NET 2019-2020 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: NET 2019-2020 Season

Unread post by TruePoint »

They also got freaking drilled and scored 17 points in the second half. The NET is more dynamic than its predecessor, RPI. How you lose has an impact in addition to who you lose to and where. As was pointed out, this effect is exacerbated by Duquesne’s weak schedule. But the weak schedule alone wouldn’t have turned a 2 pt road loss into an 18 spot drop. Needed both the weak schedule and the thorough stomping together.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago They also got freaking drilled and scored 17 points in the second half. The NET is more dynamic than its predecessor, RPI. How you lose has an impact in addition to who you lose to and where. As was pointed out, this effect is exacerbated by Duquesne’s weak schedule. But the weak schedule alone wouldn’t have turned a 2 pt road loss into an 18 spot drop. Needed both the weak schedule and the thorough stomping together.
Agreed.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Now we need Duquesne to win some games to stay in Quad 2 territory. But I fear that won't happen and they will fall back down to earth. As TP pointed out they also have a backloaded schedule so their tougher games are still ahead of them.
2 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Since we seem to be regaining interest in the NET and such...@ Davidson could become a Q1 game! They just jumped 11 spots (110 to 99) with a home win over St Louis last night. They have seven games before we visit them...plenty of time to move to 75.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just for the hell of it, URI has an RPI of 21
3 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Now we need Duquesne to win some games to stay in Quad 2 territory. But I fear that won't happen and they will fall back down to earth. As TP pointed out they also have a backloaded schedule so their tougher games are still ahead of them.
I agree with you here. This is part of the reason I wanted to see us blow these guys out a little last night, because I think as the season goes on it'll show they really aren't nearly as good as they may seem right now.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Now we need Duquesne to win some games to stay in Quad 2 territory. But I fear that won't happen and they will fall back down to earth. As TP pointed out they also have a backloaded schedule so their tougher games are still ahead of them.
I agree with you here. This is part of the reason I wanted to see us blow these guys out a little last night, because I think as the season goes on it'll show they really aren't nearly as good as they may seem right now.

I think it more so shows how good WE are when we are locked in. Duquesne just did not have the talent at the end of the day to handle us and they sent used to a hostile road environment. They are a solid NIT level team without the ability to explode to the NCAA level like we can.

Their Saint Louis game is impressive, although SLU can go into a SLUMP offensively and especially on the free throw line. If you get ahead on them they are toast.

Anybody else thought about this?

Dayton will likely be top 5 when we see them in Dayton?

Potentially NUMBER ONE when we play them in the Ryan Center???
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I think it more so shows how good WE are when we are locked in. Duquesne just did not have the talent at the end of the day to handle us and they sent used to a hostile road environment. They are a solid NIT level team without the ability to explode to the NCAA level like we can.

Their Saint Louis game is impressive, although SLU can go into a SLUMP offensively and especially on the free throw line. If you get ahead on them they are toast.

Well I mean - would be tough for them to be number 1 in March if they suffer a crushing home loss on Feb 11th :D
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PARam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PARam »

NET is now 52 after last night!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

URI net report 01 23.png
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago URI net report 01 23.png
Where did you pull this from?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime posted a link on page 5, pretty useful tool.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I literally get no work done the mornings after a win lol
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What does it mean when the game is highlighted in Teal??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/_l ... FCCState=1
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Teal means non-conference games, red is a loss, green home games and orange away. Sorry I have to screen shot them, they aren't formatted for the forum and the screen shot doesn't get the legend/key on the bottom of the page.

its funny, if we beat the Bonnies it could become a Q3 win, but if we lose to them it will be a Q2 loss. We have several opponents on the cusp of moving up a quadrant or sliding back a quadrant. Just looking for balance there I guess.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago What does it mean when the game is highlighted in Teal??
Non-conference game.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tourn ... edictions/

60% chance to get a bid, 10 seed predicted as of today.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Oh this is a lot better.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I doubt Dayton stays in the top 10 after we beat them.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah it depends on how high they are ranked and how highly they regard us.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah it depends on how high they are ranked and how highly they regard us.
That's a problem with the perception of the A10... if we were a P5 conference or even the Big East and the unranked team won on the road against the nationally ranked top 5 team the visiting team would jump into the middle of the rankings around 15 or 16 and the top 5 team would only fall a couple of spots.

If we win at Dayton they'd probably fall completely out of the top 10 and we might show up in the "others receiving votes"
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am really loving our metrics

I agree on Duquesne falling a lot after we beat them they have played a bad SOS
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

showing up on 5 brackets on bracketmatrix with 1/2 up to date
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We stayed at 52 after yesterday's games
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rams are one of the 'Next Four Out' teams in the Athletic's latest bracket.

https://theathletic.com/1557801/2020/01 ... o-1-seeds/

Need a subscription to see the whole thing but...

