12/1 | West Virginia | 2:00PM (Root sports/AT&T Sportsnet & Streaming)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/1 | West Virginia | 2:00PM (Root sports/AT&T Sportsnet & Streaming)

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago You could also say the same about that rag, golocalprov!
That is neither a paper nor a real credible news source. I give it little notice.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I know I'm being very critical of Projo here, but yesterday we saw the most unusual lineup decision in many years - benching a preseason all A10 second team player - and we have no answers as to why. Was Jeff sick? Was Cox sending a message? Was it a change based on opposing defense? Is this not important?

This game was 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh. Hotels are dirt cheap. Rental cars are dirt cheap. Instead they burned money on Kevin in Anaheim (all the way across the country) for losses to Long Beach State & Charleston, and a 3 point win against powerhouse Pepperdine. Don't give me this boring old attendance shtick every home game when we don't get local coverage against 2/3 of P5 teams we play against.

Someone get an answer on why Jeff was benched.
If I am not mistaken, PC has played nine games and the Projo covered all but one (@Northwestern). It covered the three Friar games in Anaheim, CA. The Projo has sent no one to cover three of URI's eight games thus far (@ WVU and in Jamaica versus LSU and N Texas).

URI still has one game left that is far from RI (@ MTSU) and the Friars have yet to play versus Florida in Brooklyn. My guess (based on its past patterns) is that the paper will not cover URI's game but will cover PC. This likely scenario would mean just ONE PC game (out of 13) would not have been covered while FOUR URI games (out of 12), a full third of its OOC, were missed.

The clear difference in the number of games covered is a stark contrast and only further feeds the long time narrative that the Projo gives preferred treatment to PC.
Does this surprise you? Did you expect the Projo to send someone to Jamaica? The Projo did not send anyone to Cancun when Hurley was the Coach and they played Maryland and TCU.

This has been a subject here forever. I think Blue Man has stated it best in the past

PC simply has a much wider audience in the State then URI does. PC gets far more fans to their games than URI and has far more popularity throughout the state. I don't like it, never have, but PC has always gotten more coverage than URI, since the 1960's at least.

URI could have more interest. Amazing job getting Jim Harrick by our URI President. Terrible job with Jerry D and then Jim Baron who underutilized the beautiful, Best on the East Coast Ryan Center to Recruit with. Jim Harrick gave Jim Baron a gift that he didn't know how to leverage. Dan Hurley was a great hire to bring us back.

But honestly, I hate PC, root for them to lose every game in every sport, but I am not going to get upset that the Projo covers the far more popular PC Friars than URI.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Of all who complain about projo on here - how many of you pay the $16 a month to subscribe?

When your responses are "I would never give a dime to that rag" etc, etc...what do you expect?

If their paying customers click on and read more PC articles, who are they going to cater to?

If they sent Koch to cover the games all over the place are any of you going to support the paper and subscribe? Probably not.

So why you continue to complain about it is beyond me.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I know I'm being very critical of Projo here, but yesterday we saw the most unusual lineup decision in many years - benching a preseason all A10 second team player - and we have no answers as to why. Was Jeff sick? Was Cox sending a message? Was it a change based on opposing defense? Is this not important?

This game was 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh. Hotels are dirt cheap. Rental cars are dirt cheap. Instead they burned money on Kevin in Anaheim (all the way across the country) for losses to Long Beach State & Charleston, and a 3 point win against powerhouse Pepperdine. Don't give me this boring old attendance shtick every home game when we don't get local coverage against 2/3 of P5 teams we play against.

It was certainly To send a message. Jeff seems to be suffering from “senior-itis”.

He’s playing tentative, and scared basketball. He’s the best pure shooter on our team and seems to be settling for layups or forced mid range fade-away jumpers. It’s like he’s afraid to make the wrong play, instead of playing to his skill set and abilities. He’s missing layups! In my analysis, it appears the staff is trying to re-boot Jeff. He’s not playing like WE and HE know e can.
Jeff played less imho because of the size of the line up that Huggins and West Virginia Plays. He starts 3F and 2G. Most teams go with 2F and 3G and some even go with 4G and 1F
I mentioned earlier in the thread my observation that midway through the 1st half David Cox went with a big line up of:
Harris F
Langevine F
Toppin F
Martin G
Russell G

Cox then a couple of minutes later switched out Martin with Dowtin but left the trio of Harris, Langevine and Toppin in the game

I think that is why Cox went with that Line Up again to start the 2nd half. He went with Toppin instead of Dowtin because he needed the Height and the Rebounding. I think Cox made some very wise Coaching moves there to try to offset the Huggins big line up.

As it was WVU Out Rebounded us 14-7 on Offensive Glass and 37-31 overall but it was the Offensive Glass that particularly hurt us.

