Walker Availability

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Walker Availability

Unread post by RF1 »

It will be interesting to follow the transfer process and eligibility of the three. Seems all saw quite a bit of action thus far

Akinjo - played 215 minutes in seven games (31mpg)
Leblanc - played 115 minutes in six games (19mpg)
Alexander - played 80 minutes in seven games (11mpg)

It would seem since these three played significant minutes in nearly every game that they would not be eligible to play until 2nd semester if NCAA regulations were strictly followed as was the case with Walker. My guess is that the NCAA does not follow its rules for ALL three.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Akinjo would be a great add, but PG isn't our biggest need.

Forget the other 2, they're in deep......
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago It will be interesting to follow the transfer process and eligibility of the three. Seems all saw quite a bit of action thus far

Akinjo - played 215 minutes in seven games (31mpg)
Leblanc - played 115 minutes in six games (19mpg)
Alexander - played 80 minutes in seven games (11mpg)

It would seem since these three played significant minutes in nearly every game that they would not be eligible to play until 2nd semester if NCAA regulations were strictly followed as was the case with Walker. My guess is that the NCAA does not follow its rules for ALL three.
There has been no disciplinary action against Alexander or Gardner. Both are still active on the team.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago If he was that good Ewing would have found a way to keep him. Nothing against Walker — that’s how I feel about any transfer.
Even Stan and Kuran?
Until I saw them, yes.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Sounds like Akinjo picked the worst time to transfer as it's causing him to be lumped in with this mess.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Sounds like Akinjo picked the worst time to transfer as it's causing him to be lumped in with this mess.

Akinjo was thrown off the team for the rest of the year before he decided to transfer. Something happened that wasn’t related to the restraining orders on the other three.

GTown plays the game to screw the player. Instead of throwing them out of school and off the team forever, they suspended them from the team for the year. They know the player will then leave and they can say it wasn’t mutual because the player was only suspended for the year. This hurts the player’s opportunity to get a waiver. Exactly what they did to Walker which gave Ewing more leverage to object to the waiver.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Will be interesting to see what happens with these guys with respect to their waivers next year.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Will be interesting to see what happens with these guys with respect to their waivers next year.
There is zero chance GTown consents to a waiver which is required. No way they get waivers.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Georgetown HAS to consent? Are you sure? I understood that it is a factor that the NCAA will consider, and they may even give it more weight than is appropriate, but it is news to me that the committee that decides this would essentially turn the decision over to the player’s former coach. That is wildly inappropriate if true. I have to say that I’d like to see the source on that (not saying I don’t believe you, just seems so insane I have to see it with my own eyes).
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Screw those GTown Hoyas can’t stand them more and more
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I think this speaks volumes to Ewing and Gtown, obviously each kids situation is different, but how they go about trying to stick to a kid after they make a mistake is unbelievable to me

F*** Ewing and f*** Gtown
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago I think this speaks volumes to Ewing and Gtown, obviously each kids situation is different, but how they go about trying to stick to a kid after they make a mistake is unbelievable to me

F*** Ewing and f*** Gtown
And what I mean by that is the waivers after, I’m with Rhody83 on this, pretty confident these kids will not get granted their waivers, including Akinjo, even though he’s not tied to the above situation

You think Ewing holds a grudge at all????
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree with you that Georgetown is coming off as classless a-holes when you factor in the Walker thing, but I’m not sure I have a ton of sympathy for LeBlanc or the other guys caught up in that whole situation. As far as Akinjo goes, the point I was making about watching the waivers is that if it holds up that Akinjo wasn’t involved in that mess and he got run for something less serious like Walker (i.e., more disciplinary than criminal) and he ends up at, say, UCLA where there is more influence with NCAA than URI had I’d like to see how that goes. If R83 is right that Ewing can just block a waiver outright then I guess it’s moot, but I’ll be tracking the situation nonetheless.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Georgetown HAS to consent? Are you sure? I understood that it is a factor that the NCAA will consider, and they may even give it more weight than is appropriate, but it is news to me that the committee that decides this would essentially turn the decision over to the player’s former coach. That is wildly inappropriate if true. I have to say that I’d like to see the source on that (not saying I don’t believe you, just seems so insane I have to see it with my own eyes).
What you’re saying is the way it’s been explained to me... the previous school gives input, but that input does not equate to a decision in either direction. It may seem like splitting hairs, but I think it’s a worthy distinction. Akinjo’s been rumored to want to transfer for a while, and I think I’d prefer for that info to be public before speculating on what he did or did not do.

I know who’s been getting the blame, but I really would like to know the roles that both the coach and AD each played in the Walker situation. I think Ewing is a smart guy who knows basketball in and out. He also has little experience in running a college program, and his seems to be falling apart around him. You can be petty and technically correct, but is that helping you or the player in the long run?

