Hurley vs. Cooley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Hurley vs. Cooley

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley talking to his team this week:
"I showed them a clip from the Rhode Island-Alabama game the other night. Cyril Langevine hedged the ball screen, got back to his man, guard was driving to the front of the rim, he stepped up to take a charge, guy passed to his guy on the baseline and he pinned it on the backboard.

"The whole thing is you’ve got to be out there making winning plays."
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That was a great play by Cyril. This partially answers something I wondered about - how closely is Dan following us now. I figured he is at least checking the box scores considering his connections with so many of the staff and players, but I kind of like that he’s this plugged in still.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think if UConn played us this season we would wipe the floor with them.

After that maybe not......
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah if they don’t have any common opponents then I guess he just watches most of the URI games cuz of his past connections
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago That was a great play by Cyril. This partially answers something I wondered about - how closely is Dan following us now. I figured he is at least checking the box scores considering his connections with so many of the staff and players, but I kind of like that he’s this plugged in still.
Remember Dan’s reaction when ASU made the tournament in 2018, after he thought URI’s loss to Davidson would keep them out? That’s about where he’s at with being happy for Rhody’s successes/plugged in to what they’re doing. So, very much so. He fully appreciates how good Dave is at what he does, how hard he works, and how much he deserves success. Combine that with knowing very well some of the challenges of coaching at a place like URI, and he wants nothing but the best for the program.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago That was a great play by Cyril. This partially answers something I wondered about - how closely is Dan following us now. I figured he is at least checking the box scores considering his connections with so many of the staff and players, but I kind of like that he’s this plugged in still.
Remember Dan’s reaction when ASU made the tournament in 2018, after he thought URI’s loss to Davidson would keep them out? That’s about where he’s at with being happy for Rhody’s successes/plugged in to what they’re doing. So, very much so. He fully appreciates how good Dave is at what he does, how hard he works, and how much he deserves success. Combine that with knowing very well some of the challenges of coaching at a place like URI, and he wants nothing but the best for the program.
great to hear.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago Worth reading: https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffja ... 517504.php

“I think we gave Connecticut new life,” said Cooley, the Providence coach. “We gave their fan base new life. I think they finally came to the conclusion that they are a basketball-centric school. They were pouring all their money into football and, in my opinion, it was going into a hole.

“A lot of people will be pissed at me for saying that, but when you’ve become a national brand in one sport and try to parlay it into something that isn’t — shame on you for making the decision up front.”

“Wow, pontificating on us,” Hurley said. “I disagree with that. I don’t take offense to it, I guess. We recruited Akok Akok, James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney and R.J. Cole and were in pretty good position to bring in a Top 15-Top 10 recruiting class before, I guess, the Big East ‘saved’ us.

“Our basketball program was well on its way to doing what I’d done at Wagner and what I’d done at Rhode Island. I remember my years five and six in the state of Rhode Island, we were kind of the thing with our performance in March and winning our league and advancing in the NCAA Tournament. The Big East is certainly going to help UConn, and UConn is certainly getting its act together right now and we were way before we returned to the Big East.”
https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstool ... ing-a-game
0 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

I know one Hurley who’s team got beat by 30 last night.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 4 years ago I know one Hurley who’s team got beat by 30 last night.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a beatdown of epic proportions
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
Smokinjimit2 wrote: 4 years ago I know one Hurley who’s team got beat by 30 last night.
want to know whats even more insane...3 guys scored for ASU, one having 43 pts

check out the box score

https://thesundevils.com/sports/mens-ba ... core/23871
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That is amazing Mr Brown never seem anything like that
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
want to know whats even more insane...3 guys scored for ASU, one having 43 pts

check out the box score

https://thesundevils.com/sports/mens-ba ... core/23871
That is crazy

St Mary's picked up a fantastic win for Mid Majors playing at ASU. St Mary's led by 32 points at the half!!
Amazing that Verge Jr only was averaging 9.4 points before this game then going off for 43 and ASU only having 56 points total. 3 starters for ASU went scoreless.
ASU was picked preseason to finish 5th in the PAC 12 - note what was said about the team - not like this performance dispelled that description.

5. Arizona State
Talent has never been a problem under Bobby Hurley, but consistency certainly has. The Sun Devils have a good mix of returning experience and intriguing incoming pieces, and they’ve racked up strong non-conference victories in the Hurley era. Yet, a Jekyll-and-Hyde persona in Pac-12 play, especially away from Tempe, has limited ASU’s ceiling. If it wants to be a tournament team this time around, it has to discontinue that alarming trend.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is why Cooley needs to worry about himself. Year 2, and UConn is already in a much better position than PC. Their ‘20 recruiting class is set, they have very good young talent returning, and now PC doesn’t have the conference advantage.

It’s the same with Cooley talking about how people need to come out to support the Rams all the time, not just when they play PC. Dude, they are. URI is the best team in the state. Get your team figured out.
8 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago This is why Cooley needs to worry about himself. Year 2, and UConn is already in a much better position than PC. Their ‘20 recruiting class is set, they have very good young talent returning, and now PC doesn’t have the conference advantage.

