Roster Management

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Hammond gone

Unread post by section(105) »

.......are we done with Ty lead recruits?......just asking
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Sorry I didn’t see this on the “recruiting” page. Admins can delete if redundant.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Something just doesn't add up with him transferring. We lost Sheppard at the start of the season and are in desperate need of backcourt depth and yet he still couldn't find minutes on the court. Unless the plan was to redshirt him, how good could he be if he cant even get garbage minutes on a team with such a need in the backcourt? I wish him the best and hope he finds a situation that best fits his game.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Something just doesn't add up with him transferring. We lost Sheppard at the start of the season and are in desperate need of backcourt depth and yet he still couldn't find minutes on the court. Unless the plan was to redshirt him, how good could he be if he cant even get garbage minutes on a team with such a need in the backcourt? I wish him the best and hope he finds a situation that best fits his game.
I think he's in that gap between "ready to help us right away with minutes" and "total project who needs time".

If he can't help right away, and might be a risk in games we need to win, it makes sense to put a Martin or Long in the 2 guard spot - while maybe not giving you the "guard" skills, they will at least give you more stability than Hammond could without providing a risk. At least that's my assumption of Cox's thoughts.

As DC Rams alluded to in the other thread - he may have handlers or friends or family in his ear telling him he could play right now somewhere else.

Add in the fact that both Woods and Leggett are literally lighting the world on fire in the DMV, plus the fact that Sheppard will probably be the starting 2 guard next year, combined with the fact that Cox obviously doesn't feel the need to have 2 guards on the floor at all times - it's easy to make the connection that Hammond's not going to get the minutes he feels he deserves.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Roster Management

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Remember when we had "too many" guards?

Those were the days.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nicholls State perhaps a landing spot?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Wood not Woods isn’t playing in the DMV. His last game was great (26 points) against a team they beat by 40. His game before that he had 5 points. His start to the year has been inconsistent. I wouldn’t classify it as lighting it up. Wood’s impact next year is a question mark. Leggett is very solid and should be part of the rotation next year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

When you say 'no big loss, these guys weren't playing anyway,' then you have to ask: why did URI recruit them? Seems like a recruiting problem to me.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

But wood wouldnt need to be counted on until sophomore year when fatts leaves. You would have fatts shepard (barring further academic issues) and leggett as the three guards. Wood at the max wouldn't see more then 5 mins a game anyways. And we would be 9 deep in rotation not even including him. (With walker long toppin harris tate martin as others involved)
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago When you say 'no big loss, these guys weren't playing anyway,' then you have to ask: why did URI recruit them? Seems like a recruiting problem to me.
For future years. Long term goals in mind and because we missed on dah bishop who isnt lighting the world on fire either right now at xavier.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Some recruits can be classified as immediate impact and rotational players as recruits immediately coming in and helping the program fill a role and win games. Others may be viewed with a longer goal in mind with a year of development. Hammond is a good player and will be good some where for some one at some point. But the jump from Louisiana high school ball to a10 was alot. Some development was needed. And it tends to be the back couple spots of the bench is where a coach should target development prospects. Especially because most programs only usually play 8 to 9 guys. But patience is needed by the recruit and you wont always get a 18 year old kid with alot of patience and have the long term in mind.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The way most of our games have gone so far this season, there hasn't been a lot of garbage time so Greg wasn't going to get in anyway.

Although at the end of the PC game Cox put Dadika in instead of Hammond.

That must have frosted his balls no end.

Could be Cox already knew of Hammonds intent .
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

No one knows what the circumstances of his desire to transfer are-- he could simply hate the weather in RI, he can be missing the Lo.culture or he can be very disappointed in his playing time. Recruiting a player from out of the area, adds to the "risk" of him adapting to the program and area, BUT, the recruiting error remains Shepard; I assume we knew the academic risks when we took him as the ONLY experienced guard to be added to the roster-

Time will tell if this hurts us, but with so many or most teams playing three guards, it is inevitable we will have trouble staying in a man to man defense.