I love the backgrounds that both Cox and Hurley have in all levels of the game and in education, and their similar experiences were one of the main reasons he hired Cox. I think those experiences dealing with teenagers- athletes and non-athletes- can help to make really good coaches and to better see the college game, including how you treat its athletes, in a bigger picture. I think it’s the reason some players the last several years have been successful at URI after struggling elsewhere. I also make a huge distinction between offenses like getting into a fight with another male student or smoking weed or popping off about your coach and those alleged against the Georgetown players.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Sounds like Akinjo picked the worst time to transfer as it's causing him to be lumped in with this mess.

That Lou Reed is some kinda talented dude. Great musician, died 6 years ago, now the AD at G'town...remarkable.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The way things were explained to me. Unless a player is requesting a transfer waiver due to a family situation, a completed form from the school he transferred from is required. The request looked on most favorably is a request when the HC left the program (form from school required but less weight placed on it). The form from the past school covers more weight when the player wasn’t forced out.

In Walker’s case, it has been posted about a Thorr conversation where he was surprised that GTown had not completed the form timely and that the GTown AD wouldn’t return his call. GTown wanted Walker on their team but he violated a University rule (for the second time).

These GTown players were not forced out. The broke a University rules. I agree the charges reported are more serious than Walker’s.
Akinjo was thrown off the team for the season before he entered the transfer portal. I am sure he violated a University rule. GTown’s approach of suspending the player for the year instead of expelling the student is done to help their position to oppose the waiver request. They know the player will leave the school and transfer.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Georgetown shows how little integrity it really has. Both Gardner and Alexander are accused of theft in a civil complaint. Both have also had restraining orders filed against them. Georgetown reacts by suiting them up for a game to represent the school. Contrast this to the Walker situation where even a year of not playing games was not enough for GU. They were very much intent on punishing him to the max and sending a message.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Georgetown shows how little integrity it really has. Both Gardner and Alexander are accused of theft in a civil complaint. Both have also had restraining orders filed against them. Georgetown reacts by suiting them up for a game to represent the school. Contrast this to the Walker situation where even a year of not playing games was not enough for GU. They were very much intent on punishing him to the max and sending a message.
Georgetown will treat anyone they discard the same way. They will fight the waivers for players dismissed this year. Guaranteed.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Gonna b a tuff call these guys vs the Dalmatians...
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They freakin beat Okie St on road as +11 wtf
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

With Walker making his Rams debut, does Cox move to a 9 man rotation?

JD
Fatts
Martin
Harris
Cyril

Walker
Toppin
Tate
Long
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago With Walker making his Rams debut, does Cox move to a 9 man rotation?

JD
Fatts
Martin
Harris
Cyril

Walker
Toppin
Tate
Long
I'd think that he'd get his minutes at the 4 and 5. Between him, Cyril and Harris, that's 120 minutes for three guys, which seems reasonable. I think it might mean a slight reduction in minutes for Harris, except that he's in foul trouble a lot of games anyway, so his numbers might seem the same anyway. Toppin and Tate seemed like the guys they were stretching to play the 4, so they might see a slight downtick in minutes.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Toppin will keep getting his minutes. He's too good not to.

Not sure about Tate. Playing the 3 more might help him, since he won't have to play the 4 as often.

Of course that's when he's allowed to play again.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago With Walker making his Rams debut, does Cox move to a 9 man rotation?

JD
Fatts
Martin
Harris
Cyril

Walker
Toppin
Tate
Long
I'd think that he'd get his minutes at the 4 and 5. Between him, Cyril and Harris, that's 120 minutes for three guys, which seems reasonable. I think it might mean a slight reduction in minutes for Harris, except that he's in foul trouble a lot of games anyway, so his numbers might seem the same anyway. Toppin and Tate seemed like the guys they were stretching to play the 4, so they might see a slight downtick in minutes.
I think you meant 80 minutes divided by three. I still think Cyril gets more than 30. Harris always seems to be battling foul issues so it’s nice to have Walker available. So I’m guessing 32 for CL. Walker’s minutes will gradually build up from maybe 15 to 25, depending on Harris fouls situation.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

let's see what the big guy can do !
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Walker will get his time at the 4 and 5. I think majority of those minutes will go to Cyril, Harris and now Walker.

Tate and Toppin may see a few mins due to fouls or other circumstances at the 4, but majority of their time will come at 3 spot.

3 is largely Tyrese, with Long now pushing for more minutes there, so with Tate and Toppin you start to have a logjam but also lots of depth and different looks at the 3 based on who is playing well.

1 and 2 are obviously Fatts and Jeff, with very short spurts where Tyrese or Mekkhi are slid over to the 2 tho its not a natural position yet for either.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Figure Fatts, Jeff & Cyril will take 96-102 minutes. Use 100 minutes for this discussion. That leaves 100 minutes for 5-6 players. Martin will 4th in minutes.

