Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Dana Tate to Transfer

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago When do classes start ??
a week from today
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Why are some speculating that Tate might return? Is there any credence to this possibility? If there is no basis to this other than general fact that he has yet to announce where he will be going, I think random speculation of a return is a waste of time.
6 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

No one speculated he would return people were simply confused as to why they have not heard any news of him transferring yet. Not a waste of time.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not a bad landing spot.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Good school. I think that would be a nice fit for him.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......maybe that conference will be good fit for him.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hopefully Siena doesn’t allow students to have cars on campus...

:P
3 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully Siena doesn’t allow students to have cars on campus...

Harsh
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully Siena doesn’t allow students to have cars on campus...

Harsh
Very.... 😳
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Holy hell people lighten up.
5 x
Go Rhody
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Realistically, when I found out what he did I thought to myself "that is the most URI move a student could ever make" and wish he had succeeded. URI (and the emporium) are ridiculous with their tow policy on students cars. Idk if every college is like that. You dont have nearly enough housing for all students so people commute from home or down the line, then you have the audacity to charge hundreds of dollars a semester.
And shame on the university administration for acting like he did something that hurt anyone. Acted like the kid was out there assaulting people, or robbing dorm rooms.

I wish he got away with it, would have handed him a medal.

I also would have just lent him the $150 to get his car out but he must have lost my number...

Best of like to Dana, hope he doesn't kick himself too much over this. My rant on this is done and over.
7 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

You actually wouldn’t have been able to lend him money because that would be an NCAA violation.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago You actually wouldn’t have been able to lend him money because that would be an NCAA violation.
That would an OBJ move ha!
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago You actually wouldn’t have been able to lend him money because that would be an NCAA violation.
But I thought I read that the “bills were fake”
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Some bills were, but some of the players said they were given real money too (Joe Burrow)
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Some bills were, but some of the players said they were given real money too (Joe Burrow)
He could have sent some my way. Need some new clothes. Maybe a new bag. Some Botox for my birthday.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Realistically, when I found out what he did I thought to myself "that is the most URI move a student could ever make" and wish he had succeeded. URI (and the emporium) are ridiculous with their tow policy on students cars. Idk if every college is like that. You dont have nearly enough housing for all students so people commute from home or down the line, then you have the audacity to charge hundreds of dollars a semester.
And shame on the university administration for acting like he did something that hurt anyone. Acted like the kid was out there assaulting people, or robbing dorm rooms.

I also would have just lent him the $150 to get his car out but he must have lost my number...

Best of like to Dana, hope he doesn't kick himself too much over this. My rant on this is done and over.
I played a 4 year cat and mouse game with those vile pieces of human garbage. Those parking monitor nerds were my sworn mortal enemies. I went four years of not once buying a parking sticker out of principle and I got my car towed many a time. I only wish I had thought of trying to steal it back from them because I 100% would have tried to do that.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago DanAZ-who paid? Season ticket holders,people who fly to games and tournaments from far away,donors and people who fund raise.
This does not include you. These are the same exact questions people on this board asked about Baron and LaForce's suspensions,transfers and DNP's (Coaches decision).I like Cox and Tate. Again,its totally within Cox's rights to keep it private. That wasn't the optics he chose.
The $$ for dedicated practice facility,charter flights and more $$ assistants won't come from the tooth fairy.
You want to do it without the boosters,gonna take deep runs in the NCAA. I am for one am sure he is up to it.
Whoa! I get it now... because you are a booster and gave $$ to the program you think you are entitled to know. If a booster ever asked me about what happened, wanted details of what happened when I got punched in the face by a St. Joe's player, I would have laughed at said booster/fan/entitled older person speaking noise to me. That was between me, my teammates (including my roommate), and the St. Joe's player.

Get the heck out of here, brother! None of yours, mine, or anyone else's business. Keep it in the family... in this case David Cox's basketball family. Stop making a case like you are owed something.

And who said I am not a donor? See there's this thing called the internet. You are on it now. It allows one to donate without actually handing over check in person in Rhode Island. Very presumptuous of you.
5 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Interesting point. Are citizens of RI entitled to transparency about activities of scholarship athletes that they are subsidizing with their tax dollars? If I did what has been described above it would be a police matter you would see in the newspaper. This is just a question, it is NOT an opinion. Good essay question.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting point. Are citizens of RI entitled to transparency about activities of scholarship athletes that they are subsidizing with their tax dollars? If I did what has been described above it would be a police matter you would see in the newspaper. This is just a question, it is NOT an opinion. Good essay question.
If a URI player is arrested or charged by the police you would see the matter in the newspaper. That didn’t happen here. If you had an issue with an owner of a business that would not be in the paper.

