NET 2019-2020 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: NET 2019-2020 Season

Unread post by theblueram »

Has net been updated? I see net as of Friday on the ncaa site.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Dropped 1 in net from 52 to now 53. Bonnies stayed at 134 barely clinging to q2 victory. Not gonna lie this whole net thing still confuses me. Wasnt expecting a big jump but thought it would get us atleast a couple spots.
Doesn’t look like it updated yet. Still says through Jan 24.

They still have the dukes at 72. I would expect a free fall from them - which will probably dampen our jump a tad.

Either way the longer the year goes on the less we’ll move after individual games.

While it was a great win as a fan (read: every win), the computers will see we beat a q2/Q3 team on the road by about what we were favored. We’ll go up but I wouldn’t expect more than 3 spots.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Dropped 1 in net from 52 to now 53. Bonnies stayed at 134 barely clinging to q2 victory. Not gonna lie this whole net thing still confuses me. Wasnt expecting a big jump but thought it would get us atleast a couple spots.

They still have the dukes at 72. I would expect a free fall from them - which will probably dampen our jump a tad.

Either way the longer the year goes on the less we’ll move after individual games.

While it was a great win as a fan (read: every win), the computers will see we beat a q2/Q3 team on the road by about what we were favored. We’ll go up but I wouldn’t expect more than 3 spots.
My CBS app appeared to be updated had current records and i saw us at 52 entering the game yesterday now at 53.

Although i do see duquesne didnt move as well. So maybe it isnt.
Last edited by FDshoes 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

My CBS app appeared to be updated had current records and i thought i saw us at 52 entering the game yesterday.
Ah - I usually use the NCAA one and it says games through Jan 24.

Here’s hoping!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

It says through games if 1/24 so I don’t think it’s been updated after yesterday’s games yet.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Hopefully, like i said my cbs app did have 1/25 on it and has typically updated after the last game each day since it started having the net listed.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully, like i said my cbs app did have 1/25 on it and has typically updated after the last game each day since it started having the net listed.
On another note wish rpi was still prevalent has us at 18 😂
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We dropped one to 53 :/ lame.

Although it still has Duq at 72 sooo maybe cbs isn't done updating.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

How do you beat a good team on the road and drop one spot?? NET rating system is a joke.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago How do you beat a good team on the road and drop one spot?? NET rating system is a joke.
Metrics-wise, St Bonaventure is not a good team.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago How do you beat a good team on the road and drop one spot?? NET rating system is a joke.
Metrics-wise, St Bonaventure is not a good team.
That may be true, but it’s still a road win in conference. You shouldn’t be penalized even one spot in the rankings. But I guess nothing is a perfect science. Just frustrating.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

But isnt that what margin of victory is suppose to take into account. No we didnt win by the "magical" 10 pts but we did cover the spread. Almost seems like the efficiency factor is to large. I am certainly questioning the NET.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

My understanding of the NET was that it’s more or less a proprietary formula kept under lock and key? As in the NCAA would be the only people to have it?

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings

This site hasn’t been updated yet and thats what I would trust. The simple fact that Duquesne hasn’t moved should be enough to wait til this site gets updated.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's taking way longer than usual.
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Washington lost by double digits and is still at 48 so that says it hasn’t been updated yet also.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

On positive note our Ken Pom offensive efficiency numbers jumped like 25+ spots after yesterday’s 81 pt performance. Believe it’s first time we have been in Top 100 offensively in a while.
3 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

NET up to 49
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The NET rankings for the A-10 from the NCAA site for games through 01-25-2020:
Screenshot_2020-01-26 DI Men's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball NET Rankings NCAA com.png
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

After the Brown and Richmond losses I didn’t even think URI could get in the top 50 in NET. Here they are at 49!!!! LETS GO RHODY
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I had to go through schedules, though i'm sure there must be a site that breaks down Quad wins and losses. Just couldn't find it.

For what it's worth:

URI Q1 1-3 Q2 3-1
VCU Q1 1-3 Q2 0-3
Rich Q1 1-4 Q2 1-1

This supports those that don't think VCU deserves to be in over URI at this point.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

VCU is surviving on brand power and blowing out shitty teams in non con at this point
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago I had to go through schedules, though i'm sure there must be a site that breaks down Quad wins and losses. Just couldn't find it.

For what it's worth:

URI Q1 1-3 Q2 3-1
VCU Q1 1-3 Q2 0-3
Rich Q1 1-4 Q2 1-1

This supports those that don't think VCU deserves to be in over URI at this point.
Richmonds lone Q1 win is us??

