1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by McRam »

A lot can be said about everyone having a bad night. What stands out to me is the coaching tonight.

You had a team giving a half hearted effort-that maybe the effect of mid year transfers had a very profound negative effect on the attitude of the team; do you think you should have seen a screaming coach, one who probably get a technical to try to motivate the team and crowd. Do you think maybe pressing them a little might have changed the pace of the game? Absolutely, no change in the game plans until the last 2-3 minutes. Tyrese is playing horrible defense and could not figure out by himself that his man(Mr H) was killing us, I would have expected Cox to ensure Mr. H was not going to get any more threes by some very simple directions to Tyrese.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago And who's fault is that coach?

The team played like I've never seen before. The whole line up and positions. I blame the scout. I blame Cox for approving the game plan.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with those who say the season isn’t over

It’s a devastating loss but let’s see how the conference season plays out

One horrible loss won’t define who this team is
4 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Agree with those who say the season isn’t over

Season isn’t over cuz we have more games to play. The idea of a resume strong enough to be in the at-large conversation is over...
3 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago If I had a dollar for every time a brown travel wasn’t called I’d have 20 bucks
Really??? Ur gonna bitch about the officiating when we laid a colossal egg
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Any fool
Knows you stick to your strengths

Cyril
Up
Was
A
Joke

A
Bad
Joke
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Winning the A10 tournament is easier than winning the regular season in my opinion. Getting hot at the end of the year for 3-4 games is easier than running the table all season. Especially with our inconsistency. The focus should be on the tourney, unless you think we can beat VCU, Dayton and Davidson without losing any Gimmie games. After today, that looks like a long shot.
So what your saying is let’s just practice for the next 18 games and gear up to win 3-4 games in the A-10 tourney without slipping up?
Any better ideas? :roll: Seems like a few people are crying in a pillow right now. Don’t think that gets us to the tournament.
It just sounds like you don’t understand college basketball. Suggesting that we get ready to win the A-10 tournament over 4 days before the season starts in the A-10 and expecting it to happen is just ridiculous
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

The thing is, you need to face the cream of the A-10. Obi Toppin... scary player, yes? Still, you need to go in there with the same attitude that you go in there with every top team faced in the OOC schedule.

Someone said winning the A-10 Tourney was the easiest option. Just face every team, whether it's Richmond, George Mason, St. Joes, St. Louis, Dayton, or VCU like it's your last game in the A-10 tourney to keep the season going, and everything will take care of itself.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Mr. Cox needs to go find some guys who can shoot, or this will repeat itself too many times going forward.

Sheppard might have helped tonight, but wouldn't have made up the difference.

I never would have thought we would come out for the 2nd half and play WORSE.

That was very disappointing and surprising.

Did anybody actually see anybody playing defense tonight?

Wake up call maybe? We'll find out real soon.

I also have no idea why they changed the offense....that needs to be shitcanned pronto.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago Joes 2.0

Fordham 3.0
Those teams had enough good wins to overcome those games. This team doesn’t.
They've played 5 games vs Top 100 teams so far this season. Currently 2-3. They play 9 more in A-10 play. Tall task though... they need to stack wins in those games while avoiding any more bad losses.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cyril played at the top of the key all game. Whoever is the genius that thought that up, should not call games. He should have had 20 rebounds this game but was never in position. Coaching was horrible as was the game plan.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Agree with those who say the season isn’t over

Season isn’t over cuz we have more games to play. The idea of a resume strong enough to be in the at-large conversation is over...
This isn’t true for every URI team every year, but for this team this year the point was to contend for an at-large. The day that is no longer possible, the season is over. I was hoping that day wouldn’t come at all this year, but at least if it happened in March you’d get a lot of interesting basketball along the way. But it happened today. January 2nd.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

The season isn't over but it is now incredibly difficult. Going to need a lot of things to go in Rhody's direction. We played horrible, officiating didn't help. Not sure what Cox said to the kids at the half but they came out like they were walking to their graves. No energy at all. They didn't even attack until the final 5 minutes. It was strange.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Was looking forward to Richmond now could care less. Pathetic
The saying is "I couldn't care less".
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They came outta the locker room in the second half walking, barely moving, heads down, looking totally disinterested.

Knew it was over from there.
1 x
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago If I had a dollar for every time a brown travel wasn’t called I’d have 20 bucks
Really??? Ur gonna bitch about the officiating when we laid a colossal egg
A Major Colossal egg especially in the second half, looked like we had the tempo for the first couple of mins of the second half and then it went down the drain
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So if we go 14-4 in conference beating Dayton once then win a game in the A10 tourney that’s 23-9 on Selection Sunday that’s not on the bubble ??
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I know I lost all enthusiasm. Hell, we weren't even in discussion before this game. The at large is done barring a major run in conference.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago They came outta the locker room in the second half walking, barely moving, heads down, looking totally disinterested.

