1/5 | Richmond | 12:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 1/5 | Richmond | 12:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe what I just heard coach Cox a on the post game show. "I thought our defense played really well." :shock:
I thought Defense was fine as well. Offense STUNK!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think it is probably time for some changes - lineups, minutes distributions, offensive and defensive approach/philosophy. Basically anything they can think of to tinker with, I would turn that knob just to see what happens. There’s nothing to lose now. Everything is about trying to catch lightning in a bottle two months from now. It is apparent that the way we are currently doing things is not going to suddenly become enough.
......yepper, Plan C.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

JFrech21 wrote: 4 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not a fitness expert by any means but these lifts look a little heavy.

Maybe effecting the shooting?
Key point is highlighted above.
Cool, want to elaborate on training for us then?
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Is Jim Baron dead? It's like his ghost just invaded Cox's body for that presser. His lips were moving, but I heard Baron's voice saying something about good Defense.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe what I just heard coach Cox a on the post game show. "I thought our defense played really well." :shock:
......I didn’t, to many open three looks.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Walking to the game today. Why? For no other reason than to be able to say I did. Honk if you see me! ;)
Just pulled into the Plains lot. I hope you’re walking with the wind. It’s brutal out here. If you’d be against the wind going home, you might want to hitch a ride.
I hope it went well.
Cut across the soccer/lacrosse fields...wind at my back...it went great. Both of my kids drove, there was no way I was walking back.
2 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not a fitness expert by any means but these lifts look a little heavy.

Maybe effecting the shooting?
No, because I’m not a fitness expert. Also, there was 5 seconds of lifting shown in a social media post, tough to base a credible opinion off of that. I will leave that to the professionals.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

No, because I’m not a fitness expert. Also, there was 5 seconds of lifting shown in a social media post, tough to base a credible opinion off of that. I will leave that to the professionals.
Awesome contribution to the forum Frech. Glad to have you here...
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Too many missed assignments on defense. I saw a replay where 5 URI players converged on a guy near the paint, only to have him kick it out for a three. Each player needs to trust the other to hold his ground
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
......I didn’t, to many open three looks.....
Open layups too. We had it down to 7 and couldn't get stops. No intensity on that side of the ball. Lack of effort was infuriating.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I gave this team and this so many passes the past two years. Not anymore. The lack of passion on this team reminds of Baron. Tons of talent with bad defense and bad coaching. This sucks....
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I missed the postgame, did Cox blame the amount of air in the basketballs as well?
6 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Awesome contribution to the forum Frech. Glad to have you here...
Sorry Bleedblue, here you go.....

I’m no nutrition expert but I think their pre-game meal is effecting their defense.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

The pre game sulk is affecting their mood
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think it is probably time for some changes - lineups, minutes distributions, offensive and defensive approach/philosophy. Basically anything they can think of to tinker with, I would turn that knob just to see what happens. There’s nothing to lose now. Everything is about trying to catch lightning in a bottle two months from now. It is apparent that the way we are currently doing things is not going to suddenly become enough.
Start Toppin.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Start Toppin.
.......yep, who then sits?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Even when their offense sucks if they could keep their offensive responsibilities they would be ok. Not sure if it is coaching or personal.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What we just saw today is a good shooting, finesse team that makes a minimum of miscues versus a disoriented team with poor shooting, making bad decisions and lacking in cohesiveness.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Start Toppin.
.......yep, who then sits?
...dons hard hat and says...Cyril.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I thought when he was hot that Fatts isn’t a PG and Taking Jeff off the ball would hurt this team in the long run and it is. Jeff has led this team for 3 years and been exceptional in doing it. Fatts is a scorer not a PG.

