Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Jermaine Harris - dramatic improvement?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Unacceptable way to talk about OUR student athletes.
DC, you called someone a female because they didn’t agree with your opinion.

You’re the last person to be judging about what is said on this board.
To a fickle ass fan. And I’d say much worse to his face, at the time.

We are talking about kids that are REPRESENTING OUR UNIVERSITY.
You were clearly very contrite
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago blueman, blueman, blueman, it doesn't matter what your state of mind is when you post something, you said it and all you can do is justify saying it. It's a theme on this board, people can't just be like "my bad, that was an asshole thing to say about a kid." Great look calling a kid a "bag of trash," that's what you say about someone who is a bad person, a person that plays dirty or someone that screws you over, not a kid just trying to sports entertain you and don't waist your time re-explaining how you were speaking of his level of play, you can't fall back on your poor impulse control issues forever, you are responsible for calling a teenager a "bag of trash" because he doesn't entertain you well enough. I am scolding you, yes, who am I to scold you? your brother, I would react with as much vigor in your defense if someone called you a "bag of trash." You should seek to understand why making such a comment is an asshole thing to do, then you should apologize without any caveats attached. My final suggetion for you, grasshopper, is you should seek to understand that when JH doesn't live up to your expectations, that is your issue not his.
well said
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago blueman, blueman, blueman, it doesn't matter what your state of mind is when you post something, you said it and all you can do is justify saying it. It's a theme on this board, people can't just be like "my bad, that was an asshole thing to say about a kid." Great look calling a kid a "bag of trash," that's what you say about someone who is a bad person, a person that plays dirty or someone that screws you over, not a kid just trying to sports entertain you and don't waist your time re-explaining how you were speaking of his level of play, you can't fall back on your poor impulse control issues forever, you are responsible for calling a teenager a "bag of trash" because he doesn't entertain you well enough. I am scolding you, yes, who am I to scold you? your brother, I would react with as much vigor in your defense if someone called you a "bag of trash." You should seek to understand why making such a comment is an asshole thing to do, then you should apologize without any caveats attached. My final suggetion for you, grasshopper, is you should seek to understand that when JH doesn't live up to your expectations, that is your issue not his.
Apologies. I will make sure I only say nice things from now on. I will start now.

Jermaine looked so good today! Everyone who thinks he isn’t living up to expectations is an IDIOT!

Of course he’s going to get it going you MORONS- he’s only 41 games started into his college career, it’s still super early!

I think there’s a ton of good in how he gets lost on defense all the time - he’s just rope-a-doping the offense into a false sense of security that’s going to pay off when they keep going through him!

I’ve seen the light! Hallelujah!
Cool cool, more immature histrionics.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
Apologies. I will make sure I only say nice things from now on. I will start now.

Jermaine looked so good today! Everyone who thinks he isn’t living up to expectations is an IDIOT!

Of course he’s going to get it going you MORONS- he’s only 41 games started into his college career, it’s still super early!

I think there’s a ton of good in how he gets lost on defense all the time - he’s just rope-a-doping the offense into a false sense of security that’s going to pay off when they keep going through him!

I’ve seen the light! Hallelujah!
Cool cool, more immature histrionics.
It’s a message board. On the internet. Dear God. The fact the phrase “bag of trash” has sent a half dozen people to call the morality police is wild.

If there’s any place a fan should be allowed to voice their frustrations it’s on a message board. On the internet.

Apologies for your delicate sensitivities.

I would obviously love nothing more than Jermaine to drop 20 and 10 and rub my face in it Friday. I would be ecstatic if he just went for 6 and 8 with less than 3 missed defensive assignments.

