Which Game to you is the biggest Regular Season game of the year for URI MBB every year?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Which Game to you is the biggest game of the year for URI MBB every year?

Poll ended at 4 years ago

PC
55%
Dayton
3%
VCU
3%
Davidson
No votes
The team favored to win the A10 each year
11%
The Highest ranked team on our OOC Schedule each year
23%
All of the games are equally important
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 62

ramster
Frank Keaney

Which Game to you is the biggest Regular Season game of the year for URI MBB every year?

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Which Game to you is the biggest game of the year for URI MBB every year?

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I picked other - Any elimination game. That would be the Atlantic 10 tournament some years, the NCAA tournament other years. (The NIT and other tournaments, meh.)
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, is this regular season game? Cause otherwise its always going to be the next postseason game is most important for me.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Biggest or most important?

Biggest is PC. But rarely is PC ever the most important.

And obviously anything A10 semi finals and later is more important than anything regular season.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PC is biggest in terms of what many of us grew up with, or became a fan with
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Which Game to you is the biggest Regular Season game of the year for URI MBB every year?

Unread post by ramster »

It’s regular season. Obviously NCAA Tournament Games would be huge.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Re: Which Game to you is the biggest Regular Season game of the year for URI MBB every year?

Unread post by URI_05 »

I think the answer is different for those of us not from RI. PC is just another Big East team to me.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I didn’t vote......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It's not PC. Then again I did not grow up in RI, did not go to URI, and don't share the history. But from a strictly unemotional perspective, the biggest regular season games are against the A10 leader(s) whoever that is in any given year. That being said, any single game can put you in or knock you out of the tourney so they're all kind of important.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Western Kentucky.................going forward, this is big.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......I just changed from no vote to PC......I agree with those making a clear distinction between factors going into most important and biggest....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The next one
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The PC game is the most fun because of the proximity of the schools and fan bases, length, consistency, history and animosity that has developed over the years, but the biggest game usually happens late in the season against an A10 team, and the team/game is dependant on the season.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What game would hurt the most to lose? PC
We all feel better today because of that win and we would all be miserable if they lost.
When the season is over (good or bad) most of us would include in a summary that we beat PC.
I not sure many of us would include “and we beat VCU”.
That is why it is called a rivalry. Ask the players this question and I think they would all say PC.
Based on postgame interviews we know that Jeff and Fatts would.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I haven't voted yet...but since I'm old it was UConn back in the day.

Seems like we were always playing them for the Yankee Conference title.

Those games were nuts. Still our most played opponent.

I know Dan will never play us, but could we imagine an NCAA tourney game against them?

Nuts would be an understatement.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago The next one
Kinda like this...^^

If we win the next 4 and are hosting Davidson at 10-3...for me, that'll be the biggest game of the year to that point.
Beat Davidson at home to go 11-3, and the VCU game 3 days later is even bigger...
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The biggest game is always the next game.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

"The next one" is the correct answer. It has been my mantra for years..specifically " the next game is the biggest f*ck**ng game of the year"
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

A significant factor to be considered that seems to get overlooked in the discussion:

People who were Rhody fans in the 70's and 80's are carrying venom from:

*Dave Gavitt blocking URI from joining the newly formed Big East because he wanted PC to be the only media market in RI.

*The local media & print bias that existed at the time as a result of the Big East obsession...PC beating a no name opponent was the lead story & URI's upset win was barely mentioned on page 2.

*The ripple effect of the average Rhode Islander with no affiliation to either school rooting for PC instead of the state university.

*The RI State Senate issuing an official proclamation wishing the Friars (only) luck in the NCAA Tournament in a season where both teams went.

*Having to play our "home game" at the Civic Center for many years because the Friars played in a state-funded facility.

The outcome of this dynamic is a certain level of satisfaction for Rhody fans over the age of 55 EVERY SINGLE TIME we beat the Friars. Right or wrong, that satisfaction now exists for the children of those fans, like me.

The most likely outcome of this survey is the aforementioned PC fans who didn't attend PC being able to say "I told you that game means more to them than it does to us." Whatever his intentions were, Cooley saying it isn't a rivalry game is ignorant...period. Try telling someone in Cincinnati that Xavier/UC isn't a rivalry game. Ask Cincinnati fans if they won 1 game all season, who they'd want that win to be against. Is Auburn vs Alabama football not a rivalry game in the state of Alabama?

PC fans say this isn't rivalry game and their coach backtracked by saying that a rival is someone you play 2x a year and compete with a conference championship with. Using that criteria, I have a very simple & direct question....who exactly IS PC's rival then?
Last edited by Brian 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Brian wrote: 4 years ago A significant factor to be considered that seems to get overlooked in the discussion:

*Dave Gavitt blocking URI from joining the newly formed Big East because he wanted PC to be the only media market in RI.

