1/8 | Davidson | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/8 | Davidson | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

No empty possessions. Fatts knows how to joke the stats with NET.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......loved the last hoop.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Take aways

Toppin-is good
Walker-?
Fatts-Our go to
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Really bad pass on the baseline by Martin
Not completely his fault. He got the rock with 6 seconds, approximately, on the shot clock. We need to stop holding the ball late in games
Kind of agree, kind of disagree. I agree in that he should not have had the ball at all (see my above post re: Jeff). However, there was 10 seconds on the shot clock and he dribbled right into help, was funneled to the baseline and left his feet without a plan - 3 mistakes. Recognize the help, recognize they’re trying to trap you against the baseline and avoid those things, and never leave your feet without a plan.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago He did have to shoot it. There was less time on the shot clock than the game clock. No issue for me.
Disagree. We were up eight, and the shot clock would have expired with less than one second to play. Even a Jerry Duh team couldn’t give up eight points in one second.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Tyrese needs to go above the ball screen in those scenarios. Love what we have with a Toppin. Bounce back for Fatts.

Davidson isn’t very good.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago He did have to shoot it. There was less time on the shot clock than the game clock. No issue for me.
Disagree. We were up eight, and the shot clock would have expired with less than one second to play. Even a Jerry Duh team couldn’t give up eight points in one second.
NET is impacted by win differential. As much as it’s not the most politically correct/good sportsmanship play it does (to a very small extent) impact our numbers
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

I suspect Fatts will be back in the starting lineup on Saturday
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ok, true that he didn’t have to shoot it but he couldn’t have ended the game by not shooting it. There’s time on the clock then you play, in my opinion. If the shot clock was off I say hold it but otherwise play it out.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Tyrese gets picked and barely moves while the A10 player of the year shoots a wide open 3. We are lucky it went in and out....He almost lost this for us.

On a positive note our defense and effort was much better tonight. Win Saturday and I’ll be excited again.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Really bad pass on the baseline by Martin
Not completely his fault. He got the rock with 6 seconds, approximately, on the shot clock. We need to stop holding the ball late in games
Kind of agree, kind of disagree. I agree in that he should not have had the ball at all (see my above post re: Jeff). However, there was 10 seconds on the shot clock and he dribbled right into help, was funneled to the baseline and left his feet without a plan - 3 mistakes. Recognize the help, recognize they’re trying to trap you against the baseline and avoid those things, and never leave your feet without a plan.
There was definitely mistakes by Tyreses but i still think we start the offensive sets to late in the shot clock when we are trying to hold onto a lead late in games. He was very limited on options that deep into the shot clock. Which in turn forces horrible plays.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

A win is a win! I like to see Jeff,fatts,topping,walker and CL on the floor together for a little bit. I have seen enough of Martin and even Harris. Maybe Harris even tho played better past few games could use a seat on the bench for the first few minutes. That 3 ball he took was just plain awful. .
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Got the win. Much improved all around. Still a work in progress though. Hopefully, Cox continues to press these guys, I agreed with every decision he made this game.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......nice cleansing breathe for everyone......onto VCU......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So we saw adjustments and most importantly effort defending the 3 point line.

Obviously some issues finishing at the rim - but I can forgive those for the effort and the result.

Phenomenal balls by coach to bench the engine of the team to send a message. Not perfect but a win and more importantly some positive thoughts going into the season-defining game at the Siegel Center.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

What about Cox? What about Fatts? They got it done and that’s all that matters. Onto VCU!
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Defense showed up.

It’s so odd that Davidson is struggling. I’m sure their fans are mystified.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It’s so odd that Davidson is struggling. I’m sure their fans are mystified.
Man they did look bad, I hadn't seen much of their games this season, it was surprising.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

We need to play like that x2 in Virginia.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good win. Not sure why Walker didn't play much.

Martin needs to have the ball less in crunch time.

Made it closer than it should have been until the last minute.

Fatts off the bench worked tonight. Message received.

When he's on, we win games.