I hope Saturday morning I’m wrong and look like more of an idiot than I am.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Like when you ranted and raved like a lunatic to fire Cox 6 games into his head coaching career?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......for me, trying to adjust to lowering my expectations on Jermaine, not easy and that is on me.......So going forward looks like this, I am going to view Jermaine as a total project, work in progress, my bad on thinking he was coming to URI much more ready, out of the box, to make significant impact in all phases, apparently not the case as we have seen.....thinking now for me feels like this, he was a ‘ let’s take a chance on this kid’. he got size, good free throw stroke, good kid, and maybe will develop into a decent A-10 big man, even if we are converting his position to post......looking at him now through this lens gives a different perspective of his floor game and stats.......maybe with Walker and Harris we can collectively get a serviceable-10 post......now a project player, with an unproven player with.......get ready for it, rust....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s always a struggle to manage expectations and frustration. I’ll always preach patience for young players, especially bigs, and we see that playing out across the roster and on other teams. At the same time, there are also freshmen who are excelling and second-year players who have taken significant jumps in their development on other rosters. This team desperately needs at least one of those things to happen.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Harris doesn't improve a LOT by next season, we've got even bigger problems inside.

Help is needed either a transfer or 5th year...….nothing we don't know of course.

JH will get better, but I doubt he'll be good enough to adequately fill the void.

We need a back to the basket big...and JH isn't that.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Like I've said, he plays hard so I'm not going to criticize him. When he makes mistakes, the coaching staff needs to work with him to correct them. If he continues to make the same mistakes after the staff has worked with him to correct them, he needs to sit.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When Walker becomes available, he can replace JH, that is, if HE's good enough. Until then, who we got?

Only one more game to wait.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Like when you ranted and raved like a lunatic to fire Cox 6 games into his head coaching career?
Ranting and raving like a lunatic based on non-expert, short-sighted, frustrated, and incomplete fanboy analysis to short and incomplete data sets with hot takes that would burn the sun is kind of my thing. It’s part of my endearing charm. You new?

This is a message board. Are you coming here for measured, well-tempered, expert analysis?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Like when you ranted and raved like a lunatic to fire Cox 6 games into his head coaching career?
Ranting and raving like a lunatic based on non-expert, short-sighted, frustrated, and incomplete fanboy analysis to short and incomplete data sets with hot takes that would burn the sun is kind of my thing. It’s part of my endearing charm. You new?

This is a message board. Are you coming here for measured, well-tempered, expert analysis?
I think there's a pretty wide gulf between wide-eyed optimism, and calling players trash, that you could safely inhabit. I think that's why the reaction was so swift and strong.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Harris is a bag of trash. Period. 1 TO. 2 missed defensive assignments. Missed layup. Missed shot.

Gtfo. He’s a -10 by himself 3 mins into the game.
Blue Man has been supporting OUR student athletes since the day he was born. If you guys don't understand that he's just talking about Jermaine's game and not attacking him personally I don't know what to tell you.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Harris is a bag of trash. Period. 1 TO. 2 missed defensive assignments. Missed layup. Missed shot.

Blue Man has been supporting OUR student athletes since the day he was born. If you guys don't understand that he's just talking about Jermaine's game and not attacking him personally I don't know what to tell you.
You quoted his exact sentiment. It didn’t say “he’s playing like trash”, he called a student athlete “trash”. HUGE DIFFERENCE. And I like Blue Man, but I will also call a spade a spade, as some of you did when I said something derogatory about a fellow poster.

I’ve had my missteps here, but talking to a another adult I don’t particularly care for, versus, taking a childish shot at a Player I care more for, just rubs me the wrong way, personally.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You quoted his exact sentiment. It didn’t say “he’s playing like trash”, he called a student athlete “trash”. HUGE DIFFERENCE. And I like Blue Man, but I will also call a spade a spade, as some of you did when I said something derogatory about a fellow poster.

I’ve had my missteps here, but talking to a another adult I don’t particularly care for, versus, taking a childish shot at a Player I care more for, just rubs me the wrong way, personally.
I will make sure I never use hyperbole again on an internet message board about a college basketball team. I seriously didn't realize that people weren't able to separate that.

If we can't "take shots" and "call a spade a spade" when it comes to the on-court performance of a college basketball team, on the fan-run, fan-focused, internet message board of said college basketball team...where are we "allowed" to?

I'm happy you capitalized OUR when wagging your finger at me. I'm happy you feel a part of this community, and you're a valuable poster with more inside knowledge than most and I do truly value your insights and our back-and-forths.