Better hope we can learn to play a few different kinds of zones and use our length out front to become disruptive!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......are we done with Ty lead recruits?......just asking
Ty was the lead on Toppin.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago When you say 'no big loss, these guys weren't playing anyway,' then you have to ask: why did URI recruit them? Seems like a recruiting problem to me.
Obviously their skills didn’t translate immediately, Iggy. Was that question rhetorical?
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Recruiting has a lot of uncertainty. You’re only going to play 8-9 guys, but you use your remaining scholarships because you can’t know for sure who will be better than you think, who will be worse, and who can go from non-impact guy to impact guy over the course of four years. Every team in the country has an 11th guy who isn’t playing a lot; sometimes those guys love the culture and being on the team and stick it out and sometimes they get impatient and want to find a place to play. It isn’t unique to us, which is why I’m not worried about it. I don’t think Hammond stinks; I think he’ll end up being a good player and it’s too bad he didn’t want to wait it out here. I think he could have been a rotation player for 2 or 3 years here. But it’s also unlikely his departure will ever be something we think about 3 years from now because we should be able to recruit that level of player basically every year.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago But wood wouldnt need to be counted on until sophomore year when fatts leaves. You would have fatts shepard (barring further academic issues) and leggett as the three guards. Wood at the max wouldn't see more then 5 mins a game anyways. And we would be 9 deep in rotation not even including him. (With walker long toppin harris tate martin as others involved)
So, if Wood doesn't get minutes in the OOC schedule next year, does he transfer? He has a track record of leaving places where he is unhappy.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago But wood wouldnt need to be counted on until sophomore year when fatts leaves. You would have fatts shepard (barring further academic issues) and leggett as the three guards. Wood at the max wouldn't see more then 5 mins a game anyways. And we would be 9 deep in rotation not even including him. (With walker long toppin harris tate martin as others involved)
So, if Wood doesn't get minutes in the OOC schedule next year, does he transfer? He has a track record of leaving places where he is unhappy.
That’s not why he was transferring.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
That’s not why he was transferring.
Beat me to it. I was about to say the same thing.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I didn't say he transferred because he wasn't playing. I said he transferred because he was unhappy.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I didn't say he transferred because he wasn't playing. I said he transferred because he was unhappy.
Again, that’s not why he was transferring.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

With fatts and shepard gone after next year. Opportunity is for leggett and wood to take over the keys after they leave. So light we be at the end of the tunnel on that situation alot sooner for them. So I doubt he would transfer barring something drastic happening. Which you can never really know how a 18 year old will be in that situation. Leggett and wood do seem to be excited to get to rhody together as freshman.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Found this in the article posted under the Chris Doherty thread about his departure from Notre Dame.

"Doherty is the third Irish player to leave the program in just over a year and the fourth since the spring of 2017."

And this is from an established program in which the same head coach has been there for almost 2 decades. Also this,

"Notre Dame will work the rest of this season with nine available scholarship players."

Just thought I'd add for some context.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Found this in the article posted under the Chris Doherty thread about his departure from Notre Dame.

"Doherty is the third Irish player to leave the program in just over a year and the fourth since the spring of 2017."

And this is from an established program in which the same head coach has been there for almost 2 decades. Also this,

"Notre Dame will work the rest of this season with nine available scholarship players."

ND is a program spiraling in the wrong direction. They aren’t good.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Found this in the article posted under the Chris Doherty thread about his departure from Notre Dame.

I think that's a little over the top statement given what's going on with all the transfer activity throughout college basketball. They are going through a rough time, but Notre Dame is still in the ACC and I don't think they are fading into oblivion.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago

I think that's a little over the top statement given what's going on with all the transfer activity throughout college basketball. They are going through a rough time, but Notre Dame is still in the ACC and I don't think they are fading into oblivion.
Spiraling in the wrong direction does not equal “fading into oblivion”.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Irish aren’t as good as they were a few years ago though still respectable in the ACC

Played INDIANA tough yesterday lost by 2
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Assuming we replace Hammond with Doherty, Shepherd and DJ redshirt and don’t grad transfer and no other movement (big assumptions) we will have a senior class of:

1. Harris
2. Martin
3. Tate
4. Walker
5. Shepherd
6. DJ
7. Doherty
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Assuming we replace Hammond with Doherty, Shepherd and DJ redshirt and don’t grad transfer and no other movement (big assumptions) we will have a senior class of:

1. Harris
2. Martin
3. Tate
4. Walker
5. Shepherd
6. DJ
7. Doherty
Doesn’t Shepard only have one more year of eligibility after this year?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sheppard has one year left.

