11/15 | Alabama | 7:30PM (NBC Sports)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/15 | Alabama | 7:30PM (NBC Sports)

Unread post by ramster »

Nate Oates gets Keon Ambrose. Dayton was in his Final 5.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/play ... ommitment/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago Went back and watched the game and realized Dana scored 11 not 9 how did that get screwed up?
Scoreboard never worked to show correct player numbers who were on the floor. Player numbers would flicker on the display but be incorrect. Player fouls and points were never correct on the display board.
Since no info on display fans tried to get info on Wi-Fi but Wi-Fi doesn’t work in Ryan Center regardless of how many people are in the arena.
Trying to get on line through carrier thus avoiding Wi-Fi is still very slow or doesn’t work at all.

So there was no way of knowing how many points any individual had. Nobody would have known if a player got credit for a basket he didn’t make. Only the official scorer would have known.

Scoreboard never worked.

Just as at Alumni/Family Day Sold Out Football Game the Key Info never worked the entire game (Yard Ball is On; Yards to Go for First a down;) Fans were in the dark. Then same for Basketball with SEC Team in Ryan Center First a time ever - no scoreboard.

Never could get scoreboards to work at either the Elon Football or Alabama Basketball Games. It’s one thing not to work, but also bad that the issue never gets fixed for the entire game.

Questions are:
Who is in charge?
Are key systems like these tested pre-game?
If not tested in dress rehearsals pre-game can we start testing in advance now? Have we learned our lessons?
How do we prevent from happening again?
How and When do we fix Wi-Fi and Cell Phone reliability in Ryan Center?
Could URI Engineering and Communications Schools Team Up on this challenge?
No excuses.

The National Anthem Singer at Alabama Game was singing with no audio, then it kicked in half way through and was too loud. I felt terrible for the singer. Same questions as for scoreboard.

I should add that it is difficult to hear what anyone is saying on the speaker system.
I will say...my BlackCrackBerry works just fine in the Ryan Center... ;)
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago Went back and watched the game and realized Dana scored 11 not 9 how did that get screwed up?
Scoreboard never worked to show correct player numbers who were on the floor. Player numbers would flicker on the display but be incorrect. Player fouls and points were never correct on the display board.
Since no info on display fans tried to get info on Wi-Fi but Wi-Fi doesn’t work in Ryan Center regardless of how many people are in the arena.
Trying to get on line through carrier thus avoiding Wi-Fi is still very slow or doesn’t work at all.

So there was no way of knowing how many points any individual had. Nobody would have known if a player got credit for a basket he didn’t make. Only the official scorer would have known.

Scoreboard never worked.

Just as at Alumni/Family Day Sold Out Football Game the Key Info never worked the entire game (Yard Ball is On; Yards to Go for First a down;) Fans were in the dark. Then same for Basketball with SEC Team in Ryan Center First a time ever - no scoreboard.

Never could get scoreboards to work at either the Elon Football or Alabama Basketball Games. It’s one thing not to work, but also bad that the issue never gets fixed for the entire game.

Questions are:
Who is in charge?
If not tested in dress rehearsals pre-game can we start testing in advance now? Have we learned our lessons?
No excuses.

The National Anthem Singer at Alabama Game was singing with no audio, then it kicked in half way through and was too loud. I felt terrible for the singer. Same questions as for scoreboard.

I should add that it is difficult to hear what anyone is saying on the speaker system.
I will say...my BlackCrackBerry works just fine in the Ryan Center... ;)

Maybe since our wifi technology is circa 2010 it is compatible with your BlackBerry since that technology is also circa 2010
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Scoreboard never worked.

Questions are:
Who is in charge?
No excuses.

I chimed in regarding some of this in the other thread but I'll repeat here:

-I can personally assure you that key systems are all tested pre-game. (In addition to my role at men's bball games, I run the scoreboard/handle PA at football, baseball/softball, men's & women's soccer & women's basketball)

-The issues with the auxiliary stat machines at Bama & Elon FB games occurred shortly after the games started and had to do with the data transmitting from the stat machines to the scoreboard/system. Efforts were made to correct each but couldn't get fixed while the games were going on. Obviously it's less than ideal timing and the circumstances stink but to suggest someone dropped the ball or someone's asleep at the wheel is ridiculous. It's technology... sometimes shit breaks or malfunctions. If this was a regular occurence it's one thing - but both these issues were isolated, in 2 totally different systems and I'm sure have been addressed and fixed immediately after the games.

