1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: 1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RIFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Rhody's KenPom is now 69 (nice), the best it's been all year.
Gronks favorite number!
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Say it louder for the fair weather “fans” in the back Tyrese!

GO RHODY!
1. I have been going to games since I was in diapers. I’ve been posting here since the day it came online, and before that I was on our other platforms for another decade. I’m a season ticket holder, a donor, an alum.

2. I want URI to win every game. I think this team is really good - tournament caliber. I don’t want to fire the coach.

I just think they screwed up last week and I think it’s going to cost them a bid. Don’t call me a fair weather fan for being disappointed about that. I also hope I am wrong, but it’s just the way I feel.
TP you made your rant after the Brown game I believe. I think you said none of the remaining games matter. That they were all exhibition games until Brooklyn because winning the A10 Tournament was Rhody’s only chance. So for you to post your negative feelings again right after Rhody wins at VCU on the VCU thread is a little too much. If you didn’t expect responses critical of your post, you have lost touch. Maybe take a little break.
Yes, please log off for a while.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago .....I mean, is he wrong?

Cyril didn’t exactly look like a world beater today when he put the ball on the floor.

Yeah, he is wrong. Look at his stats. Dude made multiple keyboard warrior comments especially since he has zero backing of such. The chode blocked everyone who disagreed, too. Don't spew what you can't back up. Regardless, Cyril has stats which will be on the Rhode Island record books for our lifetime.
4 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Go over to the VCU board.

They sound like us a week ago.
Are they criticizing how their players walk?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago .....I mean, is he wrong?

Cyril didn’t exactly look like a world beater today when he put the ball on the floor.

Yeah, he is wrong. Look at his stats. Dude made multiple keyboard warrior comments especially since he has zero backing of such. The chode blocked everyone who disagreed, too. Don't spew what you can't back up. Regardless, Cyril has stats which will be on the Rhode Island record books for our lifetime.

That is correct, but I don’t remember One play where he dribbled multiple times and something good came from it.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Great win for URI. I didn’t get to see the second half as I had an event that I couldn’t get out of with my wife. I was pretty concerned as the game got to half. It looks like Dowtin had his best game of the year. I don’t think we can take the win and put it one way or the other too much. Some people will say we get back in the tourney talk and others will say it isn’t enough after the bad loses. I think we should just enjoy a great win at a tough place to play. I get as upset and negative as anyone at times, but am real happy that they pulled this out. It made the weekend for me.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago

Are they criticizing how their players walk?

"Someone's left foot had more enthusiasm than their right foot during the last game during the intro. Also, I find this gentleman 'Meek Mill' displeasing since it's not as rousing as Steely Dan"
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Good wins > bad losses.

Everyone has bad losses at the end of the year. Not everyone has good wins. This is and will be a good win.

tbh - if in our first 3 games of conference play we had to lose 1, the Richmond game was the best to lose - since they'll be higher than Davidson. We NEEDED this win. I think we need 3-4 Q1 wins to dance without any more Q3/Q4 losses. We knocked out 1 today. Pop bottles and titties. Let's dance.

3-4 Q1 wins will be extremely difficult. How many opportunities will we have? In the regular season we'll have 2 against Dayton and quite possibly no others. In the tourney we' could potentially get two more....one being against Dayton and the other against maybe Richmond or VCU. Maybe we don't even get two chances in the tourney. It's possible we only get 3 chances total and all 3 against Dayton.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

luke wrote: 4 years ago Okay, for those who said our defense wasn't good against Davidson , it was just Davidson stinks, so I guess VCU stinks as well, huh ?
And TP , what was that all about just frustration ? Sure a win over Richmond would have been much better , but if you can only have a
win over Richmond at home or a win on the road at VCU , I will take the win at VCU because it registers as a big win and Richmond would not.
I know you know better .. you know it is a long season and it may have made a 180 with the Davidson and VCU wins . We will see . Now if
they want today to be big they must go to Philadelphia and beat an up and down St. Joes who beat UCONN and took Davidson to overtime
in North Carolina today before losing. They cannot let down against the Hawks . If they do then you will be right TP , this game will become
meaningless . The team must understand that if they have NCAA ambitions going forward. But TP you know this win today at the moment is
not meaningless . They have to take a one game at a time mentality and the next game at St. Joes is very important because it is the next game.
Great defensive effort by all . Keep it up guys.

