1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: 1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Brown’s NET is currently 221. So it’s a Q3 loss. Not good, but could be worse.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I would be so excited right now if we hadn’t thrown our season away against Brown and Richmond. What could have been....
Can we just appreciate a road win in VCU instead of going back to these games? The season is a long way to go and this game could be the turnaround before a nice winning streak.
4 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

Anybody else see Dowtin and Russell exchange words in hand shake line? Russell looked pissed?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I would be so excited right now if we hadn’t thrown our season away against Brown and Richmond. What could have been....
Omg - Richmond is not a bad loss. We have 1 bad loss. 68 team make the tourney, at least 50 of them probably have a head scratcher loss in there.
Agree it’s not a “bad” loss but it was a very important game to win. Not for the same reason that Brown was. It’s the difference between need to win vs need not to lose, I guess. But Richmond was important because they are a direct competitor as far as potential third bid from the A10 and because we only have so many measuring stick games on the schedule. They were in our place, and they are highly, highly fraudulent. We should have blown them out and sent a message and instead we turtled. I’m almost more upset about that one than the Brown one.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ed Allen must have planted some URI swag on the VCU campus when he named the team the Rams.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Can we now finally be done with "Tyrese doesnt play hard" talk.
Tyrese is a gifted talent. He doesn't play like he did today as often as he should.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Can we just appreciate a road win in VCU instead of going back to these games? The season is a long way to go and this game could be the turnaround before a nice winning streak.
This is exactly why I made this post. I think sports fans too often react to the last thing they see only. I wasn’t not super upset about the Brown game and then the Richmond game just because they sucked to watch and I’ll just forget about it the next good thing I see. Losing those games will have season-long ramifications and they can’t be erased by good performances later on. If anything, an objectively great win like today makes those losses even more infuriating, not only because it proves what they are capable of and shows just how bad they were to lose those games, but also because they devalue wins like today. You want this win today to be a cornerstone of your tournament resume, but there is no tournament resume now. It’s win in Brooklyn or not.

I’ll drop it because people don’t want to hear, and I do get that. But this is exactly why I was so upset last week.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody's KenPom is now 69 (nice), the best it's been all year.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago That was unexpected. Even more so by the ease it was done leading nearly the entire game. For some reason, URI just seems to have VCU's number. Have now beaten them seven out of the last eight. Rhody is the only A-10 member to have a winning all time record versus the Richmond Rams. Got to keep it going at St Joe's. Cannot take them too lightly, especially in their little bandbox gym. No more Brown type games.
You make it sound like a fluke that we have beat them so often. We lost last year by 34 but then came in here and played tremendous defense against a team known for its defense. We beat them at their own game

Credit the Coaches and the Players on a job very well done.

2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
This is exactly why I made this post. I think sports fans too often react to the last thing they see only. I wasn’t not super upset about the Brown game and then the Richmond game just because they sucked to watch and I’ll just forget about it the next good thing I see. Losing those games will have season-long ramifications and they can’t be erased by good performances later on. If anything, an objectively great win like today makes those losses even more infuriating, not only because it proves what they are capable of and shows just how bad they were to lose those games, but also because they devalue wins like today. You want this win today to be a cornerstone of your tournament resume, but there is no tournament resume now. It’s win in Brooklyn or not.

I’ll drop it because people don’t want to hear, and I do get that. But this is exactly why I was so upset last week.
Your clueless. You clearly know nothing about college bball. Bad losses can be erased by q1 wins. Rothstein even himself agreed. Your takes literally have gotten worse by the minute over the last few months jeeze. Maybe check the meds? Bill koch even tweets let the tourney talk continue. I will side with then over you. Maybe create a thread for all the negative nancies to cry and whine about everything then derailing a postive thread
Last edited by sevegny7 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago
Could have rolled over after those 2 losses. Could have rolled over when VCU got within one.. Give them credit and stick with them.. Enjoy the wins and hope effort continues.. Lots of basketball to go..
I enjoyed the hell out of it today, but I just don’t think it means anything in the big picture. The regular season is still a lost cause. I will still watch, and I hope they will still play. It’s just hard to feel the same kind of excitement when you know it doesn’t really mean anything.
Completely disagree. As a brigadier general in the general doom squad on this board- while also serving as 3 star admiral of the pep squad (I'm bipolar and in an unhealthy relationship with my basketball team, sue me) - this is a true Q1 win on the road.