-I can't speak on wifi / cell reliability at the Ryan Center. I feel the same as you all and wish it was better.

-Anthem Singer snafu was a communication issue. We have multiple microphones and there was a miscommunication as to which microphone Vinny was going to be using. Props to him - he was an absolute pro and powered thru it.

-I don't want this response to come off as me making excuses. The bottom line is there are dozens and dozens of extremely talented and hardworking folks behind the scenes who work their asses off to ensure gameday operations run smoothly for every game at Meade & The Ryan Center. 99% of the time everything runs so well, no fans even realize how much work, collaboration, and effort goes into the entire show in the hours before anyone walks in. Shit, there's a team of interns and staff who essentially run around all game just to make sure I have everything I need and know where to go, what to say, and when to say it. I guess what I'm getting at is that the criticism and feedback is fair - but to suggest nobody cares or someone's asleep at the wheel is grossly inaccurate and offbase.

That's all I got

JV

-
6 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Good job JV. There are way too many complainers on this board.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Good job JV. There are way too many complainers on this board.
+1
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago

Scoreboard never worked.

Questions are:
Who is in charge?
No excuses.

I chimed in regarding some of this in the other thread but I'll repeat here:

-I can personally assure you that key systems are all tested pre-game. (In addition to my role at men's bball games, I run the scoreboard/handle PA at football, baseball/softball, men's & women's soccer & women's basketball)

-The issues with the auxiliary stat machines at Bama & Elon FB games occurred shortly after the games started and had to do with the data transmitting from the stat machines to the scoreboard/system. Efforts were made to correct each but couldn't get fixed while the games were going on. Obviously it's less than ideal timing and the circumstances stink but to suggest someone dropped the ball or someone's asleep at the wheel is ridiculous. It's technology... sometimes shit breaks or malfunctions. If this was a regular occurence it's one thing - but both these issues were isolated, in 2 totally different systems and I'm sure have been addressed and fixed immediately after the games.

-I can't speak on wifi / cell reliability at the Ryan Center. I feel the same as you all and wish it was better.

-Anthem Singer snafu was a communication issue. We have multiple microphones and there was a miscommunication as to which microphone Vinny was going to be using. Props to him - he was an absolute pro and powered thru it.

-I don't want this response to come off as me making excuses. The bottom line is there are dozens and dozens of extremely talented and hardworking folks behind the scenes who work their asses off to ensure gameday operations run smoothly for every game at Meade & The Ryan Center. 99% of the time everything runs so well, no fans even realize how much work, collaboration, and effort goes into the entire show in the hours before anyone walks in. Shit, there's a team of interns and staff who essentially run around all game just to make sure I have everything I need and know where to go, what to say, and when to say it. I guess what I'm getting at is that the criticism and feedback is fair - but to suggest nobody cares or someone's asleep at the wheel is grossly inaccurate and offbase.

That's all I got

JV

-
Thanks for the responses.

I think in the case of both Scoreboard Issues that lasted the entire game it would have been good to have had the PA Announcer informed the crowd that “we are aware of the problem and we are doing our best to resolve it.” Just a simple apology and what’s being done to fix the problem. I did not hear anything said to inform at either game. Maybe I missed it and if so then I apologize. If people just hear an update they can generally understand but no mention at either game is an opportunity to improve communication.

At the Ryan a back up that would have alleviated the frustration would have been to have a working Wi-Fi System. Thus complaint has been a long running one.

Of all the Elon Scoreboard Issue, Alabama Scoreboard Issue and Anthem Microphone Issue, all 3 of these are more one-offs. Easily the Wi-Fi is the biggest opportunity for improvement because it happens every game and is not an issue in the majority of arenas.