Luke...i was one that thought the D vs. Davidson was a bit over rated. Davidson is shorthanded and not a good team right now. The defensive intensity today was much better. Other than a couple fast breaks and offensive rebound put backs nothing came easy for VCU down low. Our size definitely affected them. Most 3s were contested today. Not sure I could say the same about Davidson. I think they missed a lot of open looks.
The rest of your post is spot on in my opinion.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I will say this if your Twitter handle is whatever handle "Ron Amorese” goes by, (the original one who tweeted at Cyril after this game that a bunch of us have quoted), your game is pathetic and I hope you turn in your Rhody Fan credentials for all time. You were going that low that you were retweeted by a student athlete to show how thoroughly pathetic you are. You also blocked prominent Rhody supporters. Go to a bowling alley in Pawtucket and swill some more Bud Heavies.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Ditto! i just went through all 32 pages. I met a lot of nice/informed VCU fans at the A10 in DC. But, like all message boards there's always bad apples (calling fatts a midget, how they want blood because they think our players and coach are dirty and trashtalkers, fouls, ect) A lot of their informed posters call out the bad apples and irrational comments so I respect the vast majority of them.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Rhody's KenPom is now 69 (nice), the best it's been all year.
Gronks favorite number!

Kevin Malone's too!
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

jaywin86 wrote: 4 years ago

Ditto! i just went through all 32 pages. I met a lot of nice/informed VCU fans at the A10 in DC. But, like all message boards there's always bad apples (calling fatts a midget, how they want blood because they think our players and coach are dirty and trashtalkers, fouls, ect) A lot of their informed posters call out the bad apples and irrational comments so I respect the vast majority of them.
Thank you four your summary and sparing us haha. Fatts is clearly going to look "short "around guys who are 6'4"-6'9" on average. These low blows keep coming today.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
RIFan wrote: 4 years ago
Gronks favorite number!

Kevin Malone's too!
It can be a really useful or meaningless number in every aspect!
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Even better, go over to the VC PeeU Board from the beginning of the week were they are discussing beating us by 25 points and how we are as deep as a kiddie pool...that aged well.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

This per CBS Sports winners and loser of the day;

Loser: VCU's foothold on the 2-hole in the A-10

Maybe we can call this the most surprising outcome of the day. VCU was a projected eight-point victor over just-OK Rhode Island. The game was in Richmond, Virginia. Winning at the Seigel Center is among the toughest asks outside big-conference hoops. But hello: the blue-and-white Rams knock off the black-and-yellow Rams by nine points, bringing some chaos to the top of the A-10. Virginia Commonwealth was comfortably positioned in every metric as the second-best team in the conference. That could still hold. But this is a seed-bump-down kind of loss for VCU, which wants to avoid entering the bubble conversation once we get to February.

We aren't short on giving URI credit, though. This team is capable of being the sleeper to win the A-10 tournament two months from now.
7 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Say it louder for the fair weather “fans” in the back Tyrese!

GO RHODY!
1. I have been going to games since I was in diapers. I’ve been posting here since the day it came online, and before that I was on our other platforms for another decade. I’m a season ticket holder, a donor, an alum.

2. I want URI to win every game. I think this team is really good - tournament caliber. I don’t want to fire the coach.

I just think they screwed up last week and I think it’s going to cost them a bid. Don’t call me a fair weather fan for being disappointed about that. I also hope I am wrong, but it’s just the way I feel.
TP you made your rant after the Brown game I believe. I think you said none of the remaining games matter. That they were all exhibition games until Brooklyn because winning the A10 Tournament was Rhody’s only chance. So for you to post your negative feelings again right after Rhody wins at VCU on the VCU thread is a little too much. If you didn’t expect responses critical of your post, you have lost touch. Maybe take a little break.
I don’t understand your post. First of all, I don’t have negative feelings. I really like this team and I probably think they’re better than most of the posters here. I actually had a work emergency and had to go into the office today, and still made a point to watch nearly every second of the game at my desk. I never went after any players or coaches or said anyone sucks or should be benched or fired or whatever. My comments have been about the situation we put ourselves in, which I think is not good.

Second of all, of course I expected that people would respond the way they did to what I said. It’s an unpleasant thing to say. It’s an unpleasant thing to think if you care about this program. But that’s where we’re at. I really don’t want to keep doing this. It is what it is. The hay is in the barn with last week. I hope this team runs the table and everyone can tell me how wrong I was. There is still a lot of basketball to play and I will be watching all of it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI is now 12-0 when Dowtin scores 20 or more points.

