11/15 | Alabama | 7:30PM (NBC Sports)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/15 | Alabama | 7:30PM (NBC Sports)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Vandy picked to finish dead last in SEC. Richmond picked mid pack A10, and playing at home, that's a game they should win. St Joe's picked last beating a preseason mid pack AAC team on their home floor. Do think VCU and SJU wins are of a higher caliber than Richmond.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think, for me anyways, any time an A10 team beats a P5 school it is notable. I don’t think UConn is going to be contending for a national championship this year, either.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Looking at the GoRhody Ticket seating chart, I'd say we get about 90% capacity tonight.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Rhody83 is right that 7000+ is doable given the students fill their 1500 seat allotment. Higher than that will depend on the number of walk up ticket purchasers and whether Athletics allows students above the allotment if the demand is there.
If they want to hold back 100 tickets or something I don’t have a problem with that, but otherwise no student should be turned away to the extent they have tickets remaining 30 minutes from tip-off. We don’t get enough walk-up business to justify it and we want students in the building for like 100 different reasons.
Let me correct you on your walk-up comment because given present circumstances the walk-up crowd is important. Since URI scans tickets, they know exactly the number of students in attendance and the number of walk-ups at every game and they monitor carefully the numbers in each category up to game time to determine whether to admit more students or not.

On average the number of walk-ups per game is 400-500, but each game presents a different situation depending on pre-sales, the quality of opponent, weather, etc. For example,the LIU had a small walk-up crowd of about 100, and the biggest walk-up crowd in history was for Nebraska when 1100 bought tickets. Walk-ups are important because they are paying customers and the $15,000 raked in at the ticket windows for Nebraska game proved that. But the benchmark for URI is the PC game where there will be zero walk-ups and the student presence will be capped at 1500. We can only dream about every game following that pattern, but that is exactly what VCU experiences. As for the Alabama game, the expectation is for a good walk-up crowd which will push Ryan to capacity. Just thought you'd like the facts, TruePoint.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Vandy picked to finish dead last in SEC. Richmond picked mid pack A10, and playing at home, that's a game they should win. St Joe's picked last beating a preseason mid pack AAC team on their home floor. Do think VCU and SJU wins are of a higher caliber than Richmond.
Richmond was favored by 6.5 points over Vanderbilt - they only won by 1 so Vandy was the Betting winner.

VCU was favored by 3.5 points but only won by 2. VCU Lost the spread.

UConn was favored by 13.5 points and lost to St Joseph’s by 9
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Fired up for this one

I am not be posting much / well, only positive posts !

I’ll be dialed in - GO RHODY

big game tonight - I hope to see a big effort from JH and TM !
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Rhody83 is right that 7000+ is doable given the students fill their 1500 seat allotment. Higher than that will depend on the number of walk up ticket purchasers and whether Athletics allows students above the allotment if the demand is there.
If they want to hold back 100 tickets or something I don’t have a problem with that, but otherwise no student should be turned away to the extent they have tickets remaining 30 minutes from tip-off. We don’t get enough walk-up business to justify it and we want students in the building for like 100 different reasons.
Let me correct you on your walk-up comment because given present circumstances the walk-up crowd is important. Since URI scans tickets, they know exactly the number of students in attendance and the number of walk-ups at every game and they monitor carefully the numbers in each category up to game time to determine whether to admit more students or not.

On average the number of walk-ups per game is 400-500, but each game presents a different situation depending on pre-sales, the quality of opponent, weather, etc. For example,the LIU had a small walk-up crowd of about 100, and the biggest walk-up crowd in history was for Nebraska when 1100 bought tickets. Walk-ups are important because they are paying customers and the $15,000 raked in at the ticket windows for Nebraska game proved that. But the benchmark for URI is the PC game where there will be zero walk-ups and the student presence will be capped at 1500. We can only dream about every game following that pattern, but that is exactly what VCU experiences. As for the Alabama game, the expectation is for a good walk-up crowd which will push Ryan to capacity. Just thought you'd like the facts, TruePoint.
Thanks for sharing the specifics on this. My point was more conceptual - there has to be a time and a number of tickets remaining where they can be reasonably certain that the walk-up sales will not fill the building. If it’s not 100 tickets at the half hour before tip, but rather 500 tickets at 15 minutes before tip or whatever the data on this says, there should be a mechanism to release to students tickets that they can be reasonably sure won’t be sold to the public.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing the specifics on this. My point was more conceptual - there has to be a time and a number of tickets remaining where they can be reasonably certain that the walk-up sales will not fill the building. If it’s not 100 tickets at the half hour before tip, but rather 500 tickets at 15 minutes before tip or whatever the data on this says, there should be a mechanism to release to students tickets that they can be reasonably sure won’t be sold to the public.
I assume the students continue to wait in line after 1500 have been let in for big games. I recall seeing additional students coming in shortly before tip off and filling in the 300 sections.

I don’t think there will be 1500 students tonight (I hope I am wrong). Second home game, Friday night, no big wins yet this season. It seems so many URI students go home for the weekend that Friday night is a tough draw.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

If you see a lot of green dots in the front of the 300 sections and not in the back of the 300 sections, the back ones aren't sold either. If the ones in the front of the section start selling, the ones in the back will become green. So, looking at this game, there aren't a lot of seats in the 300s that are actually sold.
Why are you trying to discourage people from counting dots? :lol:
I usually look for one dot...the one between our seats and the season ticket holder guy and his wife that have two on the other side...aka, "the coat seat".
Hey, ease up on the coat seats. We have 2 of them :lol: Honestly, we have 4 seats and sometimes we can’t get anyone interested in going with us because they are fans of that other team, which shall not be named!