That is all! Been wanting to say this for weeks
6 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Benching Fatts May have been the best adjustment made all day. Let’s play BIG.
Good lord, you'll contort everything to give Cox credit. It's not an adjustment when the player is sitting because of fouls
Russell went to the bench because he picked up his 4th foul @ 12:37 remaining. He was not benched. Russell returned @ 3:42 remaining in the game.
Dowtin did go to the beach by design and Cox talked to him aggressively shall we say. But Russell only sat due to fouls.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Based on the last two games, this is not a post season team. I have reset my expectations.
4 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

That was a miserable effort. Fatts 1-12. Walker no shots, and completely lost his man on defense a couple times. Dowtin 5-14, the slump continues. Harris needs to understand that just because you can make a 3 now and again it does not make you a three point shooter. Long didn’t provide much of anything.

If they overlooked Brown because they were looking ahead to conference play .... then what the heck happened today?!?! URI should be better than Richmond.
2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

This team’s moral and attitude looks lost. I have a very strong feeling the Dana Tate issue is contributing to this performance in a big way. This team went from always playing hard to sleepwalking. My worry about Coach Cox was never his in game coaching or recruiting, it was running a program like Rhody on his first head coaching job. I really hope this is a hiccup and he learns and rallys this team, it will be a true test if he is ready to be the CEO of this program. That’s as important as his other gifts.
Last edited by Mongo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow what an uninspired effort by the team to play like that in the home conference opener after the Brown debacle

I had high hopes for this team thought we could compete for an at large now my expectations have been lowered drastically

We don’t look like a good team at all
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s not fair to Cox If the main issue is about Tate leaving after a mistake HE made. I can’t see the entire team shooting this poorly because of Tate. There’s something else in the water.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago I thought when he was hot that Fatts isn’t a PG and Taking Jeff off the ball would hurt this team in the long run and it is. Jeff has led this team for 3 years and been exceptional in doing it. Fatts is a scorer not a PG.

I've been saying the same thing for over a month.

Fatts makes no one better. Fatts is the anointed leader of this team. He must have been made made Co-Captain by Cox because he's in the Captain's Meeting with the refs before tip-off. Absolutely the wrong person for the job and it sends the wrong message to the team.

Why isn't Walker getting more minutes? He's like Toppin - loads of potential that will never be realized sitting on the bench.

Cox should start Cyril,Walker, Toppin, Martin and Jeff.

The reserves should be Harris, Russell and Long with the expectation of high energy for short bursts from all of them.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago I thought when he was hot that Fatts isn’t a PG and Taking Jeff off the ball would hurt this team in the long run and it is. Jeff has led this team for 3 years and been exceptional in doing it. Fatts is a scorer not a PG.

Fatts makes no one better. Fatts is the anointed leader of this team. He must have been made made Co-Captain by Cox because he's in the Captain's Meeting with the refs before tip-off. Absolutely the wrong person for the job and it sends the wrong message to the team.

Why isn't Walker getting more minutes? He's like Toppin - loads of potential that will never be realized sitting on the bench.

The reserves should be Harris, Russell and Long with the expectation of high energy for short bursts from all of them.
Fatts off the bench... NEVER would happen.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago It’s not fair to Cox If the main issue is about Tate leaving after a mistake HE made. I can’t see the entire team shooting this poorly because of Tate. There’s something else in the water.
Kids make mistakes. I think the punishment went overboard. I think the team didnt sign up to be in the military like Cox said his family was.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Walker didn’t do much and made some bad defensive mistakes. I like him, but he is no savior. I don’t think it matters who starts unless Fatts is going to strictly backup Dowtin and we know that isn’t going to happen. The players have to play better.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We literally had ZERO issues with Fatts before this week.

He was playing like an all-American.

How we suddenly look hopeless is unbelievable right now.

We have hardly struggled this year.

How can our confidence just be GONE immediately?

I guess losing to Brown just kills you.

Plus. We depend so much on Fatts and Jeff.

Must be just hard on them, especially when Fatts is the most hot/cold player in the history of basketball.

We went from needing help for Fatts.

Getting help.

Then Fatts is digressing as jeff has struggled almost the whole year.

