1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy stats from this game
  • URI 10 steals while St Joes had zero!
  • Langevine led URI in assists with 3 and also led in steals with 3
  • Langevine with 9 offensive rebounds, 15 total rebounds.
  • URI hit only 10-21 FTs
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

After this poorly handled and ridiculous 1 game suspension of Jeff Dowtin the damn NCAA owes us one for Sheppard.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry but this game felt like a loss to me. I realize that Dowtin being out of the lineup was unexpected and required the team to play with only 1 true ball handler, but most of my issues have nothing to do with Dowtin not being on the court, a player who most on this board would agree has under-performed this year. I'll start with Jermaine, I've tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt in his 1.5 years here, but if he cant dominate against a depleted and undersized St Joe's front-court, then who is he going to dominate against? I guess when you're a 4-star recruit that unfairly comes with higher expectations, he's a role player at best on this team with limited upside. Next Tyrese, you see him play against VCU and think what kind of player he could be and then we get a performance like tonight which is more the norm, bad shot selection, allowing his man to beat him for backdoor layups 3x, and playing with little energy or emotion. Cyril has been in a funk lately with his offense but the guy just brings it every single game and his leadership is evident on the floor, limited offensively especially when he puts the ball on the floor. Biggest disappointment for me was the way Cox coached tonight, not sure what his plan was after he found out Jeff would be out, but if the plan was to hoist terrible shots from the perimeter and not post anyone at the foul line vs a team who play ZONE ALL game, then his plan worked perfect. Trip after trip we took poor shots and rarely tried to get anything to the basket in the half court offense. The team played with little energy and seem unmotivated at times, very similar to the Brown game. He allowed the only player on their team (Daly) who can score to continually drive to the basket at will, never went to a zone vs a team who is actually a worse shooting team than us, it just made no sense to not zone this team, especially when we got into foul trouble. At one point I saw Cyril guarding him out on the 3 point line, i mean how does that happen? The game was just brutal to watch, we didnt hit our first 3 pointer until 9:23 remaining in the game and at the 7:56 mark we actually had a 3 on 1 fast break and missed 3 layups, with a chance to stretch the lead to 8, I'm not even sure how thats possible. Not sure of anything positive to take from this game and St Joe's has to be the worst D1 team i've seen in years, how on earth did they beat UConn.. rant over.. onto LaSalle.

‘Sorry but this game felt like a loss to me’...hmmm interesting take. Well for starters 1) Rhody won the game, so even when they have a sloppy half but get the W, it never feels like a loss. 2) we were w/o Jeff and found out 90 mins before tip. 3) this was a conference game on the road, they are never easy
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago After this poorly handled and ridiculous 1 game suspension of Jeff Dowtin the damn NCAA owes us one for Sheppard.
Sheppard isn’t getting on the court until next year. He is a mute point this year
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Cyril was playing Daly at times due to switches on ball screens. That is the luxury with Cyril he can switch a ball screen and has the foot speed to stay with guards and wing players. He is an elite defender. But for the most part Tyrese, Mekkhi and Jacob matched up with Daly. Against a team like them we were able to switch all ball screens so that is why at times Cyril and even Antwan were on Daly.

bar i don't think it was just ball screens. and even if it was, they would always switch back, but tonight cyril stayed with daly.
It was never by design for Cyril to be on Daly, it was always on ball screens. Cyril was always on Longpre or their other big. And since all they do is ball screens for Daly would end up switching on him. Read the post game article by Koch, it is mentioned that Cox had the bigs switching all ball screens in the 2nd half.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Cyril was playing Daly at times due to switches on ball screens. That is the luxury with Cyril he can switch a ball screen and has the foot speed to stay with guards and wing players. He is an elite defender. But for the most part Tyrese, Mekkhi and Jacob matched up with Daly. Against a team like them we were able to switch all ball screens so that is why at times Cyril and even Antwan were on Daly.

bar i don't think it was just ball screens. and even if it was, they would always switch back, but tonight cyril stayed with daly.
It was never by design for Cyril to be on Daly, it was always on ball screens. Cyril was always on Longpre or their other big. And since all they do is ball screens for Daly would end up switching on him. Read the post game article by Koch, it is mentioned that Cox had the bigs switching all ball screens in the 2nd half.
ok...IF that's the case, then i was wrong about him intentionally guarding Daly, but the strategy to have cyril stay with him after a ball screen is not something they've done in the past and cyril did a very good job on him.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Dayton was tied at the half @ St Joes and only won by 13
UConn lost to them at Home.