Not even talking about the abstract of what a win like this does for confidence moving forward, or excitement - this Q1 win erases the Richmond loss. Plus the fact that Richmond (and their Wisconsin win) continue to play themselves towards the Q2 category.

They still need to atone for the Brown loss - but this was the first step in making that atonement a reality.

Of course if the season ended today we would not be in. But a big Q1 win that we had to have - with probably 3 more chances in the regular season, maybe 4, and another 1 or 2 in Brooklyn.

Definitely in the one game at a time territory - but we just announced that we don't intend our season to end in Brooklyn.

LETS FUCKING GO.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Good win
Martin had a decent game passing the ball...keep it up

I agree with TP...the Brown loss is the type of loss that can keep a bubble team from a non P-5 league out. The only way that loss could have been worse was if it was at home. On the radio Don said Bernadette McGlade congratulated him on todays win and then asked how the heck did you lose to Brown. For us that is how razor thin the margin for error is. But if we go 14-4 or better in A-10 it could be overlooked.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OldSchoolRhody wrote: 4 years ago
What a lousy thing to say. Good god - whole a10 season left and just had a huge road win in convincing style. Welcome to block.
Season is far from thrown away.

This was a huge win.
To go into VCU, where I think they had the 4th longest home winning streak in the nation, is noteworthy.
It means we beat arguably the 2nd best team in the A10 on their home court
Rhody stood up to be counted today
OOC games are all behind us.
We showed today we can be the #1 or #2 Team in the A10
If we finish #1 or #2 we can go to the NCAA Tournament
Today did a lot to sell future tickets at the Ryan Center for VCU, Dayton and others
Great Win Today!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago
Could have rolled over after those 2 losses. Could have rolled over when VCU got within one.. Give them credit and stick with them.. Enjoy the wins and hope effort continues.. Lots of basketball to go..
I enjoyed the hell out of it today, but I just don’t think it means anything in the big picture. The regular season is still a lost cause. I will still watch, and I hope they will still play. It’s just hard to feel the same kind of excitement when you know it doesn’t really mean anything.
Odd take, if we finish 2nd in the A10 regular season we will be dancing. And finishing 2nd is still very much alive. Unless you all of a sudden think Richmond is the best team ever, after you repeatedly said how much they were trash.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago Good win

I agree with TP...the Brown loss is the type of loss that can keep a bubble team from a non P-5 league out. For us that is how razor thin the margin for error is. But if we go 14-4 or better in A-10 it could be overlooked.
I disagree. That’s only if things are close at the wire.
Today showed we can beat the best of the A10 on their home court - a terrific accomplishment.

If URI can finish 2nd in the A10 then they can dance. It’s very possible. Our defense was tremendous as was our rebounding.
Langevine, Harris, Toppin and Walker might be the best front court in the A10
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Who remembers when everyone in this forum was bitching about the players and coach Cox.Those who’s gave up on the team after the Richmond game should give up commenting on the forum as well.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Richmond is contending for the tourney, why is that a bad loss? We have one Q3 loss "on the road" with the other losses all too ranked/previously ranked teams. Plus we are 8-1 at home. With wins over Bama PC and @VCU breaking their 21 home game win streak. We lookin solid.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jeff had a few mistakes, but overall he played well and I give him player of the game. He controlled the tempo in the second half after VCU made that run. I haven’t checked the stats yet, but I don’t remember him turning the ball over much.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What a game. I was totally wrong about the prospects about this game especially considering last year's 34 point debacle at their place. This is a real quality win and the fact it came on the road makes it doubly sweet.This team showed lots of character.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The only thing to be said here is that EVERY team on the bubble will have 1 bad loss, if not more. The regular season is not meaningless, this take is so odd.
8 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
RIFan wrote: 4 years ago Good win

I agree with TP...the Brown loss is the type of loss that can keep a bubble team from a non P-5 league out. For us that is how razor thin the margin for error is. But if we go 14-4 or better in A-10 it could be overlooked.
I disagree. That’s only if things are close at the wire.
Today showed we can beat the best of the A10 on their home court - a terrific accomplishment.