I think Dowtin needs to use this game as a launching pad for his scoring. More shots per game especially driving to the basket.
11 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

We only have a few days until we play again away...I hope we don’t get afflicted with the Friars “Too tired to play syndrome” because per Coach Cooley that was why they didn’t show up to play Butler. Let’s hope Cox schedules some team nappy naps 💤 so the boys can rest.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago We only have a few days until we play again away...I hope we don’t get afflicted with the Friars “Too tired to play syndrome” because per Coach Cooley that was why they didn’t show up to play Butler. Let’s hope Cox schedules some team nappy naps 💤 so the boys can rest.
Rhody did get stuck in the airport tonight when their flight was delayed.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago We only have a few days until we play again away...I hope we don’t get afflicted with the Friars “Too tired to play syndrome” because per Coach Cooley that was why they didn’t show up to play Butler. Let’s hope Cox schedules some team nappy naps 💤 so the boys can rest.
Rhody did get stuck in the airport tonight when their flight was delayed.
I didn’t mean to “like” this, but airport delays are the worst. Hope they get back to PVD in due time.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I get TP's point, had to listen to this one on the radio, Steve and Don spoke about it briefly on the broadcast, the Brown game's affect on the team's resume anyway. They weren't being negative, just realistic. That being said, I feel like post season aspirations are back on, I mean to me as a fan I want to cling on to the rays of hope the team casts. So crazier things have happened, Suppose the Davidson game was the start of something special. Not getting ahead of myself, but if we get lucky in the health department and we sweep VCU, enter the game at Dayton with a record of say 17-6 doesn't that get us in the field or the conversation anyway? So what if we then split with Dayton, it could happen. No more home loses and assuming we lose to Dayton at Dayton, we could probably afford one road loss at either Mason, Bonaventure or even LaSalle, but we have to sweep UAss and that's unlikely, who knows though. I'd say while not probable, it's possible that we end up mid to low 40's NET with three Q1 wins and only one Q4 loss, so yeah post-season aspirations on!
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I get TP's point, had to listen to this one on the radio, Steve and Don spoke about it briefly on the broadcast, the Brown game's affect on the team's resume anyway. They weren't being negative, just realistic. That being said, I feel like post season aspirations are back on, I mean to me as a fan I want to cling on to the rays of hope the team casts. So crazier things have happened, Suppose the Davidson game was the start of something special. Not getting ahead of myself, but if we get lucky in the health department and we sweep VCU, enter the game at Dayton with a record of say 17-6 doesn't that get us in the field or the conversation anyway? So what if we then split with Dayton, it could happen. No more home loses and assuming we lose to Dayton at Dayton, we could probably afford one road loss at either Mason, Bonaventure or even LaSalle, but we have to sweep UAss and that's unlikely, who knows though. I'd say while not probable, it's possible that we end up mid to low 40's NET with three Q1 wins and only one Q4 loss, so yeah post-season aspirations on!

Mark my words.

Brown will become a quad 2 loss and we will be fine.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dowtinsavestheworld wrote: 4 years ago Anybody else see Dowtin and Russell exchange words in hand shake line? Russell looked pissed?
Are you saying they exchanged words with each other in the handshake line? Or that they both exchanged words with VCU Coaches and/or VCU Players in the handshake line?
1 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Dowtinsavestheworld wrote: 4 years ago Anybody else see Dowtin and Russell exchange words in hand shake line? Russell looked pissed?
Are you saying they exchanged words with each other in the handshake line? Or that they both exchanged words with VCU Coaches and/or VCU Players in the handshake line?
certainly something that should be clarified please?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Jeff did run the offense a lot more this game than he has in a while.

Good move by Cox, although it was strange about the lack of assists.

Not coincidentally Jeff had his best game in a while too.

Hopefully we will see more of this going forward.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Yeah. Fatts said "Great game." Jeff said "You too man." :|
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A lot of wind all up and down the east coast. Still very windy this AM.

Now that they are back, they have a couple days before they have to go to Philly.

Plenty of nappy time.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Jeff did run the offense a lot more this game than he has in a while.

Exactly where Jeff should be and the role he should be playing on the team. This is what made Jeff the standout that he was and is.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

If you want a Sunday laugh, read through the VCU fan page. It goes from that they are going to beat us down, revenge, they are going to win by 20 ect.... to complete meltdown. I’ve always said VCU fans are the cockiest most obnoxious fans in the A10, it’s so fun to see them eat crow. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Love this quote from El Jefe:

"I feel like every time we play a team it’s always an opportunity. It doesn’t matter if it’s Quadrant 1 or whatever that even means."
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Jeff did run the offense a lot more this game than he has in a while.