Point being that anything can happen and at the D1 level, specifically in conference play, winning on the road is hard. It’s even harder when you lose your starting PG of 4 years 1 hour before tip.

I love our length. Forget the first half and move on to the next game with a much needed W.
11 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I read burn the first half tape but with 13 minutes left in the game Rhody was down by 7. If someone is going to burn tape, could they make it the first 27 minutes of play.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ok...IF that's the case, then i was wrong about him intentionally guarding Daly, but the strategy to have cyril stay with him after a ball screen is not something they've done in the past and cyril did a very good job on him.
There must have been a lot of ball screens then because Langevine was on Daly a lot and caused a lot of havoc on Daly. First half and early part of second half there were times it seemed nobody was guarding Daly as Daly seemed open for threes and had his way easily passing the ball plus seemed to gather a number of rebounds.

It was apparent things had changed when Langevine was on Daly like a cheap suit.

However Langevine got on Daly it worked. maybe Langevine should have guarded him the entire game with Walker on Longpre.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Next up LaSalle and then (15-2) Duquesne who won at home in an OT Squeaker vs Fordham.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yet, and still, when this team does achieve, you fair weather fans will be back here, waving your Keaney flags, and donning your Keaney blues jerseys as if you always believed in this team. You have great games, you have nail biters, you have losses, and you have clunkers. We won this game despite having a completely different game plan when landing in Philly. Kudos to this team for fighting through adversity and making the proper adjustments to do what really matters...FUCKING WIN!

Go Rhody.

The naysayers, go fly a fricking kite! You don’t deserve these kids, and they damn sure are better without your fickle “woah, is me” attitudes.

Again, GO RHODY!!!
10 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Their entire offense is ball screens for Daly and let him do his thing. They have no one else. So yes Cyril did end up on him quite a few times.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Home against LaSalle should be a rockin Ryan Center
1 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

17 point swing in last 13 minutes on the road - can I get a HELL YEAH!!
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Down 47-37 with 17 minutes to go, from there it was 34-14 run by us to win by 10. All of that was propelled by turning up the D and Fatts.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

A win, is a win, is a WIN.

Win ugly or win pretty, IDGAF.

Just find a way to keep doing it!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I specifically did not post any sort of diatribe during the rough parts of this game (oh buddy did I want to post!), and I’m glad I didn’t. There is no way around the fact that for 25 minutes or so we just had that look where you wonder how this could be the same team that just went to VCU and won. That team is infuriating to watch, I’m just being honest. But the team that played the final 10 or 15 minutes made up for it - that’s not just my opinion or whatever, the scoreboard makes it an objective fact. Even that final stretch was far from perfect; there were missed opportunities and some poor shots and some mistakes, but those things are going to happen. It’s much easier to live with them when you can plainly see that they give a damn and are busting their asses. Definitely do NOT want to harp back on the Brown game tonight, but the really upsetting thing about that game was not that they looked bad at times, it’s that the light could have come on at any time like it did tonight and it just never did. That’s the danger of playing like this, but it is at least good that they are talented enough to flip the switch when they have to. It’s playing with fire a bit and it would be great to just blow the doors off these types of opponents, but you just can’t get that kind of focus out of college-aged kids 30+ times a year. The important thing on nights like tonight is not did you look like a juggernaut but did you do any harm to your resume that you can’t undo. They didn’t. So I’m good.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Saint Joseph's postgame.

4 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Thanks Bill! Appreciate it!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry but this game felt like a loss to me. I realize that Dowtin being out of the lineup was unexpected and required the team to play with only 1 true ball handler, but most of my issues have nothing to do with Dowtin not being on the court, a player who most on this board would agree has under-performed this year. I'll start with Jermaine, I've tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt in his 1.5 years here, but if he cant dominate against a depleted and undersized St Joe's front-court, then who is he going to dominate against? I guess when you're a 4-star recruit that unfairly comes with higher expectations, he's a role player at best on this team with limited upside. Next Tyrese, you see him play against VCU and think what kind of player he could be and then we get a performance like tonight which is more the norm, bad shot selection, allowing his man to beat him for backdoor layups 3x, and playing with little energy or emotion. Cyril has been in a funk lately with his offense but the guy just brings it every single game and his leadership is evident on the floor, limited offensively especially when he puts the ball on the floor. Biggest disappointment for me was the way Cox coached tonight, not sure what his plan was after he found out Jeff would be out, but if the plan was to hoist terrible shots from the perimeter and not post anyone at the foul line vs a team who play ZONE ALL game, then his plan worked perfect. Trip after trip we took poor shots and rarely tried to get anything to the basket in the half court offense. The team played with little energy and seem unmotivated at times, very similar to the Brown game. He allowed the only player on their team (Daly) who can score to continually drive to the basket at will, never went to a zone vs a team who is actually a worse shooting team than us, it just made no sense to not zone this team, especially when we got into foul trouble. At one point I saw Cyril guarding him out on the 3 point line, i mean how does that happen? The game was just brutal to watch, we didnt hit our first 3 pointer until 9:23 remaining in the game and at the 7:56 mark we actually had a 3 on 1 fast break and missed 3 layups, with a chance to stretch the lead to 8, I'm not even sure how thats possible. Not sure of anything positive to take from this game and St Joe's has to be the worst D1 team i've seen in years, how on earth did they beat UConn.. rant over.. onto LaSalle.
You could have saved yourself and us a lot of time by simply typing:

