12/6 | Providence | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/6 | Providence | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

...Harris still stinks though.

15 minutes, 3 fouls, 3 turnovers, zero shot attempts, zero rebounds, zero assists, zero blocks, zero steals.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago The Fryizz came over the mountain
The Fryizz came over the mountain
The Fryizz came over the mount-TAINNNNNNNNNNN

And Rhody kicked their ass'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember that chant at the ends of games. We need to bring it back!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

The mekhi poster is licking his lips. Boy did he call Long correctly. The kid played with poise tonight
Who was the poster? Long was outstanding tonight and I am all in. Kid can play for sure. He was just grabbing rebounds out of the friars hands.
Cant recall his screen name off top of my head but he talked him up huge in the recruitment thread.
JustKenny is the poster. Congrats are in order for sure. Cox went with Long as his first substitution when Harris picked up his second foul. Clearly Cox and the Coaching Staff were aware of Longs talents.

JustKenny talked Long up in the last game thread too.
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Fatts and Cyril were awesome. Great supporting efforts by Long, Toppin and Martin early when we needed it. There are going to be big games where we will need the Dowtin of the past to be the hero-think he will get going at some point. Also we will need Tate and Harris to contribute as it had looked as if both were ready to make a jump coming into this year. Great win and all around effort on creating turnovers. Give Cox credit for sticking by Fatts, I know most of us including me were really down on him last year. Playing with great confidence.

On the PC side, their fans have to be sick by the effort they give on loose balls and the lackluster attitude on passes. They have no life to them and have the look of a 14-17 team that is ready to put away the basketball for the year rather than one in early December.

Get the rest of the non conference games especially the next one which will be real tough and we are in decent shape besides the fact that we don’t have any quality wins.

Very few predicted 9-3 OOC, we pull that off & will be in great shape. I was very down on the squad after losing by 30 over final 30 minutes against maryland after being up 12. Would have been great to pull off a W in WV but its one of the hardest placest to play in the country. And we dropped 80. The team has potential!
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

That was a lot of fun.. love that on campus home court advantage... Hey fatts you're 2-1 against PC.. just saying.. nothing but praise for this team and the crowd tonight..
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cox COACHED HIS ASS OFF TONIGHT. With 7 guys against their 11.

We will have Walker and Tate back for WKU.

Things are looking UP!

GO RHODY!!!
7 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts message to Ed Cooley
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago haven't read thread but here are my thoughts:

Fatts the team MVP by a mile. Another superb effort.
Cyril was a beast. I was wrong in other threads we need to replace him for next year.
Jeff played very well in second half. That is who we need for A10 schedule.
Anyone doubting Mehki Long now? That kid can play.
The mekhi poster is licking his lips. Boy did he call Long correctly. The kid played with poise tonight
The guy also said Mekhi could be a starter for us this season. No doubt Long played well but I think most people here thought he had potential and could give us meaningful minutes this year.
4 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I give cox credit for having the guys ready to dice up the zones that were presented. They had to go back to man to man.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

josephski wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago haven't read thread but here are my thoughts:

Fatts the team MVP by a mile. Another superb effort.
Cyril was a beast. I was wrong in other threads we need to replace him for next year.
Jeff played very well in second half. That is who we need for A10 schedule.
Anyone doubting Mehki Long now? That kid can play.
The guy also said Mekhi could be a starter for us this season. No doubt Long played well but I think most people here thought he had potential and could give us meaningful minutes this year.

I remeber most thought he wouldnt play this year and had potential going foward after this year. Personally i didnt know much about him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Cox COACHED HIS ASS OFF TONIGHT. With 7 guys against their 11.

Things are looking UP!

GO RHODY!!!
Cox said in the postgame that he hasn't decided yet on the length of Dana's suspension.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I gotta say Mekhi played great today. He needed to fill in for Tate and did his job with 7 rbs and 9 pts. Same with Toppin who had 5 rbs and 5 pts. Both of those freshmen are fearless. They may be shaky at times but they work their asses off.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Our guards are better than their guards...and it's not close. Cyril is a beast on the backboards. He WANTS the ball. And Just Kenny might be right about Mekhi. He uses those long arms well. It doesn't get much more fun than this. The RC on nights like this is definitely my happy place.
7 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Cox COACHED HIS ASS OFF TONIGHT. With 7 guys against their 11.

Things are looking UP!

GO RHODY!!!
Cox said in the postgame that he hasn't decided yet on the length of Dana's suspension.
Dont make it to long, pending what he is suspended for. I like dana. He is obviously in a funk but he is good 4th 5th or 6th guy going foward.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Things are looking UP!

