1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Davidson is also the least athletic team, and Toppins athleticism could overwhelm them. Not the case with VCU. Agree with 83, this ain’t the game for 35 minutes from Jacob. Walker is going to get more minutes for sure. And with their pressure we will need 2 ball handlers in the game almost at all times.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

luke wrote: 4 years ago The VCU fans on their message board are a little overconfident it appears , claiming they are much better than URI and should win by 10 points
and making comments about how thin the URI roster is . I hope the VCU players are thinking the same thing . If the URI team that played at WVU
shows up VCU might get a real surprise. URI matches up well with VCU . Very similar teams . This could go down to the wire . Need a great defensive effort again tomorrow. Toppin could be the difference.

Fatts and Jeff need to limit turnovers they are going to press them hard for 40 minutes. Cyril vs santos Silva, well we know how that went last year. I think Jermaine and Tyrese could be keys in this game. Along with Walker helping Cyril battle santos silva
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
luke wrote: 4 years ago The VCU fans on their message board are a little overconfident it appears , claiming they are much better than URI and should win by 10 points
and making comments about how thin the URI roster is . I hope the VCU players are thinking the same thing . If the URI team that played at WVU
shows up VCU might get a real surprise. URI matches up well with VCU . Very similar teams . This could go down to the wire . Need a great defensive effort again tomorrow. Toppin could be the difference.

Fatts and Jeff need to limit turnovers they are going to press them hard for 40 minutes. Cyril vs santos Silva, well we know how that went last year. I think Jermaine and Tyrese could be keys in this game. Along with Walker helping Cyril battle santos silva
Not sure I'm getting the Cyril vs Santos thing. Cyril had 10 pts and 6 rebs in the game here last year, 10 pts and 11 rebs in the game at VCU and 7 pts and 9 rebs in the A10 tourney. In the beatdown at VCU, I would say the big factor was Fatts had 1 point in that game. Also Tate and Thompson were scoreless. Santos will get his points. He did every game. But we still won 2 out of 3.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago 3 of us will be road tripping down from RI for the game and some serious craft beer drinking. Funny that drive is about the same length as a flight to Europe, maybe that's what Rothstein was talking about...
Have fun! I am sure the Veil is on your list, but if driving right past D.C. anyway Aslin Beer Company is a must stop. Went there several years ago and they make some great IPAs.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

As far as Cox calling the VCU players pussies. That was started by Matt from @10talk and the VCU Ram Nation blog started. He and his friend were allegedly sitting near the URI bench during the A10 tourney and said his friend heard Cox say it during a timeout. Pretty stupid overall.

As for the game, it will be tough. I think there us some bad blood between Dowtin and this VCU team. I remember one of the VCU players trying to start something with Dowtin during the handshakes at the end. I think emotions will run high.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Not sure I'm getting the Cyril vs Santos thing. Cyril had 10 pts and 6 rebs in the game here last year, 10 pts and 11 rebs in the game at VCU and 7 pts and 9 rebs in the A10 tourney. In the beatdown at VCU, I would say the big factor was Fatts had 1 point in that game. Also Tate and Thompson were scoreless. Santos will get his points. He did every game. But we still won 2 out of 3.

You don't get it?? Seriously? Santos Silva went 20 20 against us in march. 17 and 12 in February regardless of outcome we had no answer for him.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You don't get it?? Seriously? Santos Silva went 20 20 against us in march. 17 and 12 in February regardless of outcome we had no answer for him.
and we probably won't tomorrow. Just saying it didn't matter as we won 2 out of 3 last year.
0 x
mrhodesnyy
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by mrhodesnyy »