At the Elon Football Game thread I mentioned it would have been good if the PA Announcer had verbally said “third down, 4 yards to go from the Elon 36” - as he tried to fill in for the scoreboard malfunction. Could have apologized and given the status to the crowd but instead all were left in the dark.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Appreciate everything you do, EZ! I want a packed house every game just to see you whip it into a frenzy!

What's the latest on that smartphone light app? Would be great to have more participation at the game.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PS: I was locked out of this site for days - including the Bama game. So I didn't get a chance to say this was the most fun I've had at a game since the glory days of JT and EC.
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Appreciate everything you do, EZ! I want a packed house every game just to see you whip it into a frenzy!

What's the latest on that smartphone light app? Would be great to have more participation at the game.
Thanks man.

The CUE Live app is going to take a bit more time to really get going I think. Marketing has been pushing it and we'll continue to educate fans pregame & I'll prompt everyone to get their phones out & app open immediately after visitor intros to get everyone into a routine. First game we had almost nobody participate, Alabama had at least a few dozen, hoping for some more tonight and then work up to get to a real good crowd for PC.

(Also - I said it in the other thread, but I wanted to emphasize that the app does NOT use WiFi/Cell Data to function - it uses ultrasonic audio signals to trigger your phone's flashlight. So as long as you've given the app the proper permissions & open it when prompted, it will work.)
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Cool! I'll fire it up tonight.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Thanks for the responses.

I think in the case of both Scoreboard Issues that lasted the entire game it would have been good to have had the PA Announcer informed the crowd that “we are aware of the problem and we are doing our best to resolve it.” Just a simple apology and what’s being done to fix the problem. I did not hear anything said to inform at either game. Maybe I missed it and if so then I apologize. If people just hear an update they can generally understand but no mention at either game is an opportunity to improve communication.

At the Ryan a back up that would have alleviated the frustration would have been to have a working Wi-Fi System. Thus complaint has been a long running one.

Of all the Elon Scoreboard Issue, Alabama Scoreboard Issue and Anthem Microphone Issue, all 3 of these are more one-offs. Easily the Wi-Fi is the biggest opportunity for improvement because it happens every game and is not an issue in the majority of arenas.

At the Elon Football Game thread I mentioned it would have been good if the PA Announcer had verbally said “third down, 4 yards to go from the Elon 36” - as he tried to fill in for the scoreboard malfunction. Could have apologized and given the status to the crowd but instead all were left in the dark.
Agreed, maybe an announcement was warranted in the situations to alert everyone further about what was happening. Let's hope it doesn't happen again so this is a moot point.

My reply was to address the "one offs", can't really speak to the Wifi/Cell Signal situation - I'm in the same boat as everyone & hope something can be done to improve it.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Did anyone notice the 1 - 2 - 2 zone press deployed against Alabama? It’s the first time I’ve noticed it used. I liked it. Saving some legs?
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

My one bitch about the Alabama game is that we got beat going back on defense at least five times (giving up 10 points) after we missed or made shots right under their basket. Just unacceptable. No more flexing our muscles after a good play. F that. Get back on defense.
1 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Appreciate everything you do, EZ! I want a packed house every game just to see you whip it into a frenzy!

I second that. EZ really is the backbone of getting this crowd going. I think people underestimate his importance. Appreciate what you do, EZ! A fired up crowd=fired up team=better chances of winning.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Did anyone notice the 1 - 2 - 2 zone press deployed against Alabama? It’s the first time I’ve noticed it used. I liked it. Saving some legs?
Agreed, it was a great way to slow them down after a make when they want to run it up the court. We also switched into an extended 2-3 during last 5 minutes. Thought those were both good wrinkles based on the scout.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago My one bitch about the Alabama game is that we got beat going back on defense at least five times (giving up 10 points) after we missed or made shots right under their basket. Just unacceptable. No more flexing our muscles after a good play. F that. Get back on defense.
Ha ha.

I think I know the exact play you are referring to. I said it at the time.
Tate for the breakaway dunk, stood flexing to the band, fans and cameras and Alabama quickly inbounded the ball raced down the court.
I’m sure Cox used that as an example in the post game key learnings.
4 x