Saying RI taxpayers are subsidizing URI athletes scholarships with their tax dollars is a joke. I believe the state provides 9% of URI’s budget. Let’s just assume none of that whopping 9% covers scholarships.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I thought it was 6% from the state.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting point. Are citizens of RI entitled to transparency about activities of scholarship athletes that they are subsidizing with their tax dollars? If I did what has been described above it would be a police matter you would see in the newspaper. This is just a question, it is NOT an opinion. Good essay question.
If a URI player is arrested or charged by the police you would see the matter in the newspaper. That didn’t happen here. If you had an issue with an owner of a business that would not be in the paper.

Saying RI taxpayers are subsidizing URI athletes scholarships with their tax dollars is a joke. I believe the state provides 9% of URI’s budget. Let’s just assume none of that whopping 9% covers scholarships.
Is it even 9%? I thought it was lower.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Going to Siena.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

Is it even 9%? I thought it was lower.
I believe it’s 6%, maybe even lower.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Good for Dana. We visited Siena as part of our daughters college search this fall and it's a nice campus in a very nice suburb of Albany. They were very proud of the basketball team and they get very good attendance. They would make a great replacement for Fordham. 2 hours from Worcester right down the pike.
2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Nice program and nice places to live. Good for him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree good landing spot for Dana
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Still sad hes gone :/

Good luck at Siena!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......good conference match for his game.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Assuming it was his choice.. He left us

So whatever

I BLEED KEANEY BLUE
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What does Dana's departure do for our connection to greater Boston athletes? I think Jared helped URI get Dana to URI. I thought John now Austin Carrolls role as an assistant was to recruit the Boston area for us with their ties to AAU teams. Similarly, is it pure co-incidence that Jeff and Jermaine come from the same MD town, and Cox is from the DC area? Does maintaining good ties to these recruiting areas have anything to do with Roster Management? I recall a post on another thread lamenting the inactivity of URI Assistants on the bench during games. I also recall a Harrick quip that the first three priority of his assistants was recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. Being able to recruit high caliber talent has to be the highest priority for any head coach worth his salt.

Did business owners do URI a favor by not reporting Dana's transgressions to the police? I doubt that they would show such a courtesy to everyone.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago What does Dana's departure do for our connection to greater Boston athletes? I think Jared helped URI get Dana to URI. I thought John now Austin Carrolls role as an assistant was to recruit the Boston area for us with their ties to AAU teams. Similarly, is it pure co-incidence that Jeff and Jermaine come from the same MD town, and Cox is from the DC area? Does maintaining good ties to these recruiting areas have anything to do with Roster Management? I recall a post on another thread lamenting the inactivity of URI Assistants on the bench during games. I also recall a Harrick quip that the first three priority of his assistants was recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. Being able to recruit high caliber talent has to be the highest priority for any head coach worth his salt.

Did business owners do URI a favor by not reporting Dana's transgressions to the police? I doubt that they would show such a courtesy to everyone.
.......enough already, no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Did business owners do URI a favor by not reporting Dana's transgressions to the police? I doubt that they would show such a courtesy to everyone.
This "courtesy" is extended to normal folks all the time, speaking as someone who did police reporting regularly. Like, as someone who doesn't have any qualms about like, calling the police on drunken drivers on my way home, I was always shocked by how much other people were willing to let go.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago 1. What does Dana's departure do for our connection to greater Boston athletes? I think Jared helped URI get Dana to URI.
2. I thought John now Austin Carrolls role as an assistant was to recruit the Boston area for us with their ties to AAU teams.
3. Similarly, is it pure co-incidence that Jeff and Jermaine come from the same MD town, and Cox is from the DC area? Does maintaining good ties to these recruiting areas have anything to do with Roster Management?
4. I recall a post on another thread lamenting the inactivity of URI Assistants on the bench during games. I also recall a Harrick quip that the first three priority of his assistants was recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. Being able to recruit high caliber talent has to be the highest priority for any head coach worth his salt.

