Week #10 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #10 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Note: This thread originated in the belief that good college basketball fans should have a healthy knowledge and respect for URI opponents, both OOC and conference. In reality, the thread became more important as a gauge of URI prospects for post season play, especially an at-large berth in the NCAAT. As URI post season prospects have quickly dimmed, many have questioned why bother. I will continue this thread for another week, but considering the amount of work and time required in putting this together every week, it will be put on the back burner if the URI prospects further diminish. I hope all will understand that move. Thanks for your participation to date

In the AP poll, Dayton moves up to the #15 spot, Maryland is now #12 and West Virginia at #17, moves down only one spot with the loss at Kansas. In the others category, VCU gets 5 votes.

In the USA Today/Coaches poll, Dayton moves up to #15 position, with Maryland holding down the #14 slot, and West Virginia keeping #17. In the others category, LSU gets 2 votes. Gonzaga remains the #1 team in both polls.

The cumulative record of URI OOC opponents is 94-70, 0.573, a uptick from the previous week.

With the losses to Brown and Richmond, all the URI metrics declined from last Monday's.

NET - 89, down 22
BPI - 89, down 15
Pomeroy - 86, down 12
Sagarin - 105, down 25

No Games in the A-10 on Monday night

One game involving URI OOC opponents:

#17 West Virginia at Oklahoma State, 9 PM. On ESPN2.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #10 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Blue Man »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Note: This thread originated in the belief that good college basketball fans should have a healthy knowledge and respect for URI opponents, both OOC and conference. In reality, the thread became more important as a gauge of URI prospects for post season play, especially an at-large berth in the NCAAT. As URI post season prospects have quickly dimmed, many have questioned why bother. I will continue this thread for another week, but considering the amount of work and time required in putting this together every week, it will be put on the back burner if the URI prospects further diminish. I hope all will understand that move. Thanks for your participation to date

In the AP poll, Dayton moves up to the #15 spot, Maryland is now #12 and West Virginia at #17, moves down only one spot with the loss at Kansas. In the others category, VCU gets 5 votes.

In the USA Today/Coaches poll, Dayton moves up to #15 position, with Maryland holding down the #14 slot, and West Virginia keeping #17. In the others category, LSU gets 2 votes. Gonzaga remains the #1 team in both polls.

The cumulative record of URI OOC opponents is 94-70, 0.573, a uptick from the previous week.

With the losses to Brown and Richmond, all the URI metrics declined from last Monday's.

NET - 89, down 22
BPI - 89, down 15
Pomeroy - 86, down 12
Sagarin - 105, down 25

OB I think I speak for all of us when I say you provide a tremendous amount of value and your effort here makes this board what it is.

Thank you so much for everything you do, and hopefully this team pulls off a couple shockers the next week and makes the thread have value again.

If you did so choose to put a halt until URI plays their way back into the conversation for an NCAA birth, not a soul would judge you.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

These threads are creme de la creme as far as I’m concerned!

Magnificent stuff!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks for the nice comments.

FWIW.......

NET RANKING* of A-10 TEAMS

School	       Week 7  Week 8	  Week 9   Week 10

Dayton	         #10	 #14       #12       #8		
Duquesne	 #20	 #66       #105      #66		
Richmond	 #22	 #54       #77       #53		
VCU	         #52	 #58       #52       #34		
Saint Louis	 #66	 #61       #60       #74		
George Mason	 #67	 #72       #71       #119		
Rhode Island	 #72	 #80       #69       #91		
Davidson	#101	 #99       #94       #94		
La Salle	#130	#123       #119      #136		
UMass	        #158	#139       #128      #121		
St. Bonaventure	#189	#180       #176      #169		
Saint Joseph's	#228	#210       #210      #222		
GW    	        #235	#232       #226      #256		
Fordham	        #258	#267       #266      #258		