If URI can finish 2nd in the A10 then they can dance. It’s very possible. Our defense was tremendous as was our rebounding.
Langevine, Harris, Toppin and Walker might be the best front court in the A10
I think we kind of agree, I assume 14-4 places us 2 or 3 in the league.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The seniors are 7-1 against VCU. Our all time record against them is probably pretty good too.

The group we have has kind of always played up to competition but they drop games that they have no business dropping like every three weeks (historically speaking, last year/this year).

We don't have to shoot for 2nd place. URI can sweep the whole A10 but they would have to play great. Somebody has to win the A10.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Can we now finally be done with "Tyrese doesnt play hard" talk.
Tyrese is a gifted talent. He doesn't play like he did today as often as he should.
There is something to be said about not showing emotion and being cool & calm. He is always active on the boards. Plays decent defense. And he is finding his role on the offensive end more and more.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They need to play with that defensive intensity every game for the rest of the year. If they do, good things will come.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The loss to Richmond really creeped up on URI too. They were ahead and even with Richmond and then the last two minutes of the first half and the first two minutes of the second half was the difference. Hopefully they learned their lesson that it takes 40 minutes.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago The seniors are 7-1 against VCU. Our all time record against them is probably pretty good too.

The group we have has kind of always played up to competition but they drop games that they have no business dropping like every three weeks (historically speaking, last year/this year).

We don't have to shoot for 2nd place. URI can sweep the whole A10 but they would have to play great. Somebody has to win the A10.
Dayton is going to be awfully tough to beat...
1 x
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
Lol. Dowtin just dissed all the haters on this board!

And why all the hate on Brown? They still have two games against Yale (#29 rpi) and ya never know. That’s why they play the game.

Fun day, haters gonna hate! I loved every min of today and look forward to watching these kids grow for the rest of the season.
4 x
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This college BB season is a truly wacky one so far.

Consistency eludes most every team to an extent.

Just can't afford to throw hardly any more clunkers like the Brown game.

Our margin for error is much smaller than P5's.

Jekyll and Hyde indeed. We were given up for dead 2 games ago, now look.

Same for PC, they were horrible. Now they're back in the mix almost overnight.

You don't know what you're going to get game by game nowadays.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I never would have guessed that we would beat VCU at their place if Russell (35 minutes) and Dowtin (36 minutes) would end up with only 1 Assist between them (Dowtin had 1 assist, Russell none. That is a crazy statistic
  • Jeff Dowtin was very efficient. (6-100 FG, (8-10) FT, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 TOs for a Game High 21 Points. Plus David Cox had Jeff directly the offense a lot today. The ball was in Jeffs hand considerably more than in previous games
  • Russell's 7 Steals were great against a team that prides itself on defense.
  • Martin with 7 big rebounds and 4 assists - considering the whole team only had 6 assists, Martins 4 assists were a lot
  • Langevine was a beast inside as usual. 13 rebounds and only 3 Personal Fouls. Langevine played a game high 38 minutes for David Cox. While Langevine gets some negative comments directed his way, 38 minutes vs VCU @ VCU tells us all what David Cox thinks of his value to the team
  • Harris, Walker, Long, Toppin all brought their energy, length and defensive ability to the game today and helped to frustrate the VCU players
Go back to the beginning of this week and who really would have thought we would beat both Davidson and VCU??? Not many, if any. But for sure David Cox, his Coaching Staff and his players never wavered. Great week.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Good wins > bad losses.

Everyone has bad losses at the end of the year. Not everyone has good wins. This is and will be a good win.

tbh - if in our first 3 games of conference play we had to lose 1, the Richmond game was the best to lose - since they'll be higher than Davidson. We NEEDED this win. I think we need 3-4 Q1 wins to dance without any more Q3/Q4 losses. We knocked out 1 today. Pop bottles and titties. Let's dance.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I think you URI played great today. Good defensively, got buckets when they needed and we’re good from the stripe. It’s kind of funny as I read through the posts after the game I had to double check that I was on the right subject since everyone seemed to be posting like we were down by 25 points. Good win, think we were the better team from the start. Let’s take it and carry the momentum.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Some people just love to be negative no matter what the situation is.

