12/6 | Providence | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 12/6 | Providence | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

But clearly you know we can’t control what players or coaches say for URI, any more than you can control what comes out of Cooley’s mouth every year. I have always though Cooley was a poor HC but he is even surpassing my low expectations of him.
Sure, I agree with that. And again I know the Super Bowl comments existed long before the comments last night, but a player insinuating a game is like playing in the NBA Finals, I don’t care what type of hype they think they are building, it’s only reinforcing the people who make the Super Bowl comments to keep making them.

That was my only point. It almost falls into the category of “Don’t feed the trolls.” If you don’t want idiots making the Super Bowl comments, don’t feed into them. If players are going to make comments like that, don’t be surprised if the people who believed in the SB comments get even more juiced up about it.
UCONN? Really number 1?
Absolutely. You have to remember that PC’s alumni/season ticket base has a lot of people from CT who live in Huskyland. You also have to remember that irregardless of where UCONN has been the last 3 seasons, the game is going to bring a ton of excitement from people stuck in the old Big East. It’s also going to draw a ton of UCONN fans and their obnoxiousness. URI fans are generally loud but not obnoxious. The fact there will have been a 7 year break between games will help feed that environment. Heck, the two teams sold pretty well for a nothing exhibition game in 2017.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any replay of the game?
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t even know where the NBA finals comment came from, I rewatched the game and don’t recall that sound bite. I did recall them interviewing Duke and Cooley and talking about what a big game/rivalry it was. I wonder if they will say the same thing about the Marquette or Butler games? They had similar coverage of the X/UC game today.

Net net it’s a big game for both programs, in similar ways. It’s big for fans, media and ticket sales. For both programs.
0 x
Rhodyram77
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhodyram77 »

Anyone have a replay of the game?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The comments came after the first media timeout, after they interviewed some PC players and Cooley. It was roughly the time when they showed Cox giving out the DD gift cards to the students. They said they talked to Dowtin and he said this is our NBA finals.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

What is wrong with Diallo? He had the makings of a stud player two years ago. I was really impressed with him in the 2017 game. He has really regressed this season. I have a work colleague who’s a PC fan but is level headed who thought heading into last season that he would make an NBA roster. I disagreed because I didn’t think he was quick enough or a consistent enough outside shooter, but I could see a bit as to how others might think so. I don’t think anyone thinks that now.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Dowtin was asked by a reporter what he could best compare PLAYING in a uri-pc game to and said NBA finals. To me, he was alluding to the Ryan Center atmosphere. He did not say “this is our nba finals.” A bit out of context there I think.

4 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

JustKenny wrote: 4 years ago I'm gonna post this 1 more time for the people in the back to make sure they hear me:
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... mekhi-long

Khi is a 4 star recruit. I think they mentioned that during the game. Now I know there were/are some doubters. I get that. Y'all don't know him or see the work he puts in on his own. And honestly some of these recruits get so much hype that it is nearly impossible to live up to. Khi is the real deal. He is always ready to play, and does so effortlessly. He doesn't make a big deal out of what he does, he just does it. Just like any other player tho, he needs to find his rhythm. You can't put him in for 2 mins here and there and expect a big impact. He needs continuous mins and he will maximize it. Like I've mentioned before, I figured he would be further along by now, but that's not his fault. Coaches do what they think is best at the time, tho I disagreed with how they were playing him. Khi should have been in that UMD game a ton more. I was pissed. That's his hometown game and he hardly got any time and we lost (as u can tell, I'm still a lil salty). Im a UMD (hometown) fan but for that 1 night I was the only RI fan in a see of red! I KNOW for a fact it would have been a different game if Khi got some proper mins. A couple of them losses could have been different but I know, I know, I'm cheerleading at this point, but I said it and stand by it. Again, Khi is blue collar. Most of his points come in the paint, from deflections, from steals, rebounds.....grunt work. This is what he's best at. They can't stop him, he has too many post moves. I can stick my chest out a bit on here because I told you so! 😁 I'm just hoping the coaches don't do the switch up and give him mins here and there again. As a good friend always tells me, you can't put the genie back in the bottle!
Kenny you don't have to convince me. I've loved what I've seen the minute I saw him play. He does the little things; the ball seems to find him, he can defend. It's easier to see it live than on TV. He had 4 steals and 2 blocks the other night, to go with the 9 and 7. Now I'm not sure I'm ready to say he's going to be a star, but he will be a very good player IMO, and he can help us this year.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

