OT Rutger's Mike Rice Suspended and Fined.. and Now FIRED!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: OT Rutger's Mike Rice Suspended and Fined

Unread post by RIFan »

The PR aspect of this has me concerned; RU needs a big PR win with this next hire. This leads me to think they will open up the bank doors and promise the world to get “their man”, whoever that will be.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

All the more reason then that Hurley isn't the guy. Even though he has the Rams on the right track, how do you sell the fan base on him with the record he had this year. They won't care that he did the best that could be expected with what he had to work with.... They need to make a BIG splash to get this blown over. Hiring Hurley might be a good move but it doesn't have the splash factor.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

If Hurley has any integrity he will see it through at URI.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Who's available? Who's going to want to work in that mess?

The immediate future of the AD, maybe even the president, is in question. The state of NJ is threatening to move in on this.

Could be a long drawn out process, especially if the state gets involved. Some are even questioning continuing state funding for the coach's position.

The B10 can't be happy with this either.

Rutgers right now is a blight on their reputation.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

AP reporting that Rutgers is "reconsidering" whether to fire Rice. Bet it's today. If not, the AD gets canned tomorrow. NJ politicians are now piling on. Even if you don't think Rice's actions should result in his firing (I'm NOT), then his recruiting has to be shot to hell anyway. He's got to go ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

1. Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti's decision to keep Mike Rice even after the coach's suspension and $50,000 fine made no sense. The two years remaining on Rice's contract -- with one year in the soon-to-be-named conference before entering the Big Ten in 2014 -- was another sign. No one within the industry expected Rice to be coaching in the Big Ten. So the question that remains unanswered is why did Pernetti keep Rice on when the inevitable was going to happen in a year? The release of the tapes by ESPN's "Outside the Lines" showed that the decision to simply suspend and fine was a mistake. Now Rice has no shot to coach in the Big Ten, or to recruit for next season. Rutgers will have to cut him loose -- and can do so for cause. When this happens, because it's incredibly difficult to see this being an "if" scenario, Rutgers must look to someone who either has strong ties to the university (like Eddie Jordan), has a clean image and/or can coach at the highest level in the Big Ten (like Jay Wright or Al Skinner). There are others out there, but Rutgers will need to find someone who has high character and can regain the respect the program needs before it enters the Big Ten. One side note: I remember talking to Rice when he came back from the suspension and he said he was going to change the way he delivered his message -- though not the intensity of how he would express himself. But it was clearly too late, since these videos had already been recorded.

2. Former UCLA coach Ben Howland would seem to be another possible candidate for Rutgers. But it's unclear what Howland will do. He said Tuesday that he will sit the year out, attend practices, get healthier and then come back. Howland will be in demand. He went to three Final Fours. He coached the Bruins to the regular-season Pac-12 title. Tubby Smith was able to land at Texas Tech within 10 days of being fired at Minnesota.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... point-shot
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Danny Hurley — Many around New Jersey hope/expect that Hurley will one day take over at Rutgers or Seton Hall, but this may not be the right time. Hurley will begin his second season at Rhode Island next season and has a loaded team with several transfers becoming eligible, including Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta, who figures prominently in the Mike Rice tapes.
http://zagsblog.com/articles/if-rice-is ... more-92938
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Didn't know that Rutgers was paying Rice less than what Dan is making at URI. At least in base pay.

How much more would they offer a new coach, especially going to the B10? I would think in the 1 mil range. To get some of the guys that have been mentioned, they would need to be in that range, if not more.

Rice is gone. The players have been notified this morning, according to sources. Just waiting for the official announcement.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Maybe it's the eternal optimism in me, but does anybody truly think Hurley wants any part of that Rutgers mess?? I'm finding that hard to believe, especially when you consider the influx of talent we have next year. I'm not naive enough to think that Hurley will be a "lifer" here, but I agree with what many posters have already said; URI is where Hurley will make his mark. Once that occurs (hopefully 4-5 years down the road), he will have much more attractive job offers at his disposal.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I would be very disappointed in Hurley as a person if he left for Rutgers. But I don't think he'd do it. He still has something to prove here.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ESPN just announed that he's been fired.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

scine20 wrote:If Hurley has any integrity he will see it through at URI.
Dan would do his D1 coaching reputation great harm if he were to bounce out of URI to anything less than a top flight job right now. Rutgers does NOT qualify as a top flight job.

Last thing he wants is another losing season. I'm sure in his head, this past year is the last losing season he hopes to EVER have in his coaching career.

Dan stays without question. He can get a MUCH better job than Rutgers with higher pay than Rutgers if he were to just follow through here at URI, and prove his system works and delivers national-level success.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

http://www.scarletknights.com/basketbal ... Vw5uDdv6UU

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (April 3, 2013) – Based upon recently revealed information and a review of previously discovered issues, Rutgers has terminated the contract of Mike Rice.

“I am responsible for the decision to attempt a rehabilitation of Coach Rice,” said Rutgers Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Tim Pernetti. “Dismissal and corrective action were debated in December and I thought it was in the best interest of everyone to rehabilitate, but I was wrong. Moving forward, I will work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community.

