PC Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: PC Game

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hope we knock them COMPLETELY off the rails on friday night...
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......RJ, what say you?
Sorry for the delay in response. Baby RJ was born last Thursday and I have already begun to get him primed to join Scout Friars and KeaneyBlue on 11/28/2033.

The frustrations from Cooley come from the fact that on paper this should have been one of his better, deeper teams, but they are performing like one of his worst teams.

That obviously puts the coach and team under heavy fire, and leads to mass judgement on X’s and O’s and style of play.

I’m on the record going as far back as February of 2016 as not like the way PC runs an offense, too much stagnant action, not trying to use athleticism defensively, etc.

Ultimately, when the team wins a tournament game that season, or makes 5 straight tournaments, they are still doing something right and makes it hard to criticize style of play, regardless of how many times it felt they had to sneak in off the bubble.

However, one point that does annoy me are people who say “Cooley only made those tournaments because of the NBE.” I believe maybe he had a slightly easier path, but regardless of conference, to make the tournament you need to best good teams and you need to have nice wins OOC (usually). Being in an easier conference and playing an easier conference schedule does not guarantee a bid.

I digress, but I think now you look at a team of players who are not equally the sum of their parts and it’s creating this sort of anarchy in the fan base. Continuing to try to slam the flex down a roster of athletic players who struggle scoring isn’t working. The team has shown solid pressure defense but coach sees it as a gimmick. He’s trying to run his offense with a roster that just is not capable of operating that offense at a high-level.

And now he’s got a team that many thought could make the 2nd weekend with the right breaks that already has 3-4 bad losses and hasn’t bounced back at all and the coaching has not responded at all to that adversity either. There has been no stylistic changes, no benchings for poor performance, etc.

This team is just off the rails, but if Cooley doesn’t wake up and try to “shake things up” rather than watching this car crash in slow motion, he’s going to start really losing people other than the crazy message board crowd.
Congrats RJ!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RJ! Congrats man! I hope he's as level headed a poster as his dad!
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Congrats RJ! By 2037 with the cost of college, URI will be a great valued education for the little one.
I appreciate your honesty of the friars situation. Not something most fans could do.
Cooley did put Holt in the starting lineup for AJ.
I think Pipkins is more of an issue than some expected. He isn’t a traditional PG which is what the Friars needed. He is a volume shooter. I would sit him and play White 30+ minutes. I did notice White was in down the stretch of the Pepperdine game and Pipkins was on the bench.

Not all of this is on Cooley. Diallo was better as a Soph than he is now. His performance and the impact the injury has had on Watson have been two major issues.

Good luck after Friday’s game.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......RJ, what say you?
Sorry for the delay in response. Baby RJ was born last Thursday and I have already begun to get him primed to join Scout Friars and KeaneyBlue on 11/28/2033.

The frustrations from Cooley come from the fact that on paper this should have been one of his better, deeper teams, but they are performing like one of his worst teams.

That obviously puts the coach and team under heavy fire, and leads to mass judgement on X’s and O’s and style of play.

I’m on the record going as far back as February of 2016 as not like the way PC runs an offense, too much stagnant action, not trying to use athleticism defensively, etc.

Ultimately, when the team wins a tournament game that season, or makes 5 straight tournaments, they are still doing something right and makes it hard to criticize style of play, regardless of how many times it felt they had to sneak in off the bubble.

However, one point that does annoy me are people who say “Cooley only made those tournaments because of the NBE.” I believe maybe he had a slightly easier path, but regardless of conference, to make the tournament you need to best good teams and you need to have nice wins OOC (usually). Being in an easier conference and playing an easier conference schedule does not guarantee a bid.

I digress, but I think now you look at a team of players who are not equally the sum of their parts and it’s creating this sort of anarchy in the fan base. Continuing to try to slam the flex down a roster of athletic players who struggle scoring isn’t working. The team has shown solid pressure defense but coach sees it as a gimmick. He’s trying to run his offense with a roster that just is not capable of operating that offense at a high-level.

And now he’s got a team that many thought could make the 2nd weekend with the right breaks that already has 3-4 bad losses and hasn’t bounced back at all and the coaching has not responded at all to that adversity either. There has been no stylistic changes, no benchings for poor performance, etc.