PC's chemistry just seems way off. Bringing in Pipkins seems like a huge mistake at this point. If I was Cooley I think I would go small, and have Pipkins come off the bench, for instant offense, let him fire away. Put Reeves and White in the starting lineup with Dunn and move Diallo to the 4. Shake it up. He has to do something. Switch the centers back too.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago PC's chemistry just seems way off. Bringing in Pipkins seems like a huge mistake at this point. If I was Cooley I think I would go small, and have Pipkins come off the bench, for instant offense, let him fire away. Put Reeves and White in the starting lineup with Dunn and move Diallo to the 4. Shake it up. He has to do something. Switch the centers back too.
It would be great if we could bring Dunn back but think he is playing for the Bulls now. :D
2 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

I know most of you guys were at the game and not sure if this was already caught in this thread or another, but the national championship trophy was on display at the game. I guess it's being brought to several nationally televised games this year and the Ryan Center had it for a night. Very cool! I truly believe one of these years it will be ours to keep.
3 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Ram1019 wrote: 4 years ago Dowtin was asked by a reporter what he could best compare PLAYING in a uri-pc game to and said NBA finals. To me, he was alluding to the Ryan Center atmosphere. He did not say “this is our nba finals.” A bit out of context there I think.

Thank you for posting this, I was somewhat skeptical that Dowtin would single out the pc game as our NBA Finals. He was ASKED by a reported how he could best compare playing in a uri pc game... so basically ANY answer given would fit into the pc super bowl narrative.

RJ your pride must really be hurting for you to try and spin this the way you are, enjoy the Big East basement.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ha ha I think 21377 meant Duke not Dunn....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Someone should tell the UConn fans about their big rivalry with PC. Most seem to know nothing about it.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......we won, they didn’t, that will believe it nor not bring an inner smile to me until next December...
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Someone should tell the UConn fans about their big rivalry with PC. Most seem to know nothing about it.
Totally agree. This is a made up rivalry by PC. UConn was going to Sweet16s, Elite 8s, Final Fours and winning National Championships. PC was mostly in the bottom half of the Real Big East. They meant nothing to UConn. UConn’s big regular season games were Syracuse and Villanova.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Someone should tell the UConn fans about their big rivalry with PC. Most seem to know nothing about it.
Lets be clear here b/c RJ likes to twist any comments made to fit his narrative. He didn't say UCONN was their biggest rival, he said it would be their biggest HOME game. I'm guessing UCONN and Nova fans aren't considering pc their biggest rivals.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago
Ram1019 wrote: 4 years ago Dowtin was asked by a reporter what he could best compare PLAYING in a uri-pc game to and said NBA finals. To me, he was alluding to the Ryan Center atmosphere. He did not say “this is our nba finals.” A bit out of context there I think.

Thank you for posting this, I was somewhat skeptical that Dowtin would single out the pc game as our NBA Finals. He was ASKED by a reported how he could best compare playing in a uri pc game... so basically ANY answer given would fit into the pc super bowl narrative.

RJ your pride must really be hurting for you to try and spin this the way you are, enjoy the Big East basement.
So RJ,
What say you now?
Much ado about nothing?
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Big Ed better get on the stick because UConn and Dan are coming for them next season. LOL
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I will agree that URI/PC is a big game for both and a rivalry (something for the state of RI to be proud of). However, with rare exceptions, I doubt it is the biggest game of the year for either team most years. This year (thus) far URI's biggest games were at MD, West Va, and vs. LSU. While beating PC is great for state bragging rights, wins over the other 3 would be bigger. Same for 3 years ago with the win over Cincinnati to get to Duke and 2 years ago beating Seton Hall to get to Virginia. It is not our Super Bowl, and has never been. There are always bigger wins on the schedule for both teams. Is it a big game for both? Yes. Biggest? No.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It would have been a bigger game for us if PC was ranked or something.

I know their rating will improve as the season goes on, due to playing all top 100 teams in the BE [whether or not they win any of them lol]...but right now beating them is like beating Fordham.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago PC's chemistry just seems way off. Bringing in Pipkins seems like a huge mistake at this point. If I was Cooley I think I would go small, and have Pipkins come off the bench, for instant offense, let him fire away. Put Reeves and White in the starting lineup with Dunn and move Diallo to the 4. Shake it up. He has to do something. Switch the centers back too.
It would be great if we could bring Dunn back but think he is playing for the Bulls now. :D
oops sorry Duke i meant
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

So RJ,
What say you now?
Much ado about nothing?
My relaying information was what was said on the broadcast which I directly quoted here.