NET RANKING* of URI OOC OPPONENTS

School	        Week 7	Week 8	  Week 9    Week 10

Maryland	 #11	  #20       #16       #14		
West Virginia	 #12	  #10       #9        #12		
LSU	         #26	  #57       #41       #30		
W. Kentucky	 #84	  #95       #122      #118	
Alabama	         #96	  #77       #65       #64		
North Texas	 #98	 #110       #111      #105		
Nicholls State	#114	 #193       #192      #162		
Providence	#146	 #119       #129      #100		
Long Island	#231	 #247	    #256      #270	
Brown	        #256	 #252       #259      #237		
Manhattan	#260	 #273       #274      #246		
Mid. Tennessee  #283	 #291       #296      #311

* Rankings continually change with new game results, but both ranking comparisons 
  are based on rankings as of Monday morning of each week. 
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watched the whole WVU win and they looked good

They play very tough defense and Oscar T and Culver are beasts down low
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Note: This thread originated in the belief that good college basketball fans should have a healthy knowledge and respect for URI opponents, both OOC and conference. In reality, the thread became more important as a gauge of URI prospects for post season play, especially an at-large berth in the NCAAT. As URI post season prospects have quickly dimmed, many have questioned why bother. I will continue this thread for another week, but considering the amount of work and time required in putting this together every week, it will be put on the back burner if the URI prospects further diminish. I hope all will understand that move. Thanks for your participation to date

NET - 89, down 22
BPI - 89, down 15
Pomeroy - 86, down 12
Sagarin - 105, down 25

I will certainly be cheering extra loud in an attempt to prevent your amazing thread from being put on the back burner :D
GO RHODY!!
BEAT DAVIDSON ON WEDNESDAY!!
BEAT VCU ON SATURDAY!!
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Amen!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#20 Ranked Penn State @ Rutgers (11-3) (2-1) is an interesting match up tonight
#11 Ohio State @ #12 Maryland will be a good one

Nice victory by Rutgers over Nationally Ranked Penn State - led by Ron Harper Jr

Maryland with the win over Ohio State
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please keep this thread going it’s a good spot to discuss all of the college hoops games
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No action in the A-10 on Tuesday evening.

A few URI OOC opponents are in action tonight:

#11 Ohio State at #12 Maryland, 7 PM. On ESPN.

PC at Marquette, 7 PM. On FS1.

Johnson & Wales (RI) at Brown, 7 PM. On ESPN+.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I nominate Louisville for best center court logo.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........jeopardy first match one goes to.....Ken Jennings.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BC over UVA...nice
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Maryland over Ohio State, 67-55. Other than for brief flurry, Maryland was in control of this game throughout.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Also, Brown routed D3 Johnson & Wales, 79-53, before an enthusiastic crowd of 77 people and 2 aliens who landed just to see what all the fuss was about. Zach Hunsaker who killed URI with threes was 0-2 in that category against J&W.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Pc with another win over Marquette. I knew they would be a good win.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PC is single handedly keeping our season alive right now.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago PC is single handedly keeping our season alive right now.
With an at large looking extremely rare, I want PC to get blown out every game.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago PC is single handedly keeping our season alive right now.
Cmon guys. Seriously? This is the kind of talk that just sounds ridiculous. Why don't we try to win a game first. We are a complete afterthought for even the NIT right now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ........jeopardy first match one goes to.....Ken Jennings.....
I actually watched this very good stuff by Kenny Jennings
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Completely agree with RamStock.

What others are doing means nothing until we right the ship.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Also, Brown routed D3 Johnson & Wales, 79-53, before an enthusiastic crowd of 77 people and 2 aliens who landed just to see what all the fuss was about. Zach Hunsaker who killed URI with threes was 0-2 in that category against J&W.
Kid had a career night against us, top your hat and move one AND STOP GIVING UP OPEN THREES ALL F’N GAME!!!!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago BC over UVA...nice
You would be hard pressed to find a coach who has had worse injury luck than Jim Christian at BC. I watch when I can because he is a Rhody guy who can really coach and I know a guy on the staff. Christian coached circles around Bennett last night. Was fun to watch with a lot of young kids on the floor. There are certain teams that I hope go 0-35. Umass, PC, for example but I generally like when NE hoops has good teams. Would like to see BC back on the schedule.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago BC over UVA...nice
You would be hard pressed to find a coach who has had worse injury luck than Jim Christian at BC. I watch when I can because he is a Rhody guy who can really coach and I know a guy on the staff. Christian coached circles around Bennett last night. Was fun to watch with a lot of young kids on the floor. There are certain teams that I hope go 0-35. Umass, PC, for example but I generally like when NE hoops has good teams. Would like to see BC back on the schedule.
I root for all A10 and for all New England Teams except for PC.