But for someone who's ties to this program are more pieces who may not be here in a few years rather than the institution and program itself - not sure the finger waving carries weight with me. I learned to walk in Keaney Gym. I can count the amount of games in the state of RI I've missed since 3 years old on my fingers and toes.I will be a fan of this PROGRAM long after you are no longer posting here and your friends and ties have left. I'll still be in my seats losing my voice long after that as well, win or lose.

So sorry if the phrase "bag of trash" came out in the midst of a stretch where the 3rd highest rated recruit in the last 2 decades, in his second year of full time starting, on the team and program I've cared about since I couldn't even form these long, run-on paragraphs of nothingness you have the pleasure of reading - directly cost us 10 points 5 minutes into a game we ended up losing by single digits. It was frustrating.

Anyone who can release their frustrations in a way other than aggravated posting on an internet message board viewed by under a thousand people is a better man than me. Congrats.

Anyone who thinks that me posting that he's playing like a bag of trash means that I'm not rooting for him to turn it around and make me look like an idiot isn't paying attention.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I will make sure I never use hyperbole again on an internet message board about a college basketball team. I seriously didn't realize that people weren't able to separate that.

If we can't "take shots" and "call a spade a spade" when it comes to the on-court performance of a college basketball team, on the fan-run, fan-focused, internet message board of said college basketball team...where are we "allowed" to?

I'm happy you capitalized OUR when wagging your finger at me. I'm happy you feel a part of this community, and you're a valuable poster with more inside knowledge than most and I do truly value your insights and our back-and-forths.

But for someone who's ties to this program are more pieces who may not be here in a few years rather than the institution and program itself - not sure the finger waving carries weight with me. I learned to walk in Keaney Gym. I can count the amount of games in the state of RI I've missed since 3 years old on my fingers and toes.I will be a fan of this PROGRAM long after you are no longer posting here and your friends and ties have left. I'll still be in my seats losing my voice long after that as well, win or lose.

So sorry if the phrase "bag of trash" came out in the midst of a stretch where the 3rd highest rated recruit in the last 2 decades, in his second year of full time starting, on the team and program I've cared about since I couldn't even form these long, run-on paragraphs of nothingness you have the pleasure of reading - directly cost us 10 points 5 minutes into a game we ended up losing by single digits. It was frustrating.

Anyone who can release their frustrations in a way other than aggravated posting on an internet message board viewed by under a thousand people is a better man than me. Congrats.

Anyone who thinks that me posting that he's playing like a bag of trash means that I'm not rooting for him to turn it around and make me look like an idiot isn't paying attention.

hear hear

great post

Go Rhody
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I'm frustrated with you blueman, you don't see me calling you a "bag of trash"

You want to play the I've been a fan since yadda yadda eh? Talk to me.

We do get your shtick, its old and lame, your "hot takes" are just generally mean now-a-days. I'd like to continue thinking of you as a very intense fan, but you're making that increasingly difficult. Thank the word you're just some unhinged fanboy and don't have anything to do with anything. You're smart enough to understand the difference in what you posted and what you claim you intended. If you can't just humble yourself and admit that kind of post is inflammatory, unnecessary and comes across as mean spirited then please just go back to crazy rally posts and running around the Ryan all decked out in blue, I could respect that blueman.

When posters bring legit commentary to the table other posters have a chance to debate, when they drop insults directed at our own players it only serves to divide people towards extremes. No one is talking about 1st amendment, internet freedom to make asses of ourselves, but you blue. We are talking about your mean spirit offending our own sense of decency. You are posting mostly to your Keaney Kin, but not exclusively, it is a public forum, it's not the same as watching a game with your buddies and expressing frustrations.
7 x
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I'm frustrated with you blueman, you don't see me calling you a "bag of trash"

We do get your shtick, its old and lame, your "hot takes" are just generally mean now-a-days. I'd like to continue thinking of you as a very intense fan, but you're making that increasingly difficult. Thank the word you're just some unhinged fanboy and don't have anything to do with anything. You're smart enough to understand the difference in what you posted and what you claim you intended. If you can't just humble yourself and admit that kind of post is inflammatory, unnecessary and comes across as mean spirited then please just go back to crazy rally posts and running around the Ryan all decked out in blue, I could respect that blueman.

