1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Virginia Commonwealth University
The Stuart C. Siegel Center, Richmond, VA
Saturday, January 11, 2020
2:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBS Sports Online
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App
Tune In Radio

Previews:
VCU Fan Forum

After picking up their first conference win on Wednesday night against Davidson, Rhody travels to the Siegel Center to take on the VCU Rams. The theme of this match-up is 6 of the last 7. The good news is, the URI Rams have won 6 of the last 7 against the VCU Rams, including knocking VCU out of the A10 tournament the last 3 years. The bad news is, URI has lost 6 of the last 7 when they travel to Richmond. From what I’ve heard from one college basketball prognosticator, a VCU home game at the Siegel Center is more life altering than a 10-day trip to Europe. As someone who has taken a 10-day trip to Europe, I respectfully disagree…but nonetheless, it is a very difficult place to play. VCU’s bench depth will be an advantage as they usually roll 9 or 10 deep compared to Rhody’s 8. No one on VCU is averaging more then 27 minutes a game while URI has 4 players playing over 30 minutes a game including Fatts & Dowtin playing over 35 min a game. Containing Santos-Silva is a must given his 20/20 performance during their last match-up. VCU will be out for revenge this weekend & I think they may get it. Let’s just hope the Rhody magic against VCU continues & they squeak out the victory. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
12-3, 2-0 in the A10
Last season: 25-8, 16-2 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 45
KenPom: 40
NCAA NET: 31

Leaders :
Points – Marcus Santos-Silva, 13.3 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Marcus Santos-Silva, 8.7 (Jr., F)
Assists – Marcus Evans, 2.7 (Sr., G) (2.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 8-7
H: 4-1, A: 1-6, N: 3-0
Most Recent Matchup: 3/15/19 75-70 W at A10s
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 21.5% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Blue Man »

This game has "everyone buy back in" or "everyone jump off the ship" written all over it.

Wonder if we'll see Toppin in the starting lineup again. Fatts off the bench was such a spark.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Limit turnovers and play 40 minutes of aggressive half court defense and we will be in the game. Failure at either of those two will result in a double digit loss. VCU can be beat but esp hard to imagine happening at their place, and with the way we are playing of late. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Interesting side note will be what happens between Marcus Evans and Jeff Dowtin. I expect Dowtin to get boo'ed (a rarity in college) when lineups are announced. VCU fan base was rabid mad at him alleging that he intentionally injured Evans in that A10 Tourney game, which was such a ridiculous claim. The two then got into it in the hand shake line.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I mean, my read might be off on the kid, but in my estimation there's 0.0 percent chance Dowtin intentionally tried to injure another player.
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Limit turnovers and play 40 minutes of aggressive half court defense and we will be in the game. Failure at either of those two will result in a double digit loss. VCU can be beat but esp hard to imagine happening at their place, and with the way we are playing of late. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Interesting side note will be what happens between Marcus Evans and Jeff Dowtin. I expect Dowtin to get boo'ed (a rarity in college) when lineups are announced. VCU fan base was rabid mad at him alleging that he intentionally injured Evans in that A10 Tourney game, which was such a ridiculous claim. The two then got into it in the hand shake line.
Their board is also still mad about David Cox calling their team a "bunch of pussies" so thats fun too
5 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While I will take a win anyday, the truth is that the Rams did not play well last night and the victory can be more attributed to Davidson's depleted line-up and the anomaly of bad three point shooting. So the mental and skills circumstances going into the game at Siegel are not encouraging for a big turnaround which is what is needed to keep this game competitive. Remember last year's debacle where we were out of it in the first 12 minutes, riding 20 turnovers and 18% shooting from three land, and putting in 13 buckets to VCU's 31. I see no difference this time around. VCU will have a field day with Tyrese's lazy passes, Cyril's bad hands, and Dowtin's high dribble.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Guess I'm not the only one that has a realistic take on things, huh Obie?

Except some on here go ballistic when I say it...but it's OK for others to express the same opinions.

Yeah I've got a reputation, but believe me, I'd love to see the day when everything turns sea shells and balloons.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They will play with an edge from hell in this game.

Santos Silva is a problem. Good thing we have more depth up front to stop him.

Great athletes, intense defense.

They dont shoot very well well though.

If we bring some defensive intensity ourselves we can really competitive in this one.

Tyrese just needs to be careful out there. Value the ball my dude.

Need big time Fatts and Dowtin for this one.

Cyril needs to make some lay ups again.