GO RHODY!!!
Dont make it to long, pending what he is suspended for. I like dana. He is obviously in a funk but he is good 4th 5th or 6th guy going foward.
It is good to see Tate supporting the team tonight. He really looked like a different player coming into this year and was much bigger than last year in terms of body frame. I think the biggest issue he runs into his what position he fits in at. I still think he could be a very solid player that we will need coming off the bench. Hopefully Langevine can get him going in the right direction.
4 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago And 2 fouls on Harris in 56 seconds. Still think no Tate is a good thing?
WTF. Nice start
......it seems he picks up lots of fouls setting screens, moving into position to set screens, wonder how that, if true, is being tracked by staff and corrective actions being taught......?
In Harris's defense. He got a raw deal during this game. Some of the fouls on him weren't fouls....especially the one in the second half where he set a nice pick. He basically pitched a tent, had a picnic, and then waited for the contact...yet still got a foul called on him. It was nuts. He was perfectly still and in great position. Unreal. The guy can't catch a break.
9 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Well - what can you say. The future looks bright - both this year, next year and beyond.

There’s no bigger moment or atmosphere these kids will play in short of a game in March.

Fatts is THE guy. He is going to be the cornerstone of some fun March basketball.

Cyril is a beast. Holy hell.

Mekhi and Toppin. OMG.

The defense looked like exactly what Cox recruits for: long guys who can disrupt passing lanes, block shots, and force transition play.

Masterpiece all around. Freshmen made freshmen mistakes but man oh man for a short bench these guys did a phenomenal job.

F*%K PC.
Pretty much exactly what my thoughts on the game were. Best game I've seen in a long while. Players really stepped up in a big way. Cyril is the guy who set the tone in this game from the beginning. He was battling hard all game & going up strong. Flexing all night.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Despite Harris not recording any stats, he still made his presence felt on defense.
9 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago

WTF. Nice start
......it seems he picks up lots of fouls setting screens, moving into position to set screens, wonder how that, if true, is being tracked by staff and corrective actions being taught......?
In Harris's defense. He got a raw deal during this game. Some of the fouls on him weren't fouls....especially the one in the second half where he set a nice pick. He basically pitched a tent, had a picnic, and then waited for the contact...yet still got a foul called on him. It was nuts. He was perfectly still and in great position. Unreal. The guy can't catch a break.

At this point it’s tough to make excuses for the kid.

We just can’t expect anything from his the rest of the way. Hopefully Walker takes up his minutes.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Ryan Center tonight.
8 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

At this point it’s tough to make excuses for the kid.

We just can’t expect anything from his the rest of the way. Hopefully Walker takes up his minutes.

Nope! 100% disagree with this comment
7 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Things are looking UP!

GO RHODY!!!
I will say even though he was suspended he was definitely cheering hard and into the game and not sitting there sulking.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

WTF. Nice start
In Harris’s defense. He is our best foul shooter and fouler.
3 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I want him to do well and I think it can happen if he stays confident.
2 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Just watched the highlights on news made me recall several backdoor cuts for layups. What a fun game!
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If we can get that same effort out of Toppin and Long we will be strong contenders come conference schedule time. Those 2 were the best part of tonight's game.
If Tate can get it going and Walker can add valuable minutes watch out. Two BIG "ifs" but our tough OOC schedule showed tonight by allowing us to stay focused and keep the pressure on.
Were we ever down again after the first time out when it was 10-4? I honestly can't remember. I think I blacked out.
3 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Any recruits in attendance?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow incredible effort by URI beating the arch rivals 75-61

8052 to the Rysn Center great job guys !!

We out shoot them 16-27 v 6-12 from line and force 22 turnovers

Fatts 24-8-5-3 guy stuffs the stat sheet

Cyril 17 and 16 what a beast we will miss him next year

Tyrese 10 and 6 in 32 minutes steady

JD 8 points in 32 minutes on 4-12 needs to be better he knows it hit couple key baskets though

JH 2 quick fouls early on them battled still needs major work

Long what can u say 9 and 7 and shows major defensive skills

Toppin 5 and 5 in 25 minutes only 1-6 shooting needs improvement but great potential

Tate suspended but on bench cheering so I think he will respond to Cox message nobody is bigger than the team

Cox well coached game

Fatts comment about the rivalry at the end classic

We go 9-3 OOC then 12-6 or 13-5 then we most likely dance
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago If we can get that same effort out of Toppin and Long we will be strong contenders come conference schedule time. Those 2 were the best part of tonight's game.
If Tate can get it going and Walker can add valuable minutes watch out. Two BIG "ifs" but our tough OOC schedule showed tonight by allowing us to stay focused and keep the pressure on.
Were we ever down again after the first time out when it was 10-4? I honestly can't remember. I think I blacked out.
Nope, never down again
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Pipkins 0-4 with 0 points, 2 assists and 3 turnovers. Thanks for stopping by kid.
I wanna petition for another year of eligibility for him.
10 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Pipkins 0-4 with 0 points, 2 assists and 3 turnovers. Thanks for stopping by kid.
:lol:
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago And 2 fouls on Harris in 56 seconds. Still think no Tate is a good thing?
WTF. Nice start
The refs must be looking for it with him, he set a really nice screen and picked up his 3rd foul. Did everything right, and was clearly a BS call.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
:lol:
That’s a great point he is awful

