Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Tate

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago People. Breathe.

Tate is here to stay.

He messed up. He’s been counseled. He’s accepted fault. He is manning up and owning it.

He will be back.
Caveat - these situations aren’t always fluid. If this was a violation of team rules, sometimes, it is out of the coaches purview, the punishment.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Has he not been practicing at all during the suspension?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

From what I hear he has made several “bad decisions” lately and if he can move past it and do the right things going forward he will be back with the team in the near future. No set date. I’m thinking maybe sometime right after the new year, but who knows.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago From what I hear he has made several “bad decisions” lately and if he can move past it and do the right things going forward he will be back with the team in the near future. No set date. I’m thinking maybe sometime right after the new year, but who knows.
Yeah, I’ve heard the same. It’s trouble beyond basketball that’s effecting him.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago From what I hear he has made several “bad decisions” lately and if he can move past it and do the right things going forward he will be back with the team in the near future. No set date. I’m thinking maybe sometime right after the new year, but who knows.
Yeah, I’ve heard the same. It’s trouble beyond basketball that’s effecting him.
Yeah. It felt like he was upset at playing time at first, but seems to be issues he has created on his own off the court. It sounds like he has an opportunity to turn it around, but will be up to him. Tate has a great personality and excitement about him when we were recruiting him. I hope he gets it fixed. He has potential
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dana had several posts about the end of his relationship with his girlfriend earlier this semester. Not a secret, he posted about how upset he was about it. He hasn't been the same since. That's a tough thing for a 19-20 year old. Try and think back to when you were that age.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

There was no mention -- good, bad, or otherwise -- of Tate on Cox's coaches show last night. My guess (and it's purely a guess) is that he'll be out for the WKU game as well.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I wish the kid the best of luck on his return.
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Same here we are rooting for you Dana Tate

I am sure he is going through tough times off the court and then couple that with some on court struggles
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I really feel bad for Dana. I know people are harsh on him but maybe this has seriously been affecting his 3pt shooting this semester.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago I really feel bad for Dana. I know people are harsh on him but maybe this has seriously been affecting his 3pt shooting this semester.
What has been affecting it? His off the court issues?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago I really feel bad for Dana. I know people are harsh on him but maybe this has seriously been affecting his 3pt shooting this semester.
What has been affecting it? His off the court issues?
Yeah idk it could've killed his confidence breaking up with his girlfriend.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Suspending him for games makes sense, but there was a post recently that led me to believe that he was not at practices. Is this true?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe he sacrificed his duties to the team in the midst of his relationship turmoil?

This could be a really good thing for him.

Those type of things can make you grow up a lot and he can find solace in going to battle with his brothers.

He will be like "wow this is way better than a toxic relationship!"
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......for me the less said is more here, I know this is a message board and all, and I think we have wondered what is going on, but probably know very little, and let’s let it play out, and wherever it goes, just hope for the best for Dana......
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Suspending him for games makes sense, but there was a post recently that led me to believe that he was not at practices. Is this true?
I asked this earlier...have not seen a response, but seems like it could be important. Maybe someone knows but they "can't say"....
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Speculating/reading about the impact of a 20 yr olds personal relationship on his college basketball team feels a bit much
8 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Speculating/reading about the impact of a 20 yr olds personal relationship on his college basketball team feels a bit much
Maybe it is...but, 'is he practicing?' seems pretty innocuous, yet relevant...
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......for me the less said is more here, I know this is a message board and all, and I think we have wondered what is going on, but probably know very little, and let’s let it play out, and wherever it goes, just hope for the best for Dana......
100%
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I think we often forget that these young men are KIDS. We should all be supportive of whatever he is going through...stop speculating...and hope he is ready to return sooner rather than later. I trust that Cox and staff are handling it appropriately.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago I think we often forget that these young men are KIDS. We should all be supportive of whatever he is going through...stop speculating...and hope he is ready to return sooner rather than later. I trust that Cox and staff are handling it appropriately.
I think one of Cox’s strengths is his experience as a high school educator. He knows how to deal with guys who have off court issues.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago I think we often forget that these young men are KIDS. We should all be supportive of whatever he is going through...stop speculating...and hope he is ready to return sooner rather than later. I trust that Cox and staff are handling it appropriately.
I think one of Cox’s strengths is his experience as a high school educator. He knows how to deal with guys who have off court issues.
Agree. He has also been through college as an athlete. He is going to do what is best for the player long term in life.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The team and staff just have to be prepared to weather the storm, whether it be a few games or season long.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Dont like the sound of that insightful comment by DC
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I haven't seen any real speculation here about why he's suspended...but, I do think it's valid to wonder/ask if he is practicing with the team or not...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
I haven't seen any real speculation here about why he's suspended...but, I do think it's valid to wonder/ask if he is practicing with the team or not...
No, he’s suspended. That’s all team activities.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Dont like the sound of that insightful comment by DC
Breaks haven’t seemingly fallen our way, wouldn’t you agree?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep I don’t need to know.