If it is close at the end I like our chances with Jeff and Fatts making game winning plays.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Guess I'm not the only one that has a realistic take on things, huh Obie?

Except some on here go ballistic when I say it...but it's OK for others to express the same opinions.

Yeah I've got a reputation, but believe me, I'd love to see the day when everything turns sea shells and balloons.
That day happened already when we didn't lose an A10 game for 365 days and you still were gloomy - our offense isnt good enough, we dont have bigs, Dan only recruits guards, we play hero ball, yada yada yada
9 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Did David Cox really call them a bunch of pussies??
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago This game has "everyone buy back in" or "everyone jump off the ship" written all over it.

Wonder if we'll see Toppin in the starting lineup again. Fatts off the bench was such a spark.
He will not do that again anytime soon.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Limit turnovers and play 40 minutes of aggressive half court defense and we will be in the game. Failure at either of those two will result in a double digit loss. VCU can be beat but esp hard to imagine happening at their place, and with the way we are playing of late. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Their board is also still mad about David Cox calling their team a "bunch of pussies" so thats fun too
He did?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago While I will take a win anyday, the truth is that the Rams did not play well last night and the victory can be more attributed to Davidson's depleted line-up and the anomaly of bad three point shooting. So the mental and skills circumstances going into the game at Siegel are not encouraging for a big turnaround which is what is needed to keep this game competitive. Remember last year's debacle where we were out of it in the first 12 minutes, riding 20 turnovers and 18% shooting from three land, and putting in 13 buckets to VCU's 31. I see no difference this time around. VCU will have a field day with Tyrese's lazy passes, Cyril's bad hands, and Dowtin's high dribble.
This game is different. We normally “get up” for this game. We will see.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

He did?
He did not, from what I have heard. But one of their bloggers posted that he did and their fans ran with it.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Am afraid that Santos-Silva will take Cyril and Jermaine to the cleaners in this game. We need an A- or B+ game from Cyril to have a chance of
winning with certainly only 2 or 3 turnovers as opposed to the 5 he had last night. Don't mean to pick on him but his play this year for the most part has been a big disappoint to me. A few weeks ago I remember him talking about his new found passing ability but we definitely have not seen that in the past 3 games. When he has the ball down low in traffic I would like to see him make a pass out to try and find an open teammate instead of trying a difficult shot or committing a charging foul. Forget taking a 12-15 foot jump shot like he did last night.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago

He did?
He did not, from what I have heard. But one of their bloggers posted that he did and their fans ran with it.
Yeah I was not stating that he did it, but they certaintly think he did
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Anyone going to the game?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Anyone going to the game?
I am told one game is the equivalent to 10 days in Europe.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Am afraid that Santos-Silva will take Cyril and Jermaine to the cleaners in this game. We need an A- or B+ game from Cyril to have a chance of
winning with certainly only 2 or 3 turnovers as opposed to the 5 he had last night. Don't mean to pick on him but his play this year for the most part has been a big disappoint to me. A few weeks ago I remember him talking about his new found passing ability but we definitely have not seen that in the past 3 games. When he has the ball down low in traffic I would like to see him make a pass out to try and find an open teammate instead of trying a difficult shot or committing a charging foul. Forget taking a 12-15 foot jump shot like he did last night.
I don’t see why Santos-Silva would take Langevine and Harris to the Cleaners when isn’t taking other teams to the Cleaners. Since December his rebounds have been:

Langevine, Harris, Toppin and Walker I’ll put up against any big man group in the A10.
Feeding this group to leverage their strengths is what we need to focus on.
I’m not worried about Santos-Silva.

C8FBB178-DFCE-4CFB-8285-E0994660767C.png
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The recipe for this game is pretty simple.

Play good aggressive defense and good play from Jeff and Fatts.

Our inside game with an improved Harris and addition of Walker should match up OK with VCU's.

The issue is the location.

We have to play our best game of the season to win this game. Anything less and it's an L.

A close loss in my book isn't enough. We want a Q1 win other than Dayton, here it is.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm pretty sure I'm going to the game.

I've spent exactly 10 days in Sweden.

Been to two games at VCU.

They are louder than most because they have bleacher like seating. They stomp their feet and yell and the whole place shakes.

The 10 days in Sweden were a lot more impactful to me.

We also didnt seem to mind all the ruckus 2 years ago against them.

