2019-20 Women's Basketball

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Women's Basketball

Unread post by ramster »

URI defeats Hartford 68-56
Jorgensen with 13 rebounds, 23 points and 13-13 free throw

0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

A few thoughts:

1. The Hartford announcers were completely terrible. Said that URI was opening the season on a three game road trip, and then said they defeated Hofstra on Tuesday. Play "Boston" next.
1b. Kept calling Marta Vargas "Marcia".
1c. At various points, called Davida Dale "Jones", and "Moffit".
1d. Jorgensen spreads the floor apparently.

2. The four biggest changes I've seen in these two games are:
*Vargas is bringing the ball up, and setting the pace with confidence
*Dale is playing more under control and playing less hero ball
*Erin Jones moves well without the ball, made a couple of really good passes
*They are running actually offensive sets, and look like they actually enjoy playing with each other

3. The biggest negatives are:
*Vargas is terrible defensively
*In both games, they seemed to tire in the second half and got sloppy and lazy defensively
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nicole Jorgensen A10 Player of the Week

https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/201 ... 1111ls56u2
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

At North Dakota Friday 12pm Start Time

https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/201 ... 1113iptzcc
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago At North Dakota Friday

https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/201 ... 1113iptzcc
In case anyone wants to watch while at work, there is a Live Feed of the game here
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

easy Ed had some good observations especially #3. Sets they are running are night and day from last year and guards seem under control and getting ball to Jorgensen. Keep in mind we played two fairly weak teams from weaker conferences so we haven’t been tested yet. Want to see what happens when we see size and speed from an opponent. I agree with Ed we don’t look in the best of shape going into second halves. Perimeter defense might be an issue like last year and coach has to do a better job with her sub patterns to keep people fresh. There’s nobody in that start five that can log over 25 min and be effective. Bench has to contribute and be a factor, will definitely going to need them for conference play. We are 1 or 2 injuries away from disaster. Next year shouldn’t be an issue with depth. There are some big girls waiting in the wings. Want to see where our turnover ratio is after 10 games. Definitely see improvement but two wins against soft teams does not a season make.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did we beat North Dakota ??
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Did we beat North Dakota ??
No lost by 5 or so
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

God dammit !!!
0 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

Back to the same old shit first 2 games seemed to be working together Vargas dribble drive top of key calling for pick drive and a miss didn’t take them long to catch on what was she 5-14 we can’t win games unless she shares the ball lucky we beat Hartford Reiss just going thru the motions waiting for her foreign squad next year wondering why Oberg not getting any time any thoughts
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

She had 8 assists...team high for the year.

Also they needed to take 3 planes to get there, and beat ND in the second half.

Much like there wasnt much to draw from beating LIU, there isn't much to draw from losing to UND on the road.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Lost to BC by 11.

Looks like they started slow again, got in a hole, and played better in the second half.

Dale had another stinker, Vargas and Moffitt didn't really play well either. Erin Jones impressed, and Jorgenson rebounded after a poor game against UND.

They couldn't hold on to the basketball, and shot horridly in the first half. Even on the bench, Kossandra Brown was the only one who really was able to contribute.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While I was looking for the soccer game, I noticed it was on ESPN+ - I watched maybe the first quarter and a half. They were getting killed and had a ton of offensive fouls. The BC lead was in the 20s when I switched to the soccer game. But they did play hard that I could see and I'm glad they only lost by 11.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

BC not that good a team either and we could be well on to a 20 plus loss season again. Looks like this coach can’t get this team to defend or box out either! They all want to chuck up the ball and score and this coach is willing to let it happen. It’s early but not liking what I’m seeing! 6 assists for entire game and defense non existent. There were 8 charges by uri players because its me first and nobody else. Put your head down and jack it up. Offensive scheme is getting tired and they haven’t played anybody yet. This team is selfish like last year and were getting same results. We should be 4-0 with a little coaching!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

All the reports on Reiss were really solid so looks like it will take some time let’s stay patient !!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

She doesn't have her players yet.

Way too early to overreact.
2 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

> can’t get this team to defend

Causes 20 turnovers

>box out either

Out rebounded by 3

URI has played one home game, and has played the 347th, 152nd, 219th, and 150th ranked teams in WBB. We started the season 287, and are now 278.