Maybe we will perform better with less pressure on us every game as we blow our at large chances.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Beginning to looki exactly like last season and will probably bring the same results . It is very disheartening to watch this team fall apart
the past two games . Has all the turnover brought this on or is this team just reverting to form after a few games near the top of its
potential ? I hope it isn't the later because if so it is going to be a very long season and very tough to watch. At the level they are playing
they will have a difficult game every night and find it hard to break even in A 10 play . I had hopes for much more and I bet they did too.
I picked them to go 22-8 , they will be lucky to go 17-13 unless something dramatically changes. It is very depressing to think about. the
new word on offense has to be patience . work the shot clock down some while trying to find only good makable shots, no more prayers
from Fatts and Tyrese . Better shot selection might bring some better results . Coach Cox , show them some film of Dayton moving the ball
for good shots , maybe it will sink in.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Richmond is better.

Dig a hole like we did against a motion offense team and it’s hard to come back. Richmond strayed from their offense a bit which let us come back. At crunch time we could not stop their sets. End of story, too good. Davidson coming on the heels of this could be bad.

Once Fatts hit the pine and hero ball stopped for a time we ran our stuff and actually executed some nice plays. Would have liked to have seen that for 40 minutes. The tape of this game will clearly demonstrate to the team that hero ball dribble drive crap ain’t gonna cut it against disciplined/veteran teams like the Spiders.

I am a bit concerned that the coach might be losing his authority. The pregame circus is a embarrassment to our university, Cox has to get control of his team. If he can’t do it the seniors need to drop the hammer on the pre tip nonsense and in game hero ball.

Toppin has potential to be a monster. Agree completely with others that his minutes need to go way up. He gets lost a bit on defense but he’s eager to learn so a few blown covers and switches is a small price to pay for his offensive upside.

Not a good day in Kingston a few boo birds were taking flight.

Pre holiday optimism is gone...
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The last two games have shown me enough to conclude that this team is going no where. It just does not have what it takes to be successful. Far too much inconsistency. I see another season like last year with several high and lows. Probably headed to another record within a few games of .500 as befits a mediocre team. I could easily see another loss Wednesday with a defeat at VCU an all but certainty. We may be currently witnessing another funk like the 5 game losing streak of last year. Team will see some success and surprise in a few games but it won't be enough to offset the low points for a special season. Any thought of an NCAA bid (be it at large or via the automatic berth) is laughable. I predict that this team will not even do enough for an NIT invite. I fear that next season will be even worse as I am not impressed by the returning roster and what is coming in.

The sad reality is that the program is very likely in the midst of a multi year down cycle. The new money that Thorr decided not to reinvest in the program will probably be needed to make up for the coming shortfalls from declining revenues from the gate and sponsorships.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago It’s not fair to Cox If the main issue is about Tate leaving after a mistake HE made. I can’t see the entire team shooting this poorly because of Tate. There’s something else in the water.
Kids make mistakes. I think the punishment went overboard. I think the team didnt sign up to be in the military like Cox said his family was.
I cringed at his military quote recently as well...That type of environment doesn’t work for most
2 x
Clapton is God
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tate could make a mistake worthy of suspension and Cox could have made a mistake in how he handled the suspension, those aren't mutually exclusive things.

Something clearly changed around the Middle Tennessee game. Dana was at the home games and people noted how supportive of the team he was being. He wasn't sulking, he seemed to be accepting of the situation and trying to make the best of it, then all of a sudden he's in the transfer portal, which indicates he was no longer accepting of the situation. Did Cox change his mind with something in terms of the suspension and Dana thought that was unfair? Was there unclear communication about the nature of the suspension? We'll never know all we do know is something flipped.

It could be a massive coincidence that we've played by far our worst two games of the year in the immediate aftermath of Dana going into the transfer portal, but I doubt it. Dana seemed to be an off the court leader. Who knows how effective it was, but he seemed to buy into the culture Dan Hurley built here and worked to sell other guys in that class on coming here.