Exactly where Jeff should be and the role he should be playing on the team. This is what made Jeff the standout that he was and is.
I love Fatts but Jeff’s place is being the QB. He rarely presses or is rattled. I hope this is to continue because I think moving him off the ball contributed to some less than stellar play and possibly some losses the last year and a half.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago If you want a Sunday laugh, read through the VCU fan page. It goes from that they are going to beat us down, revenge, they are going to win by 20 ect.... to complete meltdown. I’ve always said VCU fans are the cockiest most obnoxious fans in the A10, it’s so fun to see them eat crow. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
How do you access the site? Only option I see you have to pay. Those salty tears should be free for all!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Never mind. Found this ocean of tears :D

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/thr ... ead.18531/
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago If you want a Sunday laugh, read through the VCU fan page. It goes from that they are going to beat us down, revenge, they are going to win by 20 ect.... to complete meltdown. I’ve always said VCU fans are the cockiest most obnoxious fans in the A10, it’s so fun to see them eat crow. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
They really do have an obnoxious fan base. I did like this quote from one of their posters though: “As for URI bragging, when you own a team, and yes they own us, you can brag. We do it all the time. It comes with the winning.

He’s right, we own them alright! It has to be in their heads at this point. Let’s get the season sweep on 1/31. I’ll be driving up from NJ for that game. GO RHODY!!!
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Was out all of yesterday

Just watched the game without knowing the outcome

GREAT GAME

GREAT job coaching staff and players

I’m happy for JD - good stuff !
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Fatts is a 2 guard. He just happens to be 5'10". I think there are people out there who refuse to wrap their head around that.

It's also why he was very effective off the bench as a frosh his first year. Because he wasn't coming in to play point guard, he was coming in to provide fire power.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Is a replay of game available?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

AlienAiden said:
Nah, they got beat.
Yep. Nothing more you can say than this. Just got outplayed and beat. They are a much better team than I gave credit for that's now 10-5 with a Quad 1 huge win on the road. Hats off to em. Can't mess around with the ball when the bad guys have two really good guards hawking you.

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is a 2 guard. He just happens to be 5'10". I think there are people out there who refuse to wrap their head around that.

It's also why he was very effective off the bench as a frosh his first year. Because he wasn't coming in to play point guard, he was coming in to provide fire power.
He's 5' 8" and one of the best guards in URI history. Wrap your head around that, Dick Vitale Jr.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I just hope Cox continues to put Jeff at the point whenever possible.

He sees the results, as do we.

Wait until next year to put Fatts back at the point....he will be the primary 1 since Jeff will have graduated.

At least we will have more guard depth then, and have more options moving guys around.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

With those missed layups, we should have won by 15.
3 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

On the VCU board, many of them talked about the many missed bunnies they had.

Teams will miss layups every game...both teams missed them yesterday.

Just happy that with the lead, we made our FT's. That's something that doesn't always happen, as we all know.

On to St. Joes. Just keep the same defensive mindset, and we will be OK.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great win- I couldn’t be happier for Dowtin. That win had to feel extra good for him.

Players should probably never respond to fans on Twitter. That being said, it’s often very funny when they do.

Also, if you spend any amount of time talking about a team on a niche Internet forum, you’re probably not a “fair-weather” fan. Apathy is the enemy.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are a much better half court offensive team with Jeff at the point.

It seems that Jeff needs that to play well? Looks like it. His past history definitely looks like it.

And I'm not knocking Fatts here.

It's what is needed for us to beat good teams, and go on a run.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Is a replay of game available?
I will do it if no one uploads anything in the next day or so. There’s waves today tho so no time to do it today
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago He's 5' 8" and one of the best guards in URI history. Wrap your head around that, Dick Vitale Jr.
Fatts is a 2 guard. He just happens to be 5'8"
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago We are a much better half court offensive team with Jeff at the point.

It seems that Jeff needs that to play well? Looks like it. His past history definitely looks like it.

And I'm not knocking Fatts here.

It's what is needed for us to beat good teams, and go on a run.
Jeff did score a lot in transition and driving to the basket. You don’t need to be the PG to do that. They both handle the ball. I don’t care who is PG. I trust Cox to stay with what works. Jeff did struggle some with their press. Jeff needs to be assertive getting his shot and getting to the basket. If Jeff scores 20 points, Rhody wins (12-0 in his career).
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago With those missed layups, we should have won by 15.
Oh Geeeeeeez, we won
0 x