We're 4 games in. No one can say anything definitive about anything. We should handle Vermont on Monday, but we won't have a real idea of how this team is improving until the A10 schedule.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

@theblueram... is it time for "the question" yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago @theblueram... is it time for "the question" yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is it getting late early already? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Vermont is horrible . We will be toast in the A-10!
Vargas is a sieve defensively ! A team that presses, runs and defends will give this team fits. I guess we wait for the transfers
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

OT...down 2
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

winner winner
0 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

Vargas is Horrible and ball hog can’t play defense top of key call for a pick every game and the shots she takes are insane bad attitude almost called for T for the second game in a row Dale won this game Why is Oberg on the bench much better than Rodgers can Tammi coach or too busy chewing gum A10 play is going to be a joke
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Positives:
1. Davida Dale had her best game since coming here. She was awesome.
2. Erin Jones, very quietly, is having a very solid season.
3. The team protected the basketball well.

Negatives:
1. Everything else.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like Dan last year with UConn, his 1st year and not his players.

Expect major improvements next season. One would expect that anyway.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So now we are expecting miracles with the new women's coach in what the 5th game? Did we really expect to be 5-0 and dominating? Building this program is going to take time.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Of course not...we can't really say anything about the direction of the program (other than the team has certainly worked together better this year) yet.

But on a game by game basis, we can surely say what works and what doesn't. Last night was not great, despite the result. And it has little barring on what is in store on Sunday.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SorrynotSorry wrote: 4 years ago Vargas is Horrible and ball hog can’t play defense top of key call for a pick every game and the shots she takes are insane bad attitude almost called for T for the second game in a row Dale won this game Why is Oberg on the bench much better than Rodgers can Tammi coach or too busy chewing gum A10 play is going to be a joke
Excellent conservation of punctuation. Bravo.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago So now we are expecting miracles with the new women's coach in what the 5th game? Did we really expect to be 5-0 and dominating? Building this program is going to take time.
Kind of like the football threads, I think this one also has some posters with some... very strong, very personally held opinions that might seem "louder" because there are less people talking in general.
2 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Veronica Vorackova left the program to go pro
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

When is the last time we started 4-2, or better?........The Fairfield win today was comparable to their losses to Temple and Seton Hall.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

6-2 last season. Finished 8-21.

The only negative I saw today was Jorgensen being pretty much completely neutralized.

Good game from Vargas. Great game from Dale again. No real let up.

Good win against a lesser team.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Thanks, I forgot...............last year was not memorable.

I'm going to make it to a couple of the weekend home games, when the men don't play.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

There was a stretch in the 3rd where the defense fell apart and Cross hit what felt like 200 threes in a row, but it was overall a really good effort.

Holy Cross was 63% to win.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Essentially same core group as last year and she has definitely coached them up. She coaches for 40 minutes and gives off very positive vibes. The team appears to get along, play defense and has shared the ball very well. The schedule to this point hasn't been overwhelming and there are two big games this weekend. That being said, Coach Tammi Reiss has come in and changed the culture.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I agree Cameron_Dollar....and her entire staff is excellent !!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

I couldn't make it to Smithfield, but the 135th ranked Rams were picked as 63% favorites over the 186th ranked Brown Bears (from WBBState.com)...

