Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would love a slow Michigan chant during the PC game lol
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I was in 214 and heard a group of students in 215 chanting “F U Bama”: not all of them, though. JV, it’s good to know that this wasn’t heard at floor level.

There are three weeks to come up with some clever chants at the PC game. Perhaps something about Pipkins moving down from the A10 to the BE. Maybe something about Cooley and that he should have gone to Michigan, or maybe that Michigan is better off without him. It’s tougher to chant against coaches than players, though.
Chirping Pipkins because he transferred from a terrible program to a better program/league makes zero sense.
0 x
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I went to the RC for the first time for the Alabama game. I’ve lived in Florida for 40 years and I came up this fall and booked it around Friday night and Tuesday night with Nichols State. I sat in Section 207. Had a great time. I was able to get on the Rhody app to follow stats during the game. A little slow but it worked. Didn’t even try the concessions given what I’ve been reading on KB over the years. I estimated the crowd to be between 6000 and 6500 and was surprised that it was more than 7000. I was somewhat annoyed with all the people standing up and moving around during the action and constantly having to get up to let them get by. Whatever happened to leaving your seat during a timeout or other intermission. I don’t get it. I don’t mind it if it’s a kid but adults should know better. Other than that I had a great time and really enjoyed the game. One question. When Bama was being introduced the students were turning their backs and then turning and pointing at each player. What were they saying when they turned around?
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I went to the RC for the first time for the Alabama game. I’ve lived in Florida for 40 years and I came up this fall and booked it around Friday night and Tuesday night with Nichols State. I sat in Section 207. Had a great time. I was able to get on the Rhody app to follow stats during the game. A little slow but it worked. Didn’t even try the concessions given what I’ve been reading on KB over the years. I estimated the crowd to be between 6000 and 6500 and was surprised that it was more than 7000. I was somewhat annoyed with all the people standing up and moving around during the action and constantly having to get up to let them get by. Whatever happened to leaving your seat during a timeout or other intermission. I don’t get it. I don’t mind it if it’s a kid but adults should know better. Other than that I had a great time and really enjoyed the game. One question. When Bama was being introduced the students were turning their backs and then turning and pointing at each player. What were they saying when they turned around?

Any time the announcer says an opponents name they follow it with “SUCKS!”
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago Shocking that the player stats didn’t work all game
They were trying to keep up with football field scoreboard standards? 'cept without the wifi?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I think we all know that PC is a better program than UMASS. The point would be that PC took an A10 castoff. It’s a joke. Not every chant has to be based on something that’s 100% true. Who knows: it might even get under the skin of some PC fans, even though it shouldn’t.
This was just an example. I’m sure folks can come up with better. Anything but “F PC”. I heard that a bunch of times at the 2017 game. That is so lame.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......we need the Roady Jay poster board of Cooley reaching out for the giant hot dog......

I recall Roady Jay asking Cooley how many hot dogs he wanted, and Cooley said he'd take two. :lol: Probably one of the most hilarious exchanges I witnessed in my entire life.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I thought the student section was pretty awesome vs Alabama. Most of the students standing the entire time the ball was in play.
One suggestion I have is that the ruckus could use maybe one more chant so it's not only "let's go uri" and "uri" when we have possession.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i would do a take off the fight song - really prolong the GOOOOOOOOOOOO (like a soccer chant)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .. RHODY RHODY....
URI
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Ryan Center isn’t the only facility with poor wifi.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago The Ryan Center isn’t the only facility with poor wifi.
The student section should look at newspapers during the visitors intros like Uconn. That would be funny
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago The Ryan Center isn’t the only facility with poor wifi.
The student section should look at newspapers during the visitors intros like Uconn. That would be funny
We actually did that for a game or two back in the late 80s or early 90s. Not sure why this didn't continue. It was brilliant.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've seen the students do the newspaper thing in the last year or two.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I've seen the students do the newspaper thing in the last year or two.
Ditto.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I’d love to work in more chants. We tried last year. It’s just been very difficult to get them to catch on with all the students. I will keep trying.

Also - As a little comparison about how far we’ve come with the Ruckus and how great the students have gotten over the past few seasons? Take a look at this thread at the PC board complaining about the lack of student energy and participation: https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 138783440/
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Something that involves a clap or a foot stomp is effective in getting the kids involved, even something as simple as "Here we go Rhody, here we go, clap, clap", "Here we go Rhody , here we go, stomp, stomp".
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Something that involves a clap or a foot stomp is effective in getting the kids involved, even something as simple as "Here we go Rhody, here we go, clap, clap", "Here we go Rhody , here we go, stomp, stomp".
I see what you're thinking of. Though we do already have "let's go rhody" which is really similar to "here we go rhody".
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago I’d love to work in more chants. We tried last year. It’s just been very difficult to get them to catch on with all the students. I will keep trying.