It’s the same with Cooley talking about how people need to come out to support the Rams all the time, not just when they play PC. Dude, they are. URI is the best team in the state. Get your team figured out.
completely agree Ace, wasn't PC's last turnout vs Stony Brook less than 50% in attendance

he needs to just worry about his own program, not others

hey Ed, get ready for Texas, and hope they don't crush you by 30+ pts
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Concerning the subject of this thread.....Ed don't look behind you...someone [Hurley] is quickly gaining on you.

Ed has the experience edge and 5 NCAA appearances [only 1 gift wrapped win though] versus 2 [with 2 wins] for Dan.

Dan seems to be learning his craft and getting better as an X's and O's guy, whereas Cooley has never been known as that...and he seems to be regressing if anything.

Even our own David Cox is showing signs of being a better bench coach already!
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I said this before, and I’m even more sure now that it happens-
ace wrote: 4 years ago Can’t wait until Cox also has more tournament wins than Cooley.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hurley has already passed Big Ed by. Ed is solidly at the bottom of the Big East Conference. His best player just shot 10-20 Free Throws which is just flat out terrible for your best player.
Cooley went after Pipkins which I said at the time was a mistake, as did UMASS posters. Shows how little Ed and his staff know in evaluating talent
Last season he never settled on a Point Guard. This year it was supposed to be Pipkins to answer the call - phone is still ringing.
Defense looks awful. Offense looks unorganized.
He does a bunch of "Coach-Speak" that you might have given him a pass on when the team was winning but now? He looks lost. He does not know what the problems are. He is trying to take on all the blame himself but he doesn't really have a clue on how to fix things.
Cooley has Duke, Reeves and Gantt who were Top 100 ESPN Players but they were wildly inconsistent. Only Duke looks good at times. Were these players overrated? or are they under-developed at PC? or both?
Picked to finish 3rd in the BE and now looking like they are locked into the cellar.
Amazing
6-6 Record with a Strength of Schedule of 218.
PC's RealTime RPI Ranking is 210!!!!

But don't worry, Ed will have them ready for the big, bad, Big East Schedule.

All I know is it would have been the ultimate disaster to have lost to Ed at the Ryan Center. It was a bit scary when the lead went to 2 points but so happy we blew them out at the end of the day.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I said this before, and I’m even more sure now that it happens-
ace wrote: 4 years ago Can’t wait until Cox also has more tournament wins than Cooley.
I don't think Cooley sniffs another NCAA Tournament and I don't think he ever wins another NCAA Tournament Game. He is in a wild tailspin. This is why teams should not give Lifetime Contracts. Sometimes you just never know.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago Worth reading: https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffja ... 517504.php

“I think we gave Connecticut new life,” said Cooley, the Providence coach. “We gave their fan base new life. I think they finally came to the conclusion that they are a basketball-centric school. They were pouring all their money into football and, in my opinion, it was going into a hole.

“A lot of people will be pissed at me for saying that, but when you’ve become a national brand in one sport and try to parlay it into something that isn’t — shame on you for making the decision up front.”

“Wow, pontificating on us,” Hurley said. “I disagree with that. I don’t take offense to it, I guess. We recruited Akok Akok, James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney and R.J. Cole and were in pretty good position to bring in a Top 15-Top 10 recruiting class before, I guess, the Big East ‘saved’ us.

“Our basketball program was well on its way to doing what I’d done at Wagner and what I’d done at Rhode Island. I remember my years five and six in the state of Rhode Island, we were kind of the thing with our performance in March and winning our league and advancing in the NCAA Tournament. The Big East is certainly going to help UConn, and UConn is certainly getting its act together right now and we were way before we returned to the Big East.”
What a moron
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cooley needs to talk less and coach more.

What is wrong with Duke? You would think he would want to go pro after this year but not the way he's playing right now.

On the friar board they were ripping Diallo a new one during the Florida game for being selfish....hell he and Watson were the only two out there showing any effort.

The rest were at a picnic or wished they were.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, at least PC gave Cooley his deal after he went to 5 NCAA's......URI gave Baron his for doing what exactly?
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dan's ceiling is significantly higher than EC and it always has been, and I said as much even when they were in their 3rd or 4th NCAA and we were clawing to reach our first. Dan isn't gaining on EC, he is flying by him. The PC contingent is going to rue the day UConn was allowed back into the BE.
5 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Dan's ceiling is significantly higher than EC and it always has been, and I said as much even when they were in their 3rd or 4th NCAA and we were clawing to reach our first. Dan isn't gaining on EC, he is flying by him. The PC contingent is going to rue the day UConn was allowed back into the BE.
Respectfully, do not refer to him as EC. There is only one EC - and that's E. C. Matthews. Perhaps CFL Jr.? :lol:
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fair enough NHRam....CFL Jr it is!
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

or CFL north
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Fair enough NHRam....CFL Jr it is!
Baron 2.0?