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: OT Rutger's Mike Rice Suspended and Fined.. and Now FIRE

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What a mess.
Rutgers needs the builder of programs, someone with
great integrity, who graduates his kids (in his mind).
They need James Baron of Canisius!
Actually, this might be a good place for Al, as he took BC from dust and made them into a fine program.
He always ran a clean program, and he's a gentleman.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pernetti is already embarking on damage control, to save his own job.

"Recently revealed information". Was it really, or was it withheld in a cover up?

Depending on what investigators find, that will decide if the AD keeps his job.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Would anything be better than if Rutgers hired Baron?

I know it's an extreme longshot but how funny would it be to see Baron going up against Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, Thad Matta, Tom Crean and John Beilein twice a season.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:What a mess.
Rutgers needs the builder of programs, someone with
great integrity, who graduates his kids (in his mind).
They need James Baron of Canisius!
Too perfect.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, yes Al would be the "safe" choice for Rutgers.

Sound familiar?

But that's not a knock on Al. He's way better than what our "safe choice" was.

As for JB, even Rutgers wouldn't be that dumb. Or would they?
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

PUT IT TO BED

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Thorr was closer to leaving than most here think. Dan Hurley had by far the biggest influence in him staying, believe me. Danny is staying here, case closed.
Of course, I am speaking about this year only. Will he be considered for Rutgers? Of course! But no need to reply to any shit stirrers, he is staying here (with Thorr) to complete his job. Case closed.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: PUT IT TO BED

Ramtastico wrote:Will he be considered for Rutgers? Of course! But no need to reply to any shit stirrers, he is staying here (with Thorr) to complete his job. Case closed.
AMEN
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

If Baron by some miracle got the Rutgers job and Billy went with him that would mean that in four years Billy Baron would have played for four different schools in four different conferences. I assume that hasn't happened before in college basketball.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

In some ways, Al would be a very good choice. One of the things I've admired about him is he always respected his players.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

A few thoughts:
-- I think what Tom Penders was saying was that Rice hurt himself with his actions, that nobody inflicted the hurt on him.
-- Mike Rice Sr. was a lunatic, too. Long-time Rhody fans remember him coaching the Iron Dukes of Dookane when URI joined the Eastern 8 in 1980. His sideline antics were right up there with those of Gerry Friel (who is still the gold standard IMO).
-- If the AD knew there was video and just suspended Rice, the AD is a moron for thinking the video would never surface, especially in the hands of a former employee, disgruntled or otherwise and should lose his job, too.
-- Rutgers needs a safe hire and could do a lot worse than Al. But is Al that desperate to get back on the sidelines? OTOH, after this nightmare any reasonably competent coach will have five years at big bucks to right the ship. I don't know whether Al would think about it in these terms, but this would give him one last big payday before he retires and, if he can do there what he did at Boston College, the opportunity to groom a successor. Let's not forget the cesspool he inherited in Chestnut Hill.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There are also some reports out there that former Friar Eric Murdock tried to extort 1m from Rutgers in exchange for not making these videos public. No one looks good in all of this, be it Rice, Pernetti, or Murdock.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Driving to work around 6:45 this morning, listening (regretfully) to Boomer and Carton(sp) on the fan. Carton,(who every person on this board has more knowledge than)started screaming they should take a Hurley, any Hurley, Boomer knew he was at Rhode Island but Carton...I'm a big New York sports fan but I'd rather listen to EII. Danny is staying.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

In the Zag's Blog article it says, "Rice makes a reported $655,000 at Rutgers, and that probably isn’t enough to lure somebody like Greenberg away from ESPN" referring to Seth Greenburg. Isn't that roughly what Hurley is making right now anyway at URI? Why leave a program with a loaded team to take over a train wreck without any monetary incentive. I think (and hope) he stays put at URI.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

CTRamfan wrote:Truth - no one on this forum really knows what these coaches think.

.....We will know what Hurley thinks when he buys a home here. It will take a while for his salary to really kick in, and he feels secure to make a move, if he wants. 'Till then, just speculation.

On Mike Rice - Not at all surprised by his suspension. My son and I were at a Quinnipiac - Robert Morris game in Hamden four years ago. I had seats three rows behind the RM bench. Both of us thought it was a strong possibility that he would be arrested for assault some day. His behavior toward his players and staff was brutal. Verbally abusive, physically abusive, looked like a maniac.......Bob Knight was a "lamb" by comparison.

Some topics never change. My post on this thread in December.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Remember, Zags is almost the Hurley's mouthpiece, and there is a direct
line of communication with Hurley and Jim Carr, among others.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

That behavior seen from behind the bench reminds me of Gordie Cheisa, whom I saw up close at Manhattan........maybe less physical...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The days of the disciplinarian/no holds barred type coach is now gone. Being cool and showing little motion is in. Vince Lombardi would have a hard time in this environment. The Rice case also shows how vindictive and unforgiving we have become as a society. Rehabilitation is for sissies. Piling on is a much more appreciated value. Mavericks need not apply.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Gordie Chiesa was a terrific assistant but couldn't deal with the stress of being a head coach.

