1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The season isn’t over. Almost every team has a bad loss. My concern is that this team just isn’t that good.
They don’t have the shut down defense the good teams had under Hurley. That defensive strength carried them thru some difficult stretches on offense.

I agree with the post that Rhody has struggled against some weak teams at home. Taking a quick look at it (I have been at or watched every game but MTenn) They have had 4 good games and 5 bad games. I eliminated Maryland, LSU & WV in that analysis.
Good games
Alabama
N Texas
PC
M Tenn

Bad games
LIU
Nicholls
Manhattan
WKU
Brown

So at this point they are a very inconsistent team. It’s hard to believe they will become consistent with tough competition and 9 road games coming up in conference.

The biggest disappointment this year so far is Jeff. I am shocked by his performance. I thought he was a potential First Team All A10.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I know it sucks to lose to Brown, but if you want to feel better about yourselves, y’all should just go and count the bad losses on our resume.
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Dowtin stunk tonight and frankly, has stunk all season. Kid didn’t seem like he wanted to play whatsoever, minimal minimal effort.
Agree on this a 100%. He certainly hasn’t come up big for this team at all. Never takes a game over. I think Fatts and Dowtin just don’t work well together. At least for in Dowtin’s case. He had three terrific seasons and a great URI career, but not many great moments against the big teams or when we really needed him this year. Look at the experiences he has playing in big games over his career. He couldn’t boost his game in a high school gym tonight.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

NYG they do that every game and it annoys the hell out of me. I wanted to ask coach about it when they had the meet and greet in September, but my buddy wouldn't let me.
Time for a new buddy :lol: . I never really noticed it til tonight, but it was weird. Maybe I just noticed it because they were walking towards us and it looked like a small pack o' zombies. If I had the chance, I'd ask coach about it the next time I saw him.
you will be there saturday. watch the way they walk out in the 2nd half led by jeff. i guarantee you will see the same thing you saw tonight. i actually find it embarrassing.
I don't find it embarrassing (I do enough stuff to embarrass myself without taking on embarrassment from others), but dang, it was definitely a bad, wtf look...
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Can we at least wait until we play our first A-10 conference game against Richmond before we declare this season a complete disaster?
6 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Better to lay an egg tonight (and we certainly did) than on Sunday.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Dowtin stunk tonight and frankly, has stunk all season. Kid didn’t seem like he wanted to play whatsoever, minimal minimal effort.
Agree on this a 100%. He certainly hasn’t come up big for this team at all. Never takes a game over. I think Fatts and Dowtin just don’t work well together. At least for in Dowtin’s case. He had three terrific seasons and a great URI career, but not many great moments against the big teams or when we really needed him this year. Look at the experiences he has playing in big games over his career. He couldn’t boost his game in a high school gym tonight.
Look back at his performances his Fr and Soph years. Plenty of big performances. Go look at the biggest stage of all - the NCAA Tournament game against Creighton. He had 23 points. He was 10-10 from the line. Hitting most of those when Creighton was fouling late to try to comeback.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Look back at his performances his Fr and Soph years. Plenty of big performances. Go look at the biggest stage of all - the NCAA Tournament game against Creighton. He had 23 points. He was 10-10 from the line. Hitting most of those when Creighton was fouling late to try to comeback.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like he's still playing decent, but just CAN NOT get his shot to fall.. I mean, he has a great pull up, gets great elevation, it's just not dropping... (sad face)
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I said this year! Never questioning what he has done his previous three seasons. Strictly 2019-20 he has come up very small. You can’t question his past. He was fantastic. This is worst season by far with what is expected of him at this point in his career.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like he's still playing decent, but just CAN NOT get his shot to fall.. I mean, he has a great pull up, gets great elevation, it's just not dropping... (sad face)
His midrange game, which is usually deadly, has disappeared. I’ve also noticed defenders seem to stick with him more this year. Idk if he’s lost a step or what but he’s not getting by his man as much. If he can be at his best we can beat anyone in the conference.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago

.....who is she cheering for?
I was watching for that and she never cheered for either side (from what I could see)

She only cheers for taxes and fees.