Also - As a little comparison about how far we’ve come with the Ruckus and how great the students have gotten over the past few seasons? Take a look at this thread at the PC board complaining about the lack of student energy and participation: https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 138783440/
I do remember last year someone in the Ruckus passing out little "chant sheets". What if we made a chant for particular players? Like maybe one for Dowtin or Fatts.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Or something simple like you see at The Garden....."BEAT L.A!"............"BEAT P.C!"
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Or something simple like you see at The Garden....."BEAT L.A!"............"BEAT P.C!"

I think “Beat PC” was used last time they visited the RC but some individuals took the liberty to use a different word in its place :?

(Not that I don’t use the word myself, it doesn’t belong in an arena)
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Or something simple like you see at The Garden....."BEAT L.A!"............"BEAT P.C!"

I think “Beat PC” was used last time they visited the RC but some individuals took the liberty to use a different word in its place :?

(Not that I don’t use the word myself, it doesn’t belong in an arena)
Yeah exactly. If the Ruckus wants kids joining in on the chant then they can't be saying "f**k PC". "Beat PC" is fine.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good stuff.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago I’d love to work in more chants. We tried last year. It’s just been very difficult to get them to catch on with all the students. I will keep trying.

More good stuff.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I finally got CUE to work tonight. I think I was one of 59 people who did.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I finally got CUE to work tonight. I think I was one of 59 people who did.
I saw a few people in the stands around me trying to get it but most don’t seem interested and not trying.
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

A friend sent me this photo of the CUE app in action at Gampel on Sunday. Maybe if we had flames? :?
Screenshot_20191120-083515_Facebook.jpg
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Cue worked last night.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I miss the original light show from the PC game in 16/17. Since then it has slowly died away.
0 x
GO RAMS
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

That stupid app light show was the lamest thing I've ever seen last night. I hope that is canned really quickly.
2 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago A friend sent me this photo of the CUE app in action at Gampel on Sunday. Maybe if we had flames? :?

The game against Alabama last Friday we had the smaller towers shooting out some smoke during intros, but I didn't spot them last night?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago A friend sent me this photo of the CUE app in action at Gampel on Sunday. Maybe if we had flames? :?

The game against Alabama last Friday we had the smaller towers shooting out some smoke during intros, but I didn't spot them last night?
Only thing I could think of is they are only using that for big games / crowds.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I miss the original light show from the PC game in 16/17. Since then it has slowly died away.
Was that one there was blinking lights going around the top of the arena?
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I like the spunk of the CUE app - but I feel like the gameday crew always overlooks the obvious.

If the median age of our fans were under 50, I'm sure this might catch on. The students seemed to have the app up and running, but only a handful of others. It just makes it look bad - i think JV is right that it's going to be a slow uptick and will be awesome if it comes to fruition - but it has the chance to be embarassing for the PC game if at least 60% of the building isn't on board.

More on the obvious front - the scoreboard stat issue is definitely something that's been consistent for as long as I can remember. From my understanding the boards/software are supposedly what the celtics use at TD garden. I've been to plenty of celtics and hockey games there - never seen a problem. Why can't that work? What needs to be invested to make that work? Aren't we $400k/year in the black from NCAA money for the last 2 seasons? Where did the money go?

Wifi/Cell signal - this is getting ridiculous. Like embarrassing. Depending on how far behind they are technologically - $100-$150k should get that done. OR call Verizon and have them put a repeater in the damn building. How in 2019 can you not have a fan base connected to the internet? You want to generate buzz? Tweets. Clips. Gifs. Fan-made content. Pretty hard to do that when you can't even get a text until 30 mins after the game. Aren't we $400k/year in the black from NCAA money for the last 2 seasons? Where did the money go?

Replays - This is truly one thing that KILLS the game day experience. WHY aren't there replays? If we don't have the technology to do it in house (it's 2019 and you're an entertainment venue, what the hell), just plug the damn TV stream into the input and have the live game action/replays come from the broadcast. Leverage YurView or ESPN+. It's INSANE and smalltime that we can't watch replays in our venue when you see them just about everywhere else. Aren't we $400k/year in the black from NCAA money for the last 2 seasons? Where did the money go?

In the non-monetary department, this is just a pet peeve, why can't our cameramen zoom into people the put on the jumbotron? Every fan-engagement seems lame because they're zoomed in on a whole section or several rows instead of a handful of people LIKE EVERY OTHER ARENA WITH A JUMBOTRON.

In other news I'm so happy to just have this to bitch about because I really love this team right now.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Couldn't get the CUE app to sync.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I miss the original light show from the PC game in 16/17. Since then it has slowly died away.
Was that one there was blinking lights going around the top of the arena?
Yes, and they shutoff most of the lights. It was great.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Also I listened to the halftime talk on the radio and Don was trying to get scores from the other A10 games. He couldn't view them because he was having wifi issues. Steve just laughed. lol
1 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Only thing I could think of is they are only using that for big games / crowds.
Can't take away pizzazz for that reason.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I like the spunk of the CUE app - but I feel like the gameday crew always overlooks the obvious.