Our young guys will probably be more ready for it this go around.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Am afraid that Santos-Silva will take Cyril and Jermaine to the cleaners in this game. We need an A- or B+ game from Cyril to have a chance of
I don’t see why Santos-Silva would take Langevine and Harris to the Cleaners when isn’t taking other teams to the Cleaners. Since December his rebounds have been:

Langevine, Harris, Toppin and Walker I’ll put up against any big man group in the A10.
Feeding this group to leverage their strengths is what we need to focus on.
I’m not worried about Santos-Silva.

C8FBB178-DFCE-4CFB-8285-E0994660767C.png
Bc basketball is about matchups, and in his last matchup against Cyril/Jermaine he put up 26 points and 22 rebounds and utterly dominated.

I agree with Eli that the Santos-Silva matchup is an impt one this game, and he had his way with our guys the last time. Also agree as it relates to Cyril, I wish someone charted the results of him putting the ball on the floor more than once...feel like anytime he dribbles the ball more than once 9 times out of 10 something bad happens (turnover, offensive foul, bad shot).
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

3 of us will be road tripping down from RI for the game and some serious craft beer drinking. Funny that drive is about the same length as a flight to Europe, maybe that's what Rothstein was talking about...
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Team Rankings sez; URI has now 28% chance to Dance, with 25% chance to win, as their #77 ranked team URI, to their #41 ranked VCU....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Having beaten VCU 6 out the last 7 times is one of the most surprising stats about our program in my opinion. Yes we’ve had excellent teams the last few years, but that’s still an impressive streak we’re on. Have we even beaten Fordham 6 out of the last 7 times we’ve played them? (Without checking I don’t think we have)
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

He did?
If it's the guy I'm thinking of it's someone I used to follow on Twitter and was normally pretty reasonable. But for reasons passing understanding ran with lies about the whole situation and wouldn't back down even though there was no basis in fact. I haven't followed him in a while, but he appears to be gone from Twitter (I'm not blocked because I think you can still see blocked accounts, just no info b/c you are blocked). I can't remember his name, but enough of it that it should have shown up.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Having beaten VCU 6 out the last 7 times is one of the most surprising stats about our program in my opinion. Yes we’ve had excellent teams the last few years, but that’s still an impressive streak we’re on. Have we even beaten Fordham 6 out of the last 7 times we’ve played them? (Without checking I don’t think we have)
We are probably closer to losing to Fordham 6 out of the last 7 than winning. While I'd have to look it up, I know we have lost at least 2 of the last 3.

Going back to the 2015/16 season, we have lost 3 out of 5 to Fordham. We split in 2015/16, lost in 2017 (which was the last loss to an A10 team until over a full 365 days later), won in 2018, and lost last year.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I hope the early fouling bug does not come back in to bite Harris this game. Or Langevine for that matter. Can't afford early foul trouble from either.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU has this season:
Won vs the point spread 4 times
Lost vs the point spread 11 times
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is going to be a tall order to win there

VCU playing better last few games

My guess for a line is VCU -8. ???
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The next chance for this team to make a statement win. Can they do it? I think they have the talent, and hopefully they get their first one of the year. Big game coming up.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just getting around to catching up on this board and I must thank "BAR'" for the stats which back up my feelings.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well we were 2-1 last year against VCU. Only loss on their court. Like I said, statement game for this team. Win this and the crowds come back.
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

He did?
If it's the guy I'm thinking of it's someone I used to follow on Twitter and was normally pretty reasonable. But for reasons passing understanding ran with lies about the whole situation and wouldn't back down even though there was no basis in fact. I haven't followed him in a while, but he appears to be gone from Twitter (I'm not blocked because I think you can still see blocked accounts, just no info b/c you are blocked). I can't remember his name, but enough of it that it should have shown up.
I think the Twitter account you're thinking of went by the name of @DistrictBaller ...he was a rabid VCU fan and pretty knowledgeable about both VCU basketball and the A10. He was was very active on Twitter for awhile.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago

I think the Twitter account you're thinking of went by the name of @DistrictBaller ...he was a rabid VCU fan and pretty knowledgeable about both VCU basketball and the A10. He was was very active on Twitter for awhile.
No it was Mat Shelton Eide - normally pretty good takes and thoughts on A10 as a whole. He wouldn’t back down from this
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

No it was Mat Shelton Eide - normally pretty good takes and thoughts on A10 as a whole. He wouldn’t back down from this
You're right.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU Ram Name Connection to URI
This is posted on the VCU Game Thread in their Message Board

This was posted by @BigE back in 2016:

RIP Green Devils
Hello Rams
VCU used to be known as RPI (Richmond Professional Institute) and the athletics teams were called the Green Devils. The university had long been associated with The Colleges of William & Mary system; however the Virginia General Assembly dissolved the system in 1962, and RPI and Norfolk College (soon-to-be ODU) became independent state universities.

