Week #12 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Week #12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by rhodysurf »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago I need Dayton to blow the shit out of Richmond saturday
Nope, don't play for second. Win the conference instead. jmho
Dayton still has chances to lose to teams that we dont own a tiebreaker over. Not to mention we are competing with Richmond for an at large and if they beat dayton we are way behind them all of a sudden
6 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

looking at it realistically , we have very little chance to beat Dayton out for first , so having a very realistic shot at the second spot becomes
even more realistic with a Richmond loss . A Richmond loss drops them behind URI in the standings if URI beats SBU so I am rooting for and
also expecting Dayton to crush Richmond . I expect Richmond to lose some more games . I am not that impressed by them. VCU concerns me
more. URI must beat VCU at home to validate the win at VCU .
7 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only relevant game in Friday night action is Yale visiting Brown, 7 PM. ON ESPNU.

Yale won the first match with Brown, but needed a big second half surge to beat the Bruins. Yale sports a NET of 61 while Brown stands at #221. Naturally we root for Brown to win this one in their crappy gym.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

luke wrote: 4 years ago looking at it realistically , we have very little chance to beat Dayton out for first , so having a very realistic shot at the second spot becomes
even more realistic with a Richmond loss . A Richmond loss drops them behind URI in the standings if URI beats SBU so I am rooting for and
also expecting Dayton to crush Richmond . I expect Richmond to lose some more games . I am not that impressed by them. VCU concerns me
OK...if you 'expect Richmond to lose more games' (which, I translate as "more games than Rhody")'...why wouldn't you want them to pin a loss on the only undefeated team in the conference, since they're going to lose more games anyway? We have a better chance of beating Dayton out for first if they lose to Richmond. Seems like no one cares about that, folks just keep on "hoping for second-best..." Go for the gold til it's no longer available.

Unrelated... if Dayton comes here in the Top 15 and we win...court storm or no?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

luke wrote: 4 years ago looking at it realistically , we have very little chance to beat Dayton out for first , so having a very realistic shot at the second spot becomes
OK...if you 'expect Richmond to lose more games' (which, I translate as "more games than Rhody")'...why wouldn't you want them to pin a loss on the only undefeated team in the conference, since they're going to lose more games anyway? We have a better chance of beating Dayton out for first if they lose to Richmond. Seems like no one cares about that, folks just keep on "hoping for second-best..." Go for the gold til it's no longer available.

I can't see us court storming Dayton. We have beaten them too many times when they are good.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Realistically (or at least mathematically), if URI runs the table, they win first place. They'd be 17-1 and Dayton 16-2. Will it happen? Probably not. But it is the best way to ensure first place. Win all your games.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Go Brown Bears
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Realistically (or at least mathematically), if URI runs the table, they win first place. They'd be 17-1 and Dayton 16-2. Will it happen? Probably not. But it is the best way to ensure first place. Win all your games.
Exactly. And until that opportunity is gone...I want the teams ahead of us to lose...starting with those farthest ahead of us.
2 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Why give a team you just beat, the feeling that you were inferior to them? No court storming ever, in my book. (Maybe National Championship)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am pulling for Dayton to put a butt whoopin in Richmond
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago Why give a team you just beat, the feeling that you were inferior to them? No court storming ever, in my book. (Maybe National Championship)
Quite a departure from the Baron era when he invited court storms after beating teams they were favored over :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago I need Dayton to blow the shit out of Richmond saturday

disagree with you again NYG for so many reasons, but i'll give you the simplest one here...

How about this thought? If Richmond loses to Dayton, we control our destiny in the conference.

1) If Richmond wins out and we win out, RIchmond wins the A10
2) if Richmond loses tonight and we win out, We win the A10

once we've done enough to secure a bid to the dance, then i will start rooting for the best path to win the A10 regular season. for now, Dayton is a lock so i don't care if they win games. richmond is not a lock, but they are ahead of us on the dance card so i want them to lose games.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Assuming a Dayton win over Richmond tomorrow, a URI win puts us alone in second place - one game out of first place Dayton; a loss puts us in a 5-way tie for 2nd place (with Bonnies, Richmond, Duquesne and VCU), two games out of first. We’d be down a tie-breaker against Richmond and Bonnies.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago Why give a team you just beat, the feeling that you were inferior to them? No court storming ever, in my book. (Maybe National Championship)
*insert Old Man yells at cloud gif*

It’s college, court storming will always happen during big upsets.

