Week #11 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: Week #11 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago My thinking is that Dayton is a huge favorite to win the league and we will be fighting for 2nd, 3rd or 4th place. Therefore another VCU loss gives us a leg up on them in the standings.

Standings dont matter as much as how our numbers look in the big picture.

If we can win at VCU. We look like a good bet to get a bye.

We dont want VCU to fall off because we want them to remain a quad 1 win.
VCU will be top 75 so the road win is securely a Quad 1 win. They are unlikely to get a top 30 NET so a win against them at home was going to be Quad 2 anyway. I'm glad Dayton won. If the season plays out the way we expect, URI has a much more realistic chance of being a 2 seed than beating Dayton for a 1 seed. Let everyone else lose and better our chances to come in 2nd. The path we take to come in second in the A10 likely has us dancing.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

League is wide open 2-6. Any one of us, Richmond, SLU, VCU, or Duquesne can finish 2nd.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Alabama beating Auburn tonight would be good for our numbers.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
It’s nice to have the #1 Player in the Nation in the A10.

It’s also nice to have his younger brother at URI :D
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago League is wide open 2-6. Any one of us, Richmond, SLU, VCU, or Duquesne can finish 2nd.
Dayton could also could finish 2nd. We are only 3 game in to A10 Conference Play. Long, Long way to go.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dayton has a tough road trip ahead.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Anyone watching this Bama Auburn game. Bama up 8 with 5 to go in the first half.

Ive been wondering if Alabama, PC and VcU dance then thats 3 dancing teams we beat. How do we look then?
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Anyone watching this Bama Auburn game. Bama up 8 with 5 to go in the first half.

Ive been wondering if Alabama, PC and VcU dance then thats 3 dancing teams we beat. How do we look then?
Just tuned in - was watching PC when I saw the bama score in a trailer.

Look like rock starts then
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Come on Alabama, make believe its a football game.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

PC defeats St Johns
0 x
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Bama up 16 with 3 mins to go
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Anyone watching this Bama Auburn game. Bama up 8 with 5 to go in the first half.

I am thinking that the early March games against St. Louis and Dayton in the Ryan Center are going to be really important.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

83-64 Bama
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

And Bama beats Auburn by 19!. Thanks Nate Oats!
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bama's NET is 44 and they are starting to play much better under Oats. It's not inconceivable that they climb into Top 35 and make our W against them a double digit Quad 1 win. Stranger things have happened.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's top 30 but yes it's possible....PC even though they are playing much better won't get there due to their horrendous OOC performance.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Why are people hoping URI lands at #2? Early for that right?

Glad we beat VCU? We always beat VCU.

Dayton? We beat them too. So we will have to see them up close if they are the run away #1.

I am more worried about the trip to Olean. Any game against Umass. Do we visit Fordham? Saint Louis? Those are the teams that beat us.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Why are people hoping URI lands at #2? Early for that right?

Dayton? We beat them too. So we will have to see them up close if they are the run away #1.

I am more worried about the trip to Olean. Any game against Umass. Do we visit Fordham? Saint Louis? Those are the teams that beat us.
I’m hoping URI lands at #1

I’ve been to Dayton’s Arena and seen Jim Baron teams beat very good Dayton teams there. Games where URI was given little or no chance to win. If Jim Baron can go into Dayton and do it..........stranger things have happened.

My recommendation is to get your tickets for Toppin vs Toppin early if you don’t have them already.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Why are people hoping URI lands at #2? Early for that right?

I’ve been to Dayton’s Arena and seen Jim Baron teams beat very good Dayton teams there. Games where URI was given little or no chance to win. If Jim Baron can go into Dayton and do it..........stranger things have happened.

My recommendation is to get your tickets for Toppin vs Toppin early if you don’t have them already.

Those Dayton teams didn't have the frontrunner for NPOY / weren't talked about as being a Final Four contender.

Going to be a very very tall order to beat them.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dayton doesn't have much depth as do we......but what they do have is a very good starting 5...…

You can't just focus on Obi, or others will beat you.

I think we can possibly beat them here.....at their place doubt it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Those Dayton teams didn't have the frontrunner for NPOY / weren't talked about as being a Final Four contender.

Going to be a very very tall order to beat them.
Those Dayton Teams were strong. URI had Dayton’s number much like they have VCUs now.