"I don't know what I'm talking about."
I mean...I get that the first half was bad - but basketball is a results based business. Literally the best outcome you can get with the NET is a double digit win on the road.

Road wins are inherently tough. Period.

Add into that the fact that the senior leader of our team was unjustly suspended from the game with negative zero prep time - had we lost that game I would’ve been furious at the NCAA not us.

Christ almighty. If Tom Brady was suspended before kickoff I’m not sure people would be saying the Pats suck if they lost.

30+ game minutes of senior leadership taken off the floor right before the tip. No prep time, so you immediately throw the scout out the window. Of course the team was going to be discombobulated losing their leader without any warning.

Winning is all that matters. This team has a massive sack. Go Rhody.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Yet, and still, when this team does achieve, you fair weather fans will be back here, waving your Keaney flags, and donning your Keaney blues jerseys as if you always believed in this team. You have great games, you have nail biters, you have losses, and you have clunkers. We won this game despite having a completely different game plan when landing in Philly. Kudos to this team for fighting through adversity and making the proper adjustments to do what really matters...FUCKING WIN!

Go Rhody.

The naysayers, go fly a fricking kite! You don’t deserve these kids, and they damn sure are better without your fickle “woah, is me” attitudes.

Again, GO RHODY!!!
Says the guy that's not even a URI fan. Why don't you follow through on your threat to leave the board?
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Yet, and still, when this team does achieve, you fair weather fans will be back here, waving your Keaney flags, and donning your Keaney blues jerseys as if you always believed in this team. You have great games, you have nail biters, you have losses, and you have clunkers. We won this game despite having a completely different game plan when landing in Philly. Kudos to this team for fighting through adversity and making the proper adjustments to do what really matters...FUCKING WIN!

Go Rhody.

Again, GO RHODY!!!
Says the guy that's not even a URI fan. Why don't you follow through on your threat to leave the board?
What’s pathetic about you, is your obsession with me. Do yourself a favor, clown. Seek help. Block me. And lastly, STFU.
3 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

DC, I hear ya, but it’s not worth it. It’s the same few dummies who keep repeating themselves in every thread. You can’t get to worked up about it because then you’ll become insane just like them. If someone can’t recognize the adversity that the team faced last night and isnt happy that we came out with a win, they’re a lost cause.
7 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago After this poorly handled and ridiculous 1 game suspension of Jeff Dowtin the damn NCAA owes us one for Sheppard.
Sheppard isn’t getting on the court until next year. He is a mute point this year
Sheppard can’t speak? ;-)
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Go Rhody.

Again, GO RHODY!!!
Good comeback win last night but I must say, all you "rah-rah" fans that try to put a positive spin on every terrible performance - get your heads out of your ass! This team/coach is just not that good.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The Keaney Blue and Rhody hoops fan community is too small for cannibalism or running folks off, regardless of their motivation or reason for being a fan. My suggestion again, stay out of game threads if you don't want to be taken aback by the emotional rants that litter them when we aren't playing our best.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would like to see us get back to sharing the ball on offense against LaSalle.

Our assist numbers are horrible lately.

However the St. Joes game could be excused to a point due to losing Jeff at the last minute.

We can get away with 15 minutes of good basketball against a team like them, but against better teams the one on one play will cost us.

Winning ugly is what we do. Winning is great, but the ugly part has to change.

bar, the problem on this board, is that too many here are more focused on being critical of others rather than discussing the team, coach, program etc.

Calling others dummies, idiots, whatever accomplishes nothing whatsoever except creating animosities.

