Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Dana Tate to Transfer

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Whatever the details are or were, Cox should have put a finite time on the suspension, if not right away, then soon after, as Dan did with Bouknight.

Either a number of games or a number of days.

If he had done that, Dana might still be here?
The administration called the shots on this one.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Whatever the details are or were, Cox should have put a finite time on the suspension, if not right away, then soon after, as Dan did with Bouknight.

Are you saying Cox had no say on the length of the suspension?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

I’m sorry, this really isn’t a proper forum to discuss any of this.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Then stop talking about it. You can only say so much (i.e., vague assertions that unfailingly deflect blame from the coach while offering no information to support those assertions).

“Listen guys, this is obviously not Cox’s fault. Literally nothing is! It’s this other person’s fault, but I really can’t tell you why or how just make sure you remember the one thing that really matters here: the coach cannot be blamed for any of the failings of the basketball program.”
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

I’m sorry, this really isn’t a proper forum to discuss any of this.
Huh? You're the one who said it!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whatever.....whether it was Cox or the administration.....
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Then stop talking about it. You can only say so much (i.e., vague assertions that unfailingly deflect blame from the coach while offering no information to support those assertions).

“Listen guys, this is obviously not Cox’s fault. Literally nothing is! It’s this other person’s fault, but I really can’t tell you why or how just make sure you remember the one thing that really matters here: the coach cannot be blamed for any of the failings of the basketball program.”
Then be a mod, and delete all of it. Tate’s personal issues shouldn’t be posted anywhere on the board. That’s the most responsible, adult, thing to do here.

And You’re right, I’ll do what I promised and just shut the hell up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nobody posted Dana’s “personal issues.” The only reason most posters here would know he had “personal issues” is because of what you’ve said about it while trying to make sure the coach doesn’t get any blame.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Nobody posted Dana’s “personal issues.” The only reason most posters here would know he had “personal issues” is because of what you’ve said about it while trying to make sure the coach doesn’t get any blame.
Yeah, I was the only one, huh?! Gtfoh.

Someone posted exactly one of Tate’s “personal issues” and I’m still the bad guy.

What a clown. I’m done.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago They may look like grown men, but at the end of the day they are impulsive and emotional young men.
I can't believe how many are downplaying what happened here. This is not boys will be boys. Holy cow.
Have you read any of the recent studies on young male brain development? Even the US Supreme Court is acknowledging the brain science of teenage through mid-twenty year old young men and the bad choices they make.

That is my point...

I guess you were very mature and had a very developed brain when you were twenty, so it does not apply to you. It’s not an excuse but a consideration.

Oxford did a study that showed MRI scans of men not fully maturing until the age of 40.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Explains a few things.....my wives must have found out.....
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Off topic but brain development(ie decision making) is also one of the reasons companies have the 25 year old requirement to rent a car
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Should have a 40 year requirement to get married.
3 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Should have a 40 year requirement to get married.

With a term limit
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Note to self: Keep wife away from KB Board....
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

My bad everyone - I did not see that someone actually posted what happened. Not cool. I will remove the posts.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago My bad everyone - I did not see that someone actually posted what happened. Not cool. I will remove the posts.
Thanks, TP!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Since when did reporting the reason a player got suspended grounds for deleting the post???

Holy hell talk about being soft.
3 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Off topic but brain development(ie decision making) is also one of the reasons companies have the 25 year old requirement to rent a car
I hate rental cars. They always smell like cigarettes and BO.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Let's not be naive or, worse yet, show exaggerated "holier than thou" attitudes. Anyone knows that the reason behind's for Tate's suspension would come out sooner or later and I have absolutely no problem with Rhody15 posting that information. I would only castigate him if the information was made up. BTW, if anyone bothered to ask a current URI student who is interested and knowledgeable about the basketball program, you would have got that info in a nano second.

TP, you always amaze me with your, to put it politely, inconsistencies; one minute you are berating Cox for extreme and unwarranted penalties on Tate, the next you use your energy and focus to take action against a poster with a message of explanation. I guess in your mind the whistleblower deserves more derisive action than the crime itself.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Let's not be naive or, worse yet, show exaggerated "holier than thou" attitudes. Anyone knows that the reason behind's for Tate's suspension would come out sooner or later and I have absolutely no problem with Rhody15 posting that information. II would only castigate him if the information was made up. BTW, if anyone bothered to ask a current URI student who is interested and knowledgeable about the basketball program, you would have got that info in a nano second.

