Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Jermaine Harris - dramatic improvement?

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Good observation - “game is slowing down for him”..

Now hopefully he will rely much more on his instincts and talent vs going at full speed

Keep it up jermaine !
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Confidence breeds confidence. I love the decision to get the ball down low to him early in the game. Now if we can just get him to stop putting the ball on the floor and go straight up to the basket (Cyril too).

Mind you, I ain't complaining. We've got a world-class backcourt AND legitimate bigs!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

His development along with Walker is making us significantly better.

Takes so much pressure off of Fatts and Jeff.

Now we have three guys down low who almost any team in the country would want.

Then we got one of the best backcourt tandems in the country.

We are BALANCED.

A matchup nightmare for the A-10.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

17 and 7 are very nice stats yesterday for JH

He just needs to stay consistent with no regressions
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Since this tread exists - what a game by the kid yesterday.

I said it in the game thread but the last 2 games with Walker in the lineup have produced Jermaine's best 2 career games.

I am not sure if it's the confidence in knowing that there's someone to back him up if he picks up fouls, or if it's the fire to keep his spot because there
s someone so talented behind him - but either way this is exactly the kid I thought we were getting when I was cheering and watching his decision video 3 years ago.

If we have this Jermaine Harris the rest of the way - we will be a force in March.
Improvement isn’t linear. IMO Jermaine has been steadily showing improvement all year. He’s gotten much better at hedging ball screens and then retreating to get back in good defensive position. He is fighting for rebounds with much more assertiveness. The game is slowing down for him. Let’s hope it continues, always takes bigs longer since they usually have played their entire HS careers as the biggest guy on the court.
I think that says it well. I know he's been playing much better, but not sure it's got anything to do with Walker (then again, maybe it does), but "the game is slowing down for him" seems like a spot on description.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Takes so much pressure off of Fatts and Jeff.
Just last year, if Fatts shot as poorly as he did vs MTSU against ANYONE on the road, we'd be in trouble. This year, there are so many options to distribute the ball to including those guys closer to the hoop when shots aren't falling.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Like photos #1 and #4 of Jemaine in rebounding action vs Davidson

David Cox pulled Jermaine at the 12:33 mark in the first half. 7.5 minutes is the Longest I’ve seen Jermaine play before being rested.

Jermaine’s 27 minutes were only exceeded by his 28 minutes vs MTSU. David Cox is doing a nice job of bringing Jermaine along.

In the past 7 games Jermaine has committed only 15 fouls and has not fouled out of any games.

https://www.providencejournal.com/photo ... 09999/PH/1
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The plain fact is a stronger and improved Jermaine Harris has enormous impact on the team performance.
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Still need him to get more touches in the paint.
2 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......The Harris Project continues, the next phase is for him to learn better game/shot clock situational awareness, even with his poor career %, don’t mind him taking one now and then but has to show better judgement.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Def needs more touches in the paint, I think he has a much better scoring set from the paint than any of us have seen.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. We need more passes inside. These guys work hard to try to get open including Harris, Toppin, Langevine and Walker. Let’s reward them and leverage their capabilities.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'll date myself. Harris's ball catching skills remind me of former Red Sox first baseman Dick Stuart (aka Dr Strange Glove).

To make it to the next level what skill must Harris develop? This may explain a lot.

Can Harris dunk the ball? Does he have bad/weak knees?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Speaking of dunking. I've noticed Fatts hasn't attempted a dunk all season. Whats up with that? Harris has dunked but not that often, same for Cyrl. I want a two handed slam everytime. Toppin isn't a problem though.
1 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I mentioned this in the Davidson game thread, but I'll also post it here. In the first half, Harris had a nice hook shot down low, maybe 6 feet from the basket? I was at the opposite end of the court, so my judgement might be off. But either way if he can make a jump hook part of his repertoire, he'll be dangerous.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I mentioned this in the Davidson game thread, but I'll also post it here. In the first half, Harris had a nice hook shot down low, maybe 6 feet from the basket? I was at the opposite end of the court, so my judgement might be off. But either way if he can make a jump hook part of his repertoire, he'll be dangerous.
He can and I think its time to run some offense through him, a little more inside-out basketball probably wouldn't hurt.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I'll date myself. Harris's ball catching skills remind me of former Red Sox first baseman Dick Stuart (aka Dr Strange Glove).

To make it to the next level what skill must Harris develop? This may explain a lot.

72, Stuart had another nickname, that my dad when we went to games would yell "Stone Fingers!"

Also he would yell "Stuart, you hamburger!" loud enough for half the park to hear him.