*ducks and covers*
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CFL north or Baron 2.0 are both great calls
0 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Get fired.
Take the payout.
Go in TV as a commentator.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I vote PCFL
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just call him Cooley. Don’t need abbreviations for everyone
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Coolz
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Love how coolz looks so proud of himself with the pigs vs hogs halftime speech he gave. Glad he is not the HC here. Weird.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... -win-video
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If Cooley was as good of a coach as he thinks he is he’d probably have more than one NCAA Tournament win...
5 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Love how coolz looks so proud of himself with the pigs vs hogs halftime speech he gave. Glad he is not the HC here. Weird.

The saying “Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered” is not unique to Cooley. I don’t think he spoke about the speech to seem proud, but rather to indicate that while they talked about wanting to play like the metaphorical pigs at halftime, they looked like the metaphorical hogs in the 2nd half.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Love how coolz looks so proud of himself with the pigs vs hogs halftime speech he gave. Glad he is not the HC here. Weird.

The saying “Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered” is not unique to Cooley. I don’t think he spoke about the speech to seem proud, but rather to indicate that while they talked about wanting to play like the metaphorical pigs at halftime, they looked like the metaphorical hogs in the 2nd half.
That’s getting into the facts,

I mean just look at his face when he asks his players to recite his “brilliant” concept. He just has this way of looking so smug, like he is so much smarter than most everyone else.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

That’s Cooley’s look, it’s always been Cooley’s look. I watched the clip twice waiting to see some form of facial expression change, there was nothing.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I get a kick out of the Hurley vs Cooley thing . Wasn't it just about four or five years ago there was like a thirty page thread about how bad Hurley was. I was not one of the ones who shared that opinion and don't share the opinion Cooley sucks now either. This team he has now is not a good mix I will say that but I think even they will he playing a lot better by the end of the year. You don't go to the tournament five years in a row if you suck. That is an overreaction just like the Hurley sucks thread was.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago That’s Cooley’s look, it’s always been Cooley’s look. I watched the clip twice waiting to see some form of facial expression change, there was nothing.
No facial change, just that smug smile

Just a disclaimer - I don't like the guy
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I think it's important not to simply qualify for the NCAAT, but to get beyond the first round and even into the Sweet Sixteen. When Cooley coached at Fairfield, what I heard from some of their prominent boosters who always said while they liked Cooley, he always failed to win any big games.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I think it's important not to simply qualify for the NCAAT, but to get beyond the first round and even into the Sweet Sixteen. When Cooley coached at Fairfield, what I heard from some of their prominent boosters who always said while they liked Cooley, he always failed to win any big games.
I would say winning a Big East tournament would qualify as winning big games. He has also had wins over Villanova and Xavier, Butler and Arizona when they were in the top 10. Villanova when they were number 1 so that would put that theory to rest.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I think it's important not to simply qualify for the NCAAT, but to get beyond the first round and even into the Sweet Sixteen. When Cooley coached at Fairfield, what I heard from some of their prominent boosters who always said while they liked Cooley, he always failed to win any big games.
I would say winning a Big East tournament would qualify as winning big games. He has also had wins over Villanova and Xavier, Butler and Arizona when they were in the top 10. Villanova when they were number 1 so that would put that theory to rest.
Sorry, but by your definition Cooley won several big games at Fairfield then, what he didn't win at Fairfield was pressure games where everything is on the line as in one and out. But I do give you credit in that at PC he has exceeded the Fairfield zero with one.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
Sorry, but by your definition Cooley won several big games at Fairfield then, what he didn't win at Fairfield was pressure games where everything is on the line as in one and out. But I do give you credit in that at PC he has exceeded the Fairfield zero with one.
To be honest I don't really care what he did at Fairfield nor does it really matter now. You want to say you don't like him that's fine . The guy has done a very good job overall at PC. To say any diferent would be just plain ignorant
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

To be honest I don't really care what he did at Fairfield nor does it really matter now. You want to say you don't like him that's fine . The guy has done a very good job overall at PC. To say any diferent would be just plain ignorant
Nickel,

Your board has been pretty much in meltdown the past month, until the Georgetown win. Loaded with Coolz criticism. Have you visited there lately?
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

That’s a total misrepresentation of the facts.

Not many people were more vocal about Cooley in December than I was.

But while Cooley has had a bad season, he’s still done a B+/A- job at PC.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Three things from the Cooley video:

I say Cooley tipped off Holt that he would ask him what was said at halftime thus the quick response.

Despite Cooley's great colloquial speech at halftime his team either was not listening or had no idea what he was talking about. I suspect the latter.

Is Cooley the pig or hog that he was talking about?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely Coolz had it all set up with Holt. No doubt.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Nickel,

Your board has been pretty much in meltdown the past month, until the Georgetown win. Loaded with Coolz criticism. Have you visited there lately?
Like I said previously this board wanted Hurley's head on platter a few short years ago . How did that turn out ?Bottom line both PC and Uri fans would have killed for this kind of success Cooley has had when they were going thru the Baron and Keno years. People have short memories.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Absolutely Coolz had it all set up with Holt. No doubt.
Even if they had written a 5 act play before the press conference, who cares?
Reality is they probably went through the same talking points in the locker room after the game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Since when has Fairfield had any big games ???

I don’t like Cooley either but the guy is a decent coach , Michigan wouldn’t have come calling if he wasn’t a good coach

I also take DH over Cooley all day long
1 x