NY times article

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Brian Forster
ARD

NY times article

Unread post by Brian Forster »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/spor ... 3520191228

Interesting.

What are Northeasterns athletic facilities like? hoops arena,hockey arena,track,baseball? someone must have seen them?
I never heard anything good about their sports infrastructure.
Know they have big video board in basketball arena.
Northeastern has notnational profiles.
Other schools that drop football usually drop other sports after-BU,PC,Marquette,etc..
Just waving the white flag.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: NY times article

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The football program here isn't going anywhere as long as Thorr is AD.

The next AD, whoever he [or she] is, could have a different stance.

New stands and other upgrades to Meade and other facilities around the program remain years away, if it ever happens.

At some point the losing has to end....or the program will end.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Sure Rambone-I bet you have never been on Northeastern's campus,let alone seen the facilities.
A lot of which are off campus. A friend of mine used to Coach there and said they were as bad as anything you would ever see.
For that matter,what was the extent of your involvement with:
1. Donating or fundraising for the first class Ryan Ctr.?
2. Donating or fundraising for the premium new weight room?
3. Donating or fundraising for the excellent new lights and field turf at Meade?
4. Being in a great field suite for football?
5. Do you hold season tix for football or basketball?

i get the frustration with football,but since you ducked my question sounds like you are just being critical.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Parsons Field was a tiny off campus venue in Brookline that was never going to work for FCS football. As has been noted elsewhere, operating a football program in New England is tough. Area fans are not big on the college game and the local recruiting talent pool is thin. Athletics in general is not big at Northeastern (or the other large D1 school BU also in the urban core of the city). The Huskies hoops and hockey teams play on campus at Matthews Arena. Basketball draws flies and hockey only draws real well if they have a great team or are playing another Beanpot school. The school's co-op program and location in the city (with so much else going on) is not conducive to a strong student following of its athletic teams. Northeastern dropped football and has never looked back. The school has only thrived in the last two decades despite sports not being a big part.

Anna Maria is another matter. Small Catholic school located just outside Worcester in Paxton. Was all female. Just going co-ed did not really increase male or overall enrollment. Adding a low cost football program with no scholarships, low salaries, little travel, low infra structure costs, etc... worked for it.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

"Future investments would be conferred only to programs that the university believed could achieve and sustain excellence."
My friend who used to coach there says the facilities are Div. 4. Wentworth has better.

"hockey is what we rally around"-(who's we?),school draws regularly under 2k per game . With a student population of 30K?

Too funny.
A cautionary tale.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He forgot to add URI-1AAAAAAAA
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Didn't realize Army and BYU could dominate the AAC and MW.
0 x