1/18 | La Salle | 12:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/18 | La Salle | 12:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by ramster »

URI is 13th in 3-point shooting percentage at 30.0%. Only St Josephs is worse at 29.8%

We have taken the fewest number of 3-pointers with 300.

URI is 4th in 3-point shooting percentage defense at the exact same 30.0%

2002B3F5-1F89-41B9-A8DA-DF352F4A8817.png
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Looking back at LaSalle. This team lost by 5 @ Nova and by 5 @ home vs Temple. So it happens.
1 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Looking back at LaSalle. This team lost by 5 @ Nova and by 5 @ home vs Temple. So it happens.
They lost by 11 to Nova. Point still taken.
2 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago 8 men is the best rotation. I guess you could push that to 9 under some really odd circumstances, but 8 men is the model that is proven over time.

A basketball team is not a hockey team, you can't send people in in waves. The starters earn their playing time, you can't just divide it in half, for many different reasons.

The only difference is the injury factor. I'm sure at UCLA in the 90's, Harrick had at least a couple of guys that were ready to crack that 8 man lineup in case of a catastrophic injury on the road to the NCAA Tournament and they were willing to wait for that opportunity. Now look at college basketball today, you don't give your frosh recruits playing time and they are out the revolving door. It's a different world. But, if Cox wants to run a 8 man rotation, I don't see enough reason for anyone to question it.

The variable here is DJ. Would he be inserted at a late point in the season. If it's too deep into the season, I'm thinking they don't, no matter what happens. And, I saw him play just that one game vs RIC, I'm not buying that he's not a player. He looked really good. They are hoarding him for next year and the year after that.
The problem with this 8 man rotation is the back ups are not scholarship back ups. If any of those 8 get hurt it's a bad situation. Look at them now, I was at the game Saturday and saw Langevine go down and limp around, Toppin went down and kept shaking his wrist (then clanked 2 FT's), Fatts hits the floor a half dozen times a game and takes a bit to get up and Harris went down and limped a bit. When you play these amount of mins you get tired and it can cause all sorts of trips/stumbles. You can blame Cox/NCAA/Tate-Hammond for this problem (all have a blame) but the reality is this 8 man rotation with no real backups is a very precocious situation.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The game I was at Toppin made the 2 free throws he attempted.

There is no doubt that playing 8 guys without any other back up is risky but that is the hand we have been dealt. Someone needs to keep track of how many more times this is brought up before the season is over.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... eam/152/p7

Some interesting stats- appaently as of today, Virginia, BC St Johns and North Carolina are worse 3 pt shooting percentage than us.

and Wes Virginia , Maryland, and Tenn are less than a point better than us.
1 x