This team is just off the rails, but if Cooley doesn’t wake up and try to “shake things up” rather than watching this car crash in slow motion, he’s going to start really losing people other than the crazy message board crowd.
Good stuff, RJ. Congrats to you and the family.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Great offer from URI. $90 and they added a game in place of the Alabama games that has passed.
I paid $55 per ticket for the extra tickets I could purchase as a donor.
Rhody ans need to fill the RC. Don’t let Friar fans get these tickets.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Great offer from URI. $90 and they added a game in place of the Alabama games that has passed.
FYI - Alabama was never on the 5 game plan. it was always those games listed.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Great offer from URI. $90 and they added a game in place of the Alabama games that has passed.
FYI - Alabama was never on the 5 game plan. it was always those games listed.
Thanks. I thought it was Alabama.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

includes VCU and SLU...pretty good 5 game set (other than LaSalle)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Congratulations, RJ!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats RJ my fav PC fan
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Congratulations to RJ......your first child? It is the end of the world as you know it......Blessings to you and mom!!!!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CONGRATS RJ !

I have a 8 month old myself...

what a joy !

ENJOY EVERY MINUTE !

Well except when you have to clean up MOAB's ! (Mother of all bombs!)
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Thank you all for the kind words! It is our first son, and we are so overjoyed. Miss the uninterrupted sleep and not watching King of Queens reruns at 4 AM, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

It’s also the amazing aspect of sports that people from different fandoms can embrace life events like this despite fan differences.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Email from the Ryan Center about the game tomorrow says it is “SOLD OUT”. It looks like you can still buy 2 tickets together thru the Ryan Center site if you buy a 5 game package in the mezzanine level (section 312). If you try to get a 5 game package at any other level, it tells you to call the box office.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Doors open at 5:30 tomorrow.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Thank you all for the kind words! It is our first son, and we are so overjoyed. Miss the uninterrupted sleep and not watching King of Queens reruns at 4 AM, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

It’s also the amazing aspect of sports that people from different fandoms can embrace life events like this despite fan differences.
Congrats! Tip that worked for us: Forget your normal sleep pattern. New patter = when the youngster is sleeping...if you possibly can, drop what you are doing and try to sleep also. The more times you can take advantage of that, the better.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Congrats RJ!!!
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago PC has played a cup cake schedule thus far. The teams they have played have been weak - mediocre teams in my opinion. It will not surprise me, if for the first year in a long time, URI actually blows them out at the Ryan Center...although that goes out the window if we get a god awful officiating crew. If we get a crew similar to the one at the Nichols State game, then all bets are off.
Always good to have a built in excuse before the game starts. If we lose it will definitely be a result of bad officiating.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
The Dude wrote: 4 years ago PC has played a cup cake schedule thus far. The teams they have played have been weak - mediocre teams in my opinion. It will not surprise me, if for the first year in a long time, URI actually blows them out at the Ryan Center...although that goes out the window if we get a god awful officiating crew. If we get a crew similar to the one at the Nichols State game, then all bets are off.
Always good to have a built in excuse before the game starts. If we lose it will definitely be a result of bad officiating.
.......decent/good teams find their way around and adapting to whatever officials do or don’t do......no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
.......decent/good teams find their way around and adapting to whatever officials do or don’t do......no?
Except not calling the over the back foul on Bentil 4 years ago was unconscionable and gave the Friars a sure win on a put back instead of OT (at worst if Garrett misses both free throws he should have been awarded). Tough to overcome that non call resulting in the put back at the buzzer.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Except not calling the over the back foul on Bentil 4 years ago was unconscionable and gave the Friars a sure win on a put back instead of OT (at worst if Garrett misses both free throws he should have been awarded). Tough to overcome that non call resulting in the put back at the buzzer.
The famous shove before the shot .......here it is

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/see- ... ame-for-pc
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

I was being facetious. One of my biggest peeves on this board is blaming officiating. In the 5 years (or so) I’ve been coming here, there have been a number of games we’ve lost “due to officiating”. I don’t recall one post in that same time period saying “wow...crappy officiating helped us win that game”.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Will agree that was a critically bad call at a critically bad time of the game. But, it’s a 40 minute game and I would bet my life there were several other bad calls that hurt both teams.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You never want to be in a position at the end of a game to rely on a call...we almost never get them no matter whether we're at home or on the road.

So win by daylight please.
0 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

“Rivalry”
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

gazakaza wrote: 4 years ago

“Rivalry”

I would never want this guy as the Head Coach of URI.

What a mean response to a simple question about rivalry.

Playing this stupid response just increased my blood pressure a bunch
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Whatever you think about Cooley as a coach, good bad or indifferent, he sucks as a guy. Just not a likable person.
2 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

HE is a DOUCHE
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Watching Cooley from far and on tv or in the news made me not really like him and think he wasn't a great guy.