LAST FOUR IN
Virginia Tech
Purdue
Saint Mary's
VCU

FIRST FOUR OUT
Georgetown
Depaul
Tennessee
Xavier

NEXT FOUR OUT
Washington
Alabama
Richmond
Rhode Island
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I think that's fair for right now. We need a Dayton win and NO Q3/Q4 losses. Or if you don't beat Dayton but beat literally everyone else, that would probably work too.

Just win baby.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Their predictor for the rest of the games have the team losing to VCU and Davidson by a point. That would be heartbreaking.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The BIG10 is pushing everyone out, even the Big East.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
I think this is accurate. St Bonnies is a must win. Have to keep this momentum going.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think there is evidence to suggest Rothstein is a little behind the curve here. I think URI is on the radar, but they’re not in the field at this point so the larger point that there is a ton of work still to do is valid.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Just the fact that he mentioned us means we are on "the radar", we just may not be near the target. How could we not be on the radar as we sit tied for second in the A10 and clobbered one of the other teams that we are tied with?

But as many of us have said before...our margin of error is small and we do not get the benefit of the doubt that schools in the big conferences get. We used to get some of it when Hurley was our coach.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Latest Lunardi Bracketology has the A10 as a 1 bid team ?!?!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago Just the fact that he mentioned us means we are on "the radar", we just may not be near the target. How could we not be on the radar as we sit tied for second in the A10 and clobbered one of the other teams that we are tied with?

But as many of us have said before...our margin of error is small and we do not get the benefit of the doubt that schools in the big conferences get.
And Duquesne was getting votes in the top 25. Also, Jerry Palm has SLU as First Four Out. How can SLU be getting more notice than us?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

From yesterday

Lunardi pegs the A-10 as a two-bid league, with Dayton as a No. 2 seed, VCU in the Last Four In and Richmond lurking in the Next Four Out. Richmond welcomes No. 7 Dayton to the Robins Center on Saturday, a game BPI gives Richmond a 36% chance to win. While certainly not a must-win game, should the Spiders pull off the upset at home, BPI Bracket Predictor gives the team an 87% chance to make the tournament.

BPI prediction: 75% chance the A-10 gets three or more teams into the tournament.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... s-buy-sell
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago From yesterday

Lunardi pegs the A-10 as a two-bid league, with Dayton as a No. 2 seed, VCU in the Last Four In and Richmond lurking in the Next Four Out. Richmond welcomes No. 7 Dayton to the Robins Center on Saturday, a game BPI gives Richmond a 36% chance to win. While certainly not a must-win game, should the Spiders pull off the upset at home, BPI Bracket Predictor gives the team an 87% chance to make the tournament.

BPI prediction: 75% chance the A-10 gets three or more teams into the tournament.

Love that we're getting to have these conversations again, but remember that Lunardi sucks and isn't in the top 50 for accuracy with his predictions. Trust BracketMatrix since it complies every bracket out there and gives the overall picture of where your team is most likely to fall.

Right now the matrix has Rhody 10th out - 9 spots behind VCU, 2 spots behind Richmond, 1 spot ahead of St Louis. St Bonnies is a MUST WIN this weekend.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago Latest Lunardi Bracketology has the A10 as a 1 bid team ?!?!
And yet Liberty, whose best win is a neutral site win over a decent-at-best Akron team, is still in the field after falling to second place in the A-Sun.

Lunardi is a bozo.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s important to keep in mind that the horse race aspect of this Is not really important. The only thing that matters is where you end up after all the games have been played. A lot of our opinions about who is better than who and who should be ranked where are partly bound up, at least subconsciously, with how we project teams will play the remainder of the season. If you think URI is going to go 15-3 and finish second in the A10, what is the point of worrying about where we stand in the bracketology compared to SLU or Richmond? Or, if you think 15-3 and a second place finish is unrealistic...same question. It’s all going to come out in the wash. The one thing that matters about bracketology right now is that it is validation of the idea that we are close enough to striking distance that we almost definitely control our own destiny. Whether we would be in if the season ended today is irrelevant.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago It’s important to keep in mind that the horse race aspect of this Is not really important. The only thing that matters is where you end up after all the games have been played. A lot of our opinions about who is better than who and who should be ranked where are partly bound up, at least subconsciously, with how we project teams will play the remainder of the season. If you think URI is going to go 15-3 and finish second in the A10, what is the point of worrying about where we stand in the bracketology compared to SLU or Richmond? Or, if you think 15-3 and a second place finish is unrealistic...same question. It’s all going to come out in the wash. The one thing that matters about bracketology right now is that it is validation of the idea that we are close enough to striking distance that we almost definitely control our own destiny. Whether we would be in if the season ended today is irrelevant.
The importance is national exposure. People see names on a board and just assume the team is a NCAAT team. But if you look at the resume of SLU, who have they really beaten to get that national rep?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe fans will think that, but the committee is not going to care how the media ranks these bubble-ish teams against one another in January. These lists just don't matter for getting into the field. Everyone on or near the bubble has virtually all of their most important games still to play.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
RIFan wrote: 4 years ago From yesterday

Love that we're getting to have these conversations again, but remember that Lunardi sucks and isn't in the top 50 for accuracy with his predictions. Trust BracketMatrix since it complies every bracket out there and gives the overall picture of where your team is most likely to fall.