When posters bring legit commentary to the table other posters have a chance to debate, when they drop insults directed at our own players it only serves to divide people towards extremes. No one is talking about 1st amendment, internet freedom to make asses of ourselves, but you blue. We are talking about your mean spirit offending our own sense of decency. You are posting mostly to your Keaney Kin, but not exclusively, it is a public forum, it's not the same as watching a game with your buddies and expressing frustrations.
Running Ram for PREZ!
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

There is an expression that explains my thoughts on the occasional reactionary negative commentary by some of the fans. "With friends like you they do not need any enemies."
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

1. These are college athletes, they are not getting paid. That alone should impact how one displays their fanhood.
2. This is a public forum. Saying its the internet so you can just say whatever you want is ridiculous. While players likely aren't reading this you have no idea if parents, coaches or relatives are.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago 1. These are college athletes, they are not getting paid. That alone should impact how one displays their fanhood.
2. This is a public forum. Saying its the internet so you can just say whatever you want is ridiculous. While players likely aren't reading this you have no idea if parents, coaches or relatives are.
I personally know quite a few parents/guardians, coaches, relatives and handlers, that read ALL of this. They will literally search the forum by name.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

DC, you called someone a female because they didn’t agree with your opinion.

You’re the last person to be judging about what is said on this board.
Rhody15 for Prez!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Going off the rails on a crazy train....
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago 1. These are college athletes, they are not getting paid. That alone should impact how one displays their fanhood.
I personally know quite a few parents/guardians, coaches, relatives and handlers, that read ALL of this. They will literally search the forum by name.
........OK if I add officials to this list.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Of course blueman was wrong to say he was a bag of trash. It was a little too far.

YET

Nobody in their right mind would ever think that would ever be an attack on JH as a person.

Theres like ZERO message boards where people dont say mean things about a players play.

Almost every single one of us has done it on here. Worse than what blueman said.

Probably hurts worse because it's not exactly untrue.

At this point, Jermaine is the victim of having been overrated coming out of high school.

His game is a lot further away from being where they thought it would be, than apparently anybody realized.

Then again, if you come to a school that takes a sport as seriously URI takes basketball and you're suppose to be good and you come in and ROYALLY stink it up. Ya deserve some ridicule. Especially after you stink it up for a long time. Or the entire time.

I for one try to not be too harsh anymore because I know players, parents, friends etc, read this board, but if they wanna be appalled at what they read here, they might as well never look at a single message board elsewhere because it's not gonna be much different.

In the heat of battle people will say mean stuff.

They will also say very nice stuff.

WHEN Jermaine gets it going, people are going to say just so many nice things. Jermaine will be a happy boy and we will be happy idiot fans.

Too be frank. People are overreacting to this. This has been virtue signaling deluxe.

Blue man has explained himself sufficiently in my eyes. He knows it's wrong and explained it was in the heat of the moment.

There are other posters on here (RHODY 15) Who were waaaaaay worse towards Nicola Akele and didnt get shit on like this.

All that being said.

There sure have been some incredible arguments on here over the years. I've never seen people get torn to shreds quite like they have on this board in arguments and personal attacks. It's pretty remarkable sometimes.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Need a separate thread for "how people should write about people on an internet message board".... that way, those that don't care about poster critiques of other posters...can just skip on by?
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not a wise thing to do. They should learn quickly that people put negative post on the internet much more than positive comments.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Not a wise thing to do. They should learn quickly that people put negative post on the internet much more than positive comments.
Try telling them that. They care about the perception of their child/family member. Any of you raised any semi high profile athletes?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I'm frustrated with you blueman, you don't see me calling you a "bag of trash"

You could call me a bag of trash. It wouldn't offend me. It's a post on an internet message board. Considering you only know me as an internet poster, it would be absurd for me to think you were personally attacking me. I would assume you were using hyperbole and referring to my online posts and opinions.

Even if you were specifically saying I was a bag of trash on the most personal level - I wouldn't get offended either. Getting offended by anything you read is ridiculous. We're on an internet message board for fans of a traditionally disappointing mid-major basketball program. It's OK to point that out and still be a fan.