Couldn’t agree more they had no energy coming out of the locker room for the shootaround
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given this was the first game since the announcement of Dana Tate transferring, it raises the question of whether it had some sort of effect on the team.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Going forward, wake me up when we actually beat a good team.

And I don't mean the 2 top 100 games we won.

BFD.

reef, love you man, but seriously?

My prediction of 19-11 could be a little optimistic after this abomination.

If they were feeling sorry for themselves tonight, they need to snap out of it immediately.

RF1, if that's true they are in trouble.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago They came outta the locker room in the second half walking, barely moving, heads down, looking totally disinterested.

They played hard for about the first 5-ish minutes of the second half. Then went back to doing what they did for basically the rest of the game.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For those thinking we can win the A10 tourney, remember one thing......we have 8 players.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What's inexcusable is there were so many Rhody fans there tonight it was almost a home game. The whole section behind the bench and much of the stands were for URI. I agree that the team looked listless and unenthusiastic.We were outrebounded, outshot, and our freshmen were invisible.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Every team on the bubble will have a bad loss.
At large is not completely impossible, that is fallacy.
We just have an even smaller margin of victory. Finish 2nd and we are getting in, it will require us stacking victories.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Cyril played at the top of the key all game. Whoever is the genius that thought that up, should not call games. He should have had 20 rebounds this game but was never in position. Coaching was horrible as was the game plan.

Blueram...I'm not quite clear on what you thought of the game plan and the scout for the game?
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

No , they scored six straight to start the second half . The problem was that they continue to double the ball and allow open threes. You would think they would have figured out that Brown was hot and hitting all of their threes . Hurley would have stopped the doubling like he did when they played Davidson.
They allowed a lot of layups but stopped all the threes . they needed to do that tonight . I guess they were hoping Brown would start missing . Well, they didn't start missing . One player was 6-8 from three . That shouldn't happen . After the 4th three things should have changed and he should have been guarded all night without helping out elsewhere under the basket .
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago The season isn't over but it is now incredibly difficult. Going to need a lot of things to go in Rhody's direction. We played horrible, officiating didn't help. Not sure what Cox said to the kids at the half but they came out like they were walking to their graves. No energy at all. They didn't even attack until the final 5 minutes. It was strange.

We went on an 8-0 run in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half to take the lead. Or maybe it was 10-2. Whatever...we erased a six point deficit and took the lead.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago Gina here: must think the Governor’s Cup is on the line.
She didn’t even show up to the football game! Carcieri (Brown alum) handed it out.

Don’t get me started on her.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
great looking crew in the front row of that pic!
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

WHO’S Fault is that?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago You can't just expect to walk into Brown and win a game against Zach Hunsaker!
His father’s name is DICK HUNSACKER! 😂😂

https://brownbears.com/sports/mens-bask ... saker/9941
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

luke wrote: 4 years ago No , they scored six straight to start the second half . The problem was that they continue to double the ball and allow open threes. You would think they would have figured out that Brown was hot and hitting all of their threes . Hurley would have stopped the doubling like he did when they played Davidson.
They allowed a lot of layups but stopped all the threes . they needed to do that tonight . I guess they were hoping Brown would start missing . Well, they didn't start missing . One player was 6-8 from three . That shouldn't happen . After the 4th three things should have changed and he should have been guarded all night without helping out elsewhere under the basket .
Yep!!
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago If you can’t win any big games you certainly can’t lose to Brown. Non conference will go down as a failure now unfortunately.

Im fucking angry but saying the season is over is ridiculous. Obviously I’m not confident, but if we win the A10 and beat teams like VCU and Dayton one bad road loss doesn’t keep you out. I know that’s not likely...

It’s simple for me now. One game at a time. Forget about net ranking and all that other bullshit. Just win....

