Week #6 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #6 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass and Yale did nothing but heave up three point attempts, many very early into the shot clock. The teams each took 27 three point shots for a combined 54. With little inside activity, the two teams together only had 10 ft attempts in 45 minutes of play. The first free throw attempt of the game wasn't even taken until there was 5:08 left in the 2nd half.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The UMass loss to Yale was their sixth straight and was witnessed by 2212. As much as I dislike the UMass fan base given that for several years I encountered terrible receptions when attending games at Mullins, we should take no solace from their predicament. UMass is a local rival and when they have good teams the game with them has drawn large crowds to Ryan. In fact, if you look at the largest 50 crowds in the history of Ryan, you find UMass accounts for eight of them, exceeded only by PC with 9. The conference needs a strong program at UMass.
6 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Finally, Nicholls carved up Carver, 118-44. (sorry, I couldn't resist). But does this game really matter and considering that only 283 diehards showed up to watch this mess, I guess it doesn't.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow tough loss for UMass after leading the whole way , they did cover though
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

McCall will probably waste the good young talent that UMass has.

Of course when they play us at Mullins they will likely light it up from 3. They usually do.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Thursday action in the A-10.

Only one game involving URI OOC opponents:

Austin Peay at West Virginia, 7 PM.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago TP, you just don’t like Richmond. Every published poll or rating has Richmond in the top 4 of the A10. Other than you. To say nothing they have done has moved the needle seems to be a misstatement. They are 8-1 with one loss to #12 Auburn. Their Wisconsin win just got better this week when Wisconsin beat Indiana.

Have you watched much of Davidson? They are 4-5. Their big win is over Northeastern.
Just a quick update on this - Wisconsin lost to Rutgers last night. I’m really not sure that one win is enough to rest the entire case for Richmond on and feel great about it.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago The UMass loss to Yale was their sixth straight and was witnessed by 2212. As much as I dislike the UMass fan base given that for several years I encountered terrible receptions when attending games at Mullins, we should take no solace from their predicament. UMass is a local rival and when they have good teams the game with them has drawn large crowds to Ryan. In fact, if you look at the largest 50 crowds in the history of Ryan, you find UMass accounts for eight of them, exceeded only by PC with 9. The conference needs a strong program at UMass.

The old Curry Hicks Gym with a capacity of 4k would even be near half empty for UMass games these days. UMass has averaged just 2,536 for six home games thus far. The only game that attracted more than 3k was South Carolina (3,043). Four straight (with this possibly being the 5th) losing seasons have kept fans away.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago The UMass loss to Yale was their sixth straight and was witnessed by 2212. As much as I dislike the UMass fan base given that for several years I encountered terrible receptions when attending games at Mullins, we should take no solace from their predicament. UMass is a local rival and when they have good teams the game with them has drawn large crowds to Ryan. In fact, if you look at the largest 50 crowds in the history of Ryan, you find UMass accounts for eight of them, exceeded only by PC with 9. The conference needs a strong program at UMass.

The old Curry Hicks Gym with a capacity of 4k would even be near half empty for UMass games these days. UMass has averaged just 2,536 for six home games thus far. The only game that attracted more than 3k was South Carolina (3,043). Four straight (with this possibly being the 5th) losing seasons have kept fans away.
Win and the world wins with you; lose and you lose alone.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago TP, you just don’t like Richmond. Every published poll or rating has Richmond in the top 4 of the A10. Other than you. To say nothing they have done has moved the needle seems to be a misstatement. They are 8-1 with one loss to #12 Auburn. Their Wisconsin win just got better this week when Wisconsin beat Indiana.

Have you watched much of Davidson? They are 4-5. Their big win is over Northeastern.
Just a quick update on this - Wisconsin lost to Rutgers last night. I’m really not sure that one win is enough to rest the entire case for Richmond on and feel great about it.
Our first game in the A10 Conference Play is shaping up to be a good one - at home vs Richmond.
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Can't believe no one posted about this yet but recent schedule fixture Holy Cross lost at home in OT to UMass-Boston (D3) on Tuesday night. The "Mid-Major Madness" twitter account had some fun with that:

https://ibb.co/dQ68RgB
https://ibb.co/jfH2fVC
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know this was last week, not this week, but it is quite a look... (and yes, we know who he’s dating, no need to mention it again). Jacket’s (and the shoes) more exciting than the games, but both are bad.