I’m glad to hear the direct quote. I don’t believe it’s URIs “Super Bowl” as I said 1000 times so I’m glad to hear the context of the quote relayed on the broadcast was incorrect.

Lastly PC sucks right now. The coaching sucks, the team sucks. Has nothing to do with an in-state rivalry.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The use of “super bowl” is dumb anyways. No game is the super bowl unless there is a trophy and a banner on the line. Maybe a conference championship for URI, since there is a trophy, a banner and the real goal of any season (NCAA tournament trip) on the line. But even that isn’t truly a super bowl since there are more games after it if you win.

The better analogy is Pats/Steelers, or Pats/Ravens at various points, or Pats/Colts when Peyton Manning was alive. Red Sox/Yankees. It’s a game that matters no matter what the standings say, and it matters in an outsized way to players, coaches and especially fans compared to what the quantifiable significance of the game actually is. Arguing about how we talk about that is silly. It’s just semantics.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Anyone who thinks UCONN/PC is a rivalry is way off. Its about as big a rivalry as URI/UMass. People call it a rivalry sometimes, but people dont get hyped about it. UConn's rival is Syracuse. End of story.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Lets be clear here b/c RJ likes to twist any comments made to fit his narrative. He didn't say UCONN was their biggest rival, he said it would be their biggest HOME game. I'm guessing UCONN and Nova fans aren't considering pc their biggest rivals.
That’s exactly what I meant so I’m not sure about why the pot shot at the beginning. The original comment was what will be the biggest games of the season for PC. There are a lot of different ways to take that. I took it as biggest home games. At this point PCs biggest games are the season are probably Stony Brook, St. John’s, and Georgetown since those might be the only teams left on the schedule they can actually beat.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

They sure have their share of delusional posters over there and like most other boards some very good posters who are objective and seem to have a good grasp of both teams. I'm always amazed that some of the delusional posters seem to revert to pointing out that this is the "biggest game of the year for us" and its our "super bowl". I never understood the logic as to why a mid/lower tier BE team like pc would be a bigger game for us than any ranked opponent or conf game vs a VCU, Dayton type team? I guess thats why they're delusional? In fact had we lost this game its likely going to be a bad loss come March. Regardless, always good to be the top dog in the state.. onto Western Kentucky and a nice welcome for Antwan to the team.
“Rams star senior Jeff Dowtin says this is our NBA Finals.”

“He (David Cox) like everybody around this program so excited this is their big game all season on campus.”

These were comments on the broadcast last night. If you don’t want that to be the narrative, the program needs to help control that. If I’m sitting there as one of the fans who believe in the Super Bowl comment, and then hear on the broadcast Dowtin is saying it’s our NBA Finals, and Cox is talking to the announcers pregame about how it’s the biggest game on campus all season, what do you expect to happen? Just reinforces the ignorance.

I don't know where you work or hangout RJ....with the new baby the hangouts are over....but where I work in the Rhode Island court system I run into the extreme hubris of providence fans all the time.....I don't get many Dayton, VCU, Davidson, etc. grads who try to bust my balls over being a Rhode Island fan..so a win over the friars is important in a different way than wins over our conference rivals....in some ways it is more important to my mental sanity.....mainly because your fanbase only knows the friars and the big east they are ignorant of how good some of the A10 teams are....finally when they use that age old insult about not being able to spell urine without URI I counter that you cannot spell piece of shit without p c
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I posted about Dawan Robinson being at the game in the FATTS thread.

Also at the game were Ibn Bakari, Damont Collins, Kevin Whiting, Will Leviton and commenting from abroad Jimmy Baron, Jr.

Did I miss anyone?
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago
They sure have their share of delusional posters over there and like most other boards some very good posters who are objective and seem to have a good grasp of both teams. I'm always amazed that some of the delusional posters seem to revert to pointing out that this is the "biggest game of the year for us" and its our "super bowl". I never understood the logic as to why a mid/lower tier BE team like pc would be a bigger game for us than any ranked opponent or conf game vs a VCU, Dayton type team? I guess thats why they're delusional? In fact had we lost this game its likely going to be a bad loss come March. Regardless, always good to be the top dog in the state.. onto Western Kentucky and a nice welcome for Antwan to the team.
“Rams star senior Jeff Dowtin says this is our NBA Finals.”

“He (David Cox) like everybody around this program so excited this is their big game all season on campus.”