With that being said, if we beat Dayton at home, no chance we should storm, wouldn’t be thaaaaat big of an upset.
0 x
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
Dayton still has chances to lose to teams that we dont own a tiebreaker over. Not to mention we are competing with Richmond for an at large and if they beat dayton we are way behind them all of a sudden
It may be a total long shot but if Dayton beats Richmond we are back in control of our own destiny as far as the conference standings.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I can't see us court storming Dayton. We have beaten them too many times when they are good.
Lol with our super vaunted history of beating top 10 and 15 teams all of a sudden we’re above court storming? Seriously?

We’ve never beaten a top 15 team in the regular season. Yeah - I would say a storming would be warranted.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Storming will be fine.

Storming will be fine.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Put my vote in for Storming!!

And I’m with 208, go for 1st place!

There is no way this group of players and coaches is going got anything less than the Championship.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Watching Yale at Brown. Nether team can score. Its 8- 6 at the 13 minute mark. How did we ever lose to Brown?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I stormed the court once when we beat Dayton at the buzzer with the Marquis shot. Everybody else stormed so I did too. Blueman was running wild all over the court high fiveing everyone. I figure I'd get a high five from the crazy kid too.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Put my vote in for Storming!!

And I’m with 208, go for 1st place!

There is no way this group of players and coaches is going got anything less than the Championship.
The only thing a regular season title gets you is a guaranteed NIT spot, which isn’t what we are playing for. Otherwise, there is no real difference between the 1st and 2nd seed. I’m all for setting the goal at first place because why the hell not - try to win every game you play. But when there is a top-5 type team in the A10 I don’t think second place is anything to be ashamed of.

Who we root for has no actual impact on anything that happens on the court in any of these games. As a fan, I’ll root for the path to second place to open up versus rooting for Dayton to lose, which is probably pointless and would be bad for the conference in any event. Gooooooo Dayton Flyers I hope they go 16-2 with two losses to Rhody.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Be aggressive, seek the conference title first and foremost. It's the first goal that can be reached, and since everyone seems to have just given Dayton the title...seems the biggest barrier is the idea that it's impossible for Dayton to lose multiple games (it isn't, and the sooner that happens, the better.
And it can't even start to happen until Dayton loses one, I don't care who it's against, let's start that process. Go Spide.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I'm sure the players will perform aggressively on the floor with the goal of winning the regular season conference title. I certainly hope they do. But curious, if we as fans are more "aggressive" in rooting for one team or another, will that help? If so...while ramster and 208 aggressively root for teams that are on the bubble with URI to pick up marquis wins...i will root just as aggressively for teams that are securely in the field to beat bubble teams.

GO FLYERS! BEAT THE SPIDERS!
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Spiders gon get worked without Francis.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago I'm sure the players will perform aggressively on the floor with the goal of winning the regular season conference title. I certainly hope they do. But curious, if we as fans are more "aggressive" in rooting for one team or another, will that help?

GO FLYERS! BEAT THE SPIDERS!
My many years of Red Sox experience research have shown that, no...how hard you root for a team has no bearing whatsoever on the outcome. Not just not very much, but absolutely none. Having said that, if I'm going to root for something, knowing it has no impact, I want best case scenario - 1st place. Means Dayton has to lose multiple times, let's start 'em now.

I'll take my chances with it "coming back to bite me" and someone saying "If only Dayton hadn't lost to Richmond, Rhody woulda ______"

Roll. Spide. ;)

ETA: The upside to this is...if Dayton does win, even though I will be less than pleased...there will be a lot of people that know more about all of this than me that will still think it's a good thing...so I won't be totally bummed. (But still way happier if Richmond did) :lol:
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You can clean up this thread with one action. Mission accomplished.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of Saturday action in the A-10

Rhode Island at St. Bonaventure, 3 PM. On Stadium.

VCU at La Salle, 12 Noon. On NBCSN.