Now let's get after it, one game at a time.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

People were subbed out as they were making errant plays. I liked that.

Everyone needs a reminder when they could be doing better, so they don't get into a personal funk that plays out right in the middle of the game.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Walker played just 3.5 minutes......on radio.....matchups came up.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

They didn't abandon the game plan. They kept moving the ball, and everyone was making an effort. Martin had some lapses and still needs to work at that, but you could see for about 2/3rds of the game he was making a deliberate effort with his passes. Then he reverted to his former self in the crunch.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......post game radio.....Cox said in response to muted question.....”he respects officials and their profession”.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Can someone please tell me what happened with Walker?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well. That stops the bleeding. Good win. Need to be locked in and focused against VCU. Take that game, and a glimmer of hope reappears.
Last edited by theblueram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Take aways

Toppin-is good
Walker-?
Fatts-Our go to
piggy backing this rhodymob5
Long - is going to be our glue guy (TJ)
Jeff - needs to control offense like tonight
Martin - had a frustrating shooting/TO night causing fouls. Hopefully, he can learn over time short term memory/confidence no matter the night he's having
Harris - I'm ok with 1 or 2 3pt att. But, in the right situation. He takes them at the wrong times. If those don't start going down then cox needs to step in.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

105 said it was about matchups....still just 3 minutes for Walker is strange.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I dont know about anyone else, but this win did absolutely nothing for me, sorry for channeling my inner Doombone, but this was a poor effort in my book. We played a team who was badly undermanned and still had to hang on in the final minutes to pull out a win. We continue to make the same mistakes game after game and allow teams with lesser talent stay in it until the end. I saw some of the worst looking bricks by our guys in this game than I've seen all season, I mean just horrid looking bricks flying all over the place and I'm still not sure what our strategy is on offense, we seem to score in transition and broken plays. The body language on a few of the starters still tells me this team is lacking in chemistry and not clicking on all cylinders. Happy with the win and hope they can give VCU a game on Saturday. The goal should be to playing our best ball come A10 tourney because that is our only shot at playing in the ncaa's.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Can someone please tell me what happened with Walker?
Toppin
10 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Toppin is a good, smart, high basketball IQ, athletic player, and he's only a frosh. Can play both forward positions. Is fearless. There aren't many holes in that game of his, and he's just going to get better and better.
4 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

If we play like that against VCU we will lose by 30. Davidson sucks. Let’s not pat ourselves on the back too hard.

Too many missed assignments
too many wide open shots
Too many turnovers in the second half
Too many missed free throws.

I’m happy we won but Davidson is bad and the game was still in doubt with two minutes left.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ok, true that he didn’t have to shoot it but he couldn’t have ended the game by not shooting it. There’s time on the clock then you play, in my opinion. If the shot clock was off I say hold it but otherwise play it out.
Respectfully disagree. Other team has called it off, game over. Disrespectful.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jaywin86 wrote: 4 years ago

Toppin-is good
Walker-?
Fatts-Our go to
Martin - had a frustrating shooting/TO night causing fouls. Hopefully, he can learn over time short term memory/confidence no matter the night he's having
Harris - I'm ok with 1 or 2 3pt att. But, in the right situation. He takes them at the wrong times. If those don't start going down then cox needs to step in.
Jermaine hit 2, 3PTs last game, right?

He’s starting to feel it
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

I’ll say that we don’t stand a chance against VCU pressure without Dowtin and Fatts playing well.

Was it our best game ever? No, but we exceeded Vegas, and Ken Pom, expectations.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago

Sorry, that thought process no longer exists. The NET is based on efficiency and scoring margin. So you step on your opponents throat and beat them by as much as you can.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The only thing I can assume with Walker is that he is lost in regards to the plays and sets run. He may need just a little more time. When Cox pulled him he had the assistants telling him what he was doing wrong on both ends still. Two years off, I’m sure he’s still catching up.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Sorry, that thought process no longer exists. The NET is based on efficiency and scoring margin. So you step on your opponents throat and beat them by as much as you can.
Guess I'm just old school then. Three points not gonna make or break the season.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Smokinjimit wrote: 4 years ago If we play like that against VCU we will lose by 30. Davidson sucks. Let’s not pat ourselves on the back too hard.