Our 7 Offensive Rebounds came from Harris,(3), Toppin (2) and Langevine (1)

West Virginia's Line Up Minutes Played were heavily weighted towards the Big Men (pardon the Pun). Not only are their Bug Men tall but physical to boot with 2 over 250 pounds

Minutes Played:
36 - Mathews 6'7" 210 lb Soph 4 rebounds 14 points
32 - Culver 6'10" 255 lb Soph 11 rebounds 25 points coming off the bench - career high points
29 - Haley 6'7" 215 lb SR 5 rebounds 18 points
24 - McBride 6'2" 196 lb FR 1 rebound 8 points
21 - Tshiebwe 6'9" 258 lb 9 rebounds 11 points
19 - Osabuohiew 6'7" 235 lb 5 rebounds 3 points
13- McCabe 6'0" 188 lb Soph 0 rebounds 2 points
11 - McNeil 6'3" 207 lb Spot 0 rebound 3 points

Unfortunately Tate did not get a rebound in 20 minutes of play.

URI's rebounds came from Langevine (9), Harris (6), Toppin (6) and Martin (5). Dowtin also has (3). All of Harris' rebounds came in the 1st half as he led URI in rebounding at the half.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Of all who complain about projo on here - how many of you pay the $16 a month to subscribe?

When your responses are "I would never give a dime to that rag" etc, etc...what do you expect?

If their paying customers click on and read more PC articles, who are they going to cater to?

If they sent Koch to cover the games all over the place are any of you going to support the paper and subscribe? Probably not.

I get the Projo 7 days per week. Always have. Also love the digital edition as well. I like all of the Projo writers, always have. Even liked Jim Donaldson back in the day. Never read a Projo Sportswriter I didn't like. Love Bill Reynolds and his Saturday Column. Loved Paul Kenyon.

URI is my home town school and the Projo is my hometown Newspaper. I support both.

I agree with you Blue Man.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Of all who complain about projo on here - how many of you pay the $16 a month to subscribe?

I subscribed to the Projo for 40+ years. I recently unsubscribed feeling that the constantly rising cost of the paper (3 increases in the past year) no longer equalled the quality of the product.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago So far, this team has been able to not do the stupid thing (like, lose to St. Joe’s) but also not yet quite capable of doing the big thing. In that way, it kind of reminds me some of the 14-15 team. Hopefully the senior presence on this team will mean a slightly better outcome (NCAA not NIT). The positive take on that is that these close games will mean something when it comes to conference play, and they’ll click at the right time.

Fatts! Not sure I want to think about where this team would be if he’d been allowed to move on,
Who was it that “didn’t allow” him to move on?
The current coach at UConn. He wasn’t going to take any established players from the program. Fatts was counseled to stay, and I think that’s a good thing for him.
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Unfortunately Jeff and Fatts might not be complimentary players and the whole will never equal the sum of the parts. It feels like they both need the ball in their hands to be successful.

Jeff so far this year reminds me a lot of Jarvis Garrett in the first tournament year. He looks like someone who either isn't sure of what his role is or isn't comfortable in that role and the play is suffering from that
It’s been quite the role reversal- Dowtin used to be the steady hand and you knew exactly what you were getting from him, while Fatts was the complete wildcard.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Another good scout for Austin Carroll again this game (in addition to Alabama). Obviously DC is making the in-game decisions but the team I felt looked prepared for what WVU threw at them - though I wish the end result was different. I had my doubts with his hire but he seems to bring a very good X's and O's presence to the team in preparing for these big games.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago Another good scout for Austin Carroll again this game (in addition to Alabama). Obviously DC is making the in-game decisions but the team I felt looked prepared for what WVU threw at them - though I wish the end result was different. I had my doubts with his hire but he seems to bring a very good X's and O's presence to the team in preparing for these big games.
I was impressed the minute I met him Season Ticket Holder night. Great experience. We are fortunate to have both Austin and his father on the Staff in my opinion. David Cox did great with the hiring of both.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramster, there is ZERO chance Jeff was sat in favor of a freshman to get more size on the court. If that was the case why didn't that happen against LSU who was every bit as big/strong as WVU. It was to send a message. Jeff has struggled this year, and really struggled in the first half yesterday - 1 for 6. I was in favor of the move, Cox had a long term view with that and I applaud it.

In terms of the coaching I too have been impressed. We made very good halftime adjustments yesterday that paid dividends and got us back in the game. Sagged our bigs in the lane, started going under ball screens, etc.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

It was certainly To send a message. Jeff seems to be suffering from “senior-itis”.