And going into the 4th quarter it's 61-32 Rams. Vargas with 19, Dale with 12, and Jones continues to do a little bit of everything well.
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago Essentially same core group as last year and she has definitely coached them up. She coaches for 40 minutes and gives off very positive vibes. The team appears to get along, play defense and has shared the ball very well. The schedule to this point hasn't been overwhelming and there are two big games this weekend. That being said, Coach Tammi Reiss has come in and changed the culture.
This year is a gimme year. Not her recruits so as long as they play hard and there is no scandal no expectations really. They’ve beaten some very weak teams and couldn’t beat some average ones. Interesting that today against a providence team that is weaker than last years providence team they couldn’t get it done. Dania beat a good providence team for the chip last year at URI after which things deteriorated fast once we got to conference play. This is still a weak defensive team overall especially at the perimeter. Providence blew by rhody defenders anytime they wanted. Thought Vargas had an outstanding weekend offensively but still can’t defend. Dale nowhere to be found , too many mistakes on d by Moffitt and Jones and contributed nothing offensively which will probably be the case against bigger more athletic teams. Brown gives a lot off the bench with offense but too small to defend real post players. Jorgensen has a hard time staying on the court. Rest of the bench really not getting a chance to show anything and probably the reason players like jones and Moffitt look gassed half the time and don’t defend. Said last year with the right coaching it could have been a 500 team but this loss I will put on the coach . Game was there for the taking but poor utilization of the bench and she might have to look at some different combinations to be competitive in conference. Will be interesting!
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Either you did not watch the game yesterday or you have an ax to grind. Maybe both? The single reason for the loss yesterday is the team's best player was a non factor. Had her contribution been even minimal the team would have been up by 10 points going into 4th quarter. I'm not judging her. She could have been under the weather or maybe being from Providence she choked up a bit knowing the intensity of the rivalry. It's over and time to move on. As for PC being better last year, the record certainly doesn't support that. I was a big fan of Daynia's. In my opinion, the team knew she was a lame duck and quit on her. Now, even with a short bench they are playing hard every game for their jobs, as well they should.
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Not so fifty cent! To lay the defeat at the feet of one player shows you might have an agenda! Brown lost 5 starters, providence although having a good record lost some key starters from last year and are young. The reason the game was lost was turnovers as stated correctly by the rhody website . One player does not win or lose a game, last time I looked there are 5 on the floor. Now if you want to be specific Jones had 7 turnovers (ouch) and Jorgensen 5 with Jones air balling a three at a critical juncture which she was 0-5 from behind the arc. Vargas couldn’t miss so maybe she gets 3 of those looks and we win despite the turnovers. Thought the Jones pick for all tournament was strange since she didn’t really put up any numbers. Thought the brown kid gave a big lift off the bench and deserved the nod there. Maybe this coach has pets too! So you could say the whole team and the coaching staff included blundered this one. Not just one players fault!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago Either you did not watch the game yesterday or you have an ax to grind. Maybe both? The single reason for the loss yesterday is the team's best player was a non factor. Had her contribution been even minimal the team would have been up by 10 points going into 4th quarter. I'm not judging her. She could have been under the weather or maybe being from Providence she choked up a bit knowing the intensity of the rivalry. It's over and time to move on. As for PC being better last year, the record certainly doesn't support that. I was a big fan of Daynia's. In my opinion, the team knew she was a lame duck and quit on her. Now, even with a short bench they are playing hard every game for their jobs, as well they should.
URI's Record for the 5 years under Daynia LaForce
2014-2015 (17-13)(8-8)
2015-2016 (12-18)(5-11)
2016-2017 (6-23)(2-14)
2017-2018 (3-27)(1-14)
2018-2019 (8-21)(3-13)

If you say LaForce was a lame duck and the team quit on her last year, then what was the problem the previous years? Her last season record was better than the previous 2 years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All In wrote: 4 years ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago Essentially same core group as last year and she has definitely coached them up. She coaches for 40 minutes and gives off very positive vibes. The team appears to get along, play defense and has shared the ball very well. The schedule to this point hasn't been overwhelming and there are two big games this weekend. That being said, Coach Tammi Reiss has come in and changed the culture.
This year is a gimme year. Not her recruits so as long as they play hard and there is no scandal no expectations really. They’ve beaten some very weak teams and couldn’t beat some average ones. Interesting that today against a providence team that is weaker than last years providence team they couldn’t get it done. Dania beat a good providence team for the chip last year at URI after which things deteriorated fast once we got to conference play. This is still a weak defensive team overall especially at the perimeter. Providence blew by rhody defenders anytime they wanted. Thought Vargas had an outstanding weekend offensively but still can’t defend. Dale nowhere to be found , too many mistakes on d by Moffitt and Jones and contributed nothing offensively which will probably be the case against bigger more athletic teams. Brown gives a lot off the bench with offense but too small to defend real post players. Jorgensen has a hard time staying on the court. Rest of the bench really not getting a chance to show anything and probably the reason players like jones and Moffitt look gassed half the time and don’t defend. Said last year with the right coaching it could have been a 500 team but this loss I will put on the coach . Game was there for the taking but poor utilization of the bench and she might have to look at some different combinations to be competitive in conference. Will be interesting!
Last season PC finished tied for 6th in the BE
This season PC was selected by Coaches to finish tied for 5th with 4 starters returning including the BE Freshman of the Year:

The Friars turned a corner in 2018-19, posting their most overall wins (19) since 2009-10, and most BIG EAST victories (eight) since 1996-97. Providence earned a national postseason bid for the first time since the 2009-10 season, advancing to the Round of 16 in the WNIT. Four starters are back in 2019-2020, including reigning BIG EAST Freshman of the Year Mary Baskerville. During her rookie campaign, Baskerville finished among the conference leaders in rebounding, blocks and field goal percentage.