Don’t call yourself a fan of this program if you’re going to give up on these kids after one goddamn game...
Its not just 1 game, if you look at every game we've played (except against lowly Middle Tenn St), we struggled for extended periods especially on defense, vs LIU, Nichols, Western KY, Manhattan, etc.. this team has to many flaws and no shooters. I'm not sure what anyone see's that would give reason to think we'd be any better than an 11 or 12 win team in the A10, thats not even bubble consideration.. so yes maybe the season is not over, but the 1 thing we could not afford after no quality wins was a bad loss. Playing in the A10 does not afford that luxury of losing to bad teams, especially with no good wins.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

for me this game came down to shooting. we are gonna play teams this year who will get hot from 3 and we need to respond. we couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight, and a lot of the misses were clean looks. we haven't been a good shooting team for the last year and half, but do a lot of other things well where we can compete and win. some games we do shoot the ball well, but big picture we have been well below the lower half of shooting from 3 and overall since the start of the 18/19 season, putting a tremendous amount of pressure for us to excel in other areas (defense, rebounding, low turnovers, etc.). I don't have the answer but if we can't shoot north of 35% from 3 and 45% overall we are going to struggle to make the tourney. we can nit-pick other areas, but to me this is the real issue with us breaking through as a tourney team with our current roster.
Last edited by bkoeppen 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago Gina here: must think the Governor’s Cup is on the line.
.....who is she cheering for?
I was watching for that and she never cheered for either side (from what I could see)
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I just listened on the radio so can not really comment on this particular game. Disappointed for sure but this season could still be exciting. I will root for this team until I am Rhode Island dead.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago So glad I’m unable to watch this hot garbage of a game
I missed the game and pulled into my driveway and had a Twitter alert saying Fatts had fouled out the game and the ESPN alert saying we had lost the game. :|
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I haven't read through all of this, but...I don't understand why we didn't throw out some full court pressure D sometime before the 5 minute mark. To mix it up a little if nothing else. Have we even ever done that all year?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 4 years ago

WHO’S Fault is that?
Noticed the same thing...no pep in step at all...
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

WHO’S Fault is that?

NOt sure if you are referring to the way they performed at the start of the 2nd half or specifically about the way the exited the locker room. If it's the latter, they have come out of the locker room every game the last year and a half(usually led by Jeff) looking like they were rustled out of bed by mom after an 8 hour nap.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 4 years ago So if we go 14-4 in conference beating Dayton once then win a game in the A10 tourney that’s 23-9 on Selection Sunday that’s not on the bubble ??
14-4 in conference is not happening with what was out there tonight.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

WHO’S Fault is that?

NOt sure if you are referring to the way they performed at the start of the 2nd half or specifically about the way the exited the locker room. If it's the latter, they have come out of the locker room the last year and a half(usually led by Jeff) looking like they were rustled out of bed by mom after an 8 hour nap.
The way they came out of the locker room. You could see them come on the floor at the other end of the court, but it took them like 5 minutes to walk (yes, all walking) to the other end. Just didn't seem to have any life.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NOt sure if you are referring to the way they performed at the start of the 2nd half or specifically about the way the exited the locker room. If it's the latter, they have come out of the locker room the last year and a half(usually led by Jeff) looking like they were rustled out of bed by mom after an 8 hour nap.
The way they came out of the locker room. You could see them come on the floor at the other end of the court, but it took them like 5 minutes to walk (yes, all walking) to the other end. Just didn't seem to have any life.
NYG they do that every game and it annoys the hell out of me. I wanted to ask coach about it when they had the meet and greet in September, but my buddy wouldn't let me.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago You can't just expect to walk into Brown and win a game against Zach Hunsaker!
His father’s name is DICK HUNSACKER! 😂😂

https://brownbears.com/sports/mens-bask ... saker/9941
Haha wow, tough draw for that guy! :lol:
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
.....who is she cheering for?
I was watching for that and she never cheered for either side (from what I could see)

She only cheers for taxes and fees.
5 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The question is now whether the Middle Tennessee game was an aberration. Right now we have poor shooting team on all fronts, FG's, FT's and 3-pointers - our three guards were 2-16 tonight on threes. My feeling is MT was an aberration and this Ram team is not NCAAT worthy, but this call will be made more clear in Sunday's game against Richmond.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago The season isn't over, but we just Plaxico Burressed ourselves pretty bad here.
Oh man, I haven't heard a good "Sniper" reference in a while! Well done!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYG they do that every game and it annoys the hell out of me. I wanted to ask coach about it when they had the meet and greet in September, but my buddy wouldn't let me.
Time for a new buddy :lol: . I never really noticed it til tonight, but it was weird. Maybe I just noticed it because they were walking towards us and it looked like a small pack o' zombies. If I had the chance, I'd ask coach about it the next time I saw him.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Time for a new buddy :lol: . I never really noticed it til tonight, but it was weird. Maybe I just noticed it because they were walking towards us and it looked like a small pack o' zombies. If I had the chance, I'd ask coach about it the next time I saw him.
you will be there saturday. watch the way they walk out in the 2nd half led by jeff. i guarantee you will see the same thing you saw tonight. i actually find it embarrassing.
0 x