We can’t extend that same courtesy to VCU.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LSU going to be ranked tomorrow so we have losses to 3 teams ranked top 25 AP poll
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

All before we got Walker back...:)
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I think we would’ve beaten WVU with Walker
4 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

So 14-5 is where I expected this team to be right now. I obviously didn’t expect them to lose to Brown and had @VCU as a loss. That being said- how much difference in the metrics would it be had we beaten Brown and lost at VCU (results reversed)Obviously it would have been ideal to win both but...
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago So 14-5 is where I expected this team to be right now. I obviously didn’t expect them to lose to Brown and had @VCU as a loss. That being said- how much difference in the metrics would it be had we beaten Brown and lost at VCU (results reversed)Obviously it would have been ideal to win both but...
The metrics may be similar. But, in terms of an at-large resume, a road win vs a top 50 team is much more valuable than having one less “bad loss”.

Also, beating VCU was a huge piece in building the case that we are the second best team in the A-10.

IMO, the committee is very conscious about bids per conference and the A-10 deserves at least 1 at-large spot. The A-10 Commissioner is on the committee this year too which helps. (I think she has to recuse herself when voting on A-10 teams but just a presence there helps.)
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

URI2006_Andy wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago So 14-5 is where I expected this team to be right now. I obviously didn’t expect them to lose to Brown and had @VCU as a loss. That being said- how much difference in the metrics would it be had we beaten Brown and lost at VCU (results reversed)Obviously it would have been ideal to win both but...
The metrics may be similar. But, in terms of an at-large resume, a road win vs a top 50 team is much more valuable than having one less “bad loss”.

Also, beating VCU was a huge piece in building the case that we are the second best team in the A-10.

IMO, the committee is very conscious about bids per conference and the A-10 deserves at least 1 at-large spot. The A-10 Commissioner is on the committee this year too which helps. (I think she has to recuse herself when voting on A-10 teams but just a presence there helps.)
I still say the A10 is getting 3 at large bids. The conference metrics are pretty good.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I think the biggest factors are if any of the bubble teams beat Dayton and then how the conference tournament plays out.

My initial thought was Dayton would lose 4 or 5 conference games. But, they already won at St. Louis and at Richmond. So, chances are running out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess most likely 3 bids for A10
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

URI2006_Andy wrote: 4 years ago I think the biggest factors are if any of the bubble teams beat Dayton and then how the conference tournament plays out.

My initial thought was Dayton would lose 4 or 5 conference games. But, they already won at St. Louis and at Richmond. So, chances are running out.
We have to be the first team to beat Dayton at home then :)
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
URI2006_Andy wrote: 4 years ago

I still say the A10 is getting 3 at large bids. The conference metrics are pretty good.

So you think the A10 gets four teams in??

That’s gonna be very very tough.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we had beaten Brown, our NET would be about the same as VCU's.

I think the A10 gets 2 at large bids.

Beating SLU will be important since it's beginning to look like we will be battling Richmond and them for 2 spots.

The conference tourney could shake things up though if someone other than the top 4 wins it.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I know this guy is traditionally one of the more accurate bracketologists. He has URI as one of his last four in as of today.

http://makingthemadness.com/bracketolog ... -implodes/
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

URI net report 01 25.png

our chances of getting a bid are up to 69%, 32nd team in 8 seed according to this one site...
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tourn ... edictions/
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

URI moved up in NET over the night by 2 spots from 49 to 47.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

All depends on where you look. 9% here - https://bracketresearch.com/projected-n ... omparison/

aka a lot of work to do.

Sure if the season ended today we’d have a good shot, but we gotta avoid land mines and steal a couple on the road.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Updating the ESPN BPI-powered projections, right now they have URI as a 9 seed and finishing second in the conference. This is still projecting 4 A10 bids, but Richmond and VCU are hanging by a thread as 12 seeds.
Attachments
26F5C767-A640-4E52-A384-83F4F10C5F45.jpeg
449E84B9-E2B8-4DD2-BB76-0CAA4F1BC7E0.jpeg
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Updating the ESPN BPI-powered projections, right now they have URI as a 9 seed and finishing second in the conference. This is still projecting 4 A10 bids, but Richmond and VCU are hanging by a thread as 12 seeds.
As much as I'd love to see the A10 be a 4 bid, it's starting to look like 2-3 is where we'll wind up.

Unfortunately for us, in a conference with very dwindling prospects for Q1 wins, we're becoming one of the few. The basement, after what we thought was a strong OOC, is still the damn basement and they all continue to plummet.

VCU, Richmond, and us are going to be penalized playing them. Even worse, we'll be throttled if we lose to them.

VCU and Richmond are battling us for what could be only 1 spot after Dayton. We can't let VCU get a Q1 against us on Friday. We can't fall off the mountain and drop a lame one to GMU this week either.

