1/18 | La Salle | 12:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/18 | La Salle | 12:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have mastered the art of winning ugly.

Do that against Duquesne and it's an L.

Yes it wasn't a shining moment for Cox in this one. Needed to react quicker when LaSalle closed the gap.

The good old NET rating will slip a bit.

Won't matter if they don't raise their level of play. We've seen them do it...but only sometimes.

We can't sit on a lead. Ever.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
please stop with this. Anyone who has watched sports for more than just this afternoon needs to understand this is not how it works.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I gotta hand it to the Explorers. That was a well practiced, well rehearsed, poorly executed 4 -7 pt play at the end of regulation there.

The first part was a success: sell the three point foul. I admit, we couldn't even see what happened in that corner, but it looked like a broadway performance, that worked.

The second part was a success: hit first two free throws.

The third part was mesa mesa: purposely toss ball high off the back of the rim for a chance for your best frontcourt player to get a close rebound.

The fourth part was mostly unsuccessful: frontcourt player goes for easy 2 instead of kicking it out for 3.

They only ended up with 4 points. Easily could have had 6 if he hit the three, got fouled, got the rebound on the intentional missed FT, and then kicked it out for another 3. 7 potential points if he get's fouled the second time as well.

I don't like to see the other team doing it, but I admire it for what it is: a very intelligent play with a trusted upperclassman member of the team trusted to carry it out.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Cox has a terrible strategy against the press. You have to attack (or at least look to attack) the basket once you break it. We slow it up.

And a terrible time-out strategy. Have to call the timeouts at the start of the run. I.e. when it went from 13 to 8. Can’t wait for a media timeout.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can't even imagine what page 3 and 4 of this thread look like :)
7 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

yeah, bar, everything is just hunky dory.

What do you think our future opponents are going to do after seeing the tape of the last 10 minutes of this game?

Cox had better figure that out, and quick.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
please stop with this. Anyone who has watched sports for more than just this afternoon needs to understand this is not how it works.
I mean, at this point you have to just accept that doombone will be doombone. Just have to let him yell into the wind and not engage.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

6,323 in attendance. Good turn out. The place sounded quiet on TV without the band and cheerleaders.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Doombone, we won.

Duquesne is a different team.

Again, we won.

We are 12-5.

I’ll take it.
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Ugly win but escaped with a W. Fatts played terrible and we still won. 20 bench points was nice! Long played fantastic. Move on to the next one.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

This is one of those games I wanna take the win and leave. The players looked tired today and weren't moving as quick as I'd like.

Also what the hell was going on with Tyrese? 0-5 3 pters

Hoping for a big crowd on wednesday, Duquesne is much better than Lasalle.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Somewhat avoiding the actual game of play critique here are my observations/opinions:
1. We play an ugly, defensive, brand of basketball. It makes our wins uglier and less “sexy”
2. The above makes sense because our offense is below average
3. We play to the level of our opponent on most occasions
4. We out-athlete, and out physical, most teams
5. Jeff and Cyril have regressed offensively (i still believe in them)
6. We don’t motivate ourselves in smaller games. The bigger the game, the bigger the atmosphere, the better we play. This could be a good thing down the stretch, but worries me against Fordham, GW, etc.
7. I’ve never seen a team pass less on the break
8. Our defense is very good and that can win us a lot of games if our offense ever turns on - i think we’re most similar to STL in conference (who just gave Dayton a game)
9. We’re not the smartest team
10. I would press and drop into a zone if i was the opposing coach
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Ugly doesn't bother me. Never has.

Ugly is actually a skill that comes in handy in those 8/9 games in the tourney.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dropped 5 spots in KenPom due to shit quality of play.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Since league play our defense has gotten better and our offense has gotten worse.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm going to offer my opinions whether some of you like it or not. So keep bitching, I don't give a flying crap.

I've been a fan of this program for 55 years. Yeah and I DO know something about basketball.

Do you think everybody is happy the way we played? Hardly anybody last I checked.

BTW, finger issue or not, Cyril's FT shooting is making French's of SLU look good.