I root for UMASS because of old Yankee Conference Ties, UMASS is A10, UMASS IS New England, and I loved watching Julius Erving and Al Skinner play there.

I also like Christian from his days at URI and want to see BC do well.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

reef wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ........jeopardy first match one goes to.....Ken Jennings.....
reef, I picture you as a big James Holzhauer fan.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Cmon guys. Seriously? This is the kind of talk that just sounds ridiculous. Why don't we try to win a game first. We are a complete afterthought for even the NIT right now.

Oh please I understand our predicament.

I just maybe shouldn't have sounded so serious.

I said that in a kind of mystified way because they've pulled a bunch of wins out of their ass when they looked absolutely dead just a few weeks ago.

Of course we need to just worry about winning a damn game again. I'm not over here getting my hopes up too much, but the fact is, Alabama and PC keep improving their NETs and their efforts are holding onto the very last thread of hope for us.

Watching teams like that also gives me hope that we can survive our two game meltdown.

I'll just go for a win tonight though. Good lord we need it.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Duquesne will play their first true road game of the season tonight. They're the only team in the country that has yet to play a road game.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Action picks up in the A-10 on Wednesday:

Davidson at Rhode Island, 7 PM. On CBSSN.

Duquesne at Saint Joseph's, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

St. Bonaventure at George Mason, 7 PM.

La Salle at UMass, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

George Washington at Saint Louis, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Mississippi State at Alabama, 8 PM. On SECN.

Nicholls at Lamar, 8 PM. On ESPN3.

Arkansas at LSU, 9 PM. On ESPNU.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne will play their first true road game of the season tonight. They're the only team in the country that has yet to play a road game.
So insane. Wouldnt a time when you dont even have a home court be the perfect time to schedule road games? It makes no sense.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne will play their first true road game of the season tonight. They're the only team in the country that has yet to play a road game.
So insane. Wouldnt a time when you dont even have a home court be the perfect time to schedule road games? It makes no sense.
Duquesne has been favored in all 14 games they have played and have a (12-2) record. Duquesne is exactly even (7-7) ATS.

URI host Duquesne in January 22. Similar to Richmond, it’s an important game for both sides to win since there is only 1 game - no home and home. So a win is important for seeding in the A10 Tournament.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Duquesne has been favored in all 14 games they have played and have a (12-2) record. Duquesne is exactly even (7-7) ATS.

URI host Duquesne in January 22. Similar to Richmond, it’s an important game for both sides to win since there is only 1 game - no home and home. So a win is important for seeding in the A10 Tournament.
Not sure Duquesne should be giving anyone in the nation 8 points on the road. I would expect ST. Joes to cover this. I don’t care how bad they have been. I wouldn’t be surprised if they won. Don’t believe in Duquense
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago
reef, I picture you as a big James Holzhauer fan.
I sure am let’s see how he rebounds tonight
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......jeopardy James wins match two......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......jeopardy James wins match two......
#SpoilerAlert
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not sure Duquesne should be giving anyone in the nation 8 points on the road. I would expect ST. Joes to cover this. I don’t care how bad they have been. I wouldn’t be surprised if they won. Don’t believe in Duquense
Bad prediction. Duquesne throttled St. Joe's from the get-go, winning 78-60. The Dukes led by 27 points at one point.

We like to criticize Duquesne for their weak schedule, but comparing their cup cakes with ours, we find they routed five of them They beat Radford by 22, Lipscomb 22, Princeton by 27, Columbia by 36 and Loyola Marrymount by 21. Whereas URI beat LIU by 11, Manhattan by 9, MIddle Tennessee by 27 and lost to Brown by 10.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago

Bad prediction. Duquesne throttled St. Joe's from the get-go, winning 78-60. The Dukes led by 27 points at one point.