Duquesne at UMass, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Saint Joseph's at George Washington, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

#7 Dayton at Richmond, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

George Mason at Davidson, 6 PM. On CBSSN.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Missouri at West Virginia, 12 Noon. On ESPN. This game is part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

#9 Villanova at Providence, 1 PM. On CBS.

LSU at Texas, 2 PM. On ESPN. This game is part of the Big12/SEC Challenge.

Robert Morris at Long Island U., 4:30 PM.

Kansas State at Alabama, 6 PM. On ESPN2. This game is part of the Big12/SEC Challenge.

Southern Miss at Middle Tennessee, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

UTEP at North Texas, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

Nicholls at New Orleans, 7 PM.

Marshall at Western Kentucky, 7:30 PM.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

All 6 of the A10 games could go either way methinks. Glad I don’t gamble.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago All 6 of the A10 games could go either way methinks. Glad I don’t gamble.
I think Duquesne and VCU will have easy wins.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Gola Arena is embarrassing. VCU plays so sloppy.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In today's bubble games:

Fourth to last bye Saint Mary's is at Loyola Marymount at 9
Third to last bye DePaul hosts St. John's at 2 on FS1
Second to last bye Virginia Tech is at Boston College at 2 on ESPNU
Last bye NC State is at Georgia Tech at 4
Fourth to last in Oklahoma hosts seventh out Mississippi State at 2 on ESPN2
Second to last in #18 Texas Tech hosts #15 Kentucky
Last in VCU is at LaSalle now on NBC Sports
Second out Richmond hosts #7 Dayton at 6
We're fourth out at St. Bonaventure at 3 on Stadium
Fifth out Arizona State hosts #22 Arizona at 9:30 on PACN
Sixth out Alabama hosts Kansas State at 6 on ESPN2
Eighth out Tennessee is at #3 Kansas at 4 on ESPN
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thank God we didn’t lose to LaSalle.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

VCU up 21-8 at the 8:00 mark. LaSalle has 8 points in 12 minutes.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How much longer can VCU bring Bones off the bench. Guy is probably going to be the ROY and is a definite all-A10 player down the road. I know Simms brings other stuff to the table outside of scoring, but to me it is Bones time in Richmond.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

VCU is a bit better with Crowfield out there. The only guy who isn't brick city from three.

They are going to be even tougher next week.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

La Salle comes storming back. I've seen this movie before.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Did we talk about Martelli being an assistant at Michigan? I’m watching the end of this game and they’re showing the Wolverine huddle and I did a triple take.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Did we talk about Martelli being an assistant at Michigan? I’m watching the end of this game and they’re showing the Wolverine huddle and I did a triple take.

I did the same a few weeks ago!

I dont remember any of us talking about that.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Providence led by Pipkins is a disaster in crunch time lol
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Duquesne is about to lose to UMass. Down 10 with 5 minutes left.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne is about to lose to UMass. Down 10 with 5 minutes left.

We can kiss that Q2 win goodbye.

Pretenders.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne is about to lose to UMass. Down 10 with 5 minutes left.

Pretenders.
They were a must blowout at home for a reason. Thank God we showed up in the 2nd half.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Pretenders.
They were a must blowout at home for a reason. Thank God we showed up in the 2nd half.

SCREW them for sucking.
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Only benefit of Richmond winning is bettering our chances of grabbing a regular season title.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Did we talk about Martelli being an assistant at Michigan? I’m watching the end of this game and they’re showing the Wolverine huddle and I did a triple take.

I did the same a few weeks ago!

I dont remember any of us talking about that.
Yes. I thought we talked about this in probably the coaching carousel thread. Unless we had a separate thread for the Klingon.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago Only benefit of Richmond winning is bettering our chances of grabbing a regular season title.
welp....no worries about that. We lost to those guys....?
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Pretty entertaining Davidson-GMU game. Wildcats up 7 with 4 to go. Mason can be turned over. Fatts and Jeff should be able to dominate. Best moment of the game is when some college kids stripped down to bathing suits and shook their asses to distract Mason at the line.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Alabama with another win, getting them in top 25 NET would be HUGE.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Second place baby
1 x