If the median age of our fans were under 50, I'm sure this might catch on. The students seemed to have the app up and running, but only a handful of others. It just makes it look bad - i think JV is right that it's going to be a slow uptick and will be awesome if it comes to fruition - but it has the chance to be embarassing for the PC game if at least 60% of the building isn't on board.

More on the obvious front - the scoreboard stat issue is definitely something that's been consistent for as long as I can remember. From my understanding the boards/software are supposedly what the celtics use at TD garden. I've been to plenty of celtics and hockey games there - never seen a problem. Why can't that work? What needs to be invested to make that work? Aren't we $400k/year in the black from NCAA money for the last 2 seasons? Where did the money go?

Wifi/Cell signal - this is getting ridiculous. Like embarrassing. Depending on how far behind they are technologically - $100-$150k should get that done. OR call Verizon and have them put a repeater in the damn building. How in 2019 can you not have a fan base connected to the internet? You want to generate buzz? Tweets. Clips. Gifs. Fan-made content. Pretty hard to do that when you can't even get a text until 30 mins after the game. Aren't we $400k/year in the black from NCAA money for the last 2 seasons? Where did the money go?

Replays - This is truly one thing that KILLS the game day experience. WHY aren't there replays? If we don't have the technology to do it in house (it's 2019 and you're an entertainment venue, what the hell), just plug the damn TV stream into the input and have the live game action/replays come from the broadcast. Leverage YurView or ESPN+. It's INSANE and smalltime that we can't watch replays in our venue when you see them just about everywhere else. Aren't we $400k/year in the black from NCAA money for the last 2 seasons? Where did the money go?

In the non-monetary department, this is just a pet peeve, why can't our cameramen zoom into people the put on the jumbotron? Every fan-engagement seems lame because they're zoomed in on a whole section or several rows instead of a handful of people LIKE EVERY OTHER ARENA WITH A JUMBOTRON.

In other news I'm so happy to just have this to bitch about because I really love this team right now.
My favorite is when they ask fans to tweet their highlights of the game. Can’t do it in the building though.
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

I tried to get on the RC WiFi again last night to no avail. Before the game they Tweeted about Tweeting to win a contest, and I tagged the RC in my reply on Twitter asking them about WiFi in the building, but of course they didn't respond.

I love Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat for these games. It's incredibly frustrating that 99.9% of what I want to share posts 30 minutes after the game when I *FINALLY* have some kind of LTE service again driving up 138E near frat circle.

What is this -- 1972? Maybe they should invest in some payphones and provide us with pagers to get a hold of our friends during games.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago The Cue worked last night.
Not for me. Stupid app kept "trying to connect."
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I tried to get on the RC WiFi again last night to no avail. Before the game they Tweeted about Tweeting to win a contest, and I tagged the RC in my reply on Twitter asking them about WiFi in the building, but of course they didn't respond.

I love Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat for these games. It's incredibly frustrating that 99.9% of what I want to share posts 30 minutes after the game when I *FINALLY* have some kind of LTE service again driving up 138E near frat circle.

What is this -- 1972? Maybe they should invest in some payphones and provide us with pagers to get a hold of our friends during games.
I hear they're going to install a giant fax machine in the South Lobby. All faxes will be scanned and uploaded to a server in the sub-basement of Ryan, then emailed to Don and Steve, who will read them on air at the end of the season.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago

I hear they're going to install a giant fax machine in the South Lobby. All faxes will be scanned and uploaded to a server in the sub-basement of Ryan, then emailed to Don and Steve, who will read them on air at the end of the season.
Emailed by Wi-Fi?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I have more modest dreams...just get more than 1 tupperware bin per metal detector. Total cost of $8 at job lot to purchase a half dozen more and be able to move the line more quickly through the door for big games. The state can give 1 and fundraise the other 7 to get it done ;) .
5 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I have more modest dreams...just get more than 1 tupperware bin per metal detector. Total cost of $8 at job lot to purchase a half dozen more and be able to move the line more quickly through the door for big games. The state can give 1 and fundraise the other 7 to get it done ;) .
Everyone should just bring one in from home; you know, the one you can't find a matching lid for any more.
7 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I have more modest dreams...just get more than 1 tupperware bin per metal detector. Total cost of $8 at job lot to purchase a half dozen more and be able to move the line more quickly through the door for big games. The state can give 1 and fundraise the other 7 to get it done ;) .
Everyone should just bring one in from home; you know, the one you can't find a matching lid for any more.
......this is solidly among the early season post award entries......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Don't even need more Tupperware containers.. this game they had us take stuff out of pockets and carry it in over our heads.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Security Theater

They probably won’t know what to do when my wheelchair sets off the metal detector.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago Don't even need more Tupperware containers.. this game they had us take stuff out of pockets and carry it in over our heads.
At 6pm they had us use the plastic bins at North Entrance but it was quiet then. Maybe they changed it when it got busier?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Security Theater

They probably won’t know what to do when my wheelchair sets off the metal detector.
In all the confusion, it might be on you, then, to sneak in the Ed Cooley/hot dog picture.
5 x