This is going to bite us again. So sorry if it's not what some of you want to hear. Tough.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Since league play our defense has gotten better and our offense has gotten worse.
And agree, it’s frustrating, but when their offense is failing them, they win on defense.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
7. I’ve never seen a team pass less on the break
This is the new normal for college hoops. Guy dribbling on the break shoots it.
Doesn't matter if it's 2 on 1, 3 on 1...the guy dribbling...shoots it. And, it's not just Rhody...watch some other games this weekend...
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Since league play our defense has gotten better and our offense has gotten worse.
And agree, it’s frustrating, but when their offense is failing them, they win on defense.
That’s why you have to take a 3 on 2 opportunity against the press after you break it. Sometimes risking a turnover for a layup/dunk is the right play.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

If you want to increase rankings, stop worrying about kicking the crap out of lesser teams.

Concentrate on actually beating the better teams.

That's what Cox seems to be doing here, and I'm totally on board with it.

Let's put it this way: beat LaSalle, beat Duque, and then actually beat Dayton on the road, is going to play out a heck of a lot better in the ranking systems than...

beat LaSalle by 15, beat Duque by 9, and then lose to Dayton.

The source of most of you guys' dismay is that you are lamenting the fact that this team isn't building up it's NET rank on a diet of weaker teams, in the hopes that it will help when you lose to Dayton and St. Louis.

My thought process is completely different to that: don't lose to Dayton, and especially to St. Louis, and Richmond. Then you don't have to worry about "only" beating LaSalle by 3 points.

We are never going to agree on this. I'm not going to convince you that you are wrong and you aren't going to convince me that I am wrong, on this particular topic.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago If you want to increase rankings, stop worrying about kicking the crap out of lesser teams.

Concentrate on actually beating the better teams.

That's what Cox seems to be doing here, and I'm totally on board with it.

Let's put it this way: beat LaSalle, beat Duque, and then actually beat Dayton on the road, is going to play out a heck of a lot better in the ranking systems than...

beat LaSalle by 15, beat Duque by 9, and then lose to Dayton.

The source of most of you guys' dismay is that you are lamenting the fact that this team isn't building up it's NET rank on a diet of weaker teams, in the hopes that it will help when you lose to Dayton and St. Louis.

My thought process is completely different to that: don't lose to Dayton, and especially to St. Louis, and Richmond. Then you don't have to worry about "only" beating LaSalle by 3 points.

We are never going to agree on this. I'm not going to convince you that you are wrong and you aren't going to convince me that I am wrong, on this particular topic.
How quickly people forget that we just DOMINATED VCU in their home gym, 2 games ago.

So what we only won by 3 today.

LaSalle didn’t show up to lay down. I love games like that for us. Builds character.
8 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

The problem lies that people have already marked down Dayton in Dayton, Ohio, has a L on their calendar, so we have to destroy LaSalle in order to compensate, else their soothsayer skills aren't going to pan out.

I say, I don't put down anyone as a L until after the game is played. That's when it becomes an L, and not before.

Just keep winning.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The problem lies that people have already marked down Dayton in Dayton, Ohio, has a L on their calendar, so we have to destroy LaSalle in order to compensate, else their soothsayer skills aren't going to pan out.

I say, I don't put down anyone as a L until after the game is played. That's when it becomes an L, and not before.

Just keep winning.
Bravo, brother.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6,323 fans today!!

Kudos to Rhody Ram Fans for turning out

School doesn’t start until Wednesday. Student turnout was quite low

It’s freezing cold, snow predicted but we still got 6,323 people cheering

Well done Rhody Nation!
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Certainly not a game worthy of highlight reels. But you have to give at least some credit to LaSalle. Their zone hurt us in the second half and they played with energy. They have some good shooters who kept them in the game. I disagree with those who say they have no talent. That said we made some mistakes especially Cyril’s foul on the three point shot at the end.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago 6,323 in attendance. Good turn out. The place sounded quiet on TV without the band and cheerleaders.
It wasn't a quiet crowd and some band members were there. I agree it wasn't exactly a ruckus. So on TV how many times did Martin actually charge?Live and biased it looked like the second one was a bad call for sure.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Antwan Walker has to play more....a LOT more. Anyway, the students will be back on Wednesday and we need to fill the RC and kick some ass on Duquesne.
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Prediction for Duquesne: 7,500+

LFG!!!!!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fun Fact: 8 of the first 9 teams in A10 standings have season records of at least .667.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

URI will need to shoot better than 40.8 FG and 23.5% three pointers to beat Duquesne. Hoping for a huge crowd on wednesday.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe this was one of those games where we were tired.