5. Did business owners do URI a favor by not reporting Dana's transgressions to the police? I doubt that they would show such a courtesy to everyone.
.......enough already, no?
Pretty depressing questions and statements here. But I’ll take a shot.
1. No I don’t think Tate leaving negatively effects recruiting in Boston. We don’t recruit much in Boston anyway. DMV is our sweet spot due to connections there.
2. Austin Carroll is an Assistant Coach very involved in game management. I never read that he was brought in to recruit Boston. We are recruiting a wide geographic area - not so much focused on New England. I think Austin is going a great job and we are fortunate to have him and his father her. Cox thinks very highly of both of them - that’s what counts.
3. Of course it is not coincidence that Cox, Harris and Harris come from the same area. Cox and Dowtin both graduated from St Johns College High School. Cox recruited and Signed Leggett also from St Johns. No coincidence at all - it’s networking. Walker, Harris, Long also from that area.
4. Don’t get your point. Are you saying Cox is lacking in recruiting focus and ability? I think he is a good recruiter and this years first 3 off the bench are all much better than last years first 3 off bench
5. Already answered by another poster
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Realistically, when I found out what he did I thought to myself "that is the most URI move a student could ever make" and wish he had succeeded. URI (and the emporium) are ridiculous with their tow policy on students cars. Idk if every college is like that. You dont have nearly enough housing for all students so people commute from home or down the line, then you have the audacity to charge hundreds of dollars a semester.

I swear this will be the last time I post on this subject, but I had to bump this up because it's a good summary of my feelings on the matter. I would just include that I wasn't asking for, or thinking it would have been prudent to be completely transparent on the situation, I just understood that leaving things up in the air and shrouded was casting a negative light on Dana and the longer it went on the more people would assume bad things about him. As far as I'm concerned it's not even up for debate the whole thing was handled very poorly, I'm not saying Dana is absolved, but I am saying Dana should still be here, playing and in good standing. The kid got frustrated and made a few bad choices, I still do that daily. The choices he made I'm sure were regrettable, but at some point you have to stand up for the kid, who stood up for you when your program was in flux. It can't be denied that Dana was very mature and did us all a great service when he instantly came out to support the new staff, it without question helped Cox and Thorr and all of us. What happened here is a bad look and I hope lessons are learned.
6 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Good luck to Dana! I viewed his ceiling as a "point forward" type who does a little of everything; Mekhi is looking like he'll develop into a rich man's version of this, with a lot better shooting but maybe less of the passing, just to my untrained eyes.
2 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago

I swear this will be the last time I post on this subject, but I had to bump this up because it's a good summary of my feelings on the matter. I would just include that I wasn't asking for, or thinking it would have been prudent to be completely transparent on the situation, I just understood that leaving things up in the air and shrouded was casting a negative light on Dana and the longer it went on the more people would assume bad things about him. As far as I'm concerned it's not even up for debate the whole thing was handled very poorly, I'm not saying Dana is absolved, but I am saying Dana should still be here, playing and in good standing. The kid got frustrated and made a few bad choices, I still do that daily. The choices he made I'm sure were regrettable, but at some point you have to stand up for the kid, who stood up for you when your program was in flux. It can't be denied that Dana was very mature and did us all a great service when he instantly came out to support the new staff, it without question helped Cox and Thorr and all of us. What happened here is a bad look and I hope lessons are learned.
Look how Hurley handled the Boutknight situation at UConn. Night and day, and the transgressions seem to be much worse in that case.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This was not up to Cox. You should compare how URI the school handled it to UConn the school. UConn hasn’t exactly done well with disciplining their athletes. Some would also say Hurley didn’t handle the Boswell situation very well at URI. People don’t know all the details of Dana’s situation and it will stay that way.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago This was not up to Cox. You should compare how URI the school handled it to UConn the school. UConn hasn’t exactly done well with disciplining their athletes. Some would also say Hurley didn’t handle the Boswell situation very well at URI. People don’t know all the details of Dana’s situation and it will stay that way.
Ya! You're in charge, you tell 'em!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago This was not up to Cox. You should compare how URI the school handled it to UConn the school. UConn hasn’t exactly done well with disciplining their athletes. Some would also say Hurley didn’t handle the Boswell situation very well at URI. People don’t know all the details of Dana’s situation and it will stay that way.
Bingo. Unfortunately, have to continue to allow speculation to fuel this ship.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Ya! You're in charge, you tell 'em!
Never said anything like that. Just stating facts that are known.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I hope Siena has ample parking accommodations.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Ok I lied, I'll probably never be done posting on this subject.

I never said this was on Cox and/or Thorr. I said it was up to them to stand up for the kid, to challenge the administration and at the very least come up with a better narrative and an actual scheduled suspension. If you want to debate those points please do.

You two (DC and 83) aren't saying anything new, it's well known that there are plenty of details we will never have, not relevant to my comments. I'm speaking to what we do know, the basics. It doesn't matter who made the decisions on how things were handled, it's up to Cox and Thorr to identify, clarify and classify events in a way that doesn't cast the wrong aspersions on Dana.