I can't believe the response I'm getting from a handful of woke warriors for my thoughts on the ON THE COURT play of a basketball player. It's not an insult if you're critiquing on-the-court play. Does anyone really think that I was insulting JH as a person? Have I ever insulted the character of any player here? Or are you just trying to play up the faux-outrage card that's become so popular today?

110% of my posts either complain about or cheer for on-the-court happenings. It goes without saying that I understand the high character of who we bring into URI. I'm a 2nd generation alum for chrissakes. I shouldn't have to post every critique with an asterisk that explains that.

Do we really need to have a debate if a -10 point rating when a player is on the court for 5 minutes is a good or bad thing? We could - considering the main reason we post here is to debate and share opinions on basketball. If we do, then you're extremely lacking in basketball knowledge. If we don't, then you're being intentionally obtuse to try and play up some weird angle of my mean-spirited "shtick."

Discussions about play on the court is pretty much what I thought we were doing here on this board. Harris is a ridiculously important piece of this team's success if we want to have any. He's an insanely high ranked recruit for this school. I am struggling in recent memory to think of anyone besides Terrell (as a recruit, Stan and KI not withstanding) as highly touted as Jermaine to come in here. I believe when he signed 2 years ago, a lot of us had this team as a LOCK for the second weekend in 2020 - with #0 being a huge reason why.

The fact that the morality police special forces unit has rolled out because they don't like the phrasing of how I described the objectively TERRIBLE on court play of someone we thought to be the keystone of a potentially historic URI team is pathetic.

Congrats on your woke points I guess.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’ll leave it like this. Blue, you are a fixture at games. You often find your way around staff and players families on game day. They know you. You may even smile in their face, knowing full well, you just jumped off the Internet after calling someone they care for “trash”.

I’m not even saying you are wrong for feeling the way you feel. But why don’t you mosey on down to the floor after the PC game and tell Jermaine or someone from his family what you think of him or his play.

That doesn’t just go for you either, but you are arguably the most prominent, “fan” on this message board and in the arena.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I’ll leave it like this. Blue, you are a fixture at games. You often find your way around staff and players families on game day. They know you. You may even smile in their face, knowing full well, you just jumped off the Internet after calling someone they care for “trash”.

I’m not even saying you are wrong for feeling the way you feel. But why don’t you mosey on down to the floor after the PC game and tell Jermaine or someone from his family what you think of him or his play?
You think none of us has never told a player he played like shit before? You're out of your mind.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I’ll leave it like this. Blue, you are a fixture at games. You often find your way around staff and players families on game day. They know you. You may even smile in their face, knowing full well, you just jumped off the Internet after calling someone they care for “trash”.

I’m not even saying you are wrong for feeling the way you feel. But why don’t you mosey on down to the floor after the PC game and tell Jermaine or someone from his family what you think of him or his play?
You think none of us has never told a player he played like shit before? You're out of your mind.
I’m saying you have never called a player “TRASH” to his face. That’s what I’m saying.

Playing like trash and being called trash are two very different things.

But I digress, I apologize for even caring what anyone else thinks. It really means nothing at the end of the day.

Carry on.

Seriously, my bad.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think he is showing signs of improvement and I believe it will continue.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I’m saying you have never called a player “TRASH” to his face. That’s what I’m saying.

Playing like trash and being called trash are two very different things.

But I digress, I apologize for even caring what anyone else thinks. It really means nothing at the end of the day.

Carry on.

Seriously, my bad.
It seriously is your bad. I don't know of anyone on this board that would deem ill will on a person suited up in Keaney Blue. Not one. Well except for the friar fans. You and many others misinterpreted, as you often do, the intent of the poster's comment. Maybe you should actually meet the posters you have issues with to get to know them so you have a better, personal relationship rather than be a poster board hero. I'll buy you a beer at the pc game if you want. PM me.
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Regardless of what harris has done or hasnt done. The addition of walker will help shrink some of tates and harris minutes. Shortening the role for them two might help them a little too. Be able to give maximum effort in shorter bursts in a smaller defined role while still trying to gain consistent confidence. As opposed to playing elongated minutes and getting gassed from lack of depth especially when they are still trying to prove themselves and find their footing.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I for one don't believe for a minute that Blue Man meant to personally insult Jermaine.