As coach said in Hoosiers:

“My Team is on the floor”
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Dont like the sound of that insightful comment by DC
Breaks haven’t seemingly fallen our way, wouldn’t you agree?
no victims here...we make our own breaks ;)
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

For a moment, forget about the suspension. What is Dana's future on the team? Is he destined to be our third best PF behind Harris and Walker? I think he has something to think about basketball-wise. Is this where he sees himself with regard to his college basketball career? His best path may be to hang on for this year and transfer with two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out a year. I like Dana as a player, but URI may not be the best fit for him now.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t have any idea what is going on, but I would say that if it isn’t so bad that he has been dismissed from the team or school, he should be back with the team. He missed the PC game, he’s apparently missed two weeks of practice and the game today. Not sure what could warrant a suspension of that length that isn’t bad enough to get run from school, but if it goes much beyond today it would seem to me that it’s cruel and pointless.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago For a moment, forget about the suspension. What is Dana's future on the team? Is he destined to be our third best PF behind Harris and Walker? I think he has something to think about basketball-wise. Is this where he sees himself with regard to his college basketball career? His best path may be to hang on for this year and transfer with two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out a year. I like Dana as a player, but URI may not be the best fit for him now.
Jesus, man. No. He was the sixth man before this. He’s got a TON of basketball here ahead of him.
7 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

His value is in contributing as a monster wing that knocks down set shots. If he’s not doing that he is more of like a very low level power forward. From what I heard, I have been under the impression that what he did wasn’t that bad and he will be right back. Maybe ppl here know more than me tho.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago For a moment, forget about the suspension. What is Dana's future on the team? Is he destined to be our third best PF behind Harris and Walker? I think he has something to think about basketball-wise. Is this where he sees himself with regard to his college basketball career? His best path may be to hang on for this year and transfer with two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out a year. I like Dana as a player, but URI may not be the best fit for him now.
Now THAT...is what I'd call 'speculation' :lol: :lol:
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I don’t post much here, but I had to log in just to say that you are easily the most annoying poster on this board. It seems like every post of yours has negative, troll-like undertones. Are you sure you’re a Rhody fan?

