THE EARLY LINE URI VS WVU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

THE EARLY LINE URI VS WVU

Unread post by luke »

The opening line is West Virginia -9. Seems like a fair number for both teams. Wouldn't touch this one.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS WVA

Unread post by theblueram »

I would think the line would be much higher in favor of WV since they are so much higher ranked. Who sets these lines?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems about right to me
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Take Rhody and the over
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I would think the line would be much higher in favor of WV since they are so much higher ranked. Who sets these lines?
Umm Vegas bookmakers, and they are rarely far off.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I would think the line would be much higher in favor of WV since they are so much higher ranked. Who sets these lines?
Umm Vegas bookmakers, and they are rarely far off.
They have been pretty far off on Rhody no? How many games has Rhody won based on the spread?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not really. If u recall the Manhattan game we started at -12 and by time it tipped we were -9.5. We won by 9. We haven’t covered a lot this year but that is bc we have played below expectations on many of the wins. Not bc the oddsmakers have been off.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BAR we still won the games we were supposed to. I'm not a gambler. Could care less about spread. But if Vegas is getting into setting NCAA amatuer basketball rankings, well that's sad.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Not really. If u recall the Manhattan game we started at -12 and by time it tipped we were -9.5. We won by 9. We haven’t covered a lot this year but that is bc we have played below expectations on many of the wins. Not bc the oddsmakers have been off.
So if the oddsmakers are off it is because the team played below expectations. Maybe URI has played at their actual capability/level and the oddsmakers were off. URI has played one good game (Alabama) in the 7 games played. What is the exception - the Alabama game or the other 6?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

To add, does the NET take the initial point spread or the money line final before the game? So for Manhattan, is the NET based on the 12 or the final bet 9.5? That would be big in statistics.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago To add, does the NET take the initial point spread or the money line final before the game? So for Manhattan, is the NET based on the 12 or the final bet 9.5? That would be big in statistics.
It's the other way around. Vegas takes their opening line from the NET or KenPom or Sagarin. Then the Vegas line moves based on public betting. Vegas makes it's money on the vig not people losing their bets.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS WVU

Unread post by reef »

The Manhattan game opened at -14 and final line was 11.5 it never got as low as 9.5
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Bottom line is we need to play well against an Power 5 opponent that is highly ranked or in the tourney talk. In the past we have frequently lost by double digits on road or neutral games.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

URI has covered the spread in only two of the seven games thus far : Alabama and North Texas .
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sounds about right. Tall order to beat an undefeated WVU at home. The world will remain on it axis after tomorrow though, rest assured.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago The Manhattan game opened at -14 and final line was 11.5 it never got as low as 9.5
Reef,

I saw the final line was 12 points. I never saw 9.5 either, or even anything below 11.5. Money was going heavier on Manhattan so the spread dropped to 12.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab-gam ... 2019/75808

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... ode-island
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The line has moved to WVU - 10 to as high as WVU -11 . At those numbers i think URI is a better bet to cover . An upset win would
go a long way toward helping to get an NCAA bid , but it is a tough place to win and the Rams have not fared well away from home except
at Dayton since last season.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Harris is going to have to man up today or Cyril will get overwhelmed on the boards today or Jeff and Fatts will need to be unconscious from long distance for us to have a chance.
0 x