1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Brown University
Pizzitola Center, Providence, RI
Thursday, January 2, 2020
7:00PM

Media
TV: None?
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App
Tune In Radio

Previews:
Brown Fan Forum

Rhody starts off the new year by facing the team they have played the most all-time, Brown University. This is either the 162nd or 161st (depending on where in the URI Record Book you look) time these two teams have squared off. URI has won 29 of the last 32 games. Rhody looks to get back to back road game wins before conference play begins. Look for the Rams to use their size advantage downlow & overpower the Bears. Last year Harris was perfect from the field, hitting all 6 shots. Hopefully there will be more of that this time. URI should win this but if they are looking past the Bears to conference plau, anything can happen. Final Score prediction, 74-63.

Opponent
Record:
5-6, 0-0 in the Ivy League
Last season: 20-12, 7-7 in the Ivy League

Rankings:
RPI: 167
KenPom: 234
NCAA NET: 259

Leaders :
Points – Brandon Anderson, 20.5 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Tamenang Choh, 8.2 (Jr., F)
Assists – Brandon Anderson, 3.7 (Sr., G) (3.4 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 108-53
H: 66-14, A: 41-38, N: 1-1
Most Recent Matchup: 11/28/18 71-51 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 7 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 72.0% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Anderson is a player.

Contain him to a degree, and it's a win.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

They just played Duke tough for 30 minutes can NOT look past them to confrence play.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago They just played Duke tough for 30 minutes can NOT look past them to confrence play.

Yeah I watched that game. Coach K described them as an "old" team and it showed in a good way for them.

We need to mind our p's and it's.

Gotta get that 10 point win!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Team Rankings says their ranked #70 Rams have 81% chance to beat their #232 ranked Bears......and our chance to Dance now up to 37%.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If anyone goes to this game, check to see if there are any new faces in street clothes sitting on the bench.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think Rhody wins easily, but if all else fails, break a clipboard.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't know what to make of this Brown team. Clearly the departure of Cambridge for Nevada has hurt them off last season's great performance, but senior guard Brandon Anderson is the real deal and has more than doubled his ppg versus his lackluster junior year. This is a rivalry game where the intensity is much higher on the Brown side. The Bruins played tough at St. John's and Duke, but lost to UMass Lowell and took a beating on their home court versus Navy. They are prone to TO's, averaging 16 per game, so let's hope our guard play rattles their offense.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago If anyone goes to this game, check to see if there are any new faces in street clothes sitting on the bench.
I will be there and try to look out for this on Thursday.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

They lost by 25 to Duke.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

People will get worked up about anything. They were nervous about the MTSU game. I’m not sure we can expect to dismantle Brown like we did Midd Tenn, because you’re just not going to do that every time out, but I’m really not sweating this one. The players and coaches shouldn’t overlook any game, but I’m much more focused on Richmond this weekend and view the Brown game as essentially a tune up.

Anderson is talented and Choh is tough, but Anderson is not a size problem for Fatts and I trust Dowtin if he ends up on him sometimes, too. He won’t take the game over; it’s fine if he gets his 15-20. Choh is tough as hell but he’s 6’5”. He presents problems for longer bigs but Cyril is not going to get knocked around underneath. If we avoid long scoring droughts and don’t give up a ton of second chance points, I don’t see how Brown keeps pace for 40 minutes.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago If anyone goes to this game, check to see if there are any new faces in street clothes sitting on the bench.
Will do. Anyone in particular you might be wanting to see?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
No, I like to be surprised.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago People will get worked up about anything. They were nervous about the MTSU game. I’m not sure we can expect to dismantle Brown like we did Midd Tenn, because you’re just not going to do that every time out, but I’m really not sweating this one. The players and coaches shouldn’t overlook any game, but I’m much more focused on Richmond this weekend and view the Brown game as essentially a tune up.

Anderson is talented and Choh is tough, but Anderson is not a size problem for Fatts and I trust Dowtin if he ends up on him sometimes, too. He won’t take the game over; it’s fine if he gets his 15-20. Choh is tough as hell but he’s 6’5”. He presents problems for longer bigs but Cyril is not going to get knocked around underneath. If we avoid long scoring droughts and don’t give up a ton of second chance points, I don’t see how Brown keeps pace for 40 minutes.

Let’s hope the team isn’t also focused on Richmond, as there’s been a billion instances across sports where teams look ahead to a better game/opponent.
0 x
Go Rhody
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I went to the last PC game at Brown a few years back.
This should be a win but do not go into this game as an automatic win. It’s not.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will be there with a notepad.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Meister Brau?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Smokinjimit wrote: 4 years ago I went to the last PC game at Brown a few years back.
This should be a win but do not go into this game as an automatic win. It’s not.
That was a good time....
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Brown preview.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Get there early

0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Any update on TV ? Besides ESPN+ ?