Defense was solid. Prolly got too overconfident and relaxed.

Did what we had to do.

Just keep winning.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Tyrese and Fatts shot 35% and committed 12 turnovers between them.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yea, I admit I have lost all perspective on the guy I love to hate, Mr. Nonchalant, Tyrese Martin, who was 0-5 (none even close) on threes for the game and in the New Year has hit on 2-22, 9%. Happy New Year, Tyrese!! But, hell, he is one terrific rebounder!!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Same view as others. They may have won but it was a CRAP performance. They play like this versus Duquesne and will lose by double digits. How can a 14 point lead evaporate so soon and become a 1 pt deficit late in a game? Horrid offensive sets in that span. Just passed the ball along the perimeter until little shot clock time left and had Fatts drive to the basket out of control either taking a very low percentage shot or turning it over. Russell had 7 turnovers all by himself. Coach Cox did not seem to take any noticeable action to correct this letting the team do it AGAIN and AGAIN. Absolutely atrocious FT shooting most of the game until the very end. Not at all pleased with the effort out there today.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

At this point in the season I just want wins. We are currently in a tie for 3rd place in the A10. On Wednesday, we have Duquesne and a win will have us in 2nd place. Just win. Good, bad or ugly. Just keep winning.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely frustrating watching this team play to the level of competition but we did get the win

Somehow we need to go 10-3 to get to that 14-4 going to be very difficult just because of our consistency game to game
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

We won folks, was it our best performance? No absolutely not. Its still a W the big game is Wednesday night. We play like we did against VCU PC Bama or WVU and we win. If we find ourselves on the bubble this victory wont be the deciding factor.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Obviously need to play better but we won so I am happy with that
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

12-5 next
2 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yet again, disaster averted...and as the poster before me said...next!
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I remember Tyson Wheeler's freshman season. Al Skinner days. We lost like, 9 games, by 3 points or less. Had a losing season. And people said, if we won all those games we lost by 3 points or less, we wouldn't be a bad team.

Now, 22-23 years later, we win all those close ones, and people try to suggest we are a bad team.

I'm not buying it. Winning the close ones doesn't make you a bad team, it makes you a badass team.
4 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Looking at the box score...
How far can we go playing 8 guys?
Dowtin and fatts play a lot of minutes.
Martin played 30 minutes today. Didn’t notice...
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I don't know, it's a different topic for sure.

Harrick only played 8 guys on the Elite 8 team. That was his rotation: 8 guys. After the season, people asked him if he would consider doing a 9 man rotation and he answered like he was peeved by the question: "8 man rotation! That's what I do!"

Of course, with an 8 man rotation, you have to get lucky on the injury factor, so there is that. They were lucky in 1998. You can't make it that far these days without some luck along the way.
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhodysk wrote: 4 years ago Looking at the box score...
How far can we go playing 8 guys?
Dowtin and fatts play a lot of minutes.
Martin played 30 minutes today. Didn’t notice...
When they all play atleast 15 minutes it gives ample time to get guys rest. Lots of teams play an 8 man rotation. Our problem is literally no one on the bench after those 8 if someone gets hurt.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago 6,323 in attendance. Good turn out. The place sounded quiet on TV without the band and cheerleaders.
It wasn't a quiet crowd and some band members were there. I agree it wasn't exactly a ruckus. So on TV how many times did Martin actually charge?Live and biased it looked like the second one was a bad call for sure.
.......I thought the TV replays showed both were the correct call.....that’s just me......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Definitely was not a quiet crowd. The band was great as usual. The band had an excellent turnout.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

8 men is fine if you have at least one guard on the bench. But this is the hand they were a dealt and they will have make it work as best they can.

Winning close games is a way better sign than losing close games...means you know how to win and it's part of the programs culture.

I'm in a good mood today :D
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Definitely was not a quiet crowd. The band was great as usual. The band had an excellent turnout.
It wasn't quiet, but the students do make it louder and more fun.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Ugly doesn't bother me. Never has.

Ugly is actually a skill that comes in handy in those 8/9 games in the tourney.
.......but she sure can cook...
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938