Too many missed assignments
too many wide open shots
Too many turnovers in the second half
Too many missed free throws.

I’m happy we won but Davidson is bad and the game was still in doubt with two minutes left.
I disagree. I think we played efficient basketball on both sides for 37 minutes. Davidson is struggling, (I refuse to say they are not good, because I know what they are capable of), BUT I think we saw some really good adjustments today across board. Shared the ball, took better shots, ran some nice sets, pressured the arc.

I’ll take it.

Go Rhody!
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

2 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Guess I'm just old school then. Three points not gonna make or break the season.
Yeah I hear ya. But I didn't make up the new rules. But if you can get an extra 3 pts each win at the end, the NET will be much higher especially if it takes you over the spread.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

In many areas of sports, I was always of the mindset that you show your opponents respect, don't stand on the gas peddle, etc.

However, in this league it isn't going to matter. Don't think for a second that you are going to gain anything by being respectful to the other teams in the A-10. Next time, they'll go easy on you.

No. In this league, everyone wants the same thing: to stampede you to get to the regular season or tourney Championship. There are no bonus points for being a good sport and a nice guy. You don't have to be an A-hole, but play with a chip on your shoulder, always.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, know we know what Fatts meant by the cryptic instagram message "new chapter in my life" etc.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago In many areas of sports, I was always of the mindset that you show your opponents respect, don't stand on the gas peddle, etc.

However, in this league it isn't going to matter. Don't think for a second that you are going to gain anything by being respectful to the other teams in the A-10. Next time, they'll go easy on you.

No. In this league, everyone wants the same thing: to stampede you to get to the regular season or tourney Championship. There are no bonus points for being a good sport and a nice guy. You don't have to be an A-hole, but play with a chip on your shoulder, always.
I get the idea. I have not watched many games this year where the team with the ball and the virtually insurmountable lead in the waning seconds, with the other team conceding, firing up a shot at the end. I'd love to know that stat.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Just got back from the Ryan Center. Enjoyed the game but can't wait for the students to return. Rhody played hard and I like the effort overall. I can live with a few defensive breakdowns and turnovers. Davidson #24 was playing mind games with Martin after he got pissed at not getting any foul calls. He had his hands on him multiple times before the ball was in play to annoy him. I was glad Fatts took the late 3 pointer.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Urifan91 wrote: 4 years ago I suspect Fatts will be back in the starting lineup on Saturday
I think stating is overrated. He still played almost the whole game.
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
jaywin86 wrote: 4 years ago

Toppin-is good
Walker-?
Fatts-Our go to
Jermaine hit 2, 3PTs last game, right?

He’s starting to feel it
He is now 3-27 in his career from 3PT.
One vs Richmond, Brown and WKU.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Was awesome to see Toppin starting...just bummed that I didn't bring my Toppin Time sign. I didn't look at it as Fatts being benched, I looked at it as Cox just shaking things up. Worked great. I hope they stay with it. Fatts is going has to play a LOT. So, why not bring him off the bench? It actually gives them something they haven't had all year...someone that didn't start, that you can bring off the bench that can score... And Fatts with 20+ off the bench - exactly what the doctor ordered.

Great time tonight. And...the season ticket holder gift pint glasses were decent as well...you knew they'd probably have a sponsor on them, but at least the logo was subtle.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Urifan91 wrote: 4 years ago I suspect Fatts will be back in the starting lineup on Saturday
I think stating is overrated. He still played almost the whole game.
I tell my kids that all the time... they do not agree.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Good win, they played good enough. Much much better than last two games. Toppin needs his minutes period. Fatts needs to play too did he even sit again after the first four minutes? Long had some good moments after a few games off. Martin struggled a little bit but I don’t blame him for those late turnovers. Harris was ok but that last three was very ill-advised. Overall we won, hopefully the worst is behind us and let’s go kick ass at VCU!
0 x