more than once that some of our opponents [Duquesne and La Salle come to mind] have had a full week to prepare for us, while we've only had two days to prepare [btw, this wasn't excuse making]. You would have to think that plays a role in the slow starts in the first half - teams are able to game plan and throw in new wrinkles that they haven't put on tape yet. Then during halftime, Cox and his staff, and players are able to make the necessary adjustments.
2 x
Common sense is not common.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Won’t be an issue this week. VCU comes in on Friday after playing their cross-town rival tonight, who they are currently tied with in the standings and are competing with for bubble position.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rooting for VCU tonight.

No explanations needed.

However 9 points is a lot...if I were to bet this one it would be on Richmond to cover.

Should be close.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Rooting for VCU tonight.

No explanations needed.

However 9 points is a lot...if I were to bet this one it would be on Richmond to cover.

Should be close.
Richmond isn’t going to move from a Q2 loss. VCU has a chance to be a 2nd q1 win. Don’t need VCU with any extra motivation coming off a rivalry loss on Friday.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

All the talk about Q1 wins, NET rankings, bubble teams, etc is lots of fun and fodder for message boards, but the truth is that kind of speculation only has immediate relevancy on Sunday, March 15, at 6 PM. Between now and then, there are a 11 games left in the regular season, every one critical, every one a chance to pop the bubble.The landscape is already strewn with teams whose bubbles have gone bye, bye. I remain skeptical about this team on NCAAT worthiness mainly because of its inconsistent performance and I realize that my perception of the Rams is greatly influenced - right or wrong - by the down games that I have physically been present at - Brown and Saint Joseph's. I hope we are beyond that. In the meantime GO RHODY!
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Game also on Cox:

It looks like Cox Cable has jumped on the bandwagon.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I took a peek at their message board, and I only have one gripe - the poster who said he was waiting to see Obi Toppin.

Dude you might want to watch what Fatts Russell does tonight.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This board focuses too much on the negative. Our team has a group of players with a ton of accomplishments already. We have the best scorer, rebounder and point guard uri has had in at least 10 years.

Then throw in the young guys who have so much length athleticism and talent. It happens to be a really good team.

I think they jump all over gm. URI is hitting its stride.

Tanking first half???? That is a pretty wild take.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago All the talk about Q1 wins, NET rankings, bubble teams, etc is lots of fun and fodder for message boards, but the truth is that kind of speculation only has immediate relevancy on Sunday, March 15, at 6 PM. Between now and then, there are a 11 games left in the regular season, every one critical, every one a chance to pop the bubble.The landscape is already strewn with teams whose bubbles have gone bye, bye. I remain skeptical about this team on NCAAT worthiness mainly because of its inconsistent performance and I realize that my perception of the Rams is greatly influenced - right or wrong - by the down games that I have physically been present at - Brown and Saint Joseph's. I hope we are beyond that. In the meantime GO RHODY!

Should've been at the Alabama, MTSU and VCU games like I was!
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

No explanations needed.

Should be close.
Yeah I’m rooting for VCU but I think Richmond is the better team.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Do you have to be a COX subscriber to watch Yurview?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago

No explanations needed.

Should be close.
Yeah I’m rooting for VCU but I think Richmond is the better team.

I think VCU is going to feed off that home crowd and win a big game Richmond isn't ready for as a program. VCU also has Crowfield back and Richmond of course, without Francis.
0 x