0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This is a nice jacket........If you're Tom Jones. 😀
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramfan85 wrote: 4 years ago This is a nice jacket........If you're Tom Jones. 😀
If you dare click through to the tweet, there are matching shoes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I know this was last week, not this week, but it is quite a look... (and yes, we know who he’s dating, no need to mention it again). Jacket’s (and the shoes) more exciting than the games, but both are bad.

I would be embarrassed if our coach showed up wearing that. There is literally zero positive to say or think about it. He looks like a goomba in the worst way possible.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Really gives you the sense that UMass is in good hands. Stable, professional, serious and sober leadership.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I know this was last week, not this week, but it is quite a look... (and yes, we know who he’s dating, no need to mention it again). Jacket’s (and the shoes) more exciting than the games, but both are bad.

Makes me reminisce of Al’s leather suit!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

An awesome suit if you're going out for a night on the town.

Not so much if you're coaching a basketball game lol.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t think it’s awesome in any context, honestly.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Woof.

Try harder bro!
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He is an unusual dresser. He coached HS basketball in my town for a few years. He would come onto the court very late/just before lineup announcements and he was always in all black with a black trench coat. There were no exceptions. I saw he last year coaching Woodstock Academy - all in black with the trench coat. I believe in all the years he coached prep schools he always wore all black.

At last night’s game he had on a normal grey suit.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Really gives you the sense that UMass is in good hands. Stable, professional, serious and sober leadership.
Bergeron has had incredible success at the Prep level. He reached 400 wins last year. He coached Tyreke Evans at American Christian Academy (PA). I met Evans at a high school game in our town. He was visiting Bergeron - he gave Bergeron the credit for “making him a pro”. Through his Nike sponsorship he could provide all the uniforms, warmups & sneakers to one team. He selected a Bergeron’s HS team.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

On Friday the Thirteenth there are no games in the A-10 or scheduled among URI OOC Opponents.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago On Friday the Thirteenth there are no games in the A-10 or scheduled among URI OOC Opponents.
Lots of paraskevidekatriaphobiacs out there.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Makes me reminisce of Al’s leather suit!
I like it, better be winning a lotta games in that rig tho
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago On Friday the Thirteenth there are no games in the A-10 or scheduled among URI OOC Opponents.
Lots of paraskevidekatriaphobiacs out there.
However unpronounceable, they don't walk under ladders or open an umbrella indoors either.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Too bad we couldn't have had a 31st game scheduled....this weekend would have been the perfect time for it.

Just about everybody else is playing.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Too bad we couldn't have had a 31st game scheduled....this weekend would have been the perfect time for it.

.......like a record builder, against a weak sisters of the poor type game......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Too bad we couldn't have had a 31st game scheduled....this weekend would have been the perfect time for it.

.......like a record builder, against a weak sisters of the poor type game......?
Yes. Cupcake City.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The players had final exams today and have final exams Mon-Thurs. They aren’t supposed to have games during final exams. Sorry that conflicts with your desire for a 31st game that isn’t needed. They have a strong OOC schedule. The 31st game wasn’t going to improve that. They need to finish the OOC 9-3 and they are well positioned to make a run at the Tournament.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I didn't say it was needed for them.

It was needed for US......lol
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m pretty sure the coaches don’t think having 15 days off between games is exactly ideal.

Can’t prove it, but the win against Providence was at least a month ago.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I’m pretty sure the coaches don’t think having 15 days off between games is exactly ideal.

Can’t prove it, but the win against Providence was at least a month ago.
Agree they don’t want 15 days off.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Action picks up on Saturday in the A-10.

Duquesne versus Radford at Firestone High School in Akron, OH, 2 PM.

Morgan State at La Salle, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Saint Louis versus #12 Auburn in the Mike Slive Invitational in Birmingham, AL, 4 PM. On ESPN2. The game is sponsored by the MIke Slive Foundation dedicated to fighting prostate cancer which claimed the life of Mike Slive, a former SEC Commissioner.

D2 Gannon at St. Bonaventure, 4 PM. On ESPN+. Gannon is a Catholic co-educational university located in Erie, PA.

Charleston at Richmond, 5 PM. On NBCSN.

Drake at Dayton, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Long Island U at Rider, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Alabama at Penn State, 2 PM. On BTN.

Nicholls, at West Virginia, 2 PM.

Middle Tennessee at Ole Miss, 3 PM. On SECN.