Why would URI not be a good fit for him?? Before his suspension he was the first guy off the bench for crying out loud! If he’s prepared and focused, he’s going to give this team meaningful minutes throughout the season and hopefully lead what’s shaping up to be a pretty solid bench squad with him, Toppin, Walker and Long.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I don’t have any idea what is going on, but I would say that if it isn’t so bad that he has been dismissed from the team or school, he should be back with the team. He missed the PC game, he’s apparently missed two weeks of practice and the game today. Not sure what could warrant a suspension of that length that isn’t bad enough to get run from school, but if it goes much beyond today it would seem to me that it’s cruel and pointless.
Agree with this you would think this suspension would be close to coming to an end
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago
Why would URI not be a good fit for him?? Before his suspension he was the first guy off the bench for crying out loud! If he’s prepared and focused, he’s going to give this team meaningful minutes throughout the season and hopefully lead what’s shaping up to be a pretty solid bench squad with him, Toppin, Walker and Long.
So Dana was a bench player before Walker and now Walker is ahead of him. That's why URI may not be a good fit for him. Dana has talent and potential that may never be realized at URI. I'm sure that the team and fans (myself included) would love to have Dana on the roster. Try looking at the situation from Dana's perspective-that's what I was doing. Yes what said was speculative.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Coming into the game today, Dana was fifth in minutes per game. I don’t know how that makes him a “bench player.” Sophomores that play 20 minutes per game are in good basketball situations. I don’t understand where you’re coming from on this.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago
So Dana was a bench player before Walker and now Walker is ahead of him. That's why URI may not be a good fit for him. Dana has talent and potential that may never be realized at URI. I'm sure that the team and fans (myself included) would love to have Dana on the roster. Try looking at the situation from Dana's perspective-that's what I was doing. Yes what said was speculative.
How do you know what Dana’s perspective is? Another great take 72, kind of like Barons free throw shooting
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From Bill Koch article after today’s game:
Quote is from Cox - “Dana’s still out working on himself,” Cox said. “We hope to have him back shortly.”
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Weird situation that he's 'suspended from all team activities'...but sitting on the bench during games. That seems like a team activity.
Will he travel if he's still suspended? Like most, I'm sure, will be glad when this is resolved...will be like re-adding another quality player.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He will either be back before our next game...or by our first conference game.

No inside info, just a feeling. Better chance of the latter happening though.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago He will either be back before our next game...or by our first conference game.

No inside info, just a feeling. Better chance of the latter happening though.
Doubtful. Hope I’m wrong.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I know nothing about the situation, but I’ll repeat that I cannot imagine what could possibly justify a suspension of this length that isn’t bad enough that he is kicked out of school. Either he’s in or he’s out, IMO. Of course, maybe the punishment is justified, but since they won’t divulge any of the details I am left to fill in the gaps by myself and I’m just not able to come up with anything that makes sense. Free Dana.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Weird situation that he's 'suspended from all team activities'...but sitting on the bench during games. That seems like a team activity.
Will he travel if he's still suspended? Like most, I'm sure, will be glad when this is resolved...will be like re-adding another quality player.
He seemed animated and supportive.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am headed to Tennessee for the game.....will report back any Dana Tate sightings....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I doubt he is at away games while suspended.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I am headed to Tennessee for the game.....will report back any Dana Tate sightings....
I just PM’d you
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Haha. Just read rhody72s comment on Dana. It’s laughable. Last week, people on the forum were whining about Cox not having enough depth. Now (following Walkers good game) we have a poster saying guys should consider transferring now that we have an extra forward. Love this stuff.
This is a long season guys.. people get hurt, good forwards are not exactly a dime a dozen. Tate will be back, we’ll be fine. He’s a big part of this team and a big part of the future.
5 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Time is the penalty, not games, time away from the team, practice time, time he can't be a part of the whole, it leaves average fans wondering just how egregious Tate's behaviors were. I agree, it seems Cox has pushed the right buttons in regards to maintaining discipline, but I also get TP's points and have some thoughts of my own. I know we don't know what he did, but if Tate violated team rules and only "team" rules, ie whatever he did was not a university or legal matter, a month long suspension seems a little much. Players brawl with PC students in Ryan center bathrooms, get hauled off by cops and get less discipline. At what point does such a lengthy suspension raise questions about character and leave lasting impressions on a kids resume? Get Tate back in action or justify to the professional world why he is not in action. Indefinite suspension for violation of team rules leaves people with questions. I understand the tactical advantage of teams keeping matters 'in-house,' but this is also a kids life we're talking about. I mean, unless he told Cox to go F himself in front of the rest of the team, what team rule violation that isn't a university conduct violation can justify a month long suspension? If the violation was also an university conduct violation or worse and the team is suppressing that bit of info, that's a problem and the longer this goes on the more questions are raised.

If Tate is "working on himself" and needs to step away from BB for now, that's fine and the sympathetic among us will totally understand, but make it clear it's his decision and you are now granting him permission to take time to figure things out. End the suspension and begin the voluntary leave time. otherwise who can say what is best for Dana? BB might help him figure things out.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'