Where have you gone Don Coyne and Cox 3 ???
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

Does ESPN+ work with Cox subscription or completely different platform you need to pay for to watch?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Martyf250 wrote: 4 years ago Does ESPN+ work with Cox subscription or completely different platform you need to pay for to watch?
You pay ESPN directly and view on your device through the web.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martyf250 wrote: 4 years ago Does ESPN+ work with Cox subscription or completely different platform you need to pay for to watch?
You pay $5.00 per month
Separate platform. Not available with cable
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

I'm mainly asking cause I want to go to a bar and watch, it's the holiday season and what's better than being out and watching Rhody kick the crap out of some ivy leaguers and win the state!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
You pay ESPN directly and view on your device through the web.
If you have airplay or stream fast on your smart tv you can cast the game to your TV screen from ESPN+
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Only a few hundred seats still available. Be advised that Brown charges more for same day game sales. The price for a bleacher seat behind the baskets is now $30 (had been $20). Only option for purchase the last several days was online as their box office was closed through the holidays.

Anyone that has complaints about URI ticket prices, venue amenities, and parking should be very appreciative when comparing to Brown. Their pricing has a much higher entry level and their venue has almost no dedicated parking, nearly all bleacher seats, no video boards, extremely limited and poor concessions, few restrooms, and sometimes very limited box office hours. Its lone benefit is that, given its very small size, every seat is close to the action.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I guess we will have the Brown announcers on this one.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Only a few hundred seats still available. Be advised that Brown charges more for same day game sales. The price for a bleacher seat behind the baskets is now $30 (had been $20). Only option for purchase the last several days was online as their box office was closed through the holidays.

Anyone that has complaints about URI ticket prices, venue amenities, and parking should be very appreciative when comparing to Brown. Their pricing has a much higher entry level and their venue has almost no dedicated parking, nearly all bleacher seats, no video boards, extremely limited and poor concessions, few restrooms, and sometimes very limited box office hours. Its lone benefit is that, given its very small size, every seat is close to the action.
In keeping with RF1's comments and despite touting its Ivy League athletics "purity", Brown is not above other mercenary actions. If you want to buy a seat to the Yale game it will cost you $7, so Brown will probably rake in more money on the URI game than they will in four Ivy League contests.

Also his view not to ever complain about the total experience going to URI games is right on, for example, besides way higher ticket prices for a bench type seat, St. Joseph's charges $4 to print out your ticket at home. Yikes!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Supply and demand!

Ryan Center has so much supply with not enough demand so the get in the building price is very low. URI will even throw in a popcorn and soda to get you to come to some games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Only a few hundred seats still available. Be advised that Brown charges more for same day game sales. The price for a bleacher seat behind the baskets is now $30 (had been $20). Only option for purchase the last several days was online as their box office was closed through the holidays.

I think @blueman already summed this up when he said, "it's like a high school gym", didn't he? :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

I think @blueman already summed this up when he said, "it's like a high school gym", didn't he? :lol:
But it sure is a fun High School Gym to be in when it’s loaded with Rhody Fans!!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dah Bishop. I knew there was someone :lol:
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......now, we can’t loose this one, right?.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

No sighting Bishop yet
Koch and Carpano here
Most importantly Wi-Fi is outstanding. Logged right into Brown system in milliseconds :oops: :oops: :oops:
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......now, we can’t loose this one, right?.....
...any given night. Just remember, there are 19 more games to go!
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

No sighting Bishop yet
Koch and Carpano here
Most importantly Wi-Fi is outstanding. Logged right into Brown system in milliseconds :oops: :oops: :oops:
Quite a few recruits and their families here in a reserved section behind the basket, but I can’t identity them.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......what is the deal with beer in that building now, I sorta remember none.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

No sighting Bishop yet
Koch and Carpano here
Quite a few recruits and their families here in a reserved section behind the basket, but I can’t identity them.
Any wearing Cushing Academy or Expressions jackets?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......what is the deal with beer in that building now, I sorta remember none.....
Just wine and brie.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Anyone know how I can watch from Mexico? Even with my vpn set to NYC it’s not working
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I just hope they cover the spread. A beat down like MTSU would be great as our NET would drop into the 50's which would be great entering conference play.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....luv the go Harris play...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Brown is hitting their 3s right now. We need to fast break these Ivies!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Not shooting to well.

Feel like we will settle in here soon.

Or eventually.

Brown doesnt play stupid.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

An embarrassing effort so far. Only down 4
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s freakin go need a run here
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I see how Brown hangs tough in their games now.

Dribble-driving has produced more TOs than easy baskets, need to do a little more inside-outside passing to setup open shots.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

When will these slow starts end. Poor shooting and turnovers.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”