The body language of the players has been bad and Cox himself after today's game was saying the team needs to go back to playing for each other. Those are textbook examples of what it would look like if an off the court leader was treated unfairly by a coach and was leaving the team as a result. Players on that team would have low moral and would start playing for themselves instead of the team. Again, maybe a complete coincidence, but I doubt it, and if it's not a coincidence Cox needs to rebuild the trust with who is left and fast
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The last two games have shown me enough to conclude that this team is going no where. It just does not have what it takes to be successful. Far too much inconsistency. I see another season like last year with several high and lows. Probably headed to another record within a few games of .500 as befits a mediocre team. I could easily see another loss Wednesday with a defeat at VCU an all but certainty. We may be currently witnessing another funk like the 5 game losing streak of last year. Team will see some success and surprise in a few games but it won't be enough to offset the low points for a special season. Any thought of an NCAA bid (be it at large or via the automatic berth) is laughable. I predict that this team will not even do enough for an NIT invite. I fear that next season will be even worse as I am not impressed by the returning roster and what is coming in.

The sad reality is that the program is very likely in the midst of a multi year down cycle. The new money that Thorr decided not to reinvest in the program will be probably needed to make up for the coming shortfalls from declining revenues from the gate and sponsorships.
I agree completely. We overate our talent. Do we think Sheppard and Fatts are going to play well together? Two small guards. Toppin is the one guy that looks to be a big up and coming star. We have no shooting at all. Newsflash in today’s three point shooting for college basketball you will not win without it. I’m glad Harris has started to improve, but two players we had hope for in Hammond and Tate are gone. Why is Bishop going to come here? Unstable program currently.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago I am a bit concerned that the coach might be losing his authority. The pregame circus is a embarrassment to our university, Cox has to get control of his team. If he can’t do it the seniors need to drop the hammer on the pre tip nonsense and in game hero ball.
I need to know what you're talking about here. If this is a dig at the lay-up line then I really need to know if I went to the wrong game because I watched the whole time and saw regular dunks, lay-ups and midrange jumpers. No flashy dunk contest dunks, no showboating, literally not a single thing to get worked up over.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago

Fatts off the bench... NEVER would happen.
I used to think that...but, at this point...anything goes...
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago I am a bit concerned that the coach might be losing his authority. The pregame circus is a embarrassment to our university, Cox has to get control of his team. If he can’t do it the seniors need to drop the hammer on the pre tip nonsense and in game hero ball.
I need to know what you're talking about here. If this is a dig at the lay-up line then I really need to know if I went to the wrong game because I watched the whole time and saw regular dunks, lay-ups and midrange jumpers. No flashy dunk contest dunks, no showboating, literally not a single thing to get worked up over.
I actually missed it today got in late, was responding to other comments here. It’s been atrocious in the past so glad to hear the correction. The more layups the team puts through the hoop the better.

The team coming back today by running Cox’s offense was a good sign also so thanks for the additional bit of optimism.

I actually think Richmond is a dangerous team this year and expected this to be a tough game.

Go Rhody
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
I actually missed it today got in late, was responding to other comments here. It’s been atrocious in the past so glad to hear the correction. The more layups the team puts through the hoop the better.

The team coming back today by running Cox’s offense was a good sign also so thanks for the additional bit of optimism.

I actually think Richmond is a dangerous team this year and expected this to be a tough game.

Go Rhody
Tough game? We got manhandled. I know people bring up the win over over Wisconsin for Richmond, but what about getting destroyed at home by Radford.
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I think back to back loses has everyone very emotionally effected. Before the new year everyone was excited for conference play and Fatts was looking like an A10 player of the year. 2 games later and the whole forum has given up and no longer believes in the team or the players. Yes there has been transfers and a bad loss to Brown. 2 games is not the end of the world but I do agree we need to get out of this slump. Adjustments will be made and I will say I am still confident we can finish at the very least top 5 in the conference. Opportunities are still there to build a resume, it’s not like they just ran away. Layup lines, weight lifting and half time walk ins did not seem to be a problem to anyone the first quarter of the season so why should it now. Have some faith! We have struggled the past two games but two games will not define anyone’s season. Go Rhody!
5 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