He was just describing his play, in his particularly unique vernacular.

Harsh yes, wrong choice of words I guess, but that's all it was.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Regardless of what harris has done or hasnt done. The addition of walker will help shrink some of tates and harris minutes. Shortening the role for them two might help them a little too. Be able to give maximum effort in shorter bursts in a smaller defined role while still trying to gain consistent confidence. As opposed to playing elongated minutes and getting gassed from lack of depth especially when they are still trying to prove themselves and find their footing.
Just curious...how much have you seen him play?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Most of his freshman year at gtown and have watched some high school games.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

People who have seen him practice, and know the game, say this...he will immediately be a 3rd true interior player, that is strong and athletic enough to play good defense, grab rebounds, and get some garbage points. That 3rd big has been desperately needed in games against LSU and WVU. When either Cyril or Jermaine were on bench we got absolutely murdered on the offensive glass. At the bare minimum he will be an addition in addressing that need. I am not counting on him for 1 basket, and honestly scoring is not our issue right now. If Fatts, Jeff, Cyril and Tyrese play to their potential we have enough scoring. We need more bigs, more fouls to give, more rebounds, more interior defense. Walker will 100% help in that regard.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Of course blueman was wrong to say he was a bag of trash. It was a little too far.

YET

Nobody in their right mind would ever think that would ever be an attack on JH as a person.

Theres like ZERO message boards where people dont say mean things about a players play.

Almost every single one of us has done it on here. Worse than what blueman said.

Probably hurts worse because it's not exactly untrue.

At this point, Jermaine is the victim of having been overrated coming out of high school.

His game is a lot further away from being where they thought it would be, than apparently anybody realized.

Then again, if you come to a school that takes a sport as seriously URI takes basketball and you're suppose to be good and you come in and ROYALLY stink it up. Ya deserve some ridicule. Especially after you stink it up for a long time. Or the entire time.

I for one try to not be too harsh anymore because I know players, parents, friends etc, read this board, but if they wanna be appalled at what they read here, they might as well never look at a single message board elsewhere because it's not gonna be much different.

In the heat of battle people will say mean stuff.

They will also say very nice stuff.

WHEN Jermaine gets it going, people are going to say just so many nice things. Jermaine will be a happy boy and we will be happy idiot fans.

Too be frank. People are overreacting to this. This has been virtue signaling deluxe.

Blue man has explained himself sufficiently in my eyes. He knows it's wrong and explained it was in the heat of the moment.

There are other posters on here (RHODY 15) Who were waaaaaay worse towards Nicola Akele and didnt get shit on like this.

All that being said.

There sure have been some incredible arguments on here over the years. I've never seen people get torn to shreds quite like they have on this board in arguments and personal attacks. It's pretty remarkable sometimes.

You bet your bottom dollar I was hard on Akele, justifiable so in my opinion. Still stand by everything I said about him too!

Harris is approaching that level of criticism for me now. if you’re a Top 80 recruit in the country with offers from Kansas, Xavier, Maryland, WVU, and Miami, big things should be expected. Maybe not every game, but we’re still waiting on that “coming out party” from Jermaine.
3 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Wow - it’s a message board and we are allowed to have opinions - I am w blue man on this one - nothing wrong with calling you like you see it - it’s refreshing

Listen - I called it like I saw it last year - doesn’t mean I was right about my opinions - but it was how I felt - albeit mostly out of frustration - I think if a player is honest with himself - for example JH - then I think he would even agree - if I was that player, I would use it as
Motivation and prove everyone wrong

It’s obvious to me that FATTS did that after last years subpar season and we are now seeing his hard work pay off big time

I don’t know blue man - I used to admire him years ago running around the court - and wish I was like
Him

I see his passion and I appreciate that he is a loyal and supportive fan

The guy bleeds keaney blue - we need more fans like
Blue man

That’s my two cents

I had to chime in - out of respect
For blue man

PEACE

Now let’s bond together and get us back
To winning
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Who do we got next on the schedule ?.. the wolverines ?
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Who do we got next on the schedule ?.. the wolverines ?
.......probably not ever, including if Santa Cooley had gotten the job.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

ECR wants bonding time so...

blueman, you and I met, after the Nebraska win at the Mews, I was psyched to meet you, one of Rhody's biggest fans, I explained your legend to my friends. It felt like new years eve or something, just about everyone in the place was on cloud nine. I'll always be fond of you, even though you like to make an ass-hat of yourself

PEACE
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I’m not even saying you are wrong for feeling the way you feel. But why don’t you mosey on down to the floor after the PC game and tell Jermaine or someone from his family what you think of him or his play.