These were comments on the broadcast last night. If you don’t want that to be the narrative, the program needs to help control that. If I’m sitting there as one of the fans who believe in the Super Bowl comment, and then hear on the broadcast Dowtin is saying it’s our NBA Finals, and Cox is talking to the announcers pregame about how it’s the biggest game on campus all season, what do you expect to happen? Just reinforces the ignorance.

I don't know where you work or hangout RJ....with the new baby the hangouts are over....but where I work in the Rhode Island court system I run into the extreme hubris of providence fans all the time.....I don't get many Dayton, VCU, Davidson, etc. grads who try to bust my balls over being a Rhode Island fan..so a win over the friars is important in a different way than wins over our conference rivals....in some ways it is more important to my mental sanity.....mainly because your fanbase only knows the friars and the big east they are ignorant of how good some of the A10 teams are....finally when they use that age old insult about not being able to spell urine without URI I counter that you cannot spell piece of shit without p c
The majority of them watch PC and some BE and literally nothing else. The A10 is crap until say they get a transfer from a bottom feeder school - say like Isaiah Jackson or Pipkins or next year Bynum. Then sight unseen that player is a world beater and is going to change their future. You would have thought Pipkins was Allen iverson by the hype train that came when he signed there. Only issue is those people only saw the kid play twice, when he played PC. They missed the other 35-40 games when he was a cancer and volume scoring combo guard on a really bad team. Well that chicken has now come to roost and I just feel so bad for them. :)

Say what you want about our fans and this board, but without a doubt we talk about hoops with a much larger perspective here; even just with our “other games” thread that tracks our opponents for the entire season and always is a high traffic thread. They live in a bubble, a very small one.
6 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago The use of “super bowl” is dumb anyways. No game is the super bowl unless there is a trophy and a banner on the line. Maybe a conference championship for URI, since there is a trophy, a banner and the real goal of any season (NCAA tournament trip) on the line. But even that isn’t truly a super bowl since there are more games after it if you win.

The better analogy is Pats/Steelers, or Pats/Ravens at various points, or Pats/Colts when Peyton Manning was alive. Red Sox/Yankees. It’s a game that matters no matter what the standings say, and it matters in an outsized way to players, coaches and especially fans compared to what the quantifiable significance of the game actually is. Arguing about how we talk about that is silly. It’s just semantics.
Whenever I hear people referencing big games, like the Super Bowl, I think back to this exchange between a reporter and mercurial Dallas RB Duane Thomas prior to the Cowboys Super Bowl VI matchup with Miami. When asked his feelings on playing in the ultimate game, Thomas responded “If it’s the ultimate game, how come they play it every year”.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My favorite picture from the game.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago My favorite picture from the game.
I'm looking forward to four years of that!
2 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I posted about Dawan Robinson being at the game in the FATTS thread.

Also at the game were Ibn Bakari, Damont Collins, Kevin Whiting, Will Leviton and commenting from abroad Jimmy Baron, Jr.

Did I miss anyone?
I printed out 250 of the Cooley #1 Picture in his URI shirt and gave them to the students. After the game I was walking in the hallway holding it up and ran into the above mentioned ex-Rhody Players but they happened to be with Ed Cooley's sister and she was a very good sport but asked if we could get a picture. I couldn't post the picture but here's a link to it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELY--5UWwAA ... name=large