#5 Sherod from Richmond was deadly in warm ups from behind the arc and went 3-4 from there during the game. That is the kind of shooter we lack.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago What kind of play was that to end the half? A 3 for Long....are u kidding me. What a wasted possession. We are not playing smart and are being out coached right now. Dowtin is in a major funk and Fatts is once again being asked to do to much and he is getting tired and frustrated and that’s only going to lead to bad play. We need a more balanced scoring attack. Because we are not a great shooting team we need to get points in the post through Langivine, Harris and Walker. I know Richmond has a tall big man but we have to at least try to attack him.
Not only having Long take the last shot of the half not smart, but didn't Cox still have his use it or lost it time out available?
He had already used the use it or lose it time out to try and stop and Richmond run.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great take. Let's sit our scoring leader.
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is a scorer not a PG.
Amen to this, but therein lies another problem since he shoots <40% from the field.

I have no faith that a benching is coming. If Cox had wanted to send a message, he would never have put Fatts back in the game with 5 minutes to play.
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Mostly agree here except for one change: Start Harris (he's really good with tipoffs) and sub Toppin in early. Also I am perfectly fine with more playing time for Fatts if he's taking smart shots and making them.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Something clearly changed around the Middle Tennessee game. Dana was at the home games and people noted how supportive of the team he was being. He wasn't sulking, he seemed to be accepting of the situation and trying to make the best of it, then all of a sudden he's in the transfer portal, which indicates he was no longer accepting of the situation. Did Cox change his mind with something in terms of the suspension and Dana thought that was unfair? Was there unclear communication about the nature of the suspension? We'll never know all we do know is something flipped.

It could be a massive coincidence that we've played by far our worst two games of the year in the immediate aftermath of Dana going into the transfer portal, but I doubt it. Dana seemed to be an off the court leader. Who knows how effective it was, but he seemed to buy into the culture Dan Hurley built here and worked to sell other guys in that class on coming here.
To add to this, the timing is definitely very unfortunate if it is a coincidence. The team played its best game of the year on 12/29, thrashing MTSU on the road. The next day, on 12/30, it was reported that Tate had entered the portal. The team has played its two worst games of the season in the week following.

I hate to participate in totally baseless speculation, but hypothetically if Cox decided after the MTSU game that the team was clicking without Dana and then communicated to Dana afterwards that his suspension would continue, could that explain the timing of Dana’s entering the portal? And, depending on how the rest of the team felt about Dana and that situation, could that explain in part the atrocious effort and energy in the last two games? Obviously I don’t know if that was actually the timing - Dana could have decided well before that to leave and everyone could have known about it before they departed for Tennessee. The players could theoretically not care that much about it. But the whole situation has played out under a shroud of secrecy so speculation is going to fill the information vacuum, and the poor performance is only going to encourage the desire to speculate and try to explain what is behind it. The timing of the situation and the poor play definitely don’t do anything to discourage it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

After an embarrassing loss to Brown I expected 40 minutes of passion and fight. I guess Cox thinks giving up wide open 3 pt shots and layups is solid defense. How many times did someone lose their man today? This fanbase knows what great team defense is. We were spoiled by Dan in that department. I blame one person for this effort. David Cox.
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
After an embarrassing loss to Brown I expected 40 minutes of passion and fight. I guess Cox thinks giving up wide open 3 pt shots and layups is solid defense. How many times did someone lose their man today? This fanbase knows what great team defense is. We were spoiled by Dan in that department. I blame one person for this effort. David Cox.
......yes to all this, there were two defensive lapses I recall, one was the Spider out of time out for easy bucket, another on an out of bounds hoop by Richmond with no defender in sight.....to me those are not examples of playing good defense, makes me wonder what a Coach thinks is bad defense......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938