Sometimes I felt like crawling under my seat lol.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I'll date myself. Harris's ball catching skills remind me of former Red Sox first baseman Dick Stuart (aka Dr Strange Glove).

72, Stuart had another nickname, that my dad when we went to games would yell "Stone Fingers!"

Also he would yell "Stuart, you hamburger!" loud enough for half the park to hear him.

Sometimes I felt like crawling under my seat lol.
How about Stuart should have been a gardener - with 10 thumbs he was bound to have 1 green one!
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He sure could hit though.

The only times Dad would be louder was when he was yelling at me lmao.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

the progression has been good. He should be banned from taking 3s.
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Jermaine has showed improvement during the last few games with holding on to rebounds/fighting for the ball. I still think he need to get down the court quicker on both offense and defense. He is also visibly more confident.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think he should be banned from taking 3s, just banned from taking early clock not wide open 3s. Couple games ago we had great ball reversal to find him for a wide open 3 and he looked smooth making it. Anything where has to rush or is closely guarded should be off limits.

But count me in the camp that he deserves more touches inside. I have seen him establish early low post position numerous times, or roll to the hoop on a PnR and be open and not see the ball. Reality is he has by far the best touch and offensive skills around the rim amongst our bigs and I believe if he sees the ball more inside it will cut down on any propensity to take rushed perimeter shots.
4 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of dunking. I've noticed Fatts hasn't attempted a dunk all season. Whats up with that? Harris has dunked but not that often, same for Cyrl. I want a two handed slam everytime. Toppin isn't a problem though.
Tough to dunk it when you can’t raise your hands over the top of your head unless you’re shootings threes. Kidding, but not completely. I swear that 80% of his rebounds are caught between the top his head and his waist. Get an ass on someone and get your hands high. Just another skill that he’s missing that drives me crazy and that a”bigs” assistant coach might help with.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It honestly was hard not to laugh when literally the whole arena groaned when Harris shot that three.

Can’t feel good when you shoot and 6000+ people go “oh what the fuck.”

....but I’m too hard on him. :roll:
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I could hear the "noooooooooooo" on television too lol. It was a bad shot for anyone.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We should be feeding Jermaine regular biscuits down low. There was one game where he got like 6 points in the first couple minutes. Get him a lot more touches. And unless he gets a note from his doctor I'd like to see him dunk every once in a while -- and keep the dribble to an absolute minimum.

I agree last night's hook shot was a thing of beauty. Would love to see more of that. Plus he's a terrific free throw shooter - he should coach Cyril on technique! And his defense has really improved.

As far as last night's trey goes... I think he got confused and thought 5,049 people we shouting GO!!! instead of NO!!! 8-)
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He had 4 points on 1-4 shooting and 5 rebounds in 27 minutes not exactly lighting the world on fire

I don’t mind him getting touches down low with his back to the hoop

If open from 3 he can take the shot but his % needs to improve
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago He had 4 points on 1-4 shooting and 5 rebounds in 27 minutes not exactly lighting the world on fire

I don’t mind him getting touches down low with his back to the hoop

If open from 3 he can take the shot but his % needs to improve

Banned.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago It honestly was hard not to laugh when literally the whole arena groaned when Harris shot that three.

Can’t feel good when you shoot and 6000+ people go “oh what the fuck.”

....but I’m too hard on him. :roll:
I agree. The game kinda sorta seemed in hand, but that shot definitely sucked the air out of the arena for a minute...and there were a bunch of "nooooo"s as he squared up...
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I’m not impressed at all with JH

Need more from him

A LOT MORE

dramatic improvement ?.. can I reword this as wishful thinking ?

wake up and stop sleep walking thru the season

I want consistent scoring

Demand the ball and play w assertive

All I see is passiveness from him

Give me a lighter so I can light a fire under his arse

And yes, I’m a tough grader
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Passiveness?
Are you serious?
He is sleepwalking?
It’s not his fault works his butt off to get open and the guards don’t pass it to him.

Harris continues to make progress, continues to get more minutes, has reduced his personal fouls and is only halfway through his Sophomore year.

I disagree with your brutal assessment.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think he's improved a lot. Knocking down an occasional shot, playing decent D, not picking 2 fouls in 1.5 minutes.... All A10, no. Improved? Definitely. People can complain all they want about him, but if he were to leave...the group whine here would be yuge. Yuge.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hey - I want to see more - what can I say

1 FG last Game

I need more and I need more consistency out of him

(I am glad my post lit a fire under all your arses - looks like I woke y’all up LOL)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with ya ECR he is averaging 7 points and 4 rebounds in 21 minutes a game

It’s an improvement but we need more

Next year would like to see him avg at least 11 and 7
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

We can agree to disagree on this

It’s not like I don’t like JH or calling him useless

I’ll admit my wording was wrong but not the part about wanting more from him

Peace

GO JH
GO RHODY
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We can agree...probably...that if he left the program tomorrow....there would be much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth. Yes? No?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’ve actually liked Harris’ play the last 5 games or so! Much improved.