*The local media & print bias that existed at the time as a result of the Big East obsession...PC beating a no name opponent was the lead story & URI's upset win was barely mentioned on page 2.

*The ripple effect of tehe average Rhode Islander with no affiliation to either school rooting for PC instead of the state university.

*The RI State Senate issuing an official proclamation wishing the Friars (only) luck in the NCAA Tournament in a season where both teams went.

*Having to play our "home game" at the Civic Center for many years because the Friars played in a state-funded facility.

The outcome of this dynamic is a certain level of satisfaction for Rhody fans over the age of 55 EVERY SINGLE TIME we beat the Friars. Right or wrong, that satisfaction now exists for the children of those fans, like me.

The most likely outcome of this survey is the aforementioned PC fans who didn't attend PC being able to say "I told you that game means more to them than it does to us." Whatever his intentions were, Cooley saying it isn't a rivalry game is ignorant...period. Try telling someone in Cincinnati that Xavier/UC isn't a rivalry game. Ask Cincinnati fans if they won 1 game all season, who they'd want that win to be against. Is Auburn vs Alabama football not a rivalry game in the state of Alabama?

PC fans say this isn't rivalry game and their coach backtracked by saying that a rival is someone you play 2x a year and compete with a conference championship with. Using that criteria, I have a very simple & direct question....who exactly IS PC's rival then?

I asked a buddy of mine who PCs rival is after showing him Cooley’s comment and he goes “Probably butler.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They’ve been in the Big East for about 5 years! If their fans think that then they are delusional.

Now when UCONN enters the Big East, they will easily be PCs biggest rival in the conference.
1 x
Go Rhody
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Brian wrote: 4 years ago A significant factor to be considered that seems to get overlooked in the discussion:

*The ripple effect of tehe average Rhode Islander with no affiliation to either school rooting for PC instead of the state university.

I asked a buddy of mine who PCs rival is after showing him Cooley’s comment and he goes “Probably butler.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They’ve been in the Big East for about 5 years! If their fans think that then they are delusional.

Now when UCONN enters the Big East, they will easily be PCs biggest rival in the conference.
I agree with that about UConn.

For furthur reference, here is PC's all-time wining percentage against it's "rivals" in the Old Big East:

Syracuse .172
Pitt .354
Villanova .380
Georgetown .384
UConn .415
St Johns .500
Seton Hall .527
BC .579

Edit: These percentages are from games since 1950.
Last edited by Brian 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago I think the answer is different for those of us not from RI. PC is just another Big East team to me.
I agree with this 100 % , I am from RI so I get pumped up for this game more than any other game because of the rivalry but I can understand if you are not from RI that the PC game would be just smother game on the schedule
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

One of PC's top Twitter fan accounts has had the same anti-URI tweet pinned to the top of their page for THIRTEEN straight months. Weird that I've never seen them pin an anti-Villanova tweet...
5 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

My God, I can't even believe this is a question.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

The answer to this has to be PC unequivocally. If you asked the question this way..."before the season starts, you can only pick one game to go to (and you don't know the records of the teams going into that game) which would you pick?" Easily 95% of this board would pick the PC game.
4 x
Rhodyram77
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhodyram77 »

Anyone have game replays from this year?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodyram77 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone have game replays from this year?
Go to any of Rhodysurf’s previous posts and he has a link underneath all of his posts
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodyram77 wrote: 4 years ago Still can't find it
Which game are you looking for?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Thinking that PC is the biggest game on the URI schedule every year is a sign of an inferiority complex. If we can't beat PC regularly, then we can't be a perennial NCAA tournament team. I have greater aspirations for URI Basketball. Call me a dreamer because I do THINK BIG.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m a Notre Dame football fan, and they have three “rivals” - USC, Michigan and Navy. Navy is a team they play every year and it’s been a half a century since the rivalry was really competitive on any level, but it’s based on mutual respect and shared history. USC and Notre Dame also have a respect-based friendly rivalry built when Notre Dame was being frozen out in the Midwest and had to resort to barnstorming the country for opponents and USC gamely scheduled them every year. But Michigan...Notre Dame institutionally and it’s fan base hate Michigan. Like, really hate them. They would love to beat Michigan every year, but I think they’d prefer it if the school just shuttered and everyone associated with it had to live under a bridge. There is a geographic component to it - South Bend and Ann Arbor are close enough that they compete for casual fans and for regional recruits. But more significantly, Michigan froze Notre Dame out not only of what is now the Big 10 but also organized a effort to blackball them in the entire Midwest - they would not play anyone that played Notre Dame and threatened to kick them out of the conference. The reason is partly pragmatic considering geographic threats and jealousies, but it was also in large part about WASP bigotry against Catholics. Many Notre Dame people of a certain age would still prefer to this day not to even play Michigan at all. (If interested, read more about ND/Michigan here https://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2012/ ... -michigan/)