Lol. The best post.of the night.
Thanks, we needed this. 😀
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jeff Dowtin just posted from the Ryan Center floor on his IG Story at 11:00 after getting back from Brown game. He is practicing his shooting. Post says at the end of the day you have to believe in yourself because that is all you have. Jeff isn’t giving up.
9 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

This team has got to get some shooters ASAP . It has been the number one problem for several years , but Terrell and EC carried the load .
there hasn't been any consistent shooter to replace them . It's about time they try to bring in a trio of shooters . it looks like even the weak
teams can find shooters , but not URI or do they not prioritize that part of the game ? If they don't, they better wake up . Dayton has a whole
roster of shooters . URI will have to shoot well just to stay in the game against Dayton and maybe Richmond too. They will have no chance
against them if they shoot like they did tonight . It was very frustrating to watch shot after shot clanking off the rims, very depressing . If
the Middle Tennessee announcers had watched tonight's game they wouldn't have believed it was the same URI players that had destroyed their
team.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Jeff Dowtin just posted from the Ryan Center floor on his IG Story at 11:00 after getting back from Brown game. He is practicing his shooting. Post says at the end of the day you have to believe in yourself because that is all you have. Jeff isn’t giving up.
That's how you bounce back!
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramfan85 wrote: 4 years ago

I was watching for that and she never cheered for either side (from what I could see)

Haha! You’re welcome. 🙃😎
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Jeff Dowtin just posted from the Ryan Center floor on his IG Story at 11:00 after getting back from Brown game. He is practicing his shooting. Post says at the end of the day you have to believe in yourself because that is all you have. Jeff isn’t giving up.
That's how you bounce back!
JEFE!!
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

As many others have stated, the offensive game plan was nonexistent. As for the defense, it made Choh look like Draymond Green: ball handling, passing in the lane, tough rebounds. It also made Hunsaker look like J.J Redick.

The staff really needs to start focusing more on bringing a shooter in. Gotta get with the modern game.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Sorry to say, but I saw her clapping for Brown :evil:
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

After Rhody cut the deficit to five, I stated aloud to those sitting near me that if Brown didn’t run it’s next offensive set to free Hunsaker for a three, they were crazy. Sure enough ..... to me, that three was the dagger. Martin recognized the need and ran the right play. He was the better coach tonight.

I don’t care what Hunsaker was shooting from three going into the game, he was on fire tonight. The staff needed to emphasize that his man had to stick with him and not help. On at least four of his six threes, he was squared up and had plenty of time to get his shot off.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago After Rhody cut the deficit to five, I stated aloud to those sitting near me that if Brown didn’t run it’s next offensive set to free Hunsaker for a three, they were crazy. Sure enough ..... to me, that three was the dagger. Martin recognized the need and ran the right play. He was the better coach tonight.

I don’t care what Hunsaker was shooting from three going into the game, he was on fire tonight. The staff needed to emphasize that his man had to stick with him and not help. On at least four of his six threes, he was squared up and had plenty of time to get his shot off.
24.4% from 3 coming into the game on the year. Exactly 19 from 78 in fact lol. Then goes 6 for 8. Averages 10 pts a game and drops 22.🤦‍♂️
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

BTW, Richmond is now 11-3 after tonight's 84-52 beat down of St. Joe's.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Sorry to say, but I saw her clapping for Brown :evil:
Quelle surprise. 🤡 How convenient for her. 👹
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Brown gamer and notebook here. Notes cover transfers, Jermaine Harris and more.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree on Dowtin letting us down this year expected so much more from him and good to see him out practicing after the game the kid is a winner

Big game vs Richmond let’s get back on the winning track
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....have not read all the posts yet, regarding Hunsaker, maybe the box+1 defense would have denied him the ball and not let him get comfortable, an on the fly adjustment.....worked on my CYO team....
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Good to hear. Jeff really needs to refind his game.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I'm not sure this loss is as much as a killer as we think. Our season will be made or broken in conference. An at-large is still a possibility IMO. It's a long season. We have a couple clunkers every year and last night certainly qualifies.