That doesn’t just go for you either, but you are arguably the most prominent, “fan” on this message board and in the arena.
We will never see eye-to-eye on the "trash" insult about a player's play on the court. I don't see it as slapping any different than bad, disappointing, or anything else. It's a euphemism. I cannot fathom how this has stirred up this much. I will try to be a little more delicate in my vernacular choice when describing head-scratchingly bad play moving forward.

To personally go up to a player and call them trash sounds wildly uncouth, unproductive, and crossing so many lines I can't even count. There is no more false-equivalency than comparing what is being said about the on-court play of a player on a message board versus personally insulting them or their family in person.

I've been pretty clear in all these posts for those reading. I like Jermaine as a representative of this team and university as a person...as I do every single player who puts on a URI uniform - or any alum who goes to URI. That goes without saying. That shouldn't have to be something put into text as a disclaimer when we're talking about basketball. If there's an open job and a URI alum vying for it, I'd be pushing for them to be hired. That's what happens when you are the fan of a program and university - not just a few choice players/staff members you have ties to at this point in time. They're a part of your family. It's INSANE that this needs to be brought up on a basketball message board.

I am rooting for Jermaine to succeed. I want Jermaine to succeed. I want this whole team to be good. WTF are we even talking about here?

Jermaine has been a disappointment relative to his rankings thus far. That's a fact. I'm sure he would say that too. This thread is about Jermaine Harris and his improvement (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). Jermaine has not improved (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear) at the rate many of us thought he would. It's disappointing and frustrating for all involved.

Since we are fans, and not good at playing basketball, and not tied into the practices or training rooms - we can't affect his improvement (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). So we bitch and complain in a place literally built for bitching and complaining (about his play as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear).

I am not saying Jermaine won't improve either (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). I think he will tbh. It's just a long road for D-1 bigs to get it going, and I personally thought that a 4 star ranking would've got it together by now (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). A few others agreed.

TL;DR - I am rooting for Jermaine. We all are. I think he will improve. We need him to play up to his ranking if we want to be good. He was very bad last game.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We will never see eye-to-eye on the "trash" insult about a player's play on the court. I don't see it as slapping any different than bad, disappointing, or anything else. It's a euphemism. I cannot fathom how this has stirred up this much. I will try to be a little more delicate in my vernacular choice when describing head-scratchingly bad play moving forward.

To personally go up to a player and call them trash sounds wildly uncouth, unproductive, and crossing so many lines I can't even count. There is no more false-equivalency than comparing what is being said about the on-court play of a player on a message board versus personally insulting them or their family in person.

I've been pretty clear in all these posts for those reading. I like Jermaine as a representative of this team and university as a person...as I do every single player who puts on a URI uniform - or any alum who goes to URI. That goes without saying. That shouldn't have to be something put into text as a disclaimer when we're talking about basketball. If there's an open job and a URI alum vying for it, I'd be pushing for them to be hired. That's what happens when you are the fan of a program and university - not just a few choice players/staff members you have ties to at this point in time. They're a part of your family. It's INSANE that this needs to be brought up on a basketball message board.

I am rooting for Jermaine to succeed. I want Jermaine to succeed. I want this whole team to be good. WTF are we even talking about here?

Jermaine has been a disappointment relative to his rankings thus far. That's a fact. I'm sure he would say that too. This thread is about Jermaine Harris and his improvement (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). Jermaine has not improved (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear) at the rate many of us thought he would. It's disappointing and frustrating for all involved.

Since we are fans, and not good at playing basketball, and not tied into the practices or training rooms - we can't affect his improvement (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). So we bitch and complain in a place literally built for bitching and complaining (about his play as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear).