To me, for URI, PC is much more Michigan than USC or Navy. Every year URI will play games that will be more important on its resume than the Providence game. But no game will mean more to me, on a personal level, than PC. I am extremely close to a half dozen PC grads of my parents’ generation who I love dearly, and so it pains me to say it in some respects, but I hate Providence College at an institutional level. I think the school itself is bad and, I’m not sure if evil is the right word, but they are not the good guys. The school has a deleterious effect on the state overall - it’s economy, it’s government, it’s culture. I hate them because of things they’ve done to us, and they’ve done those things to us because they hate us - not for anything we’ve ever done to them but because of the threat we represent. Some PC alumni are not educated about all of this history and naively but genuinely love and believe in the goodness that the school tells itself about itself, and I can forgive them that. But there is no greater signal to me of ignorance or lack of character and moral depth than a Rhode Islander who went to neither school and roots for PC. Never mind the disgusting few who went to URI and still root for PC - those people are subhuman to me.

So yeah. I hate them. And not just the basketball program, but the institution itself. Their delusions aside, they have never been and never will be the best basketball program on our schedule or represent the biggest potential win for us. But I don’t hate VCU or Dayton, and even though I’ve met some annoying fans from those programs those games don’t represent the same opportunity to me to extract some measure of vengeance. When the game ends and we part company, I really want those teams to go on and do well. I do not wish Providence to do well with anything, ever. It is a blood feud to me. I wish them to be plagued not just by bad basketball, but scandal and academic failure and financial ruin. In that context it is the biggest rivalry to me and I’m not afraid to say that. I don’t care if they think it’s their biggest rivalry or not a rivalry - like I said, they are delusional idiots so if they want to say Villanova is their biggest rival or whatever, more power to them. Not my problem. I hate them and I want to kick their ass every time we can.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Tell us how you really feel :)
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think I did!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gavitt invited BC, UCONN and Holy across to the BE. He left out URI and UMASS. He wanted the Connecticut Media Market sure, but Storrs Connecticut is very close to Kingston RI, Springfield MA and Amherst MA.
Gavitt hated URI and never got over Sly Williams getting off the train in Kingston when he had committed to PC and Gavitt was expecting him in Providence. How do you invite Holy Cross when BC is nearby? But not URI? Why Not UMASS? Catholic Schools was the common thread and still is in the New Big East. Public Universities like URI and UMASS has that as a strike against them. UConn was different as it had the Connecticut Market plus Gavitt was buddy buddy with the AD there.
Gavitt hated URI.

The core of the Big East formed when Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse invited Seton Hall, Connecticut (UConn), Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Boston College (BC).

*The ripple effect of the average Rhode Islander with no affiliation to either school rooting for PC instead of the state university.

*Ruben the thug Garces sucker punching Michael Anderson in the face in 1996. Terrible. In this internet age that would have been shown around the world. Ranked up there similar to Kermit Washington breaking Rudy Tomjanovich’ jaw.

*The big fight in the Providence Civic Center in which HC Al Skinner was in the middle of. A viscous fight in which serious injury could have occurred. Again in this internet age would have gotten huge publicity.

*Rhody the Ram getting assaulted in the Men’s Rest Room at the Providence Civic Center and requiring medical attention at the hospital. Apology from PC administration was slow in coming and lacked sincerity. Nobody ever found to have committed this heinous act.

*Providence Civic Center being built with Taxpayer Dollars but really for the PC Basketball Team.

I added a bit of color in blue
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can tell you from living in Providence County my whole life, that to PC fans, a loss to URI is THE worst thing that can happen to them.
0 x
GO RAMS
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Also:

* PC players seeming to escape prosecution after committing felonies when the lawyers/judges/legislators who share a PC undergrad/Suffolk Law School connection get involved.