TP, you always amaze me with your, to put it politely, inconsistencies; one minute you are berating Cox for extreme and unwarranted penalties on Tate, the next you use your energy and focus to take action against a poster with a message of explanation. I guess in your mind the whistleblower deserves more derisive action than the crime itself.
What if his info was incorrect? Is this a gossip board or a sports fan board?

Should we use this as a forum to disparage student athletes with rumor and innuendo?

If that’s the case, let’s all talk about what we know, or think we know, about why Mading left quickly....
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t think it is inconsistent to think that the penalty was more punitive than warranted and that we do not want to be the public source of rumor about the college kids associated with our basketball program.

I think you could make a good argument in favor of letting certain types of rumor and speculation fly, but at the end of the day this isn’t 4chan. I think a lot of posters expressed dismay that the information would be shared in this forum, and in this case I thought they had a point - obviously the school and player have behaved as though they prefer to keep the matter private. We welcome “reporting” here, for sure, but this isn’t the New York Times where our sole focus is getting the truth to the public no matter the cost - we’re going to weigh the interests of the stakeholders, especially in our community, and take it on a case by case basis. I see the other view, but in this case I made a call to delete the information.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Reached out to three separate people on three separate occasions.

It is 100% correct.
3 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Is this a gossip board or a sports fan board?
I think..."yes"?
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I don't think any less of Dana and think its a shame that he will transfer. Technically speaking Rhody 15 was more reporter than a whistleblower.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So DC Rams can call someone a “woman” as an insult, DOUBLES DOWN on it when he gets called out, yet that post still stands.

In no way shape or form should what I posted have gotten deleted. This world get softer by the day.
2 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s not really about soft or not soft - I don’t think anyone was personally offended by what you posted. It’s more about are we going to post stuff here, even if it is true, that is potentially harmful to people we care about. If this was a newspaper then there wouldn’t be much argument, but it isn’t. Anyone can come here and read what we are writing. Dana is going to go somewhere else looking for an opportunity to start from scratch. The “newsworthiness” of the information is not clear to me. That’s the criteria.

As far as what other people say, try as we might we cannot read every post ever made on this board. He did have his account suspended not too long ago for something similar, so not sure if you’re referring to the same incident or a different one. As always, to the extent you are super bothered by something posted here, please let us know and we will check it out.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I don't think any less of Dana and think its a shame that he will transfer. Technically speaking Rhody 15 was more reporter than a whistleblower.
I don't think any less of him either. He's a young kid who made a mistake. Big deal. I'm somewhat surprised at the outrage by some on this board when Rhody15 revealed the reason for the suspension. Talk about overreacting. If you want to be upset about something, be upset about the miserable effort our team put forth in last night's game. Now THAT'S something to get pissed at!
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If you are just tuning in, I am in fact pretty pissed about last night. I’m not really mad at Rhody15 for posting the info. I get it, and he’s not “in trouble” or whatever. I explained above why I thought the info should come down, but it was a close call and I don’t feel super strongly about it either way.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think it is inconsistent to think that the penalty was more punitive than warranted and that we do not want to be the public source of rumor about the college kids associated with our basketball program.

I think you could make a good argument in favor of letting certain types of rumor and speculation fly, but at the end of the day this isn’t 4chan. I think a lot of posters expressed dismay that the information would be shared in this forum, and in this case I thought they had a point - obviously the school and player have behaved as though they prefer to keep the matter private. We welcome “reporting” here, for sure, but this isn’t the New York Times where our sole focus is getting the truth to the public no matter the cost - we’re going to weigh the interests of the stakeholders, especially in our community, and take it on a case by case basis. I see the other view, but in this case I made a call to delete the information.
Yes, several posters did express dismay which is exactly my problem with your approach - "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" as opposed to using reason and asking really what is wrong with giving out this information. Please do not give me the "holier than thou" attitude especially when you critiqued Cox without knowing what the actual act was, not to mention your distasteful Stansbury comment. rhody15 has a right to be pissed about this.

In the final analysis Tate is gone and we have to deal with that reality, but as boosters who buy tickets and donate to the program, we have a right to know how this program is being run and what standards are being applied.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I feel like I did use reason and think thru the pros and cons of having the information posted here, and I explained what my thought process was. It is fine if you or other people disagree with my conclusion - someone would either way - but don’t say I didn’t use reason because you disagree with how I weighed the different factors.

While I do agree to some extent about our investment in the school and the program making the information of interest to us (I’d stop short of saying we have a “right” though), I thought other countervailing interests outweighed the desire of fans to know.