People being people, look at things differently. Zero tolerance of others' point of view is a BIG problem in today's world, that's for sure.
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

This game was overall positive from my point of view. It's a road win. We came back from a ten point deficit. We experienced our worst fear of Jeff or Fatts missing a game and on top of that there is no injury to come back from. I think its messed up how the NCAA treats student athletes. This was so unfair to Jeff as an individual.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fatts saved us. He had to have a big game for us to win without Jeff.

Our shitty FT shooting was offset by Joes' almost as shitty FT shooting.

Cyril's FT shooting percentage is continuing to drop, game by game.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Steve asked Don on the radio if Coach K would get a phone call 90 minutes before a game saying that one of his best players was suspended for the game. Don basically just laughed and said "What call?" On the bright side, Jeff got some desperately needed rest. This one game suspension could end up being a blessing.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How amazing was Russell?
  • 17 minutes, (1-8) FG, (0-2) for 3P, 2 points in the 1st half
  • 20 minutes, (9-13) FG, (3-3 for 3P, 2 assists, 2 steals, 23 points in the 2nd half
Langevine was a beast - gee how many times can we say that over his 4 year career?
  • 13 minutes, (3-6) FG, 8 rebounds with 7 offensive (maybe a record for a half?), 9 points in the first half
  • 18 minutes, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 5 points in the second half
  • Langevine was incredible on defense in the second half covering Ryan Daly often and just creating havoc in the rebounding lanes both offense and defense. Even ran into the bleachers once and recovered
Mekhi Long played an effective career high 23 minutes. He played 8 minutes in the first half but then obviously David Cox has a lot of faith in Long as he played him 15 huge second half minutes. Long played outstanding defense and had a team high 2 big blocked shots.
Defense in the second half won this game for URI and enabled Russell do do his phenomenal shooting in the second half.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Go Rhody.

Again, GO RHODY!!!
The Celtics had a "clunker" last night, it happens. Last night it was for a half as they were adjusting playing without their senior captain. The Brown game was a "clunker" but just forget about it, it happens. They are a % favorite in all but 3 games the rest of the way but don't think that another "clunker" probably won't happen. These are young men who are good at basketball but none of them are superstars and they are going to have off nights. They don't have these "clunker" games on purpose, they are out there busting their ass (even Martin, he just doesn't look like he is) playing 30-40 mins a game every game. It's physically and mentally draining so even though I get disappointed in a L I don't blame these young men and say "he/they suck", it just happens.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago How amazing was Russell?
  • 20 minutes, (9-13) FG, (3-3 for 3P, 2 assists, 2 steals, 23 points in the 2nd half
Langevine was a beast - gee how many times can we say that over his 4 year career?
  • 13 minutes, (3-6) FG, 8 rebounds with 7 offensive (maybe a record for a half?), 9 points in the first half
  • 18 minutes, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 5 points in the second half
  • Langevine was incredible on defense in the second half covering Ryan Daly often and just creating havoc in the rebounding lanes both offense and defense. Even ran into the bleachers once and recovered
Mekhi Long played an effective career high 23 minutes. He played 8 minutes in the first half but then obviously David Cox has a lot of faith in Long as he played him 15 huge second half minutes. Long played outstanding defense and had a team high 2 big blocked shots.
Defense in the second half won this game for URI and enabled Russell do do his phenomenal shooting in the second half.
Long played a lot in the 2nd half because...

1.) Tyrese got in foul trouble and Mekhi was doing a good job on Daly and Cox needed Martin's offense on the court so someone else had to take over Daly responsibility
2.) Toppin struggled covering Daly, fouling him a couple times and getting beat off the dribble
3.) St Joe's lacked height so we could get away with Cyril and 4 wing/perimeter defenders

Cyril is a beast defensively and no one will ever argue that. You thus have to take your lumps with his offense, but he must convert easy layups, knock down FTs closer to 60% of the time and limit turnovers for us to win against good teams.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

1.) Tyrese got in foul trouble and Mekhi was doing a good job on Daly and Cox needed Martin's offense on the court so someone else had to take over Daly responsibility
2.) Toppin struggled covering Daly, fouling him a couple times and getting beat off the dribble
3.) St Joe's lacked height so we could get away with Cyril and 4 wing/perimeter defenders

Cyril is a beast defensively and no one will ever argue that. You thus have to take your lumps with his offense, but he must convert easy layups, knock down FTs closer to 60% of the time and limit turnovers for us to win against good teams.
Cyril's 37-78 from the line and and 51 turnovers are a lot of points left on the floor
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago

Cyril's 37-78 from the line and and 51 turnovers are a lot of points left on the floor
Despite that, I’m still picking him over any other big in the A10. I love the kid. True blue collar, workhorse.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Despite that, I’m still picking him over any other big in the A10. I love the kid. True blue collar, workhorse.
If given the choice you're picking Cyril over Obi? Don't get me wrong, I love Cyril as much as anybody, but give me the top 10 pick if making that choice. Cyril would be right behind him though.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

If given the choice you're picking Cyril over Obi? Don't get me wrong, I love Cyril as much as anybody, but give me the top 10 pick if making that choice. Cyril would be right behind him though.
I guess I’m just loyal. Kid would run through a wall for his teammates.