I am not saying Jermaine won't improve either (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). I think he will tbh. It's just a long road for D-1 bigs to get it going, and I personally thought that a 4 star ranking would've got it together by now (as a basketball player, not as a person, just so we are clear). A few others agreed.

TL;DR - I am rooting for Jermaine. We all are. I think he will improve. We need him to play up to his ranking if we want to be good. He was very bad last game.
I understand man. We’re good. I won’t read as deeply into the emotional reactions next time (even though I don’t like/agree with it), you are however, entitled to say/express how you feel, whenever you want.

I know how big a fan you are, although you and I are on two different extremes of the spectrum, (hardcore vs. blind optimist), we both serve and support the same team at the end of the day. Fans are stronger together, than they are apart. Cliché, I know.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I understand man. We’re good. I won’t read as deeply into the emotional reactions next time (even though I don’t like/agree with it), you are however, entitled to say/express how you feel, whenever you want.

I know how big a fan you are, although you and I are on two different extremes of the spectrum, (hardcore vs. blind optimist), we both serve and support the same team at the end of the day. Fans are stronger together, than they are apart. Cliché, I know.
Amen. Context is king. I probably owe you a beer in the alumni lounge. You should try sitting next to me in a tight game, it's probably worse. Ask Neil or the Rhody Girls or Dude or MichSt or ATP or Pete or anyone else in 205. It's an adventure in self-loathing. I promise it comes from a good place. It just doesn't look good in the midst of it.

Go Rhody.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

You people all need a life!!!
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Cleary most of us are disappointed that Harris is not further along in his development. That said, we are only 8 games into his sophomore season, and we need him. Not only do we need him this year, but next year and the year after that. Don't be surprised if he has a good Junior year and a great Senior year. He'll be getting a lot of love from us then. Keep working hard Jermaine, we are pulling for you.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago Cleary most of us are disappointed that Harris is not further along in his development. That said, we are only 8 games into his sophomore season, and we need him. Not only do we need him this year, but next year and the year after that. Don't be surprised if he has a good Junior year and a great Senior year. He'll be getting a lot of love from us then. Keep working hard Jermaine, we are pulling for you.
In the PC-URI Game 2 years ago Langevine played 8 minutes, 0-4 FG, no points, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls. Now SR Year Langevine is Preseason 1st Team A10, Preseason All Defensive Team (was All Defensive Team JR Year).
Point is Big Men take longer to adjust and to develop.

Harris has taken considerable criticism here, and Langevine gets his share too.

Some criticisms that I question:
  • Not Hustling - I’ve rarely seen Harris not hustling. He moves quickly trying to get in position on offense. We don’t pass the ball inside much to Langevine or to Harris. Not sure why but we don’t. Versus West Virginia twice Fatts found Harris ahead of the pack on 3/4 Court breakaway passes. Harris is quick for a man his size.
  • Should not be taking 3 Point Shot because he is a bad shooter - At Coaches Show David Cox said he wants Harris taking the 3 Point Shots and is encouraging him to do so. Sure percentages are not in his favor yet but have to believe Cox knows what he’s talking about
  • Not rebounding tough - vs West Virginia Harris led URI in offensive rebounds with 3, Toppin 2, Langevine 1. Harris led URI at half with 6 to Langevine’s 4.
  • Harris is not what we were told he would be - I think it’s too early to judge a big man. Look where Langevine was at the PC game of his Sophomore Year. David Cox continues to start Jermaine. The bench coaches appear to be encouraged by his play, certainly not showing the discouragement that is present among several posters here
  • He gets too many fouls and is fouling too far from the basket - all true. Coaches seem to be reigning him in and he is not doing the silly fouls out by the 3 point line as much. He had a game with 0 fouls and then people complained that he didn’t foul enough. Can’t make this up.
That said, do I think he has room for improvement? Most definitely but I am encouraged by what I have seen this year. He is a good shooter for a 6’9” player, he is getting stronger and improving his defense and rebounding.

Langevine got a ton of criticism and has developed into a potential 1st Team A10 Big Man. Can Harris? I think so, I hope so, I believe so. Give him time.

Go Rhody.
5 x