I even got a bunch of PC fans to chuckle on the pictures.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My thoughts on the Biggest Rivalry Game in New England, somewhat late.........
  • Harris won the tip to start the game but committed an early offensive foul. He committed 2 fouls later in the 1st half but both were questionable calls. David Cox profusely discussed both Harris foul calls with the Refs
  • Harris' misfortune led Cox to substitute Mekhi Long 70 seconds into the game.
  • Long had a great game coming up with a game high 4 steals (next closest player had 2). He also had 7 rebounds, 9 points, 2 big blocks in a season high 23 minutes. He certainly made David Cox look like a genius in selecting him 1st man off the bench
  • As has been said Fatts was superb. Impressive was that while Fatts hit a layup early, he then missed his next 5 shots. In the past this might have led Fatts to struggle the whole game, but now Fatts is playing with such confidence he fights off a 5 miss string. He stole a ball and went in for an easy layup and off he want for 24 points on 4-5 3P Shooting with 8 assists. In the 2nd half I watched Fatts cross half court across from the URI bench. You could see Fatts slowly dribbling down the right side seeing in his eyes that he was just setting up Pipkins. As guessed, Fatts turned on the jets, easily blew by an unsuspecting Pipkins and went in for a layup. Fatts looked great but he also made the Grad Student transfer Pipkins look very bad on the night.
  • PC had no answer for Langevine who was a beast as usual. 17 points, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals. He played like a grown man
  • Jeff Dowtin played a game high 38 minutes, a clear indication of the confidence David Cox has in him. Dowtin played a steady game, not particularly flashy but doing all of the right things to help a team win. Only 1 turnover in 38 minutes
  • The Halftime recognition of record setting, amazing Lotte Black was beautifully done. Her long list of accomplishments were announced and she graciously accepted the honors bestowed upon her. She is very humble and a wonderful asset to the University. She also had her 3.95 GPA announced.
  • Watched Tyrese Martin talking back and forth with Alpha Diallo who he was assigned to cover. Martin did an excellent job of covering Diallo, taking him out of his game and minimizing Diallo's impact holding him to only 13 points, only 4 rebounds, only 1 assist, Diallo committed 5 turnovers and got 4 fouls.
  • Toppin was impressive. As already mentioned, he had an incredible block whereby he went straight up to avoid the foul and it seemed his hands were 2 feet above rim level when he blocked the shot.
  • URI had more assists, more steals, more blocks and fewer turnovers than PC. Nice win in all 4 of those statistical categories
  • While PCs Freshman Greg Gantt was a Top 100 ESPN Ranked Player, he finished with 2 rebounds and 2 points in 16 minutes. He looked good but curiously Cooley limited his playing time. Long and Toppin both looked more impressive than Gantt
  • Cooley brought in Pipkins to solve last season's disaster at PG. Pipkins was 0-5 FG, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 TOs, zero points in only 17 minutes. Completely outplayed by URI PG Russell
  • With 5:55 minutes to play, Fatts hit a big 3P shot to make the score 62-55. David Duke fouled at 5:27 to play which was his 4th foul. To my amazement, Cooley pulled David Duke, with Pipkins taking his place at PG which I thought at the time was a big mistake. Sure enough Fatts hit another 3P, Martin hit a layup, Fatts hit yet another 3P and the score quickly jumped from a 7 point lead to a 15 point lead at 70-55. Cooley put Duke back in at 3:49 but it was too late. Some very curious substitution moves by Cooley but that's nothing new to what I've seen him do in the past.
  • Great atmosphere, great coaching job by David Cox and his entire staff, great job by Rhody Ruckus and JV, great job by the Band, Ramettes, Cheerleaders
  • It's great to be a Rhody Ram
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
8 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Resetting URI and PC headed into exam break.

3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill,
Great picture of Langevine and Watson fighting for the rebound.
I thought Langevine's 16 rebounds were key with the next closest player being Young with 9 rebounds, followed by Mekhi Long off the bench with 7 big rebounds to go with a game high 4 steals in only 23 minutes of play.

As Cooley wants to take the blame for his players performance, I'd question his decision to pull David Duke at the 5:27 mark behind by 7 points when Duke picked up his 4th foul. URI ran off 8 straight points to extend the lead to 15 following that decision. Duke was a bright spot for PC with his play plus Pipkins was showing very little. I'd have left Duke in the game to win or lose it - if he fouls out he fouls out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Duke and Watson were it for PC.....Watson still isn't 100%.....

I'm going to guess PC gets a little better, but not much better unless Pipkins sits a whole lot more.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The nice thing about beating PC is that it turns their whole season into a win/win for me. If they spiral, then I can let my schadenfreude out. If they turn it around, URI’s resume improves with every win they get. I’m not particularly invested in one outcome over the other, so I can just sit back and enjoy.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Unfortunately I can't be that lucky. My wish is that they lose every game they play and miss every shot they take.
3 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Listen - its a big game every year. ESPN does not put this game on the Deuce if it wasnt. Period. PC can say it isnt a rivalry or what ever. The fan bases know and show its a RIVALRY game.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right
- ESPN2
- Prime time Friday Night 7PM slot
- Public State University vs Private Catholic College
- Atlantic 10 vs Big East
- Long history of bad blood between the schools
- Coach of PC says it’s not a Rivalry because they don’t play 2 games per year
- Coach of PC says it’s just a game so he can feed his kids - looks like he’s not going hungry either
- Local paper gives significantly more print space to PC vs URI
- PC plays in a public taxpayer funded facility
- PC fans beat up Rhody the Ram
It’s been a big rivalry for a long time, back since the 1960’s. It’s the most intense rivalry between any College Basketball Teams in New England every year.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......wonder if the Cinncy vs Xavier comes close?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Right
- ESPN2
- Prime time Friday Night 7PM slot
- Public State University vs Private Catholic College
- Atlantic 10 vs Big East
- Long history of bad blood between the schools
- Coach of PC says it’s not a Rivalry because they don’t play 2 games per year
- Coach of PC says it’s just a game so he can feed his kids - looks like he’s not going hungry either
- Local paper gives significantly more print space to PC vs URI
- PC plays in a public taxpayer funded facility
- PC fans beat up Rhody the Ram
It’s been a big rivalry for a long time, back since the 1960’s. It’s the most intense rivalry between any College Basketball Teams in New England every
year.