Eric Murdock -- a Pee-C Fryuh -- trying extortion? I don't believe it. Not in a million years. Not from a Pee-C Fryuh.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Pernetti needs to be let go as well. He let this happen for far too long. He was protecting his hire and needs to be let go for not handling with this situation before the pressure of the media got to him. This isn't someone you want running a college program, especially one that is moving to a new conference.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

apparently the president did not see the video until yesterday and was going on the AD's word of what was on it, I would expect the AD to be gone soon as well
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If some internet stories are true....it seems Murdock wanted a million dollars for his silence and Rutgers offered $200,000...leading me to believe others in the administration knew of the situation involving the videos...who has to authorize any settlements?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Remember, Zags is almost the Hurley's mouthpiece, and there is a direct
That's the thing. Zagoria already quoted Hurley, Sr as saying he wasn't interested in RU. In fact, he was asked if he would be an asst to DH at Rutgers, he responded (paraphrasing), "Not in a million years". Wouldn't the better response have been to say that DH wasn't leaving URI?

I still think it is unlikely he leaves URI but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Also, enough with the "if he had integrity...." BS. I guarantee no one here was telling him he should stay at Wagner to maintain his integrity.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If he is offered to double his salary or more I would not question his integrity, no one would turn down that type of life altering advancement. Anything less and he is a whore like everyone else. The longer it goes without comment the more likely he is interested in at least hearing more.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:If he is offered to double his salary or more I would not question his integrity, no one would turn down that type of life altering advancement. Anything less and he is a whore like everyone else. The longer it goes without comment the more likely he is interested in at least hearing more.
So, if he goes for double the money, he is not a whore. But, if he goes for the same money, but wants to be in a better conference, in his home state, on bigger stages, than he is a whore? I don't get it. I'd actually be more upset by a pure money grab. Say, leaving for a place like George Mason but for double the money.

The other outcome is that he is using this situation to up his salary at URI.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Whatever.
I know for a fact that Dan and Bob Sr. do not constantly communicate, especially
about basketball.
Bob Sr. would never attempt to speak for his son.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Remember, Zags is almost the Hurley's mouthpiece, and there is a direct
That's the thing. Zagoria already quoted Hurley, Sr as saying he wasn't interested in RU. In fact, he was asked if he would be an asst to DH at Rutgers, he responded (paraphrasing), "Not in a million years". Wouldn't the better response have been to say that DH wasn't leaving URI?

I still think it is unlikely he leaves URI but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Also, enough with the "if he had integrity...." BS. I guarantee no one here was telling him he should stay at Wagner to maintain his integrity.
he was not asked if he was be an assistant or associate at Rutgers to one of his sons it was if he would be one to them in general, he also says that it is unlikely that either would take the job since both families are just settling in to their new homes.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Espn reporting that Pernettis job is safe according to a source close to the universities board of trustees.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pernetti's job is safe with the school. That still doesn't mean his job is totally safe. If the state bloodhounds sniff around long enough, he could still be in deep trouble. So he helped Rutgers go to the B10? I guess that's more important than trying to cover up the abuse of student athletes.

As for Dan, if he were to bolt for Rutgers, after being instrumental in keeping Thorr here, that would be the ultimate stab in the back.

I think he's staying. But Dan needs to know, that everyone wants to hear a definitive NO from him, and soon, or else all the speculation could end up hurting the program.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

If and I do mean if he leaves, he really won't care what anybody here thinks. Most coaches have short memories and don't look back back. Comes with the territory I guess
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I don't think Bobby would have decided to be head coach at snow 200 days a year Buffalo if he thought Dan was going to Rutgers. I would guess Bobby would have had a chance to coach here, if Dan leaves. URI is a much better spot than Buffalo.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I assume by tomorrow we will either have lost our coach or get some type of public statement about staying put. its reached a point where he will have to say something soon, too much speculation.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Hurley Show wrote:I don't think Bobby would have decided to be head coach at snow 200 days a year Buffalo if he thought Dan was going to Rutgers. I would guess Bobby would have had a chance to coach here, if Dan leaves. URI is a much better spot than Buffalo.
Unless you wanted a place with less pressure to start...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, if there is no statement from Dan by the end of the week, I would take that to mean there is interest on his part.

I would assume that if Rutgers is interested, which I'm sure they are, they will want to talk to him very soon, like this week. If he were to interview, I would become VERY concerned.

He needs to put the rumors to rest, one way or the other.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I would think that Dan would be able to land a MUCH better job at a higher level than Rutgers after a good season with URI this year. A more high profile program with more money than Rutger can give. Why go to another rebuild?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree hopefully DH squelches this real quick
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Sounds like Rice, Murdock and the AD all deserve each other. Hurley is already in the first stages of a major rebuild. Would he want to do that again, especially at a place tainted by scandal?
If Hurley is as good as he seems, he will get opportunities at better schools in a few years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you have the time, this is a pretty good write-up of how the situation developed.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... se-scandal
0 x