Western Michigan at Manhattan , 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Stony Brook at Providence, 8 PM. On FS1.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Louis is +11.5 vs undefeated Auburn. Jordan Goodwin is playing great especially with his rebounding the last 4 games. Could be a big upset and benefit the A10

Undefeated Duquesne is -4.5 vs Radford. Duquesne’s first A10 game is hosting SLU

So two A10 teams involved in games where a team is undefeated. There are only 5 undefeated teams out of 353.

The other 3 teams without a loss are Ohio State, San Diego State and Liberty.

Dambrot playing Radford in Akron today and leveraging his close, ongoing relationship with Lebron.
https://triblive.com/sports/duquesnes-t ... asketball/
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI OOC opponents cannot go winless today because Nichols plays WVU, but otherwise there is some danger of a wipeout. If they can collectively get 3 wins (so two other than the Nichols/WVU game), I’d consider that a good day.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Could really use Bama to spring an upset
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Action picks up on Saturday in the A-10.

Duquesne versus Radford at Firestone High School in Akron, OH, 2 PM.

Morgan State at La Salle, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Saint Louis versus #12 Auburn in the Mike Slive Invitational in Birmingham, AL, 4 PM. On ESPN2. The game is sponsored by the MIke Slive Foundation dedicated to fighting prostate cancer which claimed the life of Mike Slive, a former SEC Commissioner.

D2 Gannon at St. Bonaventure, 4 PM. On ESPN+. Gannon is a Catholic co-educational university located in Erie, PA.

Charleston at Richmond, 5 PM. On NBCSN.

Drake at Dayton, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Long Island U at Rider, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Alabama at Penn State, 2 PM. On BTN.

Nicholls, at West Virginia, 2 PM.

Middle Tennessee at Ole Miss, 3 PM. On SECN.

Western Michigan at Manhattan , 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Stony Brook at Providence, 8 PM. On FS1.
You all will finally get to see what we lost in Mike Tertsea. He’s at Gannon and they play the Bonnies today
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nichols +19.5 think they can cover that
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Duquesne won its ninth straight game in beating Radford, 71-59. The Dukes, who never trailed, hit an opening three and then steadily built a lead which maxed at 26 points. Earlier Radford had grabbed a win over Northwestern, 67-56, on the Wildcats' home court in Evanston.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Duquesne undefeated but hasn’t played anyone good

Gtown beats Cuse
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne undefeated but hasn’t played anyone good

Gtown beats Cuse
Embarrassing for the Orange. Gtown has basically half a roster.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

23-5 Rutgers leads early in #22 Ranked BE Seton Hall

St Louis vs Auburn 15 all early on ESPN2
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Alabama loses a heartbreaker to Penn State, 73-71. The Tide led for a good part of second half, but the Nittany Lions rallied in the last 5 minutes to grab the win.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Alabama loses a heartbreaker to Penn State, 73-71. The Tide led for a good part of second half, but the Nittany Lions rallied in the last 5 minutes to grab the win.
That sucks. URI's Alabama and PC wins don't carry a lot of weight right now. They were both expected to be better at this point.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SLU ain't bad.

They CANNOT shoot free throws, but they are very physical and athletic.

We are gonna have to get physical and foul them everytime down the stretch, because nobody on that damn team can make a free throw.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago SLU ain't bad.

They CANNOT shoot free throws, but they are very physical and athletic.

We are gonna have to get physical and foul them everytime down the stretch, because nobody on that damn team can make a free throw.
Neither SLU or Auburn seems to be a good ft shooting team. They combined to miss 26 ft attempts. Their line today from the charity stripe was:
SLU| 8-19 | .421
Auburn | 13-28 | .464
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No question that BE is a good conference, but the truth is their overall OOC record is always inflated because they play lots of home games and play only a few true road contests and only under special circumstances. Like the PC trip to Ryan, two BE teams played true road games today and both lost. In the first game, Rutgers burst out of the gate to build a 14-0 lead over #22 Seton Hall and the Pirates could never get closer than 12 points as they lost, 68-48. In the second game, #23 Xavier paid a visit to Winston-Salem to play a so-so Wake Forest in a special game in memory of Skip Prosser and proceeded to lose, 80-78. Sorry to see Seton Hall lose but have no such feelings for Xavier and their arrogant fans and will be happy to see them bounced from the rankings.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SLU is officially dead last in the country in FT percentage.

The good news is they're now a KenPom Top 100 team, giving the A-10 SEVEN schools in the KenPom Top 100.

18 Dayton
40 VCU
61 Duquesne
66 Richmond
73 Davidson
81 Rhode Island
99 Saint Louis
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mike Tertsea has a whopping 6 points for Gannon today against the Bonnie’s.
1 x