*The "Safety School" chant. See TP's post for context.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The irony of a safety school chanting "safety school" is so on brand for them.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’m a Notre Dame football fan, and they have three “rivals” - USC, Michigan and Navy. Navy is a team they play every year and it’s been a half a century since the rivalry was really competitive on any level, but it’s based on mutual respect and shared history. USC and Notre Dame also have a respect-based friendly rivalry built when Notre Dame was being frozen out in the Midwest and had to resort to barnstorming the country for opponents and USC gamely scheduled them every year. But Michigan...Notre Dame institutionally and it’s fan base hate Michigan. Like, really hate them. They would love to beat Michigan every year, but I think they’d prefer it if the school just shuttered and everyone associated with it had to live under a bridge. There is a geographic component to it - South Bend and Ann Arbor are close enough that they compete for casual fans and for regional recruits. But more significantly, Michigan froze Notre Dame out not only of what is now the Big 10 but also organized a effort to blackball them in the entire Midwest - they would not play anyone that played Notre Dame and threatened to kick them out of the conference. The reason is partly pragmatic considering geographic threats and jealousies, but it was also in large part about WASP bigotry against Catholics. Many Notre Dame people of a certain age would still prefer to this day not to even play Michigan at all. (If interested, read more about ND/Michigan here https://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2012/ ... -michigan/)
Mrs. Red grew up in Ann Arbor and all my in-laws went to Michigan, so believe me when I say the feeling is mutual.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ha Red I believe you that it runs hot on both sides. As far as the ND/Michigan thing, I didn’t go to ND and I’m not from the area, so while hating the rival is kind of fun I don’t take that one as seriously. I’ll even root for Michigan against Ohio State, depending on who is having a better season (I’ll always root for the worse one to upset the better one). I save all my real hate for rivalries I’m more invested in, like Providence.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
To me, for URI, PC is much more Michigan than USC or Navy. Every year URI will play games that will be more important on its resume than the Providence game. But no game will mean more to me, on a personal level, than PC. I am extremely close to a half dozen PC grads of my parents’ generation who I love dearly, and so it pains me to say it in some respects, but I hate Providence College at an institutional level. I think the school itself is bad and, I’m not sure if evil is the right word, but they are not the good guys. The school has a deleterious effect on the state overall - it’s economy, it’s government, it’s culture. I hate them because of things they’ve done to us, and they’ve done those things to us because they hate us - not for anything we’ve ever done to them but because of the threat we represent. Some PC alumni are not educated about all of this history and naively but genuinely love and believe in the goodness that the school tells itself about itself, and I can forgive them that. But there is no greater signal to me of ignorance or lack of character and moral depth than a Rhode Islander who went to neither school and roots for PC. Never mind the disgusting few who went to URI and still root for PC - those people are subhuman to me.

So yeah. I hate them. And not just the basketball program, but the institution itself. Their delusions aside, they have never been and never will be the best basketball program on our schedule or represent the biggest potential win for us. But I don’t hate VCU or Dayton, and even though I’ve met some annoying fans from those programs those games don’t represent the same opportunity to me to extract some measure of vengeance. When the game ends and we part company, I really want those teams to go on and do well. I do not wish Providence to do well with anything, ever. It is a blood feud to me. I wish them to be plagued not just by bad basketball, but scandal and academic failure and financial ruin. In that context it is the biggest rivalry to me and I’m not afraid to say that. I don’t care if they think it’s their biggest rivalry or not a rivalry - like I said, they are delusional idiots so if they want to say Villanova is their biggest rival or whatever, more power to them. Not my problem. I hate them and I want to kick their ass every time we can.
It's funny, I am catching up on this thread and happen to have the newest edition of the URI Magazine next to me which highlights the new engineering building we have on our beautiful campus.

I agree with you, 100%. I cannot directly think of a positive economic impact PC has on this state? If anything it's detrimental with their alumni at the State House. I have PC alums in my family who I love dearly (one not so much, but that's neither here nor there). Another cousin of mine is married to a PC grad and they act like it is the best school out there "ohhhh PC this, PC that". It's not. At all. It's an inflated liberal arts college and only gets its recognition from its basketball glory of days long gone and the fact its run by Dominicans. Whoopdie doo. If the PC fans took a look at facts at where our university is compared to their institution in terms of international recognition, I would hope they would renege, but we know how that goes.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's a big game but not every year for me. I refuse to go to the dump. So when it's there it's just another road game against a middling nbe team. Any game that sells out the Ryan Center is the biggest game of the year for me.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago My God, I can't even believe this is a question.
Neither can I, Red, and I asked it.
But 53% do say the Biggest Regular Season Game is the PC URI Game
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago My God, I can't even believe this is a question.
Neither can I, Red, and I asked it.
But 53% do say the Biggest Regular Season Game is the PC URI Game

The next time anyone complains about the lack of respect we get from the average fan, about the lack of coverage from the ProCoJo, about the lack of support we get from the legislature, remind them that none of that changes until we beat the mental hospital like an old rug over a clothesline year in and year out. THAT's why this is the most important regular-season game we play.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago I think the answer is different for those of us not from RI. PC is just another Big East team to me.
When were you at URI?
If you were there during the Baron years I can see to some extent why you don't think the PC is any different from any other Big East Team. Did you attend the PC-URI Games while you attended URI?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So this means all games are equal. The next game is always the most important game.

PC is just like Brown as long as it is the next game.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So this means all games are equal. The next game is always the most important game.

Not even close. It means that a day or two after the game vs. PC is over (win or lose), it's over, I'm over it and I'm looking forward to the next game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

In college basketball where you only play possibly 30 games a year... every game is a big game and all are equal. One bad loss even after a big win can make a big difference especially for non power 5 conference teams... one of the reasons I love NCAA over NBA.
0 x