But, our defense is not as good as it once was, so we need to rely on our offense more, which lowers our margin of error. Doesn't look like we'll win all the rock fights, and they'll be some for sure.

We desperately need Jeff's A game soon.

We can still succeed this year, and we as fans need to take it one game at a time just like the team. Forget the NET and all that crap. Win the next game!
7 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not sure this loss is as much as a killer as we think. Our season will be made or broken in conference. An at-large is still a possibility IMO. It's a long season. We have a couple clunkers every year and last night certainly qualifies.

But, our defense is not as good as it once was, so we need to rely on our offense more, which lowers our margin of error. Doesn't look like we'll win all the rock fights, and they'll be some for sure.

We can still succeed this year, and we as fans need to take it one game at a time just like the team. Forget the NET and all that crap. Win the next game!
AMEN to this....
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not sure this loss is as much as a killer as we think. Our season will be made or broken in conference. An at-large is still a possibility IMO. It's a long season. We have a couple clunkers every year and last night certainly qualifies.

At large was somewhere between unlikely and long shot before Brown. If uri plays the same way it needed to on January 1st it will nab an at large but, like I said, that was sort of hail mary anyway. They had 3 "A" games according to kenpom and was 0-3. The material difference in at large chances because of the Brown game is pretty small. Just a road loss. Time to rip off a 14-4 A-10.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What’s BS is that none of those “A” games were home. I don’t know how many teams would do better then even 1-2 vs those three teams.
1 x
GO RAMS
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

If you lose to Brown by 10 in essentially a home game you will not make the dance. It shows the team doesn’t under the big picture. The big picture being you have no big wins and zero room for error. Knowing that they should have come in and out hustled this team from the start. They didn’t. They are not going 14-4 in conference. They will probably need to make the a-10 finals.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Next game.

18 more to go.

Bad losses will happen.

Let’s handle some adversity.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

AMEN to this....
Please.

We have experienced big gaps between games during the holidays and exam breaks - just like all teams do - things get boring. Discussing the NET on a message board had nothing to do with this loss to Brown - nothing, zero, nada. If your going to bring up NET discussion then maybe bring up all the diversions of time discussing Top 10 of the decade. Subject Started here and was a good subject, JV did a fantastic job running with it, then even Stone Freeman came up with his own version of Top 10 plays. But in reality that had nothing to do with last nights performance - nothing, zero, nada.

We lost. Rhody Fans showed up big time with lots of holiday spirit - the players and the coaching staff underperformed in a small Brown Pizzatola Center packed with 85% Rhody Fans, 15% Relatively quiet Brown fans.
Bill Koch, Stone Freeman, Kevin McNamara, Bill Reynolds, Frank Carpano, Ruthie Polinsky, Gina Raimondo with her husband all showed up. The Projo staff in force. But Rhody laid an egg.

It happens. Now learn or don’t learn from it.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We lost because we came out as flat as a sidewalk, sleepwalking for all intents and purposes.
Allowed 85 points to an Ivy League team. Zero intensity on that end of the floor.
On top of that Fatts reverted back to a volume scorer with too much 1 on 1 play, for the first time this season and Jeff continued his mediocre play thus far. Had nothing to do with needing more shooters or foul shooting or discussions about the NET on keaney blue.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago We lost because we came out as flat as a sidewalk, sleepwalking for all intents and purposes.
Allowed 85 points to an Ivy League team. Zero intensity on that end of the floor.
On top of that Fatts reverted back to a volume scorer with too much 1 on 1 play, for the first time this season and Jeff continued his mediocre play thus far. Had nothing to do with needing more shooters or foul shooting or discussions about the NET on keaney blue.
Agree! Happens to every team in the country. Truly head scratching performance. Will see what these guys are truly made of the next 18 games.