This was a MUST win to keep our hopes alive. We have work left to do but we finally got our first big win.

Its on Cox to keep these guys locked in like this every game. GO RHODY!!!!
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And why all the hate on Brown? They still have two games against Yale (#29 rpi) and ya never know. That’s why they play the game.

Fun day, haters gonna hate! I loved every min of today and look forward to watching these kids grow for the rest of the season.
Haters on this board? Most are season tix holders or out of state lovers of URI bball. I think most are pragmatic.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago The only thing to be said here is that EVERY team on the bubble will have 1 bad loss, if not more. The regular season is not meaningless, this take is so odd.
Two weeks ago I was getting scolded by the doomers here because I was bullish on this team playing its way into the tournament and they said there was no way we would have the NET ranking to get in. Now I’m the bad guy for pointing out that losing to teams like Brown if you’re on a razor’s edge like we are can have season-long ramifications, or that wasting an opportunity to distance yourself from fraudulent Richmond team both elevates them and hurts you in terms of perception.

I’m just giving my honest opinion. I’ve been one of the last people defending the team or the coach at various points over the years, I’ve been one of the few critics at other times. I‘m not a doomer or a sunshiner, and I’m not trying to be contrarian. But I also don’t really mind if everyone doesn’t agree with me sometimes.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If this board gives them bulletin board material and they channel it into wins that is fantastic.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There were a few stats that don't normally indicate a double digit wire to win on the road to a good team...

15 turnovers'
6 assists on 21 baskets
28% from 3

It's not like we played great offensively or shot it lights out. Speaks to how effective our defense was, best performance on that side of the court by far.
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

If I told you we were 1-1 against teams against Providence and 1-1 against teams from Richmond would you have guessed the correct outcome?
6 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Lets also look at it this way, I would prefer to have a bunch of passionate fans with wild mood swings than be a program that has little to no fan interest...if you look at attendance figures there are a lot of programs that draw nobody to their games...be thankful that's not us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP....the new doombone…..ha ha just joshin' ya

The highs and lows of this season so far....the highs and lows of this board.....

The biggest roller coasters have nothing on us!
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago This was our 3rd toughest conference game and we got a convincing win. Lead the whole way with 1 tie.

More impressively - we fought through 2 big VCU runs - including a 2nd half stretch where we went scoreless for 6 minutes.

Senior leadership. Big balls. Smart plays.

Had we lost this game you'd have hung it on 7 missed 2nd half layups - as the coaching and defensive efforts were the best of the season.

Credit to this man squad for battling and grinding in the 2nd toughest arena to play in in the country...until today when we snapped that streak.

SUCK IT LONG AND HARD IMITATION RAMS. ALL ABOARD.
Yoooooooog win!!! Best D since the Hurley teams.

"IMITATION RAMS" ... that is some funny stuff Blue Man! Now we just need some remedial layup lessons for Cyril and Poppin' Toppin dunk tutorials for Jermaine and we are unstoppable! :mrgreen:
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Shout out to Walker for making big plays in crunch time!
8 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Having to read TP going this negative on some posts is bizarre.

It would be the equivalent of a drunken Don Kaull coming on the radio and blurting out, I had to sit through two decades of Bull Sheet between NCAA berths, so don't tell me to be positive, Steve, I KNOW a shit show when I see one!"

You are kind of like the trusted color guy around here, TP, don't do that, board morale is riding on some of these takes.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cyril is a beast grabbing the ball rebound wise....but he has stone hands releasing the ball, as in shooting.

We're going to have to ride what we've got with him, good and bad......
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Yep, he's like Thing from Fantastic 4
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This Tweet better not be from anyone here on KB, if it is you will be eternally referred to as a complete loser by me.
7 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

19-22 ft

That’s how we won. Also getting 22 ft’s is huge.
1 x