URI was only down by 2 points with 1.5 minutes to play. The game was easily within reach.
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

All in did you actually witness this game? Or do you have an agenda? Providence did a good coaching job of disrupting us, we have a very thin bench, and a couple of players had sub par games. Based on their usual production. Have to give some credit to the opponent. Down the stretch they were able to take advantage of a new college player by using their highly rated and very good center to score. Brown can and will play defense. Baskerville can score on anyone.

Coaches and players alike worked hard and played hard and may have run out of gas in a 2 day tournament. Very normal. There aren’t pets, favorites, or anything else. Effort and participation by all.

On top of this it was one of the worst refereed college games I’ve ever witnessed, and all I do is watch college basketball. The 5th on Jorgensen was non existent she made a great block. While I would not necessarily call it one sided, the refs were all over the place and inconsistent on what they were letting players do and many could never figure it out. Players on both sides were very uncomfortable. Many on the PC team weren’t allowed to play offense, ours were t allowed to defend.

Based on your constant negative reports, you have something else in mind and it’s not rooting for the success of this program. This is night and day from the fiasco I watched last year.
2 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

At the end of the day it’s about results . Coaches get paid to produce, players get scholarships to produce! Bad refs, sub par performances by key players , I had a bad hair day yada Yada Yada! Doesn’t cut it! You have to win the winnable games and not shoot yourselves in the foot. Things are not getting easier for this team as they go into conference play. I have high hopes for Tammy. I want her to take this team to .500 because I’ve said all along this is a .500 team. Next year when Tammy has her players it will be on her totally. If we lose 20 again this year she will be another one who can’t get it done at rhody and that doesn’t bode well for the 5 year plan no matter how enthusiastic she is or positive. She’s making 300gs or there about to win games not win popularity contests! In the end you are judged by wins and losses. Ask Darth Dania! Or we can all hold hands and sing kumba ya and stink it up with another 20 loss year. But mommy and daddy won’t care because their little cup cake scored 10 points but gave up 15 on d!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

She inherited a dumpster fire and is in Year 1 of her tenure. You give any coach 3 years before you pass judgment in a situation like this. From what I can tell she is on the right path.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

lol bro are these posts serious?
1 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

You can tell how serious he is because he spells her name "Tammy" and thinks punctuation is for assholes.
0 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by uriwdesbeter »

Spook wrote: 4 years ago All in did you actually witness this game? Or do you have an agenda? Providence did a good coaching job of disrupting us, we have a very thin bench, and a couple of players had sub par games. Based on their usual production. Have to give some credit to the opponent. Down the stretch they were able to take advantage of a new college player by using their highly rated and very good center to score. Brown can and will play defense. Baskerville can score on anyone.

Coaches and players alike worked hard and played hard and may have run out of gas in a 2 day tournament. Very normal. There aren’t pets, favorites, or anything else. Effort and participation by all.

On top of this it was one of the worst refereed college games I’ve ever witnessed, and all I do is watch college basketball. The 5th on Jorgensen was non existent she made a great block. While I would not necessarily call it one sided, the refs were all over the place and inconsistent on what they were letting players do and many could never figure it out. Players on both sides were very uncomfortable. Many on the PC team weren’t allowed to play offense, ours were t allowed to defend.

Based on your constant negative reports, you have something else in mind and it’s not rooting for the success of this program. This is night and day from the fiasco I watched last year.
Totally agree with you. Some who post here don't seem to watch the actual games, just look at stats. This isn't the only game with questionable reffing (North Dakota was very one-sided). I give credit to the athletes who are competing, learning a new system, most having spent years with an ineffective coach (I won't go there again). It will still take time for the current players to learn to play together with Tammi's system. Tammi did say she is focused on changing the culture, and that doesn't happen overnight. I think they are doing great, and with a few exceptions, show great team play. URI was in this game until the end of the last quarter. With Nicole out of the game, they didn't have much to answer against their center. And congrats to the 2 players who made the All-Tournament Team, too. URI was the only team with 2 players voted in.
0 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

Been a season ticket holder for several years now and trust me I’m no expert however this coach and team appear headed in the right direction. So what saw we show some support by putting a butt in the seat?
0 x