Ty Weeks Jr.?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Brian Forster
ARD

Ty Weeks Jr.?

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Ty Weeks Jr. looks like pretty good player.
Went to HS in RI?
Did Rhody recruit him?
Anyone know the back story?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Ty Weeks Jr.?

Unread post by ramster »

We did not recruit TJ
His father, Tyrone Weeks, was an excellent player for UMASS. His father also was an assistant coach at URI
TJ played for 2 years at Pilgrim High School then went to Hendricken for his last two years.
TJ went to Woodstock Academy for a Prep Year. Preston Santos played with TJ at Hendricken and then at Woodstock Academy. Both chose UMASS. TJ is a 6’4” SG and excels at rebounding too.

TJ entered the starting line up for the first time for UMASS with today’s game vs Rutgers.

TJ made the most of his first career start vs Rutgers with a game high 19 points, 7 rebounds, 4-6 on 3Ps in 30 minutes.

TJ is now 26-48 on 3Ps for 54.2% through 8 games. He leads the A10 in 3P shooting percentage.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

;) ;) ......why can’t we get players like that.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

His father was a monster — 6-7 (listed), 270 pounds. Not much offensively, but he could defend and rebound.

Now I’ll go take my Geritol.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We aren't doing a good job identifying shooters when it comes to recruiting.

Or maybe so with Sheppard, but he can't play.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago We aren't doing a good job identifying shooters when it comes to recruiting.

.......I think we have ID/d shooters on the recruiting trail, but then the bright lights of Kingston kinda blinds them......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago We aren't doing a good job identifying shooters when it comes to recruiting.

Before making blind statements, go look at their HS stats.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

As mentioned a bunch in general recruiting thread and the UMass recruiting thread - Weeks' prep coach was hired by UMass, and he and two other players the guy coached are now also on UMass. This seems absolutely kosher, is in no way suspicious, and probably best for all of their development, and it doesn't benefit the coach at all. #sarcasm
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

DC that's fine, but what happens when they come here?

Do we have a player development issue? Just asking.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Thanks for the bio reminder,let me rephrase question:
Is there a backstory as to why Rhody did not recruit him?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Thanks for the bio reminder,let me rephrase question:
Is there a backstory as to why Rhody did not recruit him?
No
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

DC that's fine, but what happens when they come here?

Do we have a player development issue? Just asking.
I can’t answer that question, but I can assure you, the staff doesn’t change anyone’s shot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When I saw Weeks play in high school, he either played center or power forward. I didn't even know he could shoot from the outside.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Man,it's always unexplainable to see a RI kid go somewhere else and do well when Rams did not want them.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obi Toppin [not a RI kid] wanted to come here, but didn't because the staff [Dan] knew he wouldn't qualify academically his 1st year.

I don't think it was because he couldn't get into school at all.

You wonder...did they see his potential? Man, it would have been worth it to wait on him a year...of course hindsight is always 20-20.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

In a lot of cases (Weeks?) both football and basketball -it appears to be a lack of interest on the program's part?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Man,it's always unexplainable to see a RI kid go somewhere else and do well when Rams did not want them.
His father played for UMass and his Prep coach got hired as an Ast at UMass this year to recruit players from his Prep team. What males you think Weeks would have ever picked URI over UMass?
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Obi Toppin [not a RI kid] wanted to come here, but didn't because the staff [Dan] knew he wouldn't qualify academically his 1st year.

I don't think it was because he couldn't get into school at all.

You wonder...did they see his potential? Man, it would have been worth it to wait on him a year...of course hindsight is always 20-20.
I believe URI/Dan recruited Obi when he was in high school when he was 6’5”. After URI passed due to academic concerns he did a PG year at Brewster and then sat out a year at Dayton because he was academically ineligible. So it was two years. Oh, and he grew 4 inches in those two years.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Weeks Sr. didn't leave URI on the best of terms during the Baron regime. I believe he was demoted from Assistant to Director of Basketball Operations which was essentially firing him without firing him. Now I know that there is nobody at URI leftover from the CFL era, but that couldn't have been a positive in Weeks Sr. mind.

Add that to the fact Weeks Sr. went to Final Four as a player with UMASS and the prep assistant getting hired at UMASS, I think URI was smart by not wasting a whole of time trying to recruit Weeks Jr.
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.