I've been very complimentary of both Cox and Bjorn on many occasions for many reasons, I'm not here crucifying either of them, I am here criticizing how this situation was handled by the whole administration including HC and AD (both being a part of the administrative structure).

1.) Do you guys think it was handled well? 2.) Do you guys think Cox thinks admin handled it well? I'm sure you both feel Cox and Bjorn haven't a single regret in how the whole thing was handled by the University? 3.) Most importantly, how was Dana supposed to feel swinging in the suspension wind with no clarification? All while the admin was letting "speculation fuel the ship."

Again, it doesn't matter what Dana did, it matters that the 'University' made it appear as though he did something crazy.

So, it's my opinion, that at some point in this you have to separate yourself from the committee of administrators towing the line and stand up for your player. Dana deserved better, and with folks just saying things like "let speculation fuel the ship" instead of speaking to the points made, that will continue to be my feeling on the subject.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Ok I lied, I'll probably never be done posting on this subject.

I never said this was on Cox and/or Thorr. I said it was up to them to stand up for the kid, to challenge the administration and at the very least come up with a better narrative and an actual scheduled suspension. If you want to debate those points please do.

You two (DC and 83) aren't saying anything new, it's well known that there are plenty of details we will never have, not relevant to my comments. I'm speaking to what we do know, the basics. It doesn't matter who made the decisions on how things were handled, it's up to Cox and Thorr to identify, clarify and classify events in a way that doesn't cast the wrong aspersions on Dana.

I've been very complimentary of both Cox and Bjorn on many occasions for many reasons, I'm not here crucifying either of them, I am here criticizing how this situation was handled by the whole administration including HC and AD (both being a part of the administrative structure).

1.) Do you guys think it was handled well? 2.) Do you guys think Cox thinks admin handled it well? I'm sure you both feel Cox and Bjorn haven't a single regret in how the whole thing was handled by the University? 3.) Most importantly, how was Dana supposed to feel swinging in the suspension wind with no clarification? All while the admin was letting "speculation fuel the ship."

Again, it doesn't matter what Dana did, it matters that the 'University' made it appear as though he did something crazy.

So, it's my opinion, that at some point in this you have to separate yourself from the committee of administrators towing the line and stand up for your player. Dana deserved better, and with folks just saying things like "let speculation fuel the ship" instead of speaking to the points made, that will continue to be my feeling on the subject.
How do you know he wasn’t stood up for?

I’ll wait.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

stop already. if you won't answer direct questions, but with a question than there is no reason for debate, I even marked some questions with numerical characters for ease of addressing.

I though, will answer your question. I've made it clear I don't claim to know what happened among the admin when deciding what to do, I only know what the public narrative was and it made it appear as though Dana was involved in something a lot crazier than the actual situation was. If that was on the administration then it was on Cox and Thorr as a part of that administration. Again, there are ways to make the punishment fit the crime, without reporting great detail, then the speculation would have ended. And once again in my opinion, Cox and Thorr should have been able to navigate this situation better. As far as standing up for the kid goes, you're inferring they said their peace with/to the admin, if that was the case (and I'd bet it was), it just wasn't good enough, because the admin did what they did anyway. That's kind of like sitting at attention not standing up.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So you’re saying the response should be, reinstate Dana, or else?

I’m just trying to understand.

Remove the animosity, trying to have a civil dialogue.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

No animosity at all, I was just hoping you would answer direct questions. Civil dialogue is the point.

Nope, I didn't say or even imply anyone should have threatened the administration, that would just be stupid. I said they needed to figure out a way to handle the situation that didn't leave the kid swinging in the wind.

You A) think it was handled well or B) think it could have been better handled?

answer A) and everyone in the administration is in the clear and it's all on Dana
answer B) and administration has lessons to be learned here, including Cox and Thorr.

I'll bet you a dollar that David Cox thinks about it in terms of what could have been done better to mitigate a tough situation.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago No animosity at all, I was just hoping you would answer direct questions. Civil dialogue is the point.

Nope, I didn't say or even imply anyone should have threatened the administration, that would just be stupid. I said they needed to figure out a way to handle the situation that didn't leave the kid swinging in the wind.

You A) think it was handled well or B) think it could have been better handled?

answer A) and everyone in the administration is in the clear and it's all on Dana
answer B) and administration has lessons to be learned here, including Cox and Thorr.

I'll bet you a dollar that David Cox thinks about it in terms of what could have been done better to mitigate a tough situation.
I’d bet you two dollars that he wanted Tate here, too.
0 x