NFL Overtime

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NFL Overtime

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I've seen it a few times that some are upset that for a 2nd straight year, a Super Bowl contender has been eliminated without touching the ball in OT.

I've seen many suggestions -- both teams should get the ball at least once, it should go the whole OT period, etc.

I'm not a fan of either of those ideas. If you go with both teams should get the ball at least once, then if both teams score TD's, one team still gets the advantage of an extra possession to win. If you go with it should go the whole OT period, one team will still have the potential advantage of an extra possessions. To me in both those situations, the outcome can still be heavily influenced by the coin flip.

If the approach is to make it fair, the only thing I see is a "college" type OT. Both teams get possessions, but there is no clock and they don't have to go on sustained scoring drives which could take a long time. If both do the same thing, they both get the ball back.

That would be my vote, but I know it's not popular because it's seen as "not the way real football is played." What say you?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: NFL Overtime

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I really dislike the college OT, because it eliminates a huge portion of the game - special teams - from the equation.

For the playoffs, I'm fine with out of the box thinking, like just playing a full quarter, or, it's only sudden death if you allow a touchdown. Both would incentivize scoring, instead of allowing coaches to go conservative. (And, it's also a motivator for coaches to try to more definitively end things in regulation, vs. having to playing another quarter.)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the way it is now is fine. If the team loses the coin toss then other team scores a TD then so be it they had a chance to stop them but didn’t ??
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not sure where this belonged...but... "Good for you, Luke Kuechly"...well played, and may you enjoy great health as a retired 28 year old. Bravo.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah must be tough to retire at 28 bring how great he was but 3 severe concussions are no joke . Best of luck Luke K
0 x