Anyone in the Boston area trying to meet up to watch the game?
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

and we probably won't tomorrow. Just saying it didn't matter as we won 2 out of 3 last year.
And whats your take then? I believe Tyrese Jermaine and Walker are key for the reasons i mentioned. You simply stated you dont get the take. CT and Tate are no longer here Fatts has to play his game and not be careless with his shots. But at this point i think thats an obvious. Jeff will be battling Evans. So im not getting your take
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And whats your take then? I believe Tyrese Jermaine and Walker are key for the reasons i mentioned. You simply stated you dont get the take. CT and Tate are no longer here Fatts has to play his game and not be careless with his shots. But at this point i think thats an obvious. Jeff will be battling Evans. So im not getting your take
My take is Santos is going to get his. The key to this game is limiting their guards on the offensive end. That and needing to score efficiently.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Considering we have 2 very talented upperclassmen starting guards. Both of whom play great defense. Thats an easy take on this game. But i disagree that the backcourt will be the difference in this game. If im wrong and we still win that is fantastic. But i still still think that we need our frontcourt players to win and jeff and fatts just play well and not force shots.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

VCU preview.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Don’t agree with the “will it be hoping for lightning in a bottle in Brooklyn?” comment when this is just the 3rd A10 games of the year and the most difficult or 2nd most difficult game for any team in the A10. Losing at VCU will not determine URI’s year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Don’t agree with the “will it be hoping for lightning in a bottle in Brooklyn?” comment when this is just the 3rd A10 games of the year and the most difficult or 2nd most difficult game for any team in the A10. Losing at VCU will not determine URI’s year.
At Dayton is the hardest game for every team this year in the A10. And i dont believe we win at dayton this year so yes if we have at large aspirations it is a must win. It wasnt until we lost the past 2 games.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....going to watch at the Foxboro Sports Bar in Naples, going to bring some Rhody swag, see if they will display, anyone around?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

There isn't a fanbase more ill-equipped to take their losses, congratulate the other team, and move on. After every single loss, those goobers cry about everything under the sun stacked against VCU and it wasn't a fair fight. After their loss to URI in the A10 tourney last year, they could not stop bitching about the refs and how the A10 wanted them to lose to get second team into the NCAA tourney and how there was a massive conspiracy at play that made sure URI won.

Nothing would make me happier than to hand these entitled pricks another loss. They rival PC fans with their behavior and it really drives me up a wall.

If there is a weakness of theirs (outside of generally shooting the ball), it's that they give up a lot of offensive rebounds. Need Cyril, Walker, Harris and Toppin to get in there and get those second chance points and hopefully rack up fouls on them in the process.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago There isn't a fanbase more ill-equipped to take their losses, congratulate the other team, and move on. After every single loss, those goobers cry about everything under the sun stacked against VCU and it wasn't a fair fight. After their loss to URI in the A10 tourney last year, they could not stop bitching about the refs and how the A10 wanted them to lose to get second team into the NCAA tourney and how there was a massive conspiracy at play that made sure URI won.

Nothing would make me happier than to hand these entitled pricks another loss. They rival PC fans with their behavior and it really drives me up a wall.

If there is a weakness of theirs (outside of generally shooting the ball), it's that they give up a lot of offensive rebounds. Need Cyril, Walker, Harris and Toppin to get in there and get those second chance points and hopefully rack up fouls on them in the process.
I despise their fans. At the A10 tournament last year, some 5’6” 300 lb, 65 year old guy wearing a “VCU Graduate School of Social Work” tee called my husband out to fight him, while his equally fit wife sat between them eating a monsterous bag of assorted candy they smuggled into the Barclays.

My husband just looked at him and said “Really...just watch the game”
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They are the epitome of nouveau riche. Similar to some Friar fans. Go Rhody!
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

VCU fans are some of the worst I've encountered. I root for any A10 team. But its very tough rooting for that bunch.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I agree on their fans. I had assumed they were good fans because they do travel well and their building is tough to play in and they bang it out every time. Then I met some of them, first in person but now also online. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt after the first few interactions - every fan base has some idiots, ours included, so maybe the unpleasant and unreasonable ones I sat next to at breakfast in Brooklyn in 2015 were the exceptions. But no, everywhere I’ve encountered them since then they’ve been just as obnoxious and dumb. BAR is right in identifying a little bit of a nouveau riche element. Their fan base is basically brand new, not just to VCU or basketball but sports in general. They don’t get how fan bases normally interact with each other or talk about their teams. Dayton is a great counterexample. Even the most psycho fans on earth, SEC football fans, get the concept of conference camaraderie and friendly rivalry (when they aren’t murdering one another’s trees).
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'll be stepping into that vipers den of hatred today.