Go Rhody!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t think anyone blamed that performance on fans talking about NET rankings. I think the point is that the NET discussion is no longer relevant because of the performance. Talking about that stuff is part of what makes college basketball fun, and why this season no longer is.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago What’s BS is that none of those “A” games were home. I don’t know how many teams would do better then even 1-2 vs those three teams.
Its not BS its a scheduling error. The idea is to schedule mid pack away games you can win that qualify as Q1. Problem is WVU and Maryland are very good this year making the risk of losing all your solid games high. in an ideal world WVU or Maryland would only be mediocre this year allowing for actually winning one of those games.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago We lost because we came out as flat as a sidewalk, sleepwalking for all intents and purposes.
The truth is we probably aren’t as good as we all portrayed them to be. We are an slightly above average A-10 that will finish anywhere from 4th to 6th most likely. Borderline NIT. The defense is bad this year. A long way from when we were one of the top defenses in the country on defending the three
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Need to scrap the ridiculous offensive strategy with Cyril and play defense like they care.

It was way more than just bad shooting that lead to this loss.

NOBODY showed up, including the staff.

Borderline NIT is what I've been saying for a while now.

I got caught up in the Walker mania and thought we were going to be better since he started playing.

If we lose to Richmond 12-6 will be a stretch.

I based that on a 7-2 home record and 5-4 road record in conference.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Need to scrap the ridiculous offensive strategy with Cyril and play defense like they care.

It was way more than just bad shooting that lead to this loss.

NOBODY showed up, including the staff.
Agree with this completely

Staff and players all get an F last night, if Rhody came out and at least some players showed up and they had a few stops and gave a D+ effort, they still would have prob covered the spread, last night was very Fordham 2.0
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fatts’ percentages coming back down to earth, almost shooting under 40% from the field and under 30% from 3...
0 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

1-for-11 over the final 5:29. That ain't gonna get it done.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Lol this is hilarious. We lose a game, and everything needs to be scrapped.

Last game “I really love this team, they are so fun to watch.”
Or “Coach is really good at...”

Now it’s “I always knew we weren’t that good”, “season’s over, we suck”...woah is me....

On game night, the better team, THAT night, will win. Brown had a night.

MOVE ON!

Next game!