We like to criticize Duquesne for their weak schedule, but comparing their cup cakes with ours, we find they routed five of them They beat Radford by 22, Lipscomb 22, Princeton by 27, Columbia by 36 and Loyola Marrymount by 21. Whereas URI beat LIU by 11, Manhattan by 9, MIddle Tennessee by 27 and lost to Brown by 10.
Bad call. I think I still might lean on the side of St.Joes is an awful rather than Duquense is going to make an NCAA tourney run. Give them credit for beating the teams in front of them for sure. I get your comparison with URI and wouldn't be surprised at all if they are indeed better than us. They have accomplished more than URI up to this point. I would say the only teams deserve a bid in the A-10 are Dayton and VCU. If a third team wins the post season tourney then they will get three.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LSU takes down Arkansas in a thriller.
Alabama takes care of business vs Miss st.
0 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

And with Nicholls beating Lamar, 61-52, our OOC friends went 3-0 on the evening. That plus the Davidson win, will give our NET a boost. Will see how much tomorrow.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I imagine our NET could go up quite a bit.

Alabama's win was well over 10 points.

Arkansas NET was greater than LSU's.

Nicholls St was a nine point road win.

We won by 10 over the number 99 team.

Could go down a lot.

Last saturday it went from 90 to 80 just from our non conference opponents winning.

We would be right back in the thick of things with a win saturday.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As of this morning the NET bump up was 9 spots to 77.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Duquesne record is now 13-2. When you closely analyze the Duquesne basketball schedule, you have to shake your head at the cleverness and luck they showed in putting that baby together. They got an A-10 schedule that is skewed toward playing all the conference heavyweights in February. Also, when the Dukes come to the Ryan Center on January 22, the Rams will easily represent strongest opponent played to date, the strongest road challenge to date, all about three months into the season!!
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne record is now 13-2. When you closely analyze the Duquesne basketball schedule, you have to shake your head at the cleverness and luck they showed in putting that baby together. They got an A-10 schedule that is skewed toward playing all the conference heavyweights in February. Also, when the Dukes come to the Ryan Center on January 22, the Rams will easily represent strongest opponent played to date, the strongest road challenge to date, all about three months into the season!!
Does anyone know if the students are back for that one?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne record is now 13-2. When you closely analyze the Duquesne basketball schedule, you have to shake your head at the cleverness and luck they showed in putting that baby together. They got an A-10 schedule that is skewed toward playing all the conference heavyweights in February. Also, when the Dukes come to the Ryan Center on January 22, the Rams will easily represent strongest opponent played to date, the strongest road challenge to date, all about three months into the season!!

Yes we will, it’s the first day of classes
Last edited by Dino611 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes. Classes being on Wednesday January 22.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Thursday games in the A-10.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Central Conn. State at Long Island U., 7 PM.

Marshall at Middle Tennessee, 7:30 PM. On ESPN+.

Florida International at North Texas, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

Western Kentucky at UAB, 8 PM.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Also, Brown routed D3 Johnson & Wales, 79-53, before an enthusiastic crowd of 77 people and 2 aliens who landed just to see what all the fuss was about. Zach Hunsaker who killed URI with threes was 0-2 in that category against J&W.
Johnson & Wales won the postgame buffet contest, with their legendary Buddy Bruschetta, Calamari a la Carcieri, and Mussels Mattiello.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
Johnson & Wales won the postgame buffet contest, with their legendary Buddy Bruschetta, Calamari a la Carcieri, and Mussels Mattiello.
Woo-hoo! Go J-Woo!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Woo-hoo! Go J-Woo!
Thanks, guys. I was beginning to think this board had lost its sense of humor!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Woo-hoo! Go J-Woo!
Thanks, guys. I was beginning to think this board had lost its sense of humor!
.......are those items on the menus at the Holiday Inn?.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

2-2 in tonight's OOC results:

Long Island U. struggled to beat CCSU, 90-78. The Sharks only had a one point advantage with 4 minutes left in game. 1-14 CCSU's one win came over a D3 team and lost all its D1 games by double digits often 30-40 points..

Middle Tennessee played its best game of season, but they failed to defend their home court losing to Marshall, 79-75.

North Texas in nice 74-56 win over Florida International, a team enjoying its best start in several years.

Western Kentucky came up short at UAB to lose its first conference game, 72-62,
0 x