Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Maybe EZ Buckets can explain why the Cue Live app is not working for so many people!!
I’ll touch on this quickly - the short answer is no one knows. I’m well aware that many are having issues connecting. The bottom line is the technology that triggers the sync is built into the audio of the song playing within the video. It has nothing to do with any cell or internet signal. The staff has been actively working with Cue to identify what’s going on and trying to resolve it. I’ve seen it work tremendously at other venues and really hope we can still get it working correctly sooner than later. Please try to be patient.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There are fewer and fewer cue lights each game
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

replace the "E" with a "T"
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think it would be best to simply drop the Cue.
Start over again next year once the issue is identified.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

why do we continue to have the black shower curtain ?

for what ?

it looks ridiculous and takes $ away from seats and we are the only ones that seem to not be able to find a row of seats for the press cas, you know.. we need some elbow room for the press area

come on

cracker jack mickey mouse black shower curtain needs to be packaged in with the "cue" and find its way into the dumpster

THINK BIG, DO WE
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Is there a licensing fee for Cue Live?
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Is there a licensing fee for Cue Live?
I doubt it. On my phone, while the light was flashing, a whole bunch of ads were flashing on the screen. I presume that’s how it’s monetized.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago why do we continue to have the black shower curtain ?

for what ?

it looks ridiculous and takes $ away from seats and we are the only ones that seem to not be able to find a row of seats for the press cas, you know.. we need some elbow room for the press area

come on

cracker jack mickey mouse black shower curtain needs to be packaged in with the "cue" and find its way into the dumpster

THINK BIG, DO WE

A black shower curtain sounds like a mold problem! 😂

I am trying to remember if there were seats there the first few years of the RC? It would be great to have seats there, but where would we send the press people? I agree they do appear to be very spread out. Reminds me of taking tests in high school where they did one person every other seat so no one would copy.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The worst part of the misinformation regarding students turned away bullshit is all you had to do was look up in the student 300s area and continue to see students coming in while the game was going on. They started to fill the seats that didn’t have the giveaway white tshirt.
I am assuming Rhody15 heard the no more allowed in before the game even started and wasn’t at the entrance 8 minutes into the first half when students were still taking their seats.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Maybe EZ Buckets can explain why the Cue Live app is not working for so many people!!
I’ll touch on this quickly - the short answer is no one knows. I’m well aware that many are having issues connecting. The bottom line is the technology that triggers the sync is built into the audio of the song playing within the video. It has nothing to do with any cell or internet signal. The staff has been actively working with Cue to identify what’s going on and trying to resolve it. I’ve seen it work tremendously at other venues and really hope we can still get it working correctly sooner than later. Please try to be patient.
It actually worked for me for the first time last night! Me and 12 other people in the Ryan Center.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago The worst part of the misinformation regarding students turned away bullshit is all you had to do was look up in the student 300s area and continue to see students coming in while the game was going on. They started to fill the seats that didn’t have the giveaway white tshirt.
I am assuming Rhody15 heard the no more allowed in before the game even started and wasn’t at the entrance 8 minutes into the first half when students were still taking their seats.
Agreed. Saw them all filing in! Certainly noticeable when most if not all seats with the white T’s on them were accounted for.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago why do we continue to have the black shower curtain ?

for what ?

come on

THINK BIG, DO WE

I am trying to remember if there were seats there the first few years of the RC? It would be great to have seats there, but where would we send the press people? I agree they do appear to be very spread out. Reminds me of taking tests in high school where they did one person every other seat so no one would copy.

They always had the stupid black shower curtains

It is so stupid it’s beyond belief

Look around

No one else has this

Am I missing something ?

Is our press area sooo much more than any P5 school

It’s a Joke and I will continue to call them out on it

Cracker Jack
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago

for what ?

come on

THINK BIG, DO WE

They always had the stupid black shower curtains

It is so stupid it’s beyond belief

Look around

No one else has this

Am I missing something ?

Is our press area sooo much more than any P5 school

It’s a Joke and I will continue to call them out on it

Cracker Jack
I’d say there could be maybe 3-4 extra rows without the shower curtain (😂). Potentially adding what... maybe 45-60 seats? That could easily bring in another ~$50k per year based on gross ticket sales.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PROS
more $
better home court advantage
less of the cracker jack black shower curtain

CONS
the poor press will actually need to sit more on the baselines like most (if not all) other schools do
the blue shower curtain will actually cost more now since we aren't buying the black along w/ it

i do have an extra 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond tho that I can pass along to URI tho to help ease the cost
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......looking often at that press row(s) section from 105; the main local media, campus radio, maybe some scouts etc take up seats way less than full, DiSano, Koch etc sit there court side......to me it seems other meet and greet VIP of Athletics, stop by visitors spent time there......given all this I doubt they will eliminate or reduce this section......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I watch older games and see how far the Ryan had come. New digital ribbon screen, blue padding to hide the exposed concrete walls, new floor ect. That black curtain area is one of the final remnants of the "old ryan" and should be removed. Especially if that areas use has changed.
1 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i wrote this email to Thorr back on 3/24/16 and nothing has changed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for bringing pride back to Rhody Hoops and retaining Dan Hurley.