Dayton was picked to finish in the A10 Preseason Poll #3 this season. Everyone knew of Obi Toppin preseason, he is getting national recognition now, but he was good last season too.

I’m not giving up the possibility of beating Dayton once, or even twice, or even 3 times with the A10 Tournament.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Richmond just lost their very good 2G Blake Francis for 4-6 weeks with a fractured sternum. Mason yesterday also lost their star Justin Kier for the year. Very tough injuries for them and the league. In terms of UR it will be very difficult for them to keep stacking wins without Francis, he was a major factor in their turnaround this season.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Also of note, Duquesne was #67 in Kenpom before last night's OT nailbiter against Fordham. They are now down to #80.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago Also of note, Duquesne was #67 in Kenpom before last night's OT nailbiter against Fordham. They are now down to #80.

that's why it's going to be very difficult to move NET rankings from here. You can move up 14 spots with a win over Auburn and move down 14 spots with a win over Fordham. As is currently constituted, our schedule only has 2 remaining Q1 games (Dayton home and away) and 5 Q2 games. We also have 4 Q3s and 3 Q4s.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago Also of note, Duquesne was #67 in Kenpom before last night's OT nailbiter against Fordham. They are now down to #80.

that's why it's going to be very difficult to move NET rankings from here. You can move up 14 spots with a win over Auburn and move down 14 spots with a win over Fordham. As is currently constituted, our schedule only has 2 remaining Q1 games (Dayton home and away) and 5 Q2 games. We also have 4 Q3s and 3 Q4s.
The Cartel Designed NET in action
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Duquesne went from 47 to 53 in NET.

Dayton, Duquesne, URI, Richmond and St. Louis have all moved up in NET since A-10 play has started. VCU only down 5 spots despite going 2-2.

NET doesn’t hurt the A-10. The committee only utilizing NET when it wants to, hurts the A-10.
Last edited by URI2006_Andy 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Have you looked at the OOC schedule for duquesne this year? The lack of a move after a win has alot to do with having no true quality wins to bolster that lackluster performance against Fordham that didnt cover the line. On the other hand rhody has several quality wins. You really do not think that beating Saint Louis at Saint Louis won't move the NET ranki ng a decent amount? Or beating duquesne of VCU at home? Nvm the two Dayton games and couple other top 100 NET teams in A10. Also some of our other wins are improving and can move up a quadrant if they continue to improve a la providence north texas or bama. The duquesne move has more to do with their lack of strength of schedule then anything. Just win on game at a time and the ranking will take care of itself.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

FYI, we play St.Louis at home this year. Rest of your points I agree with.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Our wins ,especially over good teams are like an investment into a good stock. Our portfolio will do better then Duquesne over time.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Dayton doesn't have much depth as do we......but what they do have is a very good starting 5...…

You can't just focus on Obi, or others will beat you.

I think we can possibly beat them here.....at their place doubt it.
Why do you say Dayton doesn’t have much depth. They have 9 players averaging over 10 mins/game.
Against VCU they had 8 players with 16+ minutes and the 9th player had 8 minutes. How much depth are you expecting?
Against VCU Rhody had 5 players with 16+ minutes (they did have 8 players with 10+ mins).
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Have you looked at the OOC schedule for duquesne this year? The lack of a move after a win has alot to do with having no true quality wins to bolster that lackluster performance against Fordham that didnt cover the line. On the other hand rhody has several quality wins. You really do not think that beating Saint Louis at Saint Louis won't move the NET ranki ng a decent amount? Or beating duquesne of VCU at home? Nvm the two Dayton games and couple other top 100 NET teams in A10. Also some of our other wins are improving and can move up a quadrant if they continue to improve a la providence north texas or bama. The duquesne move has more to do with their lack of strength of schedule then anything. Just win on game at a time and the ranking will take care of itself.