He’s playing tentative, and scared basketball. He’s the best pure shooter on our team and seems to be settling for layups or forced mid range fade-away jumpers. It’s like he’s afraid to make the wrong play, instead of playing to his skill set and abilities. He’s missing layups! In my analysis, it appears the staff is trying to re-boot Jeff. He’s not playing like WE and HE know e can.
I think some of it may have to do with Fatts' improvement. They are the only two guys that can reliably bring the ball up court against pressure. Whenever one is out, it's a risk. Fatts needs the ball in his hands to create/score, and since he's better at it this year than last year, needs the ball more. Jeff has the ball less, getting fewer opportunities...maybe feeling added pressure to capitalize on those fewer opportunities...?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am not sure how I feel about the benching of JD yesterday

I feel he has done so much throughout his career that maybe he deserves to be out there as much as possible in our biggest games

He played 28 minutes yesterday don’t we want him playing at least 35 even if he is having a bad game he does other things well

Don’t tell me we want Tyrese and his lackadaisical attitude making key decisions down the stretch we saw how that worked out

Let JD work through this he will get it going
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I am not sure how I feel about the benching of JD yesterday

I feel he has done so much throughout his career that maybe he deserves to be out there as much as possible in our biggest games

He played 28 minutes yesterday don’t we want him playing at least 35 even if he is having a bad game he does other things well

Don’t tell me we want Tyrese and his lackadaisical attitude making key decisions down the stretch we saw how that worked out

I agree. I liked the benching in the early part of the 2nd half to send a message. Strongly disliked the benching at the end of the game because it hurt the team. I would've preferred Martin to be taken out and coached after that bad foul with 1 min left.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Jeff is due for a break out game and Friday could be the game.
1 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
15 Year Lurker wrote: 4 years ago Great game. Was hoping they would steal. Two real bad passes at the end by Tyrese and a bad shot.

But this team is good. Could be an exciting year. Everyone on the floor can score.

Fatts is playing incredible this season.

You must not watch Harris, or Long, or Tate if you think everyone on the floor can score.
I think all those guys have the potential to score 10+ points on the right day. Not every game. Good compliments to the others...at least Harris and Tate. Long I wasn't really referring to...he looks to be struggling but we are short on bodies.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Jeff is due for a break out game and Friday could be the game.
From your lips to God’s ears.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I am not sure how I feel about the benching of JD yesterday

When Cox went with the big line up of Harris, Langevine, Toppin down low and Martin, Russell bringing the ball up midway thru the 1st half you might call that “benching” Dowtin, except that 2-3 minutes later Dowtin came in for Martin. I wouldn’t call that Martin getting benched - just Cox going with a big line up including our 3 tallest players and our 3 best rebounders.

Because Cox went with the same 3 “tallest and best rebounding” line up of Harris, Langevine, Toppin plus Martin, Russell at guard to start the 2nd half could be interpreted as Dowtin getting benched, BUT if it had been Martin sitting out for Toppin would we also say Martin was benched?

I’m just saying I don’t know if Dowtin was benched. I don’t think he was. I think a Cox was reacting to Huggins playing 3 and sometimes 4 big men at once.

I’d like to hear from the Head Coach regarding this line up change.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

If I am not mistaken, PC has played nine games and the Projo covered all but one (@Northwestern). It covered the three Friar games in Anaheim, CA. The Projo has sent no one to cover three of URI's eight games thus far (@ WVU and in Jamaica versus LSU and N Texas).

URI still has one game left that is far from RI (@ MTSU) and the Friars have yet to play versus Florida in Brooklyn. My guess (based on its past patterns) is that the paper will not cover URI's game but will cover PC. This likely scenario would mean just ONE PC game (out of 13) would not have been covered while FOUR URI games (out of 12), a full third of its OOC, were missed.

The clear difference in the number of games covered is a stark contrast and only further feeds the long time narrative that the Projo gives preferred treatment to PC.
This will help you understand the Budget relationship.....in addition Bill is very busy covering the Red Sox, High School Sports including the recent Thanksgiving Week Football Games....

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wonder what it cost to send McNamara to SoCal for that tourney?

Not cheap I'm sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Ramster, there is ZERO chance Jeff was sat in favor of a freshman to get more size on the court. If that was the case why didn't that happen against LSU who was every bit as big/strong as WVU. It was to send a message. Jeff has struggled this year, and really struggled in the first half yesterday - 1 for 6. I was in favor of the move, Cox had a long term view with that and I applaud it.

In terms of the coaching I too have been impressed. We made very good halftime adjustments yesterday that paid dividends and got us back in the game. Sagged our bigs in the lane, started going under ball screens, etc.
I was wrong. BAR you were right - I should know better than to not believe you :oops: :oops:

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You’re my boy blue (ramster)

And to reiterate I applaud the move by DC. Something was needed let’s hope we see a new Jeff aka the old Jeff.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've been meaning to ask, does anybody know if Sheppard was back with the team for this game?
0 x