Right now the matrix has Rhody 10th out - 9 spots behind VCU, 2 spots behind Richmond, 1 spot ahead of St Louis. St Bonnies is a MUST WIN this weekend.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
Or bracketville, who has been the most accurate picker over the last five years
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

The fact that all of these guys have VCU in ahead of Rhody makes absolutely no sense. It actually destroys their credibility. I know I don't have to explain to you, but we beat VCU on their home court. Hello?? Bottom line is that we just have to keep winning.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Maybe fans will think that, but the committee is not going to care how the media ranks these bubble-ish teams against one another in January. These lists just don't matter for getting into the field. Everyone on or near the bubble has virtually all of their most important games still to play.
This is completely true. Each team has an opportunity to win the games that are left in front of them. I find it funny when people get mad that URI isn’t in the field or even last 8-10 out at this point. Most of these teams in the bubble play in power 5 conferences and have more opportunities to get quad 1 and quad 2 loses. Like a PC these teams can lose a game like even a Brown and get away with it much easier than a URI can no matter the year. People get mad when many of us on the board say it is a must win for an at large what seems like every game, but what realistically is going to get an at large bid if we lose too many more games and we aren’t on the bubble yet. Take care of business and many of these teams will lose plenty of games that are ahead of us now.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Maybe fans will think that, but the committee is not going to care how the media ranks these bubble-ish teams against one another in January. These lists just don't matter for getting into the field. Everyone on or near the bubble has virtually all of their most important games still to play.
This is completely true. Each team has an opportunity to win the games that are left in front of them. I find it funny when people get mad that URI isn’t in the field or even last 8-10 out at this point. Most of these teams in the bubble play in power 5 conferences and have more opportunities to get quad 1 and quad 2 loses. Like a PC these teams can lose a game like even a Brown and get away with it much easier than a URI can no matter the year. People get mad when many of us on the board say it is a must win for an at large what seems like every game, but what realistically is going to get an at large bid if we lose too many more games and we aren’t on the bubble yet. Take care of business and many of these teams will lose plenty of games that are ahead of us now.
I don't think anyone is getting mad we aren't in the field. We haven't earned it yet.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago The fact that all of these guys have VCU in ahead of Rhody makes absolutely no sense. It actually destroys their credibility. I know I don't have to explain to you, but we beat VCU on their home court. Hello?? Bottom line is that we just have to keep winning.
Wouldn’t Richmond fans make the same argument about us, and so on? You can’t judge it on one game.
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

You have to say that Richmond is ahead of us right now. They beat us on our home court. Advantage Richmond. I just don't understand the love for VCU.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago The fact that all of these guys have VCU in ahead of Rhody makes absolutely no sense. It actually destroys their credibility. I know I don't have to explain to you, but we beat VCU on their home court. Hello?? Bottom line is that we just have to keep winning.
I don't agree with that argument -- A head-to-head win does not automatically mean one team jumps the other. It's about total resume. If you want to say URI has a better resume and I don't understand how VCU is in, fine. And I agree that URI has a better total resume based solely on W/L's. The difference between the two teams is VCU is +12 in the NET, but that is in large part due to efficiency. Simplistic view, but URI is +84 in 10 Q3/Q4 games, VCU is +219 in 12 Q3/Q4 games. URI has outperformed VCU in Q1/Q2 games, but doesn't even come close to closing that gap at the moment. That ends up impacting efficiency and MOV metrics.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
I don't agree with that argument -- A head-to-head win does not automatically mean one team jumps the other. It's about total resume. If you want to say URI has a better resume and I don't understand how VCU is in, fine. And I agree that URI has a better total resume based solely on W/L's. The difference between the two teams is VCU is +12 in the NET, but that is in large part due to efficiency. Simplistic view, but URI is +84 in 10 Q3/Q4 games, VCU is +219 in 12 Q3/Q4 games. URI has outperformed VCU in Q1/Q2 games, but doesn't even come close to closing that gap at the moment. That ends up impacting efficiency and MOV metrics.
Looks like efficiency needs to be adjusted based on opponent then. Seems like a flaw. Efficiency in higher comp should be worth more in the stats.
0 x