they lost 13 spots after a game they played last night. any movement is going to be based mostly on their most recent opponent. there OOC schedule is already built into their numbers. so unless all of there OOC opponents lost last night, Duquesne's drop has more to do with Fordham then their prior schedule.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yes to some degree but with them having no strong win to anchor the rankings (a la our vcu win with the richmond or brown lose) and buffer from drastic ranking movements. They are more susceptible to moving more drastically due to the lack of other strong wins and strength of schedule. This system will constantly move every day. The stronger your schedule was and the more strong wins you have the less drastic movements will occur. It is pretty simple. This is the case because Duquesne does not have many loses or close loses due to the week schedule so the ranking system hasnt had the opportunity to penalize it or shift it drastically. It also has to do with who duquesne opponents played as well and the fact they did not even come close to covering the number. All I am saying is just relax if we win the games we are supposed to we will be fine.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Yes to some degree but with them having no strong win to anchor the rankings (a la our vcu win with the richmond or brown lose) and buffer from drastic ranking movements. They are more susceptible to moving more drastically due to the lack of other strong wins and strength of schedule. This system will constantly move every day. The stronger your schedule was and the more strong wins you have the less drastic movements will occur. It is pretty simple. This is the case because Duquesne does not have many loses or close loses due to the week schedule so the ranking system hasnt had the opportunity to penalize it or shift it drastically. It also has to do with who duquesne opponents played as well and the fact they did not even come close to covering the number. All I am saying is just relax if we win the games we are supposed to we will be fine.

good points. we'll see how it plays out. i'm relaxed. :)
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok so Dayton at St Louie tomorrow we pull for Dayton ??

Saturday St Bona at VCU who do we want in that one ???
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Western Kentucky over Old Dominion tonight, 71-69. The Hilltoppers pulled off a big late game comeback
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Ok so Dayton at St Louie tomorrow we pull for Dayton ??

Saturday St Bona at VCU who do we want in that one ???
I would think Dayton and SLU.

VCU is our best win at the moment - but it should stay Q1. SLU being a bit better gives us potentially more opportunities for a high win.

I want Dayton to go 16-2 in conference. They’d be a top 5 win (2x) if that were the case :D
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton is favored by 7.5 points at Saint Louis. Seems like a lot of points for Dayton to cover. I wouldn’t be surprised to see SLU win the game.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Not related to us, but #8 Oregon just lost at Washington State tonight by 11, 72-61.

Moral of the story, it is damn hard to win on the road in college basketball
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago Western Kentucky over Old Dominion tonight, 71-69. The Hilltoppers pulled off a big late game comeback
WKU, N Texas, and Manhattan all won Thursday night. MTSU lost in OT.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s very scary all these top 10 teams losing to unranked teams as if we are squarely on the bubble they will all have top 10 wins and we won’t assuming we don’t beat Dayton
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Bama's NET is 44 and they are starting to play much better under Oats. It's not inconceivable that they climb into Top 35 and make our W against them a double digit Quad 1 win. Stranger things have happened.
Right. So, root for 'bama to do this, but...not PC. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Bama's NET is 44 and they are starting to play much better under Oats. It's not inconceivable that they climb into Top 35 and make our W against them a double digit Quad 1 win. Stranger things have happened.
This who to root for gets a lot of discussion,

If I root for the team(s) that we are instructed to on this board does it have an impact on the result?
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Ramster, I doubt very much that SLU will beat Dayton . Dayton would have to have a terrible shooting nigh to lose because SLU just can't score
enough to win this game . They also don't have the depth or the height to defend . They do rebound well for a smaller team though. I would
definitely take Dayton and give up as much as 8 1/2 . They may stay close for 25 minutes but they will be worn down by the speed and depth
of Dayton . Iwill be totally shockedif Dayton loses . SLU would have to have a very uncharacteristic hot shooting night while also defending
at their best , a tall order for them .
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SLU Dayton is sold out for Friday Night

https://slubillikens.com/news/2020/1/16 ... d-out.aspx
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I root for the team(s) that we are instructed to on this board does it have an impact on the result?
That’s a good point Ramster I have thought the same thing doesn’t really matter who we pull for but it’s fun to discuss though
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I can’t see St. Louis taking down the flyers.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dayton historically has had more trouble with certain other teams.

St. Louis on the road is one of them....same for Bonnies at Olean.

And of course us quite a few times.

Doesn't mean they will lose tonight...but it could definitely be a close one.

At this point there is certainly a gap between the Flyers and the rest of the league...this game might be a good barometer of how big the gap is.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago

That’s a good point Ramster I have thought the same thing doesn’t really matter who we pull for but it’s fun to discuss though
I think the question means - should I be happy with a Dayton win or a SLU? Which is better for URI’s Tournament chances?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Billikens imo are pretty similar to us.....

Good rebounding and generally good defensively.

Somewhat offensively challenged.

We'll see how it goes.
0 x