Not that it matters, but I think I was correct about what I said about Dana’s suspension. I did not have all the details at the time but based on what I had heard I was fairly certain of the type of thing we were dealing with - some sort of off-court infraction which showed bad judgment but no moral turpitude. The more I learned about the situation, the stronger I felt about it. I think the situation was mismanaged at some level by some adult or several of them.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Shout out Rhody15 for the info, much appreciated.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 4 years ago Shout out Rhody15 for the info, much appreciated.
It's an odd sitch, and I would bet I'm not alone in saying this - I appreciate R15 posting the info, and I can also understand the moderators taking it down. I guess if you don't like what the moderators do...become one (no thanks) or start your own board (also no thanks). Knowing the facts stopped fueling the speculation, which seemed like a very good thing. Folks can (and did) say, "don't speculate", but in the absence of facts, that was going to continue to happen. There's still plenty of open questions on how this was handled, i.e., "what are the administration's rules around stuff like this? How much of it is at the discretion of the coach?"
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Next time when the board is wondering about information about the team, I’ll keep it to myself!

Don’t want people throwing a hissy fit like a 7 year old.
1 x
Go Rhody
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I feel like what Bouknight did was 2x worse. What did he get 2-3 games? As I said before I’m 100% for discipline, but I don’t think this was that big a deal. Don’t blame Tate for being upset.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Some of this additional info is already public. Any traffic ticket or charge can be searched on certain websites for rhode island as public info. That is all I'm saying. So not like it isnt exclusive to this website.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

And this website is not huge, 1100+ registered users and about 150 active users. The actives wouldn't even fill one section of the Ryan Center. Exaggerating its influence as if it's the NY Times is silly.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
It's an odd sitch, and I would bet I'm not alone in saying this - I appreciate R15 posting the info, and I can also understand the moderators taking it down. I guess if you don't like what the moderators do...become one (no thanks) or start your own board (also no thanks). Knowing the facts stopped fueling the speculation, which seemed like a very good thing. Folks can (and did) say, "don't speculate", but in the absence of facts, that was going to continue to happen. There's still plenty of open questions on how this was handled, i.e., "what are the administration's rules around stuff like this? How much of it is at the discretion of the coach?"

The other thing is.

It seems we are one of the only programs that keep things so hushed.

I mean, you hear crazy shit that people do all the time.

Kudos to protect the kid. I can respect those sympathies, but in most cases everyone would have known way before a fallout from the loss to Brown.

It just seems with everything URI nothing is discussed. Not even injuries really! From the basketball team to the football team.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What does it matter now?

Everyone knows about it now.

What good does it do to delete the posts?

Since I guess the administration controlled the suspension...were there legalities involved?

The entire thing is a mess.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Dana Tate is just a more brazen Britt McHenry, I honestly feel like the juiciest detail of all of this is that "The administration called the shots on this one".
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

STC wrote: 4 years ago Dana Tate is just a more brazen Britt McHenry, I honestly feel like the juiciest detail of all of this is that "The administration called the shots on this one".
Is it as juicy as the nonsense football spreads Hal Kopp used to post about?
0 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm on the side of information and transparency. There's no minors to protect here. We're talking about adults and while they're not pros we do spend good money to see them play.
8 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Dana was damaged more by the speculation over what happened than what happened. Those who knew the details and teased other Board members did the program and Dana a disservice. Do you really believe that a future school interested in Dana won't proceed with caution?
4 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

This place is a cesspool between the Tate thread, Hammond thread, and Brown thread.
4 x
Common sense is not common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The board has been juicy of late but it’s always must read material !!!!
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago

I can't believe how many are downplaying what happened here. This is not boys will be boys. Holy cow.
Have you read any of the recent studies on young male brain development? Even the US Supreme Court is acknowledging the brain science of teenage through mid-twenty year old young men and the bad choices they make.

That is my point...

I guess you were very mature and had a very developed brain when you were twenty, so it does not apply to you. It’s not an excuse but a consideration.

Oxford did a study that showed MRI scans of men not fully maturing until the age of 40.
Not true - I’m 50 and haven’t matured yet
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He has now been removed from the forum photo banner.
2 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Most likely reading way too much into an Instagram story from last night but... just hope this chapter involves Rhody turning their season around in the upcoming weeks!
Screenshot_20200107-153406.png
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Juicy! Looking forward to seeing what this board comes up with as to what the message means!
0 x