MULTIPLE TIMES OVER THE YEARS THERE HAVE BEEN BRAWLS BETWEEN FANS DURING AND AFTER THE CONTEST.
FOR MANY YEARS THE TWO TEAMS PLAYED " TWICE A YEAR" ED.
MUCH OF THE FAN BASE DESPISE EACH OTHER

ITS AN F'IN RIVALRY AND HAS BEEN FOR A LONG TIME.
AND I GET TO GLOAT FOR THE NEXT CALENDAR YEAR!!!!
3 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

That’s exactly what I meant so I’m not sure about why the pot shot at the beginning. The original comment was what will be the biggest games of the season for PC. There are a lot of different ways to take that. I took it as biggest home games. At this point PCs biggest games are the season are probably Stony Brook, St. John’s, and Georgetown since those might be the only teams left on the schedule they can actually beat.
I agree with you about that.

If you are talking rivalry by number of games played, UConn has a bigger rivalry with URI than PC. URI has played UConn twice as much as PC has played UConn over the year. :mrgreen:
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago

If you are talking rivalry by number of games played, UConn has a bigger rivalry with URI than PC. URI has played UConn twice as much as PC has played UConn over the year. :mrgreen:
It’s biggest game was the poll question. Never said anything about home game.

You answered as if all these games were at home for next year.

You have URI #3. I’m not surprised. I expected you to not have URI #1.

Next season when URI comes back to town, PC’s biggest home games in order barring drawing an unlikely matchup against Michigan/Michigan St in the Gavitt Games or some other really significant but unlikely home & home.

1) UCONN
2) Villanova
3) URI
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago

It’s biggest game was the poll question. Never said anything about home game.

You answered as if all these games were at home for next year.

You have URI #3. I’m not surprised. I expected you to not have URI #1.

Next season when URI comes back to town, PC’s biggest home games in order barring drawing an unlikely matchup against Michigan/Michigan St in the Gavitt Games or some other really significant but unlikely home & home.

1) UCONN
2) Villanova
3) URI
I guess it depends on the type of fan you are. I don’t have vitriol for URI, so I’m not the type of person whose going to sit here and say my season starts and ends with the URI/PC game.

I enjoy the URI game, but I wouldn’t consider it PC’s biggest game in any season. Playing ranked opponents at home and building a tournament resume is more important to me.

That said, to me my original answer was how I think the people of Friartown would rank the home slate for next season.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I kind of agree. 3 years ago, URI lost a close game to PC. Of course I wanted to win that game, but did it negate winning the A10 championship, beating Creighton, then barely losing to Oregon in Sacramento in the NCAAs? Of course not. They also beat Cincinnati that year and hung tough with Duke. Yes a rival game vs. PC is a big game for both sides every year. To deny that is folly. But it isn't the biggest game for either team every year. Some years yes, some years no, depending on how the season is.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll add that these blue balloons were a tremendous idea for the Ruckus section. The students were waving those noodles like crazy whenever PC attempted a FT. All the posters were great too. Fantastic job by the Ruckus. Best I’ve ever seen.

C1DFD19E-1441-4CE4-8F9C-8113B2385628.jpeg
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I'd be curious...since the Ryan Center opened, which visiting team (minimum 2 visits) has drawn the largest average crowd. Doesn't the largest crowd go to the biggest game? I don't know the answer for sure, but would be willing to bet a mortgage payment it's PC. Any takers?

I can't believe this is seriously being debated.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great highlights of the game. They had everything except the Toppin dunk block. Of course my favorite was the second key 3 Fatts hit within a minute, this time over a player ONE FOOT TALLER THAN HIM (at 2:38 in this video). :shock:

1 x