Watson for PC is tough we will miss Cyril next year

Friars look to be in for a long year no post season
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am really, really impressed with Fatts. The box scores are obviously the headline and we would not be nearly the same team without his scoring output, and he’s also moving the ball and even rebounding. But it’s a lot more than that. We’ve always known the kid had stones - he proved it in the biggest games as a freshman on a great team. Last year, just having swagger wasn’t enough, and it may have even hurt him at times because when things weren’t working for him he just pressed on and forced it a lot of times. Toward the end of the season, he really started to find it but this year he’s taken it to another level. For a guy that has been getting 20+ every night, 12 minutes into the game he hadn’t really got going in terms of scoring and instead of hunting shots he was running the offense and battling for two offensive rebounds on one possession that led to a Jeff and-1. Then when the game got tight in the second half after PC got close, he recognized that was the time for him to take over and he did, carrying us over the line. Just couldn’t be more impressed with him right now.

Cyril is an absolute beast. I really love the guy. Huge game from him tonight - scoring, rebounding and also emotional leadership and attitude. Alpha shit from him. When he wasn’t on the floor, we literally could not rebound on the defensive end - if a PC possession didn’t end with a turnover or a rebound getting knocked out of bounds, they just got as many chances as they needed to get a hoop. Without him next year, Watson may go for 40 points and 25 rebounds. We’ll worry about that next year, though.

One thing I think I can say with absolute certainty is that Long and Toppin are absolutely not afraid. It’s the best thing that they bring right now, but the finer skill stuff will come over their time here. For now, their willingness to get their noses in the action and mix it up and impact the game with effort is huge. Their box scores tonight don’t have a ton in common with Fatts’s box from the 2017 game, but what they do have in common is that they showed they absolutely belonged and welcomed the challenge, and we likely wouldn’t have won the game without their efforts.

I believe Carroll had the scout on this game, and his identifying of PC’s vulnerability with respect to their passing at the top of the key was huge thing in us winning the game. Like, without us continually getting in those passing lanes and getting runouts we may not have won. We clearly were ready for their laziness or inability or whatever it was, and we were looking for it and we capitalized on it, over and over again. Had to have been worth nearly 20 points and that’s just on baskets we made and not including baskets they didn’t because they didn’t have the ball anymore.

I continue to feel bad for Harris. I honestly think there is a book out on him among refs and they’re looking for him. I don’t think there is any other way to explain the crazy number of just terrible calls that go against him seemingly every game. Some of it is obviously him and not every call on him is bad, but enough are that it really is strange. He’s never going to what a lot of us hoped or expected he would be, but he serves a role. He did a nice job fronting the post tonight in a game where PC could not shoot from the perimeter at all and we had a lot of trouble stopping them once they got the ball in around the basket. We don’t have anyone else that can do that and it’s an important job in basketball. When he has a 12 point game here or there, it’ll be a bonus but continuing to expect it and get upset when he doesn’t give it to you is a lost cause.

Don’t want to leave out Martin or Dowtin. Both had nice games and made timely buckets - Martin early and Jeff later. They combined for 18 points, which was more than the difference in the final score plus threw in 8 boards for good measure. Solid defense. Seventy combined very necessary minutes.

I sat down on the floor on the baseline for the first time in the Ryan. It was awesome down there. We were on the URI side opposite from the students and just a totally different perspective on the game, obviously, but also the arena as a whole which when filled up like it was tonight looked and sounded just so big-time from down on the floor. Great job showing up and showing out tonight by Rhode Island basketball fans. (As a bonus because I was under the hoop my wife and kids got to see me on TV, which they got a kick out of - unfortunately because my phone turns into a brick as soon as I walk in the building I didn’t know about it until I got back to my car but that’s a small complaint overall.)
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Let’s give Martin a lot of credit keeping us in the game in the first half till FATTS took over. Cyril is the MAN! I’m so freakin impressed with the frosh incredible. Fucken Jeff you hit some big shots when they were needed but you can be a big big star. It just seems like that freakin fallaway freakin lean back is more pronounced than ever. You’re a freakin legend two tourneys two wins go straight up lol or just not as freakin pronounced lean back fallaway as now it was less your frosh soph year. You’re a freakin all a-10 player if you start making shots your fighting FATTS for A-10 player of the year. Then you two are Mobley/Wheeler or Garrick/Silk and we all know what happens then.

GO RHODY!
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tonight was.....satisfying
7 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
Check the home court advantage per KenPom.

Shhh, no one tell Ed.