I absolutely love Obi’s game, and had he come here, I’d likely feel the same, but I’m rolling with Cyril, flaws and all.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cryil's tenacity on the boards continues to be there but his shooting seems to have regressed this season. His offensive stats to date are the worst of his URI career. He as many have noted has a lot of close misses from the paint. His FG shooting is .453 (63-139) which is not good for the short range of most of his shots. Making matters worse, his ft shooting has also gotten even worse than earlier years falling to .474 (37-78). He has the ability to make free throws as he showed when he went 10-12 in the Alabama game. He however has really struggled in most other games. Just a little uptick in his offensive numbers going forward would really help the team and possibly be the difference maker in close games.

CL Stats
2019-20 FG% .453 FT% .474
2018-19 FG% .567 FT% .600
2017-18 FG% .640 FT% .506
2016-17 FG% .467 FT% .491
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely 1st Team Atlantic 10
A beast
Leads the A10 in Offensive and in Total Rebounding
A beast
Last night he shut down St Joseph’s best offensive player that was a huge key to our 2nd half comeback and win
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Horrendous timing
Unfair
NCAA an organization in serious need of reform

Absolutely.

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man mention!!

You have got to love and appreciate this Projo writer.

4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Dismantle the NCAA. Law suits and the like. I know its not the biggest issue on Earth, but a rouge cartel with absolutely no accountability controlling the fates of unpaid student athletes is wrong. We are all letting them play puppet master with kids lives so they can turn a buck (myself passively, as well, just by supporting my favorite team). Unfortunately they are embedded and the average fan has no idea how plain evil they have been constantly tampering with the product in order to re-assure P5 dominance. It is sickening and I am serious about institutions taking them to court.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Blue Man mention!!

HA! please. You know you're way smarter than KMac
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago This game was overall positive from my point of view. It's a road win. We came back from a ten point deficit. We experienced our worst fear of Jeff or Fatts missing a game and on top of that there is no injury to come back from. I think its messed up how the NCAA treats student athletes. This was so unfair to Jeff as an individual.
Agree with this 100%. Yes it was ugly, but a win like this - on the road under tough circumstances - tends to either push a team one way (kick the dirt and give up) or another (rally around each other and overcome). This team picked the latter. That is growth that cannot be underestimated going forward. It is a lesson that can only be learned by being in that situation. Us against the world type stuff. It causes teammates to have to rely on the staff to make adjustments and on teammates to work together and figure it out - and they did. As a result, confidence in the staff rises and a "Band of Brothers" mentality can result.

This could be the flash point that fuses this team together.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That was probably my last chance to watch Dowtin play and then that happened. Cool, cool. It’s fine.

But where would this team be without Fatts?
His own personal cheering section was pretty fun, too.
5 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Wow I cannot believe this thread. Sorry, but a road win in the A10, by 10 points, coming from a ten point deficit, is a good win. Didn't watch the game, had other things going on, and it sure sounded ugly, but it doesn't matter, especially when they were missing Jeff! Since when do we expect style points??? Our memories are very short; there was a time not all that long ago when we would have never won a game like this. Kudos to the team!!!
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Wow I cannot believe this thread. Sorry, but a road win in the A10, by 10 points, coming from a ten point deficit, is a good win. Didn't watch the game, had other things going on, and it sure sounded ugly, but it doesn't matter, especially when they were missing Jeff! Since when do we expect style points??? Our memories are very short; there was a time not all that long ago when we would have never won a game like this. Kudos to the team!!!
AND the Coach!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago That was probably my last chance to watch Dowtin play and then that happened. Cool, cool. It’s fine.

But where would this team be without Fatts?
His own personal cheering section was pretty fun, too.
What was the feeling in the stands among Rhody Fans Ace?

Did Jeff have many family members and friends in attendance? How were they with this unfortunate NCAA decision?
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Blue Man mention!!

Probably wouldn't love, but I would appreciate having a beat writer who outworked message board posters on recruiting info, etc.
0 x