Tough year, but I feel we are trending up and building something special.

I am on the message board for URI hoops we’ve been having a discussion about some enhancements to the program

I will keep these short, but am happy to expand if needed.

URI Unique Lettering and Number Font and Unique – Ala Miami Hurricanes, UConn, Kansas – this will give our school an identity across all unfirms/sports. Can also lead to consistency in other apparel for students/alumni, etc. Perhaps hire a firm to capitalize on a great look. So, when we change uniforms every few years, at least the font will remain consistent.

Rhody Pub: perhaps turn this into a legit pub w/ walls and have much better service. Sort of like a mini Mews Tavern kind of place w/ Rhody stuff on the walls, etc. Perhaps even extend this to under the scoreboard where it is separated from the walkthrough and this would be a unique vantage point to see the courts.

The press area.. I actually wrote to you about this a couple years ago. If this area is eliminated and put on the sidelines (like most colleges); we could sell more seats and be a louder arena. Sure you give up the single row court seats, but gain a lot more seats in the press area

Thanks for listening,
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

got this response from Ryan Majercik

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thorr shared with me your email regarding some miscellaneous basketball enhancements. My responses are below in red.

We do have an official font that we are working to use more consistently across the board (uniforms, apparel, advertisements, etc.). The primary font is called "American Captain." You may notice a couple of slight variations, but that is the base font.

Rhody Pub ultimately falls under the oversight of The Ryan Center. I will share this feedback with the venue as we discuss plans and the budget for any potential changes for next year.

Likewise, The Ryan Center would need to approve any seating additions/changes as that could impact the many other events that take place inside the arena.

We will be discussing all elements of our gameday atmosphere and fan experience over the next several months. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so that we can address the pros and cons of each. Please do not hesitate to pass along any additional feedback you may have related to these topics or others.

Thanks for your support and Go Rhody!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

to me that is a lame "pass the buck" response

i went back and responded and he never emailed back

CRACKER JACK

THINK BIG, I DO

THINK BIG DO WE
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

if anyone else has a good contact, I will gladly give them a call

under my plan, the RHODY PUB would be rocking, the beers would be flowing..

under their plans, better bring some soap and shampoo for the shower curtains

LAME
LAME
LAME
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wonder if the area where the press sits is set up that way because that's where trailers load in and load out for concerts and other events
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

perhaps - but again, no one else seems to have this issue throughout the country
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

As much as I complain about WiFi, we are very fortunate as fans to not have these problems. The Dump.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Place stinks.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Just remember we are so lucky to have a home like the Ryan Center. The wifi issues should be addressed but that isn't ruining my experience while the game is going on at all.
For "Cue Live" I really want to see it work like in this video
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Just remember we are so lucky to have a home like the Ryan Center. The wifi issues should be addressed but that isn't ruining my experience while the game is going on at all.
It’s not about the game experience being “ruined” with inadequate WiFi. A game has never been ruined for me. It’s simply the principle of how you can’t even use your phone during the game. I have had business calls come in that I can’t respond to as a result. Time is money. Also. There are in-game contests no one can hardly participate in since you can’t Tweet from your seat.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Just remember we are so lucky to have a home like the Ryan Center. The wifi issues should be addressed but that isn't ruining my experience while the game is going on at all.
It’s not about the game experience being “ruined” with inadequate WiFi. A game has never been ruined for me. It’s simply the principle of how you can’t even use your phone during the game. I have had business calls come in that I can’t respond to as a result. Time is money. Also. There are in-game contests no one can hardly participate in since you can’t Tweet from your seat.
Maybe if you go up into the big blue cubicle the pub...you could tweet from there?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Maybe if you go up into the big blue cubicle the pub...you could tweet from there?
Funny you say that I’ve been able to respond to people from there. 😂
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

lol trust me I hate how I can't even respond to a text my dad or sister sends because there is horrible t-mobile service + wifi connection.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
lol trust me I hate how I can't even respond to a text my dad or sister sends because there is horrible t-mobile service + wifi connection.
I really only want to Snapchat the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem.
1 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Guess i'm lucky, we have Tmobile and in the handful of games I've attended I haven't had any issues with cell service. I'll have to try wifi for the heck of it next time
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

I really only want to Snapchat the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem.
I like when they tell fans to tweet their "replay of the game". LOL
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 4 years ago Guess i'm lucky, we have Tmobile and in the handful of games I've attended I haven't had any issues with cell service. I'll have to try wifi for the heck of it next time
Ditto...the last game I went to was great until about midway through the 2nd half, then it started to drag.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

It might depend on your seats. I'm almost in the last row in the 300 section and my wi-fi connection is decent. Better than it used to be in the 200 sections.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

I haven’t had any WiFi issues all season. I use the “Ryan center” network not the “uri guest” network.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago I haven’t had any WiFi issues all season. I use the “Ryan center” network not the “uri guest” network.
That one has never worked for me
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Taking a stab at the WiFi issues - I would bet they did the bare minimum on WAPs (wireless access points), based on probably 2012 specs...just guessing how often they actually update their wireless footprint.