Cox has said Walker’s minutes will build up gradually over 3-5 games. His minutes will come from the other 5 players. Depending on the opponent I think Cox will give more mins to his big lineup (more time for Walker) or more to his small lineup (more time for Toppin & Long). Walker can get to 15-20 minutes/game by reducing the other 5 by 3-5 minutes. Martin (avg 32 mins) and Tate (avg 20 mins) probably take the biggest hit.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Pretty excited to see the debut of Walker. I hope we are not disappointed. We may have overhyped this!?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Pretty excited to see the debut of Walker. I hope we are not disappointed. We may have overhyped this!?
disagree, i didn't really see anyone's post sound like they were over-hyping Walker, seems like what some have said seem pretty realistic with ramping his minutes from 3-5 games in, if he can rebound, play d, and get some put backs around the basket.

Nothing sounds like it has been over-hyped
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Pretty excited to see the debut of Walker. I hope we are not disappointed. We may have overhyped this!?
disagree, i didn't really see anyone's post sound like they were over-hyping Walker, seems like what some have said seem pretty realistic with ramping his minutes from 3-5 games in, if he can rebound, play d, and get some put backs around the basket.

........well, do I recall correctly that someone posted here that he would be a 9-5 stat player? Not sure if that is over-hype.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Sorry if I miscommunicated. I am not saying anyone has particularly over hyped him. I hope he is a superstar. I know we were all very disappointed when he was deemed ineligible and felt our season was jeopardized by that to a degree. I know I am quite anxious to see him on the floor in a competitive game. I hope he meets all our expectations, that’s all.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Sorry if I miscommunicated. I am not saying anyone has particularly over hyped him. I hope he is a superstar. I know we were all very disappointed when he was deemed ineligible and felt our season was jeopardized by that to a degree. I know I am quite anxious to see him on the floor in a competitive game. I hope he meets all our expectations, that’s all.
gotcha, that makes sense to me then
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am definitely looking forward to seeing him

I wonder if he can hit an open 15 footer or if he can score with his back to the basket

He may get offensive put backs too ??
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

gotcha, that makes sense to me then
I think the only over-hyping will be centered around him coming in and being a polished player immediately. Cox has said that it’s going to take him 5 games or so to get back in the swing of things since he hasn’t played in a real game in two years.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......getting his feet wet, knocking off some rust, getting up to game speed, I will be looking for him to get some boards, defend paint, couple put backs, hit some free throws, earning his increasing minutes......not fouling......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago

........well, do I recall correctly that someone posted here that he would be a 9-5 stat player? Not sure if that is over-hype.....
It was me. I believe 9-5 is achievable. He is going to score. He is not a passive as Jermaine, but just as physical.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

It was me. I believe 9-5 is achievable. He is going to score. He is not a passive as Jermaine, but just as physical.
[/quote
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

[/quote
........if so, he should pass Go, collect two hundred and go immediately to the starting line up.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What we do know is Walker’s first game most likely can’t be as bad as Harris’ against PC! (15 minutes with three turnovers, three fouls, zero shot attempts, two points, and 0 rebounds/assists/steals/blocks)
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Walker is as good as many in the program believe, he will help us considerably.

He's not the Second Coming though. He will rebound and hopefully be strong on defense.

Any scoring will be a bonus.

Would not be surprised if he scores more than Harris. That's not saying much however.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He's a dude. He's strong, physical and athletic. If he has even the shooting touch of Cyril he will be a help. We need more dudes.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

We had TJ Buchanan on the podcast last week. You can check out that interview its available. After the phone call ended we asked how Walker looked and he said Walker is beyond excited to get on the floor. He is reminding TJ each practice how many days until he gets on the floor.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago He's a dude. He's strong, physical and athletic. If he has even the shooting touch of Cyril he will be a help. We need more dudes.
Yup. The front court is lacking toughness when Cyril goes to the bench. Walker should help with that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Walker was a double-double machine in HS. Hes as bouncy as Toppin is and has a knack for scoring around the basket. He will score...or get fouled. He thrives on contact.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s hope he is much better than Preston , sounds like he is
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Walker was a double-double machine in HS. Hes as bouncy as Toppin is and has a knack for scoring around the basket. He will score...or get fouled. He thrives on contact.
the bounce and physicality we need, to help Cyril.

Am still optimistic on JH, but with Walkers bounce it will help since JH lacks that
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

How do you feel Walker will stack up against previous successful transfers to us... most notably Robinson & Iverson?

Robinson was a spark coming off the bench eventually earning a starting spot as a senior and having a decent season going 5.7 RPG / 8.8 PPG
Iverson came in starting right away and was very productive even with EC & JT & HM. Over 2 seasons: 7.2 RPG / 9.7 PPG

Walker comes in with 3 remaining seasons. I'm sure he expects to become a starter and could be next year, and most likely will be his senior year so long as he produces. With his size and athleticism I worry he'll be shifted by default to the 5 spot (per a10 standards) and struggle.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It would be pretty shocking if he isn’t a starter next year. I don’t know exactly how we’d define expectations for him, but one way that seems fair is that if he doesn’t earn a starting job for next year with his play the rest of this season, that would be pretty disappointing.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago We had TJ Buchanan on the podcast last week. You can check out that interview its available. After the phone call ended we asked how Walker looked and he said Walker is beyond excited to get on the floor. He is reminding TJ each practice how many days until he gets on the floor.
Is there a link to the podcast?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”