I was worried he was going to approach my Akele level hatred but luckily he’s turned it around.

(Just stop shooting 3s.)
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago We can agree...probably...that if he left the program tomorrow....there would be much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth. Yes? No?
True statement. I like Harris and think I always just from how excited I was when we landed him. Did he come in dominate like some of us might have thought? The answer is no, but he is getting more confidence and will continue to improve. He looks like he is playing hard out there to me. We would hurt without him next year.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Harris' progress has been very good this year, I can see him matching or surpassing, at least in scoring, reef's desires next year. Many of our PFs have come here and had issues with fouls early in thier careers, now that JH has been much improved in that regard we can begin to see how he can make a difference for us in games. I'd bet he didn't dominate his HS games as a freshman either. I believe he will be an impact player most of next season and beyond.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Harris' progress has been very good this year, I can see him matching or surpassing, at least in scoring, reef's desires next year. Many of our PFs have come here and had issues with fouls early in thier careers, now that JH has been much improved in that regard we can begin to see how he can make a difference for us in games. I'd bet he didn't dominate his HS games as a freshman either. I believe he will be an impact player most of next season and beyond.

let's gooooooooooooooo !

see, you guys always make me fool good !

this site is like therapy... LOL
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jermaine has become a solid starter since Antwan became eligible. Since then he's averaging 10 and 5. Like some have said on here he needs more touches. He certainly drives me nuts sometimes, but I'm starting to see why so many high majors were after him.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......early on I often wondered what were those other teams thinking, and wondered how they might have used him in their programs......now, I see his role with us, and now glad he is here......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If I don't see Harris get the ball more, I'm gonna stand behind the bench and yell it until he does or until I'm kicked out. Vs Davidson, Harris had 4 FG attempts and two were threes!
1 x
GO RAMS
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

He can be a weapon if he gets the ball down low. He's got a nice little hook shot and should be able to score in the paint. What he should never do is take a 3. He's shown himself to be capable at the line. Perhaps he can start with some mid-range jumpers. He hits enough of those and then maybe you lift the ban on the 3.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago If I don't see Harris get the ball more, I'm gonna stand behind the bench and yell it until he does or until I'm kicked out. Vs Davidson, Harris had 4 FG attempts and two were threes!
And I think those things are related -- he doesnt see the ball down low so he starts drifting out to the path of least resistance on the perimeter. If they feed him down low my belief is that he will be more patient from the outside.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I disagree that he should never shoot a 3. If he's open I'm completely fine with him taking 1 or 2 a game.

Against Richmond he hit a 3 early... On one of the next possessions he had a nice pump fake at the top of the key with a defender in his face which lead to him getting by his man. If he didn't hit the 3 earlier the defender would of faded off of him.

He's 33% from 3 in the last 5. If he can stick around 33-35% that should be enough to keep the defense honest and open some lanes for other players on the floor.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

how do we see this and not the coach ?

maybe my logic was wrong along and it is all about touches

i certainly don't see him posting up much and actually getting the ball

feed the big fella more wil ya !
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Absolutely agree he should not be shooting threes when there’s 28 seconds on the shot clock. Doesn’t mean he should be banned from a 3pt shot. Simply make better shot selection, which I am certain he’s capable of. I was one of the people who said, “noooooo”.

One thing about the title of this thread is “dramatic improvement?” It’s called growth and maturity.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago any thoughts on if JH will be dramatically improved this year and over his injury ?

by dramatically i mean averaging 17-20 points PG
When you started this thread You we’re looking for a dramatic improvement to average 17-20 points per game. This could be behind your ongoing frustrations with Jermaine.
Averaging in this range is above Dowtin, Martin and Langevine. It would put him among the top scorers in the A10 as only a Sophomore.

Harris has been given the ok by David Cox to shoot the 3P. Cox has stated that publicly.

Last game Harris’ first 3P went in, out, in and out again - a shame it just missed. His 2nd 3P he took with too much time left on the shot clock. David Cox immediately removed him from the game. Lesson learned hopefully and taught by Cox.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah going to be highly unlikely he ever averages 17 maybe he tops out at 13 ??

Heck Cyril only avg 10 this year and he was pre season 1st team
0 x