Businesses should address their IT infrastructure every 3 years. Most do it 3-5. A lot do it 6-7. And some, like what seems to be the case here, opt for "if it ain't "broke" don't spend money on it."

The problem is, that more and more people bring in cell phones, tablets, and IoT devices than ever before. So if they had an even "adequate" set-up 4 years ago, it's probably bogged down and slow as shit with the amount of traffic - even if they have roughly the same attendance.

Depending on when they last updated their WAPs, they probably need to double or quadruple the amount, and the size of them. Like fixing your car, just because you fix one "problem" area, doesn't mean you solved the problem.

If they increase their WAPs, they need to increase their routers. If they increase their routers, they need to update their switches. Once they do that they probably also need to update power/cooling/racks to accommodate the growth.

Their other problem is the IT policy. They have URI_Open, URI_Secure, and Ryan_Center networks all available - that's fine. Have separate networks if you want to - as long as you have the WAPs and routers to support that many channels without getting bogged down. Regardless of that - the sign in for Ryan Center is ridiculous. Other arenas. Other stadiums. Airports. Public places. NEW YORK CITY for example, you just click "accept terms" and connect. That's it. No long drawn out sign in, no registering.

Create a completely separate and isolated network with no tie-ins to any of the URI network if security is your concern. Hell put up a completely different set of WAPs and routers for public traffic and lessen the strain on the URI-only access points. This isn't rocket science.

And above all else - for the love of God - PUT A CELL SIGNAL REPEATER IN THE BUILDING. No other arena in the modern world has the technological limitations we do, yet relatively speaking we have one of the newer arenas out there.

FIGURE IT OUT.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago It’s not about the game experience being “ruined” with inadequate WiFi. A game has never been ruined for me. It’s simply the principle of how you can’t even use your phone during the game. I have had business calls come in that I can’t respond to as a result. Time is money. Also. There are in-game contests no one can hardly participate in since you can’t Tweet from your seat.
To piggy back on this... if WiFi worked in the building, people could text/tweet/facebook/instagram/snapchat stuff like "Having so much fun at the URI game!" with a pic or whatever. All their friends would see it and that's FREE ADVERTISING for the program.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago It’s not about the game experience being “ruined” with inadequate WiFi. A game has never been ruined for me. It’s simply the principle of how you can’t even use your phone during the game. I have had business calls come in that I can’t respond to as a result. Time is money. Also. There are in-game contests no one can hardly participate in since you can’t Tweet from your seat.
To piggy back on this... if WiFi worked in the building, people could text/tweet/facebook/instagram/snapchat stuff like "Having so much fun at the URI game!" with a pic or whatever. All their friends would see it and that's FREE ADVERTISING for the program.
Bingo!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If the WiFi worked in the building, people could just simply look at all the game stats that aren't shown on the boards during time outs, OR LOOK AT THE REPLAYS OF THE PLAYS THAT JUST HAPPENED THAT THEY REFUSE TO SHOW ON THE BOARD.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
If the WiFi worked in the building, people could just simply look at all the game stats that aren't shown on the boards during time outs, OR LOOK AT THE REPLAYS OF THE PLAYS THAT JUST HAPPENED THAT THEY REFUSE TO SHOW ON THE BOARD.
Seriously. How wound would the crowd have become if they showed Fatts' dunk a few times during the TO that followed?
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Maybe Shane can enlighten us about the lack of replays? Very appropriate question.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

My biggest beefs:
1) not leaving player stats on the ribbon above 203 during free throws as that is the only board I can see. It's the only time you can get a chance to assess fouls, points etc.
2) Beer not allowed at seats.
3) No replays. And it should be on both boards because well, I sit underneath the large board.

That's all..
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

4) not having ECR as your mascot who would bring back the lovable Rhody
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One thing I noticed the last home game was during a large chunk of halftime on the ribbon board there was just a generic URI graphic for much of the time. That would seem to be an ideal time and place to display stats
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago One thing I noticed the last home game was during a large chunk of halftime on the ribbon board there was just a generic URI graphic for much of the time. That would seem to be an ideal time and place to display stats

seems logical to me
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago My biggest beefs:
1) not leaving player stats on the ribbon above 203 during free throws as that is the only board I can see. It's the only time you can get a chance to assess fouls, points etc.
2) Beer not allowed at seats.
3) No replays. And it should be on both boards because well, I sit underneath the large board.

That's all..
I believe that the free throws are sponsored...every make is worth x to a charity so they put that same graphic up every time.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hope URI has something extra special in store at the Ryan Center for Friday.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago One thing I noticed the last home game was during a large chunk of halftime on the ribbon board there was just a generic URI graphic for much of the time. That would seem to be an ideal time and place to display stats

seems logical to me
Translation: Not happening.
2 x