Go Rhody!
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago No defensive intensity we were sleepwalking out there. Cannot allow 85 points to Brown. Got outrebounded against a team with no size.
Unlike last two games ball got sticky no sharing of the ball, no working for good shots instead settled for bad ones. Looked a lot like last year in that regard, for the first time all season. /
Every team has a stinker, that was ours. I’m always of mindset that good wins outweigh bad losses since every team near bubble will have some. We will have to finish 2nd in league to feel good.
  • Harris - Dowtin Early. Started the game off Harris easily wins the tip then Dowtin throws a long, lob pass from about half court to Harris who had hustled Down the court, scored and was fouled - made the old fashioned 3 point play. After that we did not leverage our size advantage near what we should have. Not sure why we always start games off successfully going down low to Harris then we stop or reduce a lot
  • Not taking Timeouts. At 1:18 left in half Brown went up 38-32 on a DeWolf layup. Cox removed Dowtin at 1:07 and put Toppin in. Steal at :37 to go by Martin. Several around me were screaming at Cox to take a timeout. Cox had not taken a single Timeout and had 4 remaining. Earlier Fans were screaming at Cox to take a Timeout when Brown went on some runs but he refused. Martin missed at :24 and then guess what, Mike Martin calls Timeout to set up a play. Brandon Anderson missed a 3PG with :01 remaining fortunately for us. No idea why we would go into the half with 4 Timeouts in the bank. Not like the team didn’t display ample opportunities for some strategic Timeouts the way they were playing.
  • Height advantage not leveraged. Big Men Shooting FG%: Harris went 4-6, Langevine 6-8, Walker 3-7 for combined 13-21 = 62%. Guards Shooting %: Russell 9-24, Martin 3-11, Dowtin 3-12 for combined 15-47= 32%. Game,set,match.
  • 3 point shooting Issues. Harris 1-1, Walker 1-2 (banked shot) so big men 2-3 on 3P’s. Russell 1-9, Martin 0-3, Dowtin 1-4, Long 0-1 for combined 2-17. While Russell went a super combined 7-9 against WVU and PC with 3Ps, he is now 1-6, 0-5, 1-9 in his last 3 games for 2-20 on 3P shots
  • Rhody Fans Score Point. Russell took a 3P shot late 2nd half and creatively drew a foul. Refs called it 2 shots. We fans were screaming check the monitor and it was loud. Fatts hit the first. We are still screaming. Cox and Coaches are motioning to Refs. They stop, check monitor and 3 shots awarded. 1 point to Rhody fans. But why not call a Time Out to get Ref attention? If you didn’t want to freeze Fatts he froze anyway with monitor look. Not understanding reluctance to call Timeouts.
  • Another strategic Timeout Opportunity Lost. Harris got called for a moving screen. About same time but just later Russell got poked in eye. Russell wanted a foul but call had already been made on Harris. Russell was not in good shape holding his eye. Again, why not call time out? Check Russell out. Discuss the call on Harris and the non call of the eye poke. No stoppage.
  • Russell drive inside and shot was blocked. Looked like a clean block to me, not close to a foul but Russell kept arguing even the next time down the floor he was still jawing with the Ref. Forget the non call and play ball. In my view there was no foul. But again, why doesn’t Cox use a Timeout? Why save them? Do they carry over to the next game? Sic. Cox needs to take on the complaining role with the Refs - much less so the players. The call is done, move on. Cox needs to manage his players doing so much Ref complaining
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Lol this is hilarious. We lose a game, and everything needs to be scrapped.

Now it’s “I always knew we weren’t that good”, “season’s over, we suck”...woah is me....

MOVE ON!

Next game!

Go Rhody!
If Brown “has a night” against you then you aren’t good. It’s a shitty way to find out that your team sucks when you had high expectations. I don’t think the expectations were unfair, I think the team is a disappointment. There’s no moving on. Might as well not be anymore games - have to play them but they’re basically exhibitions at this point. Season is over. If you don’t like that, don’t lose to fucking Brown.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Lol this is hilarious. We lose a game, and everything needs to be scrapped.

MOVE ON!

Next game!

Go Rhody!
If Brown “has a night” against you then you aren’t good. It’s a shitty way to find out that your team sucks when you had high expectations. I don’t think the expectations were unfair, I think the team is a disappointment. There’s no moving on. Might as well not be anymore games - have to play them but they’re basically exhibitions at this point. Season is over. If you don’t like that, don’t lose to fucking Brown.
No sense in talking to you. Shut down the forums for the year as well. Pitiful take. I’m moving the fuck on, good luck with your issues.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Looked to me like Fatts was the only offense they had last night (were there any plays actually called or run?) and Jeff's shot just isn't dropping...not sure what else those guys can do. As much as I'm not a "D" guy...I hate to say it, but I think they've lost significant defensive intensity last year and this...and that that could have made a difference last night.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Providence lost at home to Brown in 14-15' by 11 points, which is wayyyy more embarrassing then what happened last night. PC made the NCAA tourney that year. Point is, this lost doesn't make us a bad team all of a sudden. It was our worst game yet, but you can't automatically disregard past performances because of one game. This team IS GOOD so move on and stop the Armageddon rhetoric.
2 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

MOVE ON!

Next game!

Go Rhody!
Seriously tho? Duke lost to Stephen F Austin at home. Alabama and PC lost to Penn, both at home. This shit happens all over the country.
3 x