The coat seat!!! :lol:

And blasphemous for them being fans of the Fryuhz!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I'd love to see a demographic breakdown age-wise as to who is attending URI basketball games. It does seem that there are a lot of people closer to my age (62) than there are in the younger age groups. Why is that? Where are the 25-45 year olds? I hate to sound morbid, but the people in my age group aren't going to be around forever. Time to start targeting the younger demographic groups in whatever marketing plan they come up with.
Boston...not much opportunity in RI unfortunately
This is true for me - I’m in Boston because my job literally doesn’t exist in RI. But there are 25-45 years olds in RI, obviously. I’m in that demo, and I’m a big fan, but I don’t have time to go to as many games as I’d like to and only part of that is being in Boston. I’ve been in Boston for 10 years, and I was at most games up until my first kid was born 4 years ago. Even with one kid, I was at a lot of games. Now with 2 kids, plus increasing responsibility at work, upkeep on my house, etc, etc, etc, my season ticket purchase is functionally a donation. I just don’t have the time, and it likely will only get worse before it gets better. But eventually the 25-45 year olds will age into that older demo, their kids will leave the house, they’ll have disposable income and disposable time, and in 20 years the average age of game attendees will be the same as it is now even when the current attendees have moved on to greener pastures.
Absolutely. I have to hand it to you, that's great dedication to make it down to Kingston from Boston -- adding in traffic/distance alone. I'm in my mid 30s, no kids yet, and live 15 minutes away, so there's no excuse for me NOT to be at games. I do have two jobs (which ironically both you can do without a college degree since the economy here lacks sufficient job opportunities for mid-career level people who have BA/BS degrees -- licensed realtor and service industry) so this season it may be harder for me to make all games, I might not be able to make the next two weeknight games. I specifically requested tonight off and got it, I still haven't heard back on if I get 12/6 on to duke it out with the Fryuhz.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Chris puts out such great stuff- we’re lucky to have him covering the team when he can.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Alabama now at -1.5
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Weird that the line would move away from us - you’d think public money would be hugely on Bama.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah always leery when the spread moves like that
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It did didn't it? We were -2 this morning now we are +1.5. Oops, I see what your saying. Not a gambler that's for sure.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Weird that the line would move away from us - you’d think public money would be hugely on Bama.
According to vegasinsider, the majority of people are on Alabama, but majority of the money is on Rhode Island.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... /matchups/
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Weird that the line would move away from us - you’d think public money would be hugely on Bama.
According to vegasinsider, the majority of people are on Alabama, but majority of the money is on Rhode Island.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... /matchups/
Well that’s somewhat comforting, I guess!
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

You can tell by the number of posts that people are struggling logging in. Looks like it will be a good crowd
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Andy Katz and Preston Murphy in the house
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Legend Jeff Ruland too
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I am here !

Good to hear about the crowd !

Let’s go RHODY !
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Is it just me or does the iHeartRadio App no longer switch over from music to the Rhody game for anyone else? Currently rocking out to Madonna rather than the Steve and Don pregame.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My friend waited on Preston Murphy yesterday at Twin Oaks
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I would t start JH anymore

Guy can’t stay on the floor
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

One was ticky tack
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Sure but when he consistently goes to the bench you can’t point to ticky tack all the time

It’s disheartening - seems like a great kid - pulling for him
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts with a quick 5
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s so frustrating how the fouls just seem to find him. Like statistically it is not possible for it to be random or coincidence but when you watch him it isn’t like he’s just recklessly hacking people all over the court. It seems like everything on him is close - either it is ticky tack and could be called or not called, or it’s a close block/charge call that could go either way...but every time it goes against him.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Sure but when he consistently goes to the bench you can’t point to ticky tack all the time

It’s disheartening - seems like a great kid - pulling for him
Yeah maybe coming off the bench after things settled may be good for him
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dana giving us effort and points

Tyrese needs to wake up !!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is a turnover clinic by Bama
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Oh good. The Alabama coach suffers from the same ailment our coaches normally suffer from. We get the deep three and he doesn’t call timeout and then we scored another. So sick of being on the wrong end of that one
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

It’s a good thing bama already has like 15 turnovers. Maybe they’ll go for the ncaa record in this one
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Here we go !!!

Dowtin feeling it with 11 on 4-4

29-16 URI
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Dowton three point clinic
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If more teams want to try and play us like this with no zone and running non-stop it would be greatly appreciated.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wish I was there but happy to be watching from the hospital.
6 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

The patented 36-12 run
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Watching from Orlando. Everyone else went to the magic kingdom, home with the baby watching rhody hoops
3 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

I won’t be satisfied until the final buzzer sounds.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I like Mekhi Longs game. A lot
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Anyone else having issues with the NBCSN video? Mine keeps slowing down then speeding up to catch up? Never seen anything like this before on TV.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I like Mekhi Longs game. A lot
Swiss Army Knife.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Anyone else having issues with the NBCSN video? Mine keeps slowing down then speeding up to catch up? Never seen anything like this before on TV.
Yep happening here too. I thought it was just me and something with my connection.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Anyone else having issues with the NBCSN video? Mine keeps slowing down then speeding up to catch up? Never seen anything like this before on TV.
Must be using the Ryan Center’s WiFi to broadcast.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes I’m also getting that weird video artifact.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes me too with the feed !! Glad it’s all of us

50-33 URI

Dowtin 15 on 6-6 shooting Fatts with 12
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Same with the video
0 x