Rhody.png
Rhody.png (17.21 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
PC.png
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
spookydog wrote: 4 years ago As a reminder, Providence students thought this video was a good idea to get their fellow students ready for the upcoming season...

Unsurprisingly they went 4-14 that year in the Big East

Not only are those doofuses from the mental hospital, but they have that video following them around for the rest of their lives. I almost feel sorry for them.

Of course, I almost have a pound of $100 bills on my desk, too.
“Hey let’s all lip synch to the cheesiest pop song of all time sung on a stupid tv show!” - PEE Cee marketing

Speaking of singing, I think that was one of the best National Anthems ever performed at the Ryan Center this evening.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Had some Friar interactions this evening. Before the game an older gentleman said to me, “you can’t spell ‘urine’ without ‘uri’”. I said, “ah yes and you’re PC”.

Secondly, I had two Fryuh Fanz near me in 206 who proceeded to say the entire evening that Tom Ryan “paid off the refs”. No, your team is not good and lacks the skill set to beat our team.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Had some Friar interactions this evening. Before the game an older gentleman said to me, “you can’t spell ‘urine’ without ‘uri’”. I said, “ah yes and you’re PC”.

Secondly, I had two Fryuh Fanz near me in 206 who proceeded to say the entire evening that Tom Ryan “paid off the refs”. No, your team is not good and lacks the skill set to beat our team.
Come on Pee Cee fans you should be better than that !!!
2 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Full Providence coverage here.

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will say it seems like the Rhody ticket office and fans did a much better job this year than in years past with keeping tickets in the hands of Rhody fans.

On TV it looked 95/5 and I had some people tell me 80/20 at worst.

I’ve seen that place 70/30 some years - so that was another huge W for the program as a whole.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Way too busy celebrating last night to post lol!

The beer always tastes better when we win, especially against these guys!

Well said by all.....all good!
5 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I can’t remember the last time I saw so many well run backdoor plays.

We have a really well coached team. Glad Hurley found a good one.

I was not expecting much from long but what a game and difference maker with the defense.

Even the players who are struggling a bit at times like Martin, Tate, and Harris will all be capable of huge games this year. I said it before, this is a team to get behind. There is potential for a great year.
6 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I will say it seems like the Rhody ticket office and fans did a much better job this year than in years past with keeping tickets in the hands of Rhody fans.

On TV it looked 95/5 and I had some people tell me 80/20 at worst.

I’ve seen that place 70/30 some years - so that was another huge W for the program as a whole.
I was gunna say the same thing. Even during PCs run they werent really audible like in years past
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This team just looks like they are loose and enjoying the game. Even when they loose, I have been enjoying watching them play. They don’t play tight like Hurley’s teams did before they made their tournament run at the end of 2017. Gotta love the freshmen stepping up, that’s huge!!!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Toppin and Long are going to be good. That's the great news.

Hammond I guess just isn't ready...and we didn't need DJ's 3 pt. shooting in this one.

As for JH, he gives us defense, but on offense he's pretty much a non factor.

Really need that big for next season.

Hopefully whatever Tate did wasn't too serious...but Cox hedging on length of suspension makes you wonder.

Anyway, 2 weeks to savor this win, and on to WKU and Walker being eligible!

Hard to say just where PC is going to end up...hopefully this turns out to be a better win ratings wise. But right now, they stink.

NCAA tourney hopes raised for sure.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

P.S. That Friars came over the mountain chant that Red mentioned was always awesome back in the day. Need to bring it back indeed.

Of course Red, Billyboy, and myself are certainly old enough to remember it!

Can replace Friars with whoever we're beating at home too!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Had some Friar interactions this evening. Before the game an older gentleman said to me, “you can’t spell ‘urine’ without ‘uri’”. I said, “ah yes and you’re PC”.

Come on Pee Cee fans you should be better than that !!!
I grew up three blocks from the mental hospital. They are incapable of that.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Wow incredible effort by URI beating the arch rivals 75-61

8052 to the Rysn Center great job guys !!

We out shoot them 16-27 v 6-12 from line and force 22 turnovers

Fatts 24-8-5-3 guy stuffs the stat sheet

Cyril 17 and 16 what a beast we will miss him next year

Tyrese 10 and 6 in 32 minutes steady

JD 8 points in 32 minutes on 4-12 needs to be better he knows it hit couple key baskets though

JH 2 quick fouls early on them battled still needs major work

Long what can u say 9 and 7 and shows major defensive skills

Toppin 5 and 5 in 25 minutes only 1-6 shooting needs improvement but great potential

Tate suspended but on bench cheering so I think he will respond to Cox message nobody is bigger than the team

Cox well coached game

Fatts comment about the rivalry at the end classic

We go 9-3 OOC then 12-6 or 13-5 then we most likely dance
Reef’s longest post ever!
11 x
Slava Ukraini!