Thought about not going after the 2 game losing streak, but that ain't right.

I gotta be there for my Rhody Rams on days like these!

MAKE THEM CRY
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago There isn't a fanbase more ill-equipped to take their losses, congratulate the other team, and move on. After every single loss, those goobers cry about everything under the sun stacked against VCU and it wasn't a fair fight. After their loss to URI in the A10 tourney last year, they could not stop bitching about the refs and how the A10 wanted them to lose to get second team into the NCAA tourney and how there was a massive conspiracy at play that made sure URI won.

I despise their fans. At the A10 tournament last year, some 5’6” 300 lb, 65 year old guy wearing a “VCU Graduate School of Social Work” tee called my husband out to fight him, while his equally fit wife sat between them eating a monsterous bag of assorted candy they smuggled into the Barclays.

My husband just looked at him and said “Really...just watch the game”

Wow. Some people have no tact whatsoever. I’ve witnessed similar interactions with our fans and UMASS fans through the years.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .....going to watch at the Foxboro Sports Bar in Naples, going to bring some Rhody swag, see if they will display, anyone around?
You’ll be missed at George’s! Glad you’ll be able to see the game, tell the Mrs. I said hello.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .....going to watch at the Foxboro Sports Bar in Naples, going to bring some Rhody swag, see if they will display, anyone around?
You’ll be missed at George’s! Glad you’ll be able to see the game, tell the Mrs. I said hello.
.....thanks, just landed at Foxboro Bar, great place got three screens right in front.....Go Rhody....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
.....thanks, just landed at Foxboro Bar, great place got three screens right in front.....Go Rhody....
Do they have the sound on? or do you just get the screen along with other games?
Any other URI Fans there? VCU Fans?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Russell back in the starting line up today for the VCU game
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

....love the uniforms today......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Do they have the sound on? or do you just get the screen along with other games?
Any other URI Fans there? VCU Fans?
.....no sound, other games all over the place....Steve and Don minutes behind.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What a horrible foul call on Harris!
3 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I hope I don’t jinx it but love what I’m seeing so far...
A lot of communicating which is great.
I have been hard on Martin but his body language looks great today. He is in it. Great pass to Jeff on the break!
So far so good!!!!!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

5 minutes and 2 turnovers for Cyril
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

VCU throwing up nothin but bricks so far!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Kind of better than the situation at George’s. The 55 degree weather brought everyone out. There’s maybe 20 Rhody fans here, and 100 who aren't. Plus can’t hear the game.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......Fatts!....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Tough 3 quick fouls on walker... ouch....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago 5 minutes and 2 turnovers for Cyril
damn

You also see that he already has 6 rebounds and 2 blocked shots in 7 minutes??????

In addition Langevine, Harris, Toppin and Walker are alerting VCU shooting inside? VCU is not used to this length
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Holy crap what happened to Jeff Dowtin
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Can we now finally be done with "Tyrese doesnt play hard" talk.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Can we now finally be done with "Tyrese doesnt play hard" talk.
Missed some shots but making up for it
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......Toppin Time!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

CALL THAT TIMEOUT
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Shit. Toppin flying so high he’s going to get yelled at by the FAA
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great pass from Martin to Toppin. Toppin time.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....love the defense....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Not much to complain about right now. Good game plan and guys are playing well and with energy on both ends
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago 5 minutes and 2 turnovers for Cyril
damn

You also see that he already has 6 rebounds and 2 blocked shots in 7 minutes??????

In addition Langevine, Harris, Toppin and Walker are alerting VCU shooting inside? VCU is not used to this length
Announcer just said "Langevine had been in the face of almost every VCU player today. He had been playing tough and loud"
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Come on Rhody finish these past 3 min strong. Crucial stretch
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jeff ought to know better than that three point try.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Also, pretty cool they played Rush on the outro to commercial, in tribute to Neal Peart. RIP.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

....up 15!.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938