Doherty nobody knows whether URI has interest in him.

As of right now we have 5 in that class.

Too unbalanced to add any more to it.

Would prefer 4 year players at this point.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Sheppard has one year left.

Doherty nobody knows whether URI has interest in him.

As of right now we have 5 in that class.

Too unbalanced to add any more to it.

Would prefer 4 year players at this point.
There is interest in Doherty. Lots.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Get Dougherty Shepherd stays and next year shaping up nicely
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Get Dougherty Shepherd stays and next year shaping up nicely
And you still have an open scholarship to recruit a Fr big to add to the ‘20 class.
Isaiah Richards (6’10”) will commit to Rhody if they want him (see recruiting thread).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

83, I'm glad you know that lol.

Now find out if Cox wants him.

If so, why wait until April? Get a verbal now!
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Joe Pepitone was quoted saying "never have sex with anyone in the morning......you never know who you will meet later in the day".....so there's that...
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Scanning a version of the transfer portal I see that Columbia's 6'10 forward Patrick Tape is sitting out this year and will be a grad transfer....pretty good stats....wonder if we made contact....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Staff is hard at work looking for that elusive big.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Assuming we replace Hammond with Doherty, Shepherd and DJ redshirt and don’t grad transfer and no other movement (big assumptions) we will have a senior class of:

1. Harris
2. Martin
3. Tate
4. Walker
5. Shepherd
6. DJ
7. Doherty
I guess I am confused - if he doesn’t play this year he won’t get that back?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago

1. Harris
2. Martin
3. Tate
4. Walker
5. Shepherd
6. DJ
7. Doherty
I guess I am confused - if he doesn’t play this year he won’t get that back?
You have 5 years to play 4 years. This is his third school. He has one year left of eligibility. Didnt played in 2017-2018 due to suspension. Sat out this year. There goes a year of eligibility. He will be a senior next year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 83, I'm glad you know that lol.

I know it’s his best offer and he wants to take an Official Visit. It appears URI is holding off on scheduling that for now.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Gotcha - didn’t know he didn’t play a whole year already, thought he did 1 at ECU and 1 at Juco. Really crappy situation for Jeremy. Hopefully the NCAA will give him a waiver to play a 6th year if he gets classes in order.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Gotcha - didn’t know he didn’t play a whole year already, thought he did 1 at ECU and 1 at Juco. Really crappy situation for Jeremy. Hopefully the NCAA will give him a waiver to play a 6th year if he gets classes in order.
This has been discussed under his recruiting thread. He isn’t getting a waiver for a 6th year for being academically ineligible. This is all on Jeremy.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 83, I'm glad you know that lol.

I know it’s his best offer and he wants to take an Official Visit. It appears URI is holding off on scheduling that for now.
He's been on official to Nevada and does sound like interest is starting to build from others such as Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Virginia Tech. The PF/C is so thin this year I would think Rhody would hop on a visit.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

None of the schools you listed under building interest have been to his games lately. According to his coach, RI is his best offer.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago None of the schools you listed under building interest have been to his games lately. According to his coach, RI is his best offer.
I understand, but as you know the recruiting landscape changes very quickly and offers can come in at anytime. We all acknowledge that we need a big, and if a decent big wanted to visit, would be hard to imagine we would say no, especially with how thin the PF/C market is. Maybe the staff is skeptical of what he can produce at the D1 level. That's all I'm saying.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Need to make sure he has the grades also. That won’t happen again.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He was at Notre Dame, I’m not worried. They have the most rigorous academic requirements for athletes in D1.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago He was at Notre Dame, I’m not worried. They have the most rigorous academic requirements for athletes in D1.
Sorry, I was talking about Richards.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Whoops my bad
0 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago DC Rams, regarding your response to my last post.
Calm down a little. You are starting to attack. This is a message board. Topics about the program are discussed.
You ask what do I want to happen and throw an exaggerated comment about fire the coach.
If you read the end of my post, I included that - “Moving on. The recruiting process and player retention needs to improve the next few years.”

You are a Cox supporter first and a URI supporter second. I understand that and admire your unwavering loyalty to Cox on every situation. I am a URI fan first and support Cox as URI’s Head Coach.

My guess is the posters to this thread are about 50/50 on the two sides of this - concerned vs not concerned.
Well said 83
0 x