The athletics department followed suit and embraced the new university. Taking effect for the 1963-1964 season, the men's basketball team took the court in
blue and gray uniforms and RPI chose Rams as its new mascot. Why? It was rather simple.

Way back in 1950, RPI hired its first full-time athletics director, Ed Allen. Mr. Allen was also the basketball and baseball coach. Allen was a Providence native, a 1943 graduate of University of Rhode Island, and came
to Richmond after his first wife, Edythe Johnson Allen, became an
instructor in social work at RPI.

So when it came time in 1963 to re-nickname the athletics teams at RPI, Allen didn't have to look to far. His sense of pride led him directly to Rams.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......who knew?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

You're right.
That's exactly who I was thinking of....Mat Shelton Eide. Typically very good, but would not back down on those baseless accusations regarding Cox and Dowtin.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago VCU Ram Name Connection to URI
This is posted on the VCU Game Thread in their Message Board

This was posted by @BigE back in 2016:

RIP Green Devils
Hello Rams
VCU used to be known as RPI (Richmond Professional Institute) and the athletics teams were called the Green Devils. The university had long been associated with The Colleges of William & Mary system; however the Virginia General Assembly dissolved the system in 1962, and RPI and Norfolk College (soon-to-be ODU) became independent state universities.

The athletics department followed suit and embraced the new university. Taking effect for the 1963-1964 season, the men's basketball team took the court in
blue and gray uniforms and RPI chose Rams as its new mascot. Why? It was rather simple.

Way back in 1950, RPI hired its first full-time athletics director, Ed Allen. Mr. Allen was also the basketball and baseball coach. Allen was a Providence native, a 1943 graduate of University of Rhode Island, and came
to Richmond after his first wife, Edythe Johnson Allen, became an
instructor in social work at RPI.

So when it came time in 1963 to re-nickname the athletics teams at RPI, Allen didn't have to look to far. His sense of pride led him directly to Rams.
Wow - and (on the surface) Allen seemed like their Keaney - AD, basketball and baseball coach, like Keaney was here.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Is anyone going to George’s for the watch party? I am thinking about attending. They lack a large enough TV to comfortably see the game, but it will be worth it to see the Ram Fam.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I am struggling with whether I despise the VCU fans more than the Pee Cee fans... at least the Pee Cee fans are drunk when they act obnoxious...the VCU fans are just plain obnoxious.

But I digress....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago I am struggling with whether I despise the VCU fans more than the Pee Cee fans... at least the Pee Cee fans are drunk when they act obnoxious...the VCU fans are just plain obnoxious.

But I digress....
It’s a Peeing Contest
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The VCU fans on their message board are a little overconfident it appears , claiming they are much better than URI and should win by 10 points
and making comments about how thin the URI roster is . I hope the VCU players are thinking the same thing . If the URI team that played at WVU
shows up VCU might get a real surprise. URI matches up well with VCU . Very similar teams . This could go down to the wire . Need a great defensive effort again tomorrow. Toppin could be the difference.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d love to see Toppin get 35 minutes
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

luke wrote: 4 years ago The VCU fans on their message board are a little overconfident it appears , claiming they are much better than URI and should win by 10 points
and making comments about how thin the URI roster is . I hope the VCU players are thinking the same thing . If the URI team that played at WVU
shows up VCU might get a real surprise. URI matches up well with VCU . Very similar teams . This could go down to the wire . Need a great defensive effort again tomorrow. Toppin could be the difference.
To me its all about which team can actually shoot tomorrow. Both teams have an anemic half court offense, and which one can actually make some jumpers will make a big difference.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I’d love to see Toppin get 35 minutes
You shouldn’t want anyone to get 35 minutes especially a Fr. Unfortunately due to Rhody’s depleted roster Jeff and Fatts need to log that many minutes. Toppin at 20-25 minutes in great. He should definitely be 6th in minutes played.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

More Toppin yes.

Let him be aggressive.

Hes got NBA in that body.

He can be a difference maker like his brother.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin played 27 minutes vs Davidson. We need more Toppin.
He is not a normal Freshman. He is immensely talented.
Time to roll the dice and go for broke in the A10 with Toppin
Toppin in starting line up
We need to shoot for winning the A10 Tournament
Dowtin only played 29 minutes vs Davidson. We are ok with Russell and Dowtin not in the game together all the time. Play the guys who are hot, who are playing the best.
2 x