However, I met him and he was very nice. He almost went out of his way to listen and talk to someone he really could have blew off given the circumstances.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I saw Cooley at the airport a couple of weeks ago. I don’t know if he was with family or a player and his family. But he seemed warm and friendly. He’s said douchy things but you can’t judge a guy by that alone.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Babysitting duties for our 6 month old granddaughter force us to miss the game. I’m hoping our absence is a good luck charm.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cooley says a rivalry is someone you play twice a year. Well, we did, for many, many years. Dave Gavitt put an end to that.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Cooley says a rivalry is someone you play twice a year. Well, we did, for many, many years. Dave Gavitt put an end to that.
There are no teams that are not in the same conference that play twice a year it would be ridiculous. Besides most years would probably be a split with no bragging rights for either school. I love this game but I think once a year is the correct way to go.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Cooley says a rivalry is someone you play twice a year. Well, we did, for many, many years. Dave Gavitt put an end to that.
There are no teams that are not in the same conference that play twice a year it would be ridiculous. Besides most years would probably be a split with no bragging rights for either school. I love this game but I think once a year is the correct way to go.
I'm just talking about Gavitt starting the Big East, excluding Rhody, etc. You know the history.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
I'm just talking about Gavitt starting the Big East, excluding Rhody, etc. You know the history.
Yes I do know the history and as it has been stated before if the league was created by someone other then Gavitt there still would have only been one team selected from the state of Rhode Island possibly none.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes I do know the history and as it has been stated before if the league was created by someone other then Gavitt there still would have only been one team selected from the state of Rhode Island possibly none.
And at the time, Rhody was the better program....
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Well depending on who created it maybe it would have been them that was asked. But you surely did not think he was going to have URI a d not PC. He made it pretty clear what he was trying to do getting teams in different media outlets.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Mandatory part of PC head coaching position:
Belittling and insulting Rhody basketball at every opportunity.

I actually like it and always wanted our HC to take the same approach re PC...
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

About cooley’s comment about “ rivalry “ does pee Cee play anyone twice a season and then a conference championship?

I could be wrong but the A10 does common opponents that rhody plays home and away.

Does the big east do the same?

I really don’t know, that’s how much I pay attention to pee Cee and that conference.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodysk wrote: 4 years ago About cooley’s comment about “ rivalry “ does pee Cee play anyone twice a season and then a conference championship?

I could be wrong but the A10 does common opponents that rhody plays home and away.

Does the big east do the same?

I really don’t know, that’s how much I pay attention to pee Cee and that conference.
Yes they have a double round robin
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Well depending on who created it maybe it would have been them that was asked. But you surely did not think he was going to have URI a d not PC. He made it pretty clear what he was trying to do getting teams in different media outlets.
Not disagreeing with your point here. But the exclusivity to media rights is a stupid argument. The ACC, SEC, Pac12, and Big 12 all have teams from the same state, some have several in the same state and one has two teams from the same city. It can be done and be successful.

ACC - Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake are all in North Carolina. UVA and VA Tech in VA.

SEC - Miss State and Ole Miss, Vandy and Tennessee

Pac12 - Arizona and ASU, UCLA and USC (same city) with also Stanford and Cal in state, Oregon and Oregon state, Washington and Wazzu

Big 12 - in the state of Texas alone: texas, Texas tech, baylor and TCU. In Kansas there is KU and K-State. Oklahoma and Oklahoma state.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rivalries are good for conferences. It’s self evident looking at other leagues. Either Gavitt got it wrong or he sacrificed the good of the conference to hurt URI.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Gravitt’s focus was building a dominant league in key television markets and tapping into loads of revenue in the northeast plain an simple. The hard fact is URI brought nothing to the table so we weren’t invited to the party. It sucked and was cold hearted but it was purely a business decision.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody Rhody Rhody.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Thank God we beat their ass.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Rivalries are good for conferences. It’s self evident looking at other leagues. Either Gavitt got it wrong or he sacrificed the good of the conference to hurt URI.
Bingo!
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Officiating wasn't great, but wasn't terrible either. :lol:

Anyway Fatts & Langevine has brass balls. Long came up HUGE on defense. What a game! One hell of a game. This by far has to be the most disciplined performance I have seen from this team.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Section 206 Row C seats 3-6 gave their seats to PC fans
and the douche bag Dad yells let’s go Friars before the tip off. Well I couldn’t let that go. I turn and say it’s going to be a long night and it’s going to get ugly. His wife then starts. Boy did I let them have it all night. Wife said I was mean. Husband should have kept his mouth shut if he didn’t want to someone giving it back to him.
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice job Rhodyhoopz !!!
1 x