The #2 seed and a Dayton split are CRITICAL. Have to sweep VCU.

The only path I can see to a very good feeling heading to Brooklyn is at MINIMUM 8-3 the rest of the way, with losses @ Dayton, @Davidson, and @UMass. Preferably 9-2 with losses only @ Dayton and @ Davidson.

Like others have said - Virginia and Xavier "haven't beat anybody" - well neither have we. And we have the bad loss like everyone else. Potentially a Q4 loss. We need Bama to become a Q1. We need PC to get back to a Q2. And we need to beat Dayton once, and VCU again - while hoping VCU wins out the rest of their games.

In that scenario - even dropping another Q3 to UMass and Q2 @ Davidson - 4-4 Q1, 5-2 Q2, 6-2 Q3, 8-0 Q4 would get it done. Plus that scenario probably gets VCU in as well making the A10 a 3 bid.

No matter what - GMU = MUST. WIN.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The good news, albeit very unrealistic, is we’re the only team other than Dayton that controls their own destiny to the 1 seed. Win all our remaining games and we’re the 1. Win all and 1 loss to someone not named Dayton and we’re also the 1.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Updating the ESPN BPI-powered projections, right now they have URI as a 9 seed and finishing second in the conference. This is still projecting 4 A10 bids, but Richmond and VCU are hanging by a thread as 12 seeds.
As much as I'd love to see the A10 be a 4 bid, it's starting to look like 2-3 is where we'll wind up.

Unfortunately for us, in a conference with very dwindling prospects for Q1 wins, we're becoming one of the few. The basement, after what we thought was a strong OOC, is still the damn basement and they all continue to plummet.

VCU, Richmond, and us are going to be penalized playing them. Even worse, we'll be throttled if we lose to them.

VCU and Richmond are battling us for what could be only 1 spot after Dayton. We can't let VCU get a Q1 against us on Friday. We can't fall off the mountain and drop a lame one to GMU this week either.

The only path I can see to a very good feeling heading to Brooklyn is at MINIMUM 8-3 the rest of the way, with losses @ Dayton, @Davidson, and @UMass. Preferably 9-2 with losses only @ Dayton and @ Davidson.

Like others have said - Virginia and Xavier "haven't beat anybody" - well neither have we. And we have the bad loss like everyone else. Potentially a Q4 loss. We need Bama to become a Q1. We need PC to get back to a Q2. And we need to beat Dayton once, and VCU again - while hoping VCU wins out the rest of their games.

In that scenario - even dropping another Q3 to UMass and Q2 @ Davidson - 4-4 Q1, 5-2 Q2, 6-2 Q3, 8-0 Q4 would get it done. Plus that scenario probably gets VCU in as well making the A10 a 3 bid.

If they lose to Umass they aren't making the tourney. I think losing three games the rest of the way will be very tricky prior to the A-10. I think the best route would be two loses with one at Dayton and maybe Davidson or win all the other games besides Dayton. This won't be easy, but I don't think loses to both Davidson and UMASS will go far in the committees eyes.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yup. Nailed it. I think this is a very good breakdown of where we're at and where we'll need to be.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

At Umass. This team cant lose that game. I think losing both games to Dayton is more realistic
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

If they lose to Umass they aren't making the tourney. I think losing three games the rest of the way will be very tricky prior to the A-10. I think the best route would be two loses with one at Dayton and maybe Davidson or win all the other games besides Dayton. This won't be easy, but I don't think loses to both Davidson and UMASS will go far in the committees eyes.
I agree with you as far as if everything stayed the way it is (Bama Q2, VCU home Q2, PC Q3).

For sure it we only have a 1-5 or 2-4 Q1 record and another bad loss, we are definitely outside looking in.

If everything stays the same we can probably only afford the loss @ Dayton and a Q2 loss at home vs St Louis or @ Davidson). That UMass loss scenario only works if Bama becomes Q1 and if VCU can play up to a Q1 win (obviously with us needing to beat them at home).

Agreed that prior to the Brown game/A-10 start we'd have all said 14-4 definitely gets us in - but the situation definitely changed. Unfortunately we're looking at 15-3 to feel good.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Roz wrote: 4 years ago

At Umass. This team cant lose that game. I think losing both games to Dayton is more realistic
I agree. UMass is the boogeyman under my bed tho.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You guys forget, Dayton will at some point slip up and lose to a team not named URI at some point. I doubt they run the gauntlet.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago You guys forget, Dayton will at some point slip up and lose to a team not named URI at some point. I doubt they run the gauntlet.
I hope they slip up and lose to a team named URI instead.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We are in the First Four Out on CBS bracket